4C Naturals, what is your routine???

faithVA

[USER=367733 said:
Adiatasha[/USER];19557529]Well... Right now I'm in a protective style. Here are pic of my hair when I'm not wearing a weave
We all love pics sooooo......

Flat twist... Kind of failed attempt

Real pretty hair. I like your bun. And I think your flat twist out looks really nice. Definitely not a fail. It looks really curly.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im heat trained. I average about 1 dominican blowout every month. I wear my hair straight for a month. Then I wear braids under a wig for 2-3 months. I cowash during my braid regimen and I get a dc before each blowout. Im retaining every inch, no breakage, no more ssk. Im happy with my hair. I shouldve done this years ago

moore.1506

Hey ladies. I'm a 4c/4b natural with bsl hair inching toward MBL. I'd love to share my Reggie if it could help someone.

First I put hair in 8 large twists

Then I deep condition on dry hair. The conditioner is a mixture of treseme naturals, yogurt, coconut oil, and coconut milk. I put a plastic bag and towel over my head for one hour. I untwist the hair when I put on conditioner and twist it back up.

Next I put avc and water in my scalp to loosen dirt and detangle with fingers, wide tooth comb, or denmen brush. I do one twist at a time and re twist after detangling.

Then I get in the shower and go one by one take down a twist shampoo my scalp and wash out the conditioner and dirt and put a small amount of cheap conditioner back on the section before re twisting.

Next I get out dry slightly with a towel smooth on leave (kimay tube leave in mixture) on one section then add Shea butter mixture and make three to four smaller twists on each section.

This is weekly. If I am not feeling fancy I keep the twists in till the weekend. I usually wear it loose, bunned, then in twists again. Buning at night with a bonnet or scarf. I put water and oil every other day.

Before I wash I start my wash day routine I make sure my hair is slightly finger detangled so it looks like a blowout of combed out afro before putting it in the large twists.

I'll be four years natural in June. Hope this helps someone! :)

Eta: I have fine strands but a very high density so my hair looks full. Its low prosperity it takes a lot of water before its truly wet. I don't ever do wash and goes. Twists are a must for me. I'll add a couple of pictures from my home computer in a couple minutes.

Last edited:

moore.1506

Here are some pictures, one of my fro, one of my shrinkage and one of my length stretched

Attachments

• IMG_20130718_101355 (2).jpg
    IMG_20130718_101355 (2).jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20140201_211833 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140201_211833 (2).jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 102

ronie

Here are some pictures, one of my fro, one of my shrinkage and one of my length stretched

moore.1506
You got beautiful hair. We have the same texture, and i wish i had your density. Your regimen sounds pretty simple. May i ask what kind of shampoo you use?
Also you did not mention long term protective styling; how did you manage to retain so well?

Last edited:

ronie

Hey ladies. I'm a 4c/4b natural with bsl hair inching toward MBL. I'd love to share my Reggie if it could help someone.

First I put hair in 8 large twists

Then I deep condition on dry hair. The conditioner is a mixture of treseme naturals, yogurt, coconut oil, and coconut milk. I put a plastic bag and towel over my head for one hour. I untwist the hair when I put on conditioner and twist it back up.

Next I put avc and water in my scalp to loosen dirt and detangle with fingers, wide tooth comb, or denmen brush. I do one twist at a time and re twist after detangling.

Then I get in the shower and go one by one take down a twist shampoo my scalp and wash out the conditioner and dirt and put a small amount of cheap conditioner back on the section before re twisting.

Next I get out dry slightly with a towel smooth on leave (kimay tube leave in mixture) on one section then add Shea butter mixture and make three to four smaller twists on each section.

This is weekly. If I am not feeling fancy I keep the twists in till the weekend. I usually wear it loose, bunned, then in twists again. Buning at night with a bonnet or scarf. I put water and oil every other day.

Before I wash I start my wash day routine I make sure my hair is slightly finger detangled so it looks like a blowout of combed out afro before putting it in the large twists.

I'll be four years natural in June. Hope this helps someone! :)

Eta: I have fine strands but a very high density so my hair looks full. Its low prosperity it takes a lot of water before its truly wet. I don't ever do wash and goes. Twists are a must for me. I'll add a couple of pictures from my home computer in a couple minutes.
moore.1506
Do you rinse that cheap conditioner out before getting out of the shower?

moore.1506

moore.1506
You got beautiful hair. We have the same texture, and i wish i had your density. Your regimen sounds pretty simple. May i ask what kind of shampoo you use?
Also you did not mention long term protective styling; how did you manage to retain so well?

Hi thanks! I use any cheap shampoo I was using dollar store shampoo. I like the kind that bubbles. I've used more moisturizing shampoo before but I have bad dandruff and need that really cleansing shampoo.

I do rinse out the cheap conditioner before getting out of the shower, however I don't take out the twists while rinsing.

As for long term protective styles I do braids with hair added once or twice a year, braids no added hair once a year, mini twists two or three times a year, tree braids or crochette braids once a year. I tried loose twists (urban bush babes YouTube) love them and will do that again. Also some times do a twist bun (taken down every other night) for two to three weeks three to four times a year.

Eta: retention is due to very gentle handling (my Reggie although simple takes 3 to 5 hours) I rarely ever comb out tangles I use my fingers to detangle tight knots. I do rare search and destroy trims no more than three times a year. Also I use henna treatments three to four times a year. Lastly I don't try to get rid of all my ssk there are too many so I just accept them and destroy them if there are tangling other hairs.

Last edited:

Adiatasha

Im heat trained. I average about 1 dominican blowout every month. I wear my hair straight for a month. Then I wear braids under a wig for 2-3 months. I cowash during my braid regimen and I get a dc before each blowout. Im retaining every inch, no breakage, no more ssk. Im happy with my hair. I shouldve done this years ago

I started doing this....

Weave for 3 months, dominican blow out for the one month I have my hair out and back to weaves.

The breakage has subsided.

Ill see where I am by the end of the summer

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I moisturize 3-4x daily. My hair loves moisture and I throw a wig on. I wash my hair when I feel it's dirty, DC and prepoo whenever I wash.

charmtreese

I classify myself as a 4b, but I guess my hair type could fit into the 4c category as well.

I have fine, medium/low density hair, which plays a big role in how it behaves and the types of styles I wear.

My current regimen: (subject ti change..lol)

1. Cleanse weekly w/ cleansing conditioner (entire wash process is done in 8 sections)
A. Pre-poo: coconut oil & conditioner & Amla, brahmi powders
a. Steam, section, and finger detangle
B. Reconstructor treatment
C. Moisturizing Deep Conditioner w/ heat
a. Finger detangle
D. Apply leave-ins
a. Finger detangle
b. twist
c. air dry
2. Moisturize and seal daily (1-2x)
3. Message scalp daily
4. Style in low-manipulation styles (ie. puffs, pinned up twist, buns)
5. Pineapple nightly, w/ Baggie and scarf

Adiatasha

I finally have succumbed to washing my hair in sections... I don't know why I thought the rules didn't apply to me. It works and I have waaayyyy less tangles