Hair type confusion

Dejuan42

oh well maybe your right. But notice you said asian with type 1 not black

caress

As far as I know type 4 hair is kinky or nappy whether it's 4a or 4b. Type 3 is curly hair that you wouldn't describe as kinky or nappy. Cree Summer would be a 3 whereas Macy Gray would be a 4.

PrincessM

I have no idea what z shaped coils looks like... I think I'm a 4A, I can literally see & feel tight round curls that are about the size of a coffee stirrer when I touch my new growth.

Ever since I found out of this system I analyze everyone's hair in my head
my dad is definitely a 4a too.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I have a strange combo of hair types. There is a section of hair that has a wavy pattern going on. But the rest of my hair is a bona fide 4b.

inthepink

Hmm, I've kind of resolved to stop typing my hair b/c it doesn't really matter what type it is...because it is what it is. I guess I won't know for sure until I have more than 4 inches of new growth. I'm really just more interested it reacts on its own and to certain products.

I have noticed with the hair typing systems, there aren't enough of a variety of people's pictures. How can you tell what type you are or someone else based on a description and a photograph of one person?

I understand that it's used on hair boards so people can possibly look to see that someone has the same hair type, thus can potentially use (or at least try) the same products and hope for similar results. I tend to just look at someone's picture and see if their hair looks and acts similar to mine to judge if a product they used "might" work for me, too.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I've kind of resolved to stop typing my hair b/c it doesn't really matter what type it is...because it is what it is. I guess I won't know for sure until I have more than 4 inches of new growth. I'm really just more interested it reacts on its own and to certain products.

I have noticed with the hair typing systems, there aren't enough of a variety of people's pictures. How can you tell what type you are or someone else based on a description and a photograph of one person?

I understand that it's used on hair boards so people can possibly look to see that someone has the same hair type, thus can potentially use (or at least try) the same products and hope for similar results. I tend to just look at someone's picture and see if their hair looks and acts similar to mine to judge if a product they used "might" work for me, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very well said Hairlove! Seems like they always put pics of what they think is the best example of a particular hair type when in fact it is such a broad spectrum that really can't be put into one class.

Chichi

I think that Bizzy has type 2 hair; probably 2b because it looks like it is silky but a little coarse. Type 2s have hair that looks like there is a wave put in their hair. If you look at my hair when it is wet, it looks like a put a wave in it, when I didn't
(LOL). But my hair is coarse... I think that I would be a 4a except that my hair looks like an S-shaped wave instead of an S-shaped curl/coil.

Chichi

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
oh well maybe your right. But notice you said asian with type 1 not black

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm with you on the type 1 on blacks. I've never seen it. I'm not saying that they're not out there at all though. I just think that it's very, very rare.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good way of seeing it. I too look for a "hair buddy" since I'm unfamiliar to what works for my hair. All I do know is that my hair is drier than the Gobi desert. So far I'm drinking more water than usual and soon I will start taking vitamins and supplements.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the lady on the homepage of this site? She looks as if she has type 1 hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's Adrienne.

Nacai23

Oops, I think that person is Adrienne (sp).
I mean, how many of us have seen a black person with natural, straight, European type hair? I've seen blacks with 2a loosely waved, fine hair that can become straight with just brushing it. But natural Japanese, completly straight hair? It's just rare for a black to have this hair type. Not saying blacks with this hair type don't exist. Just thats it's rare. Let's accept that fact.

skegeesmb

That's because we don't think they are black. If you go by the one drop rule, there are many who fit that description especially down here in Louisiana.

To be real, there aren't too many black or non-black people with bonafide straight hair. 70% of the world have loosely curled, or curly hair. Many people (black and non-black) are faking the funk when it comes to straight hair (go to nc.com).

I think that with Black people since it's assumed that most black people relax we don't have the luxury of really faking it.

Dejuan42

my ex girlfriend is mixed with white and her hair looks straight but again shes mixed. Maybe people who've said they seen people with type 1 hair was talking about a mixed person who looks full black i know a black and mexican girl who looks full black

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Is there another site for hair typing besides this board and the napptural site? I have done search afer search and have come up with zippo. I too am VERY CONFUSED about my hair type

[/ QUOTE ]

The is another site that might help add light to Andre's. It was previously posted by Pressncurl. It's from Quidad Curl Guide on page 5 under the heading of Curl Pattern and Textures.

What I learned from this guide is how to better relate to Andre's hair types based on their curl pattern definition:

Curl Pattern in Brief

<ul type="square"> Loose Curl Pattern (Type 2s) = 2 inches wide in diameter, less define curl, wave (When hair is not in ponytail)
Curly Curl Pattern (Type 3s)= Curls fall into tendrils, 1 - 1 1/2 wide in diameter (When not in a ponytail)
Kinky Curl Pattern (Type 4s) Tiny ringlets of 1 inch or less in diameter, when pulled back you see "S" shape, a loose, reversed "S" like a "Z" or both. [/list]

The site has pictures with more detail descriptions.

This link is also now posted on "Hair Tips". Thanks Pressncurl.

melodee

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Bizzy has type 2 hair; probably 2b because it looks like it is silky but a little coarse. Type 2s have hair that looks like there is a wave put in their hair. If you look at my hair when it is wet, it looks like a put a wave in it, when I didn't
(LOL). But my hair is coarse... I think that I would be a 4a except that my hair looks like an S-shaped wave instead of an S-shaped curl/coil.

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi, I thought the type you are describing is type 3. To me, a 3 makes a complete spiral (as Bizzy's does when it is not brushed out)and wavy hair are undulating waves that don't close into a "C". I think there are many white people who are type two like Melanie Griffith and Meg Ryan. type 3 to me whould be Julianna MArgulies, Bizzy, and Mariah carey BC. These are "C" curl people. I dunno, this is my interpretation. That's why I say it's confusing.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Natural type 1? or relaxed

[/ QUOTE ]
Dejuan her hair is natural type one! No chemicals necessary when your hair is naturally straight!

ComfortablyNumb

I know a mixed girl who is type 1 also. I used to stare at her hair all the time becuase I was used to mixed people having curls (I know, silly me). But we went to DC one time and I shared a hotel room with her and her hair is definitely type one and very very fine.

Okay my hair kind looks like the top of Bizzy's. I guess it's really wavey because it doesn't really make a spiral until the very ends, the rest of the waves lay flat. The waves and the part taht urls is about the size of those fat kindergarten pencils. But I'm no Ananda Lewis. My waves are much smaller, like a third of that size. I guess that's why I think I'm a 3, but I don't know. I'm getting more confused.

melodee

I just looked at the Ouidad Curl guide. To me, Ouidad(the author whose pic is on the introductory page) has type 2 hair. To me, type three and type 4a hair will wave if you brush it and flatten the curl (like on the men's texturizer boxes and in Bizzy's case on the top of his head), but it's not truly type 2. My daughter has hair that becomes almost straight when brushed out. It appears to have loose waves (it's just like Ananda's), but it will form a corkscrew patten after washing it. It believe she and Ananda have type 3a.
There is an ad out in magazines now for Noxema skin cream that has a black woman model with what I believe as type 4b natural hair.

DSD, it's not that I don't believe you, but it's extremely rare that a black person has natural type 1 hair w/o straightening it with heat appliances or chemical.

Billygirl61

I s not Ananda lewis hair type1 meaning it goes completely straight when wet and then waves up when dry,my Aunt has hair like that and one of my cousins has hair that's completely straight when wet but when dry remains straight just my 2 cents worth

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
DSD, it's not that I don't believe you, but it's extremely rare that a black person has natural type 1 hair w/o straightening it with heat appliances or chemical.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is very rare and actually I couldn't believe it myself!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
You know I think I am going to stop trying to figure this out. In actuality it is not important as long as when maintain healthy hair and get the results we want. I am completey confused about my daughter's hair and I don't want the headache any longer. Her hair is healthy and thriving so that is what matter's most to me!

On another note, I have know people to use classifications as a way of saying my hair is "better" than yours!

There is no such thing,IMO, as good, bad or better hair. If your hair is healthy and thriving and growing it is good.
If it is broken and has a lot of problems it is bad. But bad can turn to good if properly taken care of. So in that cause everyone can have good hair!

melodee

I think type one hair NEVER waves up. Think Christie Brinkley or Cher (without perms or heat styling). Most type ones complain that they're hair can NEVER hold a curl. They are the ones who try to get permanent waves put in their hair for some volume and often it doesn't take or last. Type 2 IMO, waves but never really curls. It only has an incomplete "s", not a complete "c". Type 3 curls, and type 3's can have fat curls (A),medium curls (b), or small curls(c). Type 4 coils.