Is it better to stick to one product line?

jaibee

Do you think that you should continuosly stick to one product line for every shampoo/condition you do or is it ok to use something different all the time. I always ask myself this question when I start going to a new stylist. I want to wash my hair today with either elucence or neutrogena triple moisture, but i'm going to the stylist for a shampoo on saturday and she uses mizani stuff. Some weird thing in my mind makes me think that I may mess up something if I use something different.

I think it depends on your hair and you in the end. Alot of product lines do build off of each other. However, at the same time, one shampoo may work well while a conditioner from another line is better than the one recommended from the current line. I just think it's trial and error and a personal choice.

just thinking about it just makes me want to forget the whole thing and just let her wash it on Saturday. But I can just visualize myself in the shower after work doing my shampoo and then getting out and doing my rollerset. you fellow hair obsessed females know the joy that i speak of.

I agree w/Patience that certain products only work well w/products from their own line. This was true for me about Kercare and it's Humecto conditioner.

As far as using diff products from time to time, GO AHEAD! You will NOT mess anything up if you use a diff line than your stylist. Pls don't feel like you're trapped to mimic what your salon uses; Experiment! ENJOY your hair and learn what works for you outside of the regular same 'ol, same 'ol. But also, listen to your hair. If it's not working (a product) then definitely try and find something that does!

There are no rules, girl!
wink.gif

I think (hope!) it's okay to use different product lines, otherwise I'm in deep deep doodoo with the vast VARIETY of different products in my cabinet that I am determined to use before shelling out $$$ for anything new. I've got everything from Joico, Queen Helene, Aubrey, Giovanni, Suave, V05, aphogee, etc. and my all time favorite holy grail line that I always go back to after all the flirting around, Nexxus. But it's fun trying new stuff, variety being the spice of life and all that . . .

I can't buy one product line of shampoo without at least the conditioner to match. I don't think that it's particularly necessary to do this, but in my case I just have a complex.

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
I can't buy one product line of shampoo without at least the conditioner to match. I don't think that it's particularly necessary to do this, but in my case I just have a complex.

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
grin.gif
me 2!

I use the Garnier shampoo and conditioner, but I don't always use them together. I alternate with shampoos, I use Garnier when I want my hair to feel cleaner, and the Optimum SP when I want a super moisturizing shampoo. I haven't tried their conditioner.
scratchchin.gif
The other conditioner I use is by Pink Lotion, but I don't use their shampoo.
whyme.gif

When I find something that works, i'm really cautious, because switching to another product might make my hair tangled and matted, and the detangling could lead to damage. That's a big risk for me to take. For this reason, I doubt that i'll ever stick to just one line, because for example I love Elucence MB conditioner, but the thought of trying their shampoo only to have my hair become dry and break scares me. I found a shampoo that doesn't dry my hair and I'm sticking to it. I want to try the conditioner from that line, but it's too expensive considering it's mostly mineral oil and cones.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I use stuff from various product lines, and it seems to be working out for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me Too I am always changing up products.
laugh.gif

that's my think. some shampoos make my hair so tangled it is ridiculous, and i have had dumb stylists use the wrong shampoos and rip my hair out trying to detangle the mess.

i like paul mitchell, elucence, and NTM shampoos, but my stylist used mizani last and i don't want my hair to have a bad reaction because of the mizani she used. i didn't wash last night but even though i'm going to her for a shampoo on saturday I think I'm still going to wash today cause my hair is limp (this is how it always gets when I need a shampoo).
[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
When I find something that works, i'm really cautious, because switching to another product might make my hair tangled and matted, and the detangling could lead to damage. That's a big risk for me to take. For this reason, I doubt that i'll ever stick to just one line, because for example I love Elucence MB conditioner, but the thought of trying their shampoo only to have my hair become dry and break scares me. I found a shampoo that doesn't dry my hair and I'm sticking to it. I want to try the conditioner from that line, but it's too expensive considering it's mostly mineral oil and cones.

[/ QUOTE ]

what she used last time was fine, but I'm scared if I used something different I will mess up what she is doing. I want her to keep using whatever she's using.

laugh.gif
That's a rational fear. Heck, that's why I bought KeraCare AND the same ceramic iron she used on my hair. I wanted the same results, too!

Since 11/03, I just use the Mizani line and Surge spray because I think the products work well together. Before that I just used whatever I kind of liked, and my results were not as good. I kind of think, using one product line keeps you focused and less distracted on good hair care, rather than what product to use next.

Using one product line [mostly anyway] keeps from going off in all directions and I know what each product is for and when to use it. I would get confused otherwise.

Back