Hair type confusion

Billygirl61

I agree with you DSD on the hair types because sometimes some people use the hair types to say they have better hair than others and that is why I don not like to say what type of hair I have , just take care of it well and will flourish

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you DSD on the hair types because sometimes some people use the hair types to say they have better hair than others and that is why I don not like to say what type of hair I have , just take care of it well and will flourish

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes!!

northernbelle

As a relative "Newbie" to the LHCF, I certainly do not wish to offend any of you ladies with respect to the hair type categories.

Having said the aforementioned, I honestly cannot get hung up personally on such nomenclature. All I know is that I have Afro-Caribbean hair, of a fine texture, which is relaxed. From there, I attempt to purchase products which meet the needs of hair that is relaxed and fine.

With regard to hair styles, I take into account the following: face shape, hair texture, and lifestyle, in that order.

Just another perspective.

northernbelle

melodee

Northernbelle, you are right. Hair that is healthy is good hair. I've never doubted that. DSD,I'm with you! I don't use the hair type classifications to describe any hair except for on this board. I think we use the classifications b/c we can't see each other's hair and when we want to give product advice it is good to refer to some type of guide. For example, there are products that work well on curlies, but not on coily girls like me.
But I definately feel good about my hair no matter the texture and think it's da bomb!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Northernbelle, you are right. Hair that is healthy is good hair. I've never doubted that. DSD,I'm with you! I don't use the hair type classifications to describe any hair except for on this board. I think we use the classifications b/c we can't see each other's hair and when we want to give product advice it is good to refer to some type of guide. For example, there are products that work well on curlies, but not on coily girls like me.
But I definately feel good about my hair no matter the texture and think it's da bomb!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I also agee! Good way of putting it!

Chichi

hi melodee

Maybe he is a 3. I was just going off of one of the photos that Dejuan had posted and his hair looked kinda wavy in it (almost like a finger wave was put in)

I know one way that I could differentiate between waves and coils is that waves don't swirl around like a spiral. Like if I plucked one of my hairs out, the new growth (lol) will be straight BUT it has lots of ripples. It doesn't wind around like a spiral.

I think that some of the misconcenptions with hair classification is that the lower numbers (like 1s and 2s) are silkier or finer. This is so not true, especially for a 2C. My hair is definitely very coarse. The only difference between my hair and say that of a 3 or 4 is the difference which I described above. HTH.

Chichi

Chichi

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too. This is a very postive board. I don't think that anyone on it thinks that they have better hair than anyone else. We all have good hair! We have to talk about classifications because not all products (for example) work on all hair types. Why waste time on money on products that will not work on my hair type? It is so helpful to hear the experiences of someone with my hair type because 9 times out 10, my hair will behave the same way.

Chichi

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't refering to the ladies on the board. You all are awesome! I was refering to people I know personally, family friends associates. I understand comepletely why we do it here!!