How often do you wear your hair down?

felicia

Always keeping my hair up has made me feel less attractive. Is it ok to wear your hair down only on the weekends?

dynamic1

I don't wear my hair down very often. But lately I have been experimenting with wash and go styles. There is nothing wrong with letting your hair down. Just remember to give extra tlc to the ends. When I was relaxing my hair, I would wear it clipped up most of the time. But I would take it down for weekendor evening activities.

felicia

since being here i've become very paranoid about letting my hair down. i think that soon as it comes down.....BAM it's getting damaged, lol.

lonei

I use to wear my hair down alot, it think it contributed to the eventual wear and tear, so now after my Major Chop I keep it up during the week and down at weekends if I want.

MissFallon

I use to wear my hair down everyday last summer and the years b4 that. I started doing protective styles in December because i cut my hair and it was too short (IMO) to wear it down. I got so used to the protective styles that the three times (including today) tha I have tried to wear my hair down I don't know how to get it looking the way I want it to. I rollerset it and wrap it but it gets frizzy outside or my ends look frayed. I probably wont wear my hair down again until December 29th (1yr since the BC). I'm also scared that wearing it down without knowing what products to use may damage it. Its weird though because b4 I wore it down with no problem and it looked great but now its like I dont have any of those products anymore and cant remember what they are so I'm stuck witht he protective styles until I get the products right again.

I also thinkt he problem with my hair could also be contributed to the fact that last night I took the rollers out b4 it fully dried, and the other time I airdried which always seems to make my hair extra-full which I like until it gets frizzy.

MissFallon

felicia said:
Always keeping my hair up has made me feel less attractive. Is it ok to wear your hair down only on the weekends?

Wearing my hair up makes me feel less attractive too. I think it should be fine to wear your hair down on the weekends. Thats what I'm planning to do.

Arcadian

According to my SO I don't wear my hair down often enough. I'm currently experimenting with braidouts though. (but even with that he only see's my hair 2 times a week)

The trick to feeling pretty while wearing it up is using some nice hair accessories. I found that made me feel not so utilitarian.

-A

RainbowCurls

When my hair was relaxed I always wore my hair down. And I never got very far past shoulder length. I think the two are related.

Now I'm natural I wear my hair down or in a ponytail on most days. But, it's only neck length at the moment. When my hair starts to reach shoulder length I will be wearing my hair up a lot more and not making the same mistake I made when I was relaxed.

I used to hate wearing my hair up, I thought it made me look ugly.
But after a while you get used to it. Get some funky headbands and clips to make updos more exciting. You could also get a fringe cut, so it doesn't look as harsh.

crlsweetie912

Usually only a few days after a touch up. I just want to be like
TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! In about 6 months and see the results of my hard work!

Wishin4BSL

I wear my hair up all the time. Sometimes I try to experiment and wear it down and I always end up feeling paranoid and putting it right back up into a pony tail:look:

sareca

Rarely. My hair is SL and brushes my shoulder every second I have it down. That can't be good for my ends.

SilkyandSmooth

Not very often. I can get pretty annoyed with my hair hanging on my neck and back, so I prefer to wear my hair up. When I do wear my hair down, it's brushed back off of my face. I hate hate hate hair in my face. I mostly wear my hair down when I get touch ups, which is every 3 months. I don't like wearing my hair down in its curly state for some reason. I'll only wear it down when it's straightened, and I don't straighten very often because I don't like using a lot of heat on my hair.

danimani

Every couple of days. I don't wear all of it down because it's too thick. But I wear it half up/half down a lot. My ends are absolutely fine. I keep them moisturized and I always put my hair up at night.

I just can't get into the mindset of growing my hair long and hiding it until it gets there. It's just not for me.

Mizani_Mrs

ERRR SINGLE DAY! I know it's an LHCF no-no, but i love love love my hair. And so does my hubby. I feel ugly with my hair up. I'm sure if i wore it up daily that i'd probably would have retained an extra inch or so, but to me it isn't worth it. I still do not-so-damaging styles like steamrollers, or even a clip at the top and just the back down. the only time i wear my hair up, is probably 1 or 2 days out of the week when I need to wash it, so i'll oil it good and wear it in a pony or pony/bun.

Isis

I wear my hair down in a braidout whenever I feel like it. If I wear my hair up, I make sure it's always in a flattering style.

Cichelle

Very rarely will I wear my hear down. Yesterday, I was running late and ending up running out the door with my hair down and wet. But it's not something I do regularly. My hair isn't really at a length that makes me feel attractive wearing it down. But I have a feeling when I reach my goal length, I'll be so used to wearing it up that I'll probably continue that way!

Hair accessories help updos look better. A pretty clip or hair stick, for instance, can make a big difference. :)

planodiva

LADIES,

Why do so many of you feel unattractive wearing your hair up. I look really good with my hair up and feel that my bun is the most classic look. So chic and now a days that is why I prefer it.

I probably wear my hair down for two days after I go to the stylist which is every month (slow on the cash flow) nowadays. But every since 2004, yeah I'm kinda noid about wearing my hair down. Somedays I realize I'm kinda overboard but hey everyone has their neurosis

Iansan

I wear my hair down almost every day except for when it's in need of a wash or I am having a bad hair day. I didn't start doing this until I passed shoulder length though.

felicia

buttafly said:
I wear my hair down almost every day except for when it's in need of a wash or I am having a bad hair day. I didn't start doing this until I passed shoulder length though.

is your hair "safer" once it's pass shoulder length? i'm pass bsl. i used to wear my hair down all of the time and it was fine, but now i'm scared. *darn this board* :lol:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Never...I wear it in a bun 24/7 and I plan on keeping it that way til I reach my bsl goal...this is one of the reasons why I haven't updated my fotki, bun, bun, bun :look:

Iansan

felicia said:
is your hair "safer" once it's pass shoulder length? i'm pass bsl. i used to wear my hair down all of the time and it was fine, but now i'm scared. *darn this board* :lol:

My hair broke off a lot because of a weave. I kept it up mostly because I didn't want to look at it, and also because I was doing the whole protective style thing. But yea, supposedly it is safer once you pass shoulder length because your hair is not rubbing against your clothing.

locabouthair

hardly. i usually wear an updo when it's pressed. i dont like wearing my hair down unless it has some curl to it and since it i dont want to use heat. i go for the updo. and when i wear my hair down i sweat my press out more easily.

sylver2

felicia said:

I wore my hair out everyday even while I was growing it from a Halle berry pixie cut. Just keep your ends Oiled/moisturized.

Isis

sylver2 said:
I wore my hair out everyday even while I was growing it from a Halle berry pixie cut. Just keep your ends Oiled/moisturized.
I believe this is the key. :yep:

Nina_deF

Mizani_Mrs said:
ERRR SINGLE DAY! I know it's an LHCF no-no, but i love love love my hair. And so does my hubby. I feel ugly with my hair up. I'm sure if i wore it up daily that i'd probably would have retained an extra inch or so, but to me it isn't worth it. I still do not-so-damaging styles like steamrollers, or even a clip at the top and just the back down. the only time i wear my hair up, is probably 1 or 2 days out of the week when I need to wash it, so i'll oil it good and wear it in a pony or pony/bun.

Brownie

I wear mine down hardly ever. For me, the easy way is just to wear my hair up. I don't feel comfortable with my hair down. I didn't when my hair was texturized either or flat ironed. I like long hair because I think it's easier to style in up-dos and I just feel more comfortable with it up and out of the way. I don't like anything on my neck too often, and if it's down then I have to always check to make sure it looks all right. Too much trouble.

inthepink

I wore my hair down every day when I was relaxed and grew my hair to waist length.
After I began transitioning, I feel like I pretty much wore my hair up for 3 years wearing it down only occasionally. I could probably count the days on my fingers and toes. There was a period in there where I was really paranoid about wearing my hair down (I think that happens with LHCF sometimes.)

Now, over 3 years later, I wearing my hair straight and down most days of the week and up a few days of the week. I'm enjoying it. Wearing my hair up was starting to make me feel ugly. I just keep my ends moisturized.

ETA: I follow Wanakee's advice. Since I wear my hair down during the day, as soon as I get home from work or wherever, I put my hair up and put on my scarf.