Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

sharifeh

Aireen said:
Ah okay because I always wondered if there was anyone that actually LIKED the balancing conditioner, my hair hated it. I rather just let water soften my hair then use my own moisture-rich DC than use the balancing conditioner.

I like it but I also only use it to cowash. I dc after with something more moisturizing.
So how often do you do aphogee Aireen ?

Aireen

Re: Hip Length (HL) 2014 Challenge!

I like it but I also only use it to cowash. I dc after with something more moisturizing.
So how often do you do aphogee @Aireen ?
I don't use Aphogee anymore, @sharifeh. I really liked it, I used it at the start of my hair journey and it was basically like an answer to my prayers lol. It got rather difficult to get consistently - that one top of only being able to used it every 6 weeks was too much inconsistency for my hair since it loves protein. Also, when I did find it, vendors wanted to rack up the price.

So I did an impromptu curiosity length check and one chunk of lock reaches the top of my bra. I guess I can have a go ahead to join up with this challenge.
Glad to have you! We're all going to make our goals, even if some fall a little short, I'm absolutely sure that we'll all have some swinging long hair by the end of 2014, 2 years is enough time.

Angel of the North

I want to try the Komaza Care protein hair strengthener, if I like it, I will ditch the Aphogee 2-step, I just want to get through some of my stash first, trying to use up before I re-buy products. I still love the 2-min though.

Aireen I don't particularly like or dislike the Aphogee balancing conditioner, I think it smells nice, gives a lot of slip but I'm not too keen on the ingredients. It has made my hair soft after the treatment, but I only use it to co-wash and follow up with another DC. I haven't DC'd with it so I don't really know how it works as a stand alone conditioner.

sharifeh

Aireen

your hair loves protein? how did you discover this? what protein products do you use and how often?

kurlllz

Yay!!! A challenge for me!

- Current length + hair type: MBL + 3B, normal porosity/normal elasticity/medium texture/

- Regimen: wash with non-sulfate shampoo once a week.....co-wash once/twice weekly

- Plans to get to HL: no more bleaching hair....deep conditioning with shower cap weekly......keep ends moisturized and tucked away while sleep (and home).....sleep on satin pillowcase.....hmmm, I'll try to massage my scalp at least twice a week

- HL goal date: tailbone or longer by 12/31/13 the very last day

- Plans once HL is achieved: To continue treating my hair correctly.

Last edited:

Aireen

@Aireen

your hair loves protein? how did you discover this? what protein products do you use and how often?
Well when I'd use Aphogee, even though I was using good products before, my breakage would significantly be reduced. I used it up so quickly though and when I didn't have it, I can tell my hair missed it. I would have to go long periods of time without it (couldn't find it) and that along with the price people would sell it for made me give it up. :sad:

I started just using conditioners that had a significant amount of protein in it weekly or bi-weekly after my relaxers and would get better results than using Aphogee every 6+ weeks. (<- That was my aha moment.) I depend on MillCreek Botanicals Keratin Conditioner (recommended by @Nix08) mostly for my protein, it's natural and has keratin protein high on the list. Roux products also have protein high on the list and I like those a lot too, I've tried most and they're all really good. They're better used after fresh relaxer because they keep the hair balanced. Although, currently I'm using a bit of my Roux Porosity Control mixed with my Organix and loving the results. Another nice one is Alberto VO5 Hot Protein Moisturizing Intensive Creme Treatment, it comes in packs of 3 and leaves hair very soft + moisturized - has collagen protein high on the list.

I try to limit protein to when I have a fresh relaxer, protein tends to make hair hard and when I'm stretching I try to keep my new growth as soft as possible.

ETA: I still like Aphogee and have good things to say about it. I'd recommend it to newbies that really need a kick start with their hair regimens.

Whew, sorry for the novel, @sharifeh. :grin:

Last edited:

sharifeh

Aireen

thank you for the novel! :lol: I'm sorry for stalking you. :giggle: you have high density/fine strands right? I have dense hair and I'm pretty sure I have fine strands too.

Aireen

@Aireen

thank you for the novel! :lol: I'm sorry for stalking you. :giggle: you have high density/fine strands right? I have dense hair and I'm pretty sure I have fine strands too.
I edited it but I think you read before I clicked submit so I added some info in there about Roux, sharifeh.

Psh, stalking? LOL nahhh. I like finding out what other members are doing too. :grin:

Yep, high density with fine strands so it can look think or thin. :look: I hardly let flat irons touch my hair for that reason because blow-drying is already damaging and I just can't imagine frying thin strands between 2 hot plates lol. When my stylist used to use flat-irons after a relaxer my hair would get FLAAAAATTT but it's okay when my hair is under my care. I just prefer blow-drying results, super straight hair with body. I think that's why my hair really likes protein, fine hair usually tends to need that boost, you know? Does your hair like protein too? If you're not sure, don't go messing around too much - I've gotten in trouble with that before.

Last edited:

sharifeh

I edited it but I think you read before I clicked submit so I added some info in there about Roux, sharifeh.

Psh, stalking? LOL nahhh. I like finding out what other members are doing too. :grin:

Yep, high density with fine strands so it can look think or thin. :look: I hardly let flat irons touch my hair for that reason because blow-drying is already damaging and I just can't imagine frying thin strands between 2 hot plates lol. When my stylist used to use flat-irons after a relaxer my hair would get FLAAAAATTT but it's okay when my hair is under my care. I just prefer blow-drying results, super straight hair with body. I think that's why my hair really likes protein, fine hair usually tends to need that boost, you know? Does your hair like protein too? If you're not sure, don't go messing around too much - I've gotten in trouble with that before.

Aireen
:)
oh i see

my hair responds very well to protein. because i read so much about protein overload on here i try not to overdo it. I always get that feeling that I should probably use more protein. I hardly ever use the hard proteins though my hair seems to like the aphogee. my hair also responds well to henna

i have trouble with thinning ends and split ends. do you have that issue at all?

i also prefer blowout results better than the flat iron, you make a good point about the flat iron and fine strands

Aireen

@Aireen
:)
oh i see

my hair responds very well to protein. because i read so much about protein overload on here i try not to overdo it. I always get that feeling that I should probably use more protein. I hardly ever use the hard proteins though my hair seems to like the aphogee. my hair also responds well to henna

i have trouble with thinning ends and split ends. do you have that issue at all?

i also prefer blowout results better than the flat iron, you make a good point about the flat iron and fine strands

Yeah the MillCreek isn't like at the level of Aphogee so it can be used more often but because of the high protein content, it doesn't leave my hair particularly soft with slip. I get very strengthened/durable hair with it. I like it a lot, when my health store doesn't have it in stock I get mad. :lol:

This may sound weird but I had more of a problem with midshaft splits. I would get them from using the comb attachment from blow-dryers. Started air-drying and with trims, got rid of them. Now I'm back to blow-drying again but I use my own wide tooth comb and a nozzle attachment to blow-dry in sections. So that solved the problem.

Uhm, I have suffered from thin ends and splits before but only when I would be extra lazy with my hair. I get my ends trimmed really well and if I see any thinning or splits, I snip them off so I never have a chronic problem with them. There was one time though that I was not washing or combing my hair for a long time, just putting it in a bird's nest of a bun and expecting my hair to cooperate when I was finally ready to wash without detangling first. I was also deep in a stretch, going through a breakup, had exams and used protein on my hair when I wanted to wash. Yeah... that was a lot of abuse and stress for my hair and gave me a setback. Happened during a very stressful period so I don't blame myself, was a teachable moment. Overall my hair doesn't need a lot to retain and look good, I'm very hair lazy and my hair actually likes my low maintenance regimen but there's a difference between neglect and low maintenance.

I would say if you're having trouble with thin ends + splits, you should keep your hair very balanced and try to trim lightly by using the search and destroy method. Any time you notice a split, snip it off and use that time to clip off the bad ends, @sharifeh. Keeping hair protected at night also helps tons.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B

Did someone mention millcreek:look: Love the stuff:yep:....I love all of their protein conditioners: Keratin, Henna and one other that I'm forgetting now. They strengthen without leaving your hair feeling crisp. I used that Aphogee stuff once and couldn't deal. My hair also loves protein. I use protein maybe 3 times a week (I cowash daily). I was on the over moisturized side of things for a while but once you get the right proteins going...you don't really have to worry about being too far on either end protein or moisture.

Another nice protein is Aubrey Organic Blue Camomille:yep:

BGT

I might join this challenge. I'm BSB now, hoping to make BSL by March and WL by December 2013. I can't imagine what HL would look on me. :lol:

Aireen

Did someone mention millcreek:look: Love the stuff:yep:....I love all of their protein conditioners: Keratin, Henna and one other that I'm forgetting now. They strengthen without leaving your hair feeling crisp. I used that Aphogee stuff once and couldn't deal. My hair also loves protein. I use protein maybe 3 times a week (I cowash daily). I was on the over moisturized side of things for a while but once you get the right proteins going...you don't really have to worry about being too far on either end protein or moisture.

Yesssss! :yay: Took the words right out of my mouth! Totally agree 110%.

I might join this challenge. I'm BSB now, hoping to make BSL by March and WL by December 2013. I can't imagine what HL would look on me. :lol:

Join, I kind of wanted to make it to an overall long hair care challenge anyway and you and I are at the same length, BGT.

WaistLengthDreams

I feel a little cray cray for joining in on this challenge because I was SO sure that BSL would be my ultimate goal when I joined this site. But here I am (hopefully, not foolishly) throwing my hat into the ring for hip length hair in 2014.

Current length + hair type:
MBL, Relaxed and Type 4 something

Regimen
Wash, Deep Condition, leave-in and style. For 2013 I'm trying to airdry more and continue bunning as I have been doing. I'll update on my 2014 goals at the end of next year. Also, I'll be doing protein treatments and Hot Oil Treatments, as needed.

Plans to get to HL Buns, Buns and more Buns!

HL goal date
December 31, 2014. I can't predict the future so I'm taking all the time I can get.

Plans once HL is achieved
Figuring out how to maintain my hair's length and fullness while wearing it out in styles like braid outs and twist outs.

Aireen

I feel a little cray cray for joining in on this challenge because I was SO sure that BSL would be my ultimate goal when I joined this site. But here I am (hopefully, not foolishly) throwing my hat into the ring for hip length hair in 2014.
It's the hair anorexia... it's a beast. :nono:

Aireen

So the official start for this challenge is almost here and I haven't seen any updates! How's everyone doing? What are you doing to your hair lately? How are you feeling? Growth spurts? Christmas plans? Pictures? (<- I'm not pushing but if you have 'em, POST!)

@Angel of the North, @bebezazueta, @ChocolatePie777, @DanaFenty, @Danniquin, @Fhrizzball, @Gobal, @jesusislove1526, @JoyBelle, @kurlllz, @MIZZKAY, @MsJamerican, @Nix08, @nyqtpy21, @pre_medicalrulz, @SerenavanderWoodsen, @sharifeh, @soldier4hair, @SunRai Naturals, @WaistLengthDreams, @Waistlengthhopeful328, @WantNatural

My UPDATE: My hair feels and looks really thick. I have a bottle of Roux PC and I've been adding it to my conditioner for wash day, it's doing my hair good so I'm making this a weekly thing. I'm looking forward to relaxer day whenever that will be, most likely sometime in January. I've also been blow-drying again.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I am relaxing on Christmas morning & will post it as a starting pic that evening.

Aireen

I also have a bottle of roux for about 4 months now. Wasn't sure on the best way to use it. So in conditioner works best for you? What about in conditioner for a cowash only?

Aireen

I am relaxing on Christmas morning & will post it as a starting pic that evening.

@Aireen

I also have a bottle of roux for about 4 months now. Wasn't sure on the best way to use it. So in conditioner works best for you? What about in conditioner for a cowash only?
I haven't tried it any other way but I don't think I will, this way works too well and I want the benefits of my conditioner but enhanced by the Roux PC. I guess it could work in a co-wash but I would mix it in my last conditioner wash. There's a thread on the various ways to use it and it really convinced me to try it, I'll find it for you and post it here, pre_medicalrulz.

I have no updates :lol:. I attempted to wear my hair unstraightened recently and it was a hot mess of all hot messes. My roots are sooooooo frizzy compared to the relaxed hair. I wanted to do a touch up so badly. I can't believe I was natural all that time . Idk how I dealt with the frizz factor. The new growth isn't even very curly, it's just insanely frizzy and depressing lol.
But I will be patient and probably wait till April when it gets humid to relax again, that's about an 8 month stretch or so. I'm soooooooo afraid of re-relaxing areas but it seems unavoidable.
I see my rollersets getting slightly more annoying at the roots too... the relaxer REALLY helped with that but I'm still going to hold off till Spring to re relax. I don't plan to go curly in the winter so there is no excuse for a touch up when a flat iron gets me silky straight.

I know this wasn't length related but it's whats going on :lol:

Aireen

I have no updates :lol:. I attempted to wear my hair unstraightened recently and it was a hot mess of all hot messes. My roots are sooooooo frizzy compared to the relaxed hair. I wanted to do a touch up so badly. I can't believe I was natural all that time . Idk how I dealt with the frizz factor. The new growth isn't even very curly, it's just insanely frizzy and depressing lol.
But I will be patient and probably wait till April when it gets humid to relax again, that's about an 8 month stretch or so. I'm soooooooo afraid of re-relaxing areas but it seems unavoidable.
Have you tried protecting with product to help with overlapping? I notice people either use oil or protein conditioners.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
'Kay didn't find the thread but I found the page that also really pushed me to start using Roux PC. I use method #5 of adding it to my DC, pre_medicalrulz. I remember in the thread some people couldn't use it weekly otherwise they'd get protein overload whereas others had hair that thrived with weekly use so keep that in mind.

http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2008/09/porosity-control-conditioner-101.html

Ok thanks for this! I will read through the thread slowly. Lawd knows I don't need any setbacks. :(

bebezazueta

Relaxed on yesterday & will get the hubby to take pics on tonight. I was BSL last touch up & I made it back to MBL. So now I'm 6 inches from HL! Plenty of time. I'm so excited!

sharifeh

Yeah the MillCreek isn't like at the level of Aphogee so it can be used more often but because of the high protein content, it doesn't leave my hair particularly soft with slip. I get very strengthened/durable hair with it. I like it a lot, when my health store doesn't have it in stock I get mad. :lol:

This may sound weird but I had more of a problem with midshaft splits. I would get them from using the comb attachment from blow-dryers. Started air-drying and with trims, got rid of them. Now I'm back to blow-drying again but I use my own wide tooth comb and a nozzle attachment to blow-dry in sections. So that solved the problem.

Uhm, I have suffered from thin ends and splits before but only when I would be extra lazy with my hair. I get my ends trimmed really well and if I see any thinning or splits, I snip them off so I never have a chronic problem with them. There was one time though that I was not washing or combing my hair for a long time, just putting it in a bird's nest of a bun and expecting my hair to cooperate when I was finally ready to wash without detangling first. I was also deep in a stretch, going through a breakup, had exams and used protein on my hair when I wanted to wash. Yeah... that was a lot of abuse and stress for my hair and gave me a setback. Happened during a very stressful period so I don't blame myself, was a teachable moment. Overall my hair doesn't need a lot to retain and look good, I'm very hair lazy and my hair actually likes my low maintenance regimen but there's a difference between neglect and low maintenance.

I would say if you're having trouble with thin ends + splits, you should keep your hair very balanced and try to trim lightly by using the search and destroy method. Any time you notice a split, snip it off and use that time to clip off the bad ends, Keeping hair protected at night also helps tons.

Thanks for all the tips Aireen
I guess I have to find that balance between low mani and neglect. :giggle:
I think in 2013,I'm gonna put myself on a regular dusting schedule and see if that helps.

In terms of a starting pic, I hope to be relaxing my hair on Friday. I'm thinking of cutting it all the way back up to SL for a fresh start. We'll see.

i also think I'm gonna stop stretching so long. It doesn't seem to work for me.

sharifeh

Nix08

I've tried AO blue camomille before , it was good
I thought that was moisture. I liked it but it stank. :look: :lol:

Aireen

Ok thanks for this! I will read through the thread slowly. Lawd knows I don't need any setbacks. :(

Let me know what you decide to do along with the results, pre_medicalrulz! :grin:

Relaxed on yesterday & will get the hubby to take pics on tonight. I was BSL last touch up & I made it back to MBL. So now I'm 6 inches from HL! Plenty of time. I'm so excited!

Congratulations, bebezazueta! I'm so happy for you, looks like you'll make your goal WELL before 2014! Can't wait for the pictures!

Thanks for all the tips
I guess I have to find that balance between low mani and neglect. :giggle:
I think in 2013,I'm gonna put myself on a regular dusting schedule and see if that helps.

In terms of a starting pic, I hope to be relaxing my hair on Friday. I'm thinking of cutting it all the way back up to SL for a fresh start. We'll see.

i also think I'm gonna stop stretching so long. It doesn't seem to work for me.
Do you really need to cut all the way to SL, sharifeh? It's your choice but just be sure you're perfectly contented with that decision. I cut my hair tons in 2012 and I want my hair to grow back like yesterday. :lol:

How long do you stretch for?

I've tried AO blue camomille before , it was good
I thought that was moisture. I liked it but it stank. :look: :lol:
Yep! I like AO products but I can't get with that earthy smell, especially when hugging people.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sharifeh that one has milk protein and horsetail. The white camelia, I find really stinks the others I don't mind and the hsr and rm I really like the smell of.

Kindheart

I d like to be part of this challenge :)
Current Lenght : WL
Regimen : wash and Dc once to twice a week. Moisturize 2x everyday .
I hope to reach HL by oct 2013 ,i ll keep my hair in a bun or pinned up ,no other PS ,low manipulation,low heat .

image-1215835076.jpg

Starting pic Nov 2012

Last edited: