How Much do you spend per month on your hair?

naija24

Hey ladies!!

I'm a young professional in the DMV area and while I make a decent living, after all my bills and schl loans and gas/metro are paid, I barely have enough for myself and savings and for cute things like vanity purchases.

It's believed by some that to be seen as an "adult" in this city, a woman has to be willing to spend some real money on looking good and that includes hair. However you may feel about that comment, how much do you ladies from all over spend per month on your hair? Do you have a hair budget?

I thought I could spend more than $50/mo on hair but now it feels/seems/costs ridiculous to me. Sew ins alone are eating into my grocery budget :(

No wonder more women are going to the dominican salons. $25 FOR A WASH AND SET?? yasss

toaster

I do my hair at home and it looks very professional/neat/cute (whatever look I'm going for that day).

I had to make some investments first: Pibbs dryer ($300) and a stand-up steamer ($140).

The products I use (It's a 10 line, coconut oil, Entwine Butter Cream, and an assortment of butter mixes) range from $10-$50.

So... it depends. Upfront I probably spent $800 on all my hair needs (products, appliances, rollers).

Per month I just buy whatever I've run out of. Most of my products last me 6-8 weeks so as long as they don't all run out at the same time I probably average $30-$50 per month on my hair.

It's worth it for me.

ETA: I also stock up on sales. When Entwine had a sale I bought two butter creams for less than I pay for 1. That will last me 12 weeks. AveYou carries It's a 10 so I always buy $100 worth, use the coupon code, and get it for $75. It can be expensive in the beginning when you're testing out what works, but once you've figured it out it gets better.

Last edited:

Willow00

I spent $7 bucks on grape seed oil, $4 on castor oil, $4 on tea bags, and $2 on apple cider vinegar (it "shampoos" my hair). They will last almost the whole year. I also have $2 dollar shampoo bars that I haven't used in a while. I don't use commercial conditioners, but it has been a long while since I've conditioned my hair with egg and avocado. I don't spend much on my hair. Since my hair looks fuzzy even when I used high quality butters and styling gels many moons ago, I just accepted my hair for what it is...a fuzzy diva. I wear twists, buns/updos, and twistouts often and have gotten compliments on them. I think they are professional enough for me.

If I'm just pure lazy with my hair for weeks/months on end, I get a couple of cute and affordable synthetic hair wigs and rotate them. I can't take care of the human hair wigs at all. To wash synthetic wigs weekly, I just soaked them in a mixture of baking soda and water for a few minute and rinse really well with running water. Maybe cornrolling your own hair back and putting on a cute wig can stretch out your hair care budget?

btw, wear a silk beanie cap BEFORE you put on the wig stocking cap...always protect your hair.

Dee Raven

I think I'm pretty cheap as far as hair cost. I hate the salon therefore save 100s of dollar a year on that. My staples are PM the Conditioner ($24), curls creme brulee or some other styling cream ($10-15), detangling contioner ($4), deep conditioner ($15-30) and shampoo ($5-15). All of these products last for several months, some more than that. So ya, I'm averaging maybe 15 a month. Really cheap.

faithVA

When I first went natural, my hair was only 2" so I paid the money to get braid or twist installs. After it got a certain length I started doing my hair myself and learned to do my own installs. So initially I spent about $200 every 3 months to get my hair done. Now I do it myself.

When I was relaxed I got my hair down every 2 weeks it was about $65 each time.

Spending more than 5% of your budget on hair is probably not a good idea unless you are financially sound.

Most months I don't spend anything on hair and sometimes I spend $20 to $40 buying products and gadgets. But technically I don't need to spend any money since I have enough junk :lol:

leona2025

I do my hair at home. I go to stylist maaaaaaaaybe once a year. My initial cost was conditioner (ORS Masque 10.49) lasts me several months, Shampoo (Joico Moisture Recovery liter size 19.99 at Ross) will last at least a year, AG Fast Food leave in large (17.00-5 (ulta coupn)) lasts me a year, and a small sample bottle of Redken Antisnap (I think this is $4-$6) lasts me 6 months.

Those are my staples. I wash once or twice a week. That works out to about $5 or $6 a month:lachen::lachen::lachen:.

My styles are braidouts, buns, ponytails, and down with curls. I have mastered doing all that myself. I would suggest you learn to style your own hair.

I watched a ton of youtube tutorials on flatironing and combined all that knowledge to find a way that works for me.

Last edited:

cutiebe2

I have a ton of hair products so I rarely buy anything new. I just spend on getting my hair braided every few months which is 100 everytime. If you average it out over the year about 30 per month

ronie

Like toaster said i invested upfront to buy professional (bowdryer...$150, flat iron...$150, steamer...$110, combs...$60, brushes...gifted), all needed products and accessories. I do my hair myself, and it looks very neat. I only buy what i run out of. My products last 6 months or more since i have many on rotation. My main lines are silk dreams and claudie revitalizer. I haul on black friday (about 100$ each line after discount), and i pick up 1-2 products during the year if there's a sale or i run low. I love to have back ups. Other products i use on the regular (marie dean butter, elucence shampoo, as i am coconut cowash, evco, grapeseed oil) can last about a year. These cost less than $100.

My salon brand products ( joico, kerastase, macadami nut oil, phyto, tigi... from serum to masks) i use on occasion to get rid of them or if i am using heat which is twice a year.

My pjism is the only reason i still buy hair products. I could easily go 2 years without ever purchasing a thing from any category... doing my hair weekly, including staple and non staple products in my stash.

To answer your question, less than $30 a month on average. I don't waste time at the salon. I don't get frustrated with people mishandling my hair, and i get to satisfy my hand in hair disease, lol.

Last edited:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
probably about $30-$40 per month, and that includes:

-hair masque
-1-2 bottles of conditioner
-gel (I usually go through 2 tubs of my moisturizing gel a month b/c I use it daily as my moisturizer and styler)

stuff that I use up more slowly, but that I have to re-up on occasion:

-shampoo
-hair bags
-shears
-hair ties
-bobby pins
-oils/serum/hair milk

ETA: when my inner PJ rears its ugly head, I can end up doing a lot more damage :nono: so when that happens it adds like $15-$30 on top of my normal spending, but I try not to go crazy, and I've gotten pretty good at sticking to my basics. it's muuuch cheaper to just stick with your tried and true :lol:

Last edited:

Duchess007

I agree that YouTube is a great resource to help you learn how to care for and style your hair. Do your own braids, use synthetic wigs for short hair vacations, and use whole ingredients and cheapie products to keep things inexpensive.

I kept my hair in small box braids (with cheap kanekalon braiding hair) for the first ~two years of my natural hair journey. Believe me, by the end of your first set of braids, you'll be a pro at it. :) Plus, nobody cares more about your hair health than you!

Braids can stay in about 8 weeks and will take 4-5 bags of hair, assuming that you re-braid the perimeter about one month in (~$2 each x 5= $10). You should use some kind of braid spray to keep your hair moisturized during this time (buy a bottle at the store for ~$5 to last you two months or make your own out of teas, botanicals, and oils for less). That's $7.50 a month while in braids.

Spend $75-100 upfront on oils, butters, and other inexpensive goodies, and you can make your own products all year.

And synthetic wigs can cost as little as $30.

It really doesn't have to cost a lot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I agree that YouTube is a great resource to help you learn how to care for and style your hair. Do your own braids, use synthetic wigs for short hair vacations, and use whole ingredients and cheapie products to keep things inexpensive.

I kept my hair in small box braids (with cheap kanekalon braiding hair) for the first ~two years of my natural hair journey. Believe me, by the end of your first set of braids, you'll be a pro at it. :) Plus, nobody cares more about your hair health than you!

Braids can stay in about 8 weeks and will take 4-5 bags of hair, assuming that you re-braid the perimeter about one month in (~$2 each x 5= $10). You should use some kind of braid spray to keep your hair moisturized during this time (buy a bottle at the store for ~$5 to last you two months or make your own out of teas, botanicals, and oils for less). That's $7.50 a month while in braids.

Spend $75-100 upfront on oils, butters, and other inexpensive goodies, and you can make your own products all year.

And synthetic wigs can cost as little as $30.

It really doesn't have to cost a lot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm really interested in making my own products, particularly conditioner and hair masques. One of these days!! I'm already starting to look into making flaxseed gel.

greenandchic

I do my own hair so I spend an average of $30/month if I add everything up and divide.

I spent ~$20 this month on B1G1 at Sally and a couple of things at the BSS. I actually don't need to spend another dime until maybe the end of June (for leave-in) because I have so much products.

I don't do weaves, braids, or anything that requires extra hair so I don't spend money on that. I DIY relaxers so I save that way too.

Holla

I don't see all what you see. I see PLENTY of sistas walking around DC looking mediocre as far as hair is concerned. Plenty of naturals who DIY with twistouts, etc. I straighten my natural hair myself but if I wanted someone else to do it, I'd pay between $30-$65. You can get a wash/blow/flatiron in Northern VA for like $30/$35 at an Ethopian spot. In DC, around U Street, it is higher.

To DIY, it's just about the cost of your products. That does not have to be expensive.

faithVA

I don't see all what you see. I see PLENTY of sistas walking around DC looking mediocre as far as hair is concerned. Plenty of naturals who DIY with twistouts, etc. I straighten my natural hair myself but if I wanted someone else to do it, I'd pay between $30-$65. You can get a wash/blow/flatiron in Northern VA for like $30/$35 at an Ethopian spot. In DC, around U Street, it is higher.

To DIY, it's just about the cost of your products. That does not have to be expensive.

Yeah, I went natural hanging up in DC. I loved the variety of hair in that area. So when I big chopped I felt right at home there. It seems easier to do your own hair thing in that area since you have some many different people, religion, cultures, etc.

Misseyl

I spent quite a few dollars in April and May. I chopped off my hair so right now I'm a product junkie. Steamer $116, Perm Rods, As I am Products, Carol's Daughter Products, Natural Oasis, SheaMoisture, Kinky Curly Knot Today, Shampoons, Conditioners, Deep Conditioners, Argan oil ($35), Emu Oil, ($25), Grape Seed, Coconut Oil, Olive, heck, it's like a new baby. Everything I need to insure I get the hair I want. I'm going to hide my credit card because everytime I enter a store I make a b-line to the beauty section.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
On average $50 or less and that includes wigs and salon visits. My Dominican blowout costs $40 and I get it once every 3 months.

koolkittychick

It averages out to about $20-$30 a month. I relax every 3-4 months, buy large sizes of the products I use (they are pricey but last a looooong time), and now that my hair is MBL, I have learned a bunch of pretty updos, so I didn't have to invest in pricey dryers, flatirons or steamers. I am a diehard advocate of the K.I.S.S. method, and it has served my hair pretty well. :yep:

southerncitygirl

Less than $15-20 a month unless I go to the salon for a trim and flatiron and I do that 4 times a year. I get my shampoo in liter bottles (lasts about 5-6 months) I buy my conditioner every 2-3 months. I buy my leave-in & styling products every 4-5 months as well as my moisturizers. My oils are what I use to cook mostly so those don't get replenished that often. Annually I spend maybe $600-900 on things hair related.

Last edited:

ivyness

About 350.per month when it is just maintenance and between 800-1200 if I need to install and maintain a sew in(every second month). An install with my own hair cost me about 450 two weeks ago.

When I am psing it about 15 per month which is the cost of my conditioner and olive oil.

Sometimes I feel like I work just to be able to maintain my hair.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
My products (large Humectess, large Alter Ego, large Therappe shampoo, clarifying shampoo, Emergeencee, KeraCare leave in) are about $120 for the year. Relaxer (Mizani $50 and $15 tip) = $260 (I go to the salon 4 times a year for this). Con Edison electric charges might be about $120 (about $10 a month) a year for my dryer.

$120 Products
$260 Relaxer at the salon plus tip
$120 Electric charges

So I spend about $42 a month.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Not much. I average around $33 a month.

$100 per visit when I get braids installed at the braiding salon. Normally go twice a year

$40 per visit when I get my hair pressed at the salon. My visits have been reduced drastically from around 12 times a year to 3.

Besides that, I do my hair at home. Oh and I average maybe $80-100 a year on products.

I don't count my tools. (Hooded dryer, steamer etc as they were Christmas gifts from my husband who also pays the electric/water bill for me to use said items. lol)

leona2025

About 350.per month when it is just maintenance and between 800-1200 if I need to install and maintain a sew in(every second month). An install with my own hair cost me about 450 two weeks ago.

When I am psing it about 15 per month which is the cost of my conditioner and olive oil.

Sometimes I feel like I work just to be able to maintain my hair.

:blush:I'd be bald first. Lol I could never spend that much on my hair. That's a carnote, lol:lachen::lachen::lachen:

ivyness

:blush:I'd be bald first. Lol I could never spend that much on my hair. That's a carnote, lol:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I know. I live in a city in Australia where there is ONE hairdresser who can do black hair well. I don't really have much of a choice if I don't want to look raggedy. The one time I let some random do my hair she pulled it too hard and I had to take it down that same night.

CodeRed

I was thinking about this the other day...This year I don't believe I spent as much as I thought I did. I had a lot of stuff but each individual product/ingredient wasn't very expensive and I only went to the salon 2 or 3 times this year. Next year it will probably be less... Next year I think I'm going to just spend whatever and not worry about it as long as my responsibilities are taken care of :lol:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
If I go to the Dominicans I spend $60 with tip

Kerastase salon is about $120 with tip

I spend another $20 a month on products and or supplements

curlyTisME

I spend $80 a month in the salon. That includes two blowouts with deep treatments and dusting if needed.

I also spend about $10-15 on an oil and serum to preserve my blowouts.

LiftedUp

I do either a relaxer + deep treatment or 2 deep treatments per month. I consider it an investment in my look. I snip the money from other places in my budget (e.g. entertainment).

claudzie

Strolling with Unicorns
I guess I am in the minority because most months I spend zero - that is, I have the products already purchased in bulk so I don't need to buy. The months that I get my hair braided however I spend between £60 to £70