Is your hair like your mothers?

Is your hair like your mother or father?

• Hair like moms

Votes: 149 32.5%
  • Hair like dads

Votes: 310 67.5%

• Total voters

afrocentric_soul

I don't know what my mom's natural hair texture is like, but I know what mine and my dad's is like. He used to have braids and now he has locs. I definitely have his soft & extremely thick 4b/c coils. It's thick but actually the new growth is very easy to manage when properly moisturized.

asubeauty

My mom has really fine 3c/4a hair that she really doesn't know how to take care of, so she thinks it's 4zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :ohwell: My dad really has 4b/ 4c hair. I'm somewhere in the middle with 4a strands. I didn't vote.

oooh wee! I've got Dad's hair for sure!! Mommy's hair is fine, fine, fine, probably a 2/3 something. Dad's hair has got to be a 4 something. Me, I'm a 4a/b all the way. :)

YankeeCandle

You know what I realized since joining LHCF and seeing the huge variety of textures, densities, and patterns out there? My hair PATTERN is my father's (he's a 3c-ish; I'm 3c-ish in the front and a bit looser and loopier in the back), but my hair TEXTURE (soft, fine and limp individual hairs) and DENSITY (low numbers of hairs) are my mother's. yep:

My family have always thought my hair is a carbon copy of Daddy's, but in fact, only the curl pattern is. :yep:

Great thread...

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I don't use number and letter hair type descriptions because I don't get them (still after 10 years on the hair boards)

My hair is my dad's hair. No one can tell now b/c he's bald though. He had the thickest waviest blackest hair I'd ever seen. I fell in love with DeBarge b/c they had hair just like my daddy's. When we were kids, we used to braid his curls. Mine was thick but it's getting thinner with time.

My mom's hair is fine, fine, fine. When she wore an afro, it blew in the wind. She's been natural all her life and when she wants to wear it in a straight style, she pulls it into a ponytail, lets it dry, and adds some curls for body. I used to want her hair but frankly, it's too fine to do anything with. It never grew long because it's super fragile.

My dd1 is my hair twin and my dd2 is a combo of me, my mom, and my husband.

Genetics is a crap shoot.

maxineshaw

My hair is the splitting image of my mothers. The multiple textures, the density, the straight ends, and even right down to the "flop" in the front-a section that will not "fro up" without lots and lots of help. We have the same porosity issues. We even tend to have the same reaction to products. I sometimes can't stand that fact because she constantly acts like because we're so alike that means I have all the answers-so not true. I'm usually as lost as she is LOL.

We're both natural. Only difference is she color treats her hair.

sharifeh

My hair is similar to my mother's but hers is waay looser. She's a 2/3, and I believe I'm somewhere in the 4 range. I'm guessing my dad is a 4. I get my density and thickness from my mom though for sure. But we are different textures.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Haa, I wish!
We're both 4a/4b type, but my mom has dense, Tonka-tough hair. Her individual strands are nice and thick too....like little wires.

Mine, not so much. My hair is sparse and fragile, and my strands are fine, as is my youngest sister's. We're the only ones in the family whose hair doesn't retain length effortlessly. It comes from our pappy. :(

wheezy807

I wish i had hair was like my mothers. She was a natural 3c/4a. My father had 4a. My oldest sister has relaxed 3c and my younger sister :nono:(different fathers). My younger sister and i have great hair when we were younger. Now i'm happy to have 4a relaxed, healthy hair. I used to feel cruised looking at their hair compared to mines.

~NanCeBoTwin~

My hair is like my moms, 4b/c, but thicker than hers. Her hair was on the thinner side.

My sister however, inherited hair from my fathers side, she's probably a 2b/c-3a.

necklengthcutie

You know, I can't really tell. My mom has very silky, thick hair that she keeps boy short but when it grows it coils. Mine does that too except I have her mixture more in the back of my head (3c) and on the back sides and random places through out my hair.

Everywhere else (especially in the front) its a (3c, 4a mix) it waves instead of coils but this is just a small portion of it- throughout the head it coils as well. My mother tells me my father has "good" hair too which is a 3c,4a mix as well but I'm not sure of which I have the most of. Also, my hair is light sandy brown, while both my parents have dark or black hair.

Last edited:

producjunki

I have hair like my mother's. I don't go by the rating system because I don't know how to, but I think I have 3c/4a type hair and so does she.

I think that is a myth b/c my girls both got their father's straight 1 type hair. I am 4a and my oldest doesn't even have wave to her straight hair. My youngest has a very slight bend but now that it is getting longer, the weight is making it appear bone straight.

Miss AJ

I didn't know that term as used anymore, lol. You don't look high yellow in your Avi.

I chose that pic for my avi cuz I actually do look black in it lol. I tan real easy but ever since I left TX and MS I've been back to my regular bright skinned self. Hopefully I get super black again this summer, the New Mexico sun is no joke.

Truth

According to my mother.. I dont take hair after neither one of them.. My hair is exactly like my great aunt's.

Mz.MoMo5235

neither... my dad is a 3c/4a my mom was a 2b'ish.... i'm like 3b with some heat damage (of course i didnt inherit that lol but what ev)

LadyRaider

My mother's hair was a silky 2 or 3. So far I think my hair is like hers, without the silky. Though I don't think I have 2 hair. But she had some curls that look like mine, but hers were silky.

It's hard to tell what kind of hair my father has because it's always been short (military.)
My hair could be like his though. His edges/neckline look about like mine, at least.

RedVelvet310

My hair is like neither of my parents :perplexed I've never seen my mothers hair, but apparently my sister has her hair texture (which is a very fine 3c).. I have never seen my fathers hair but my aunt's (his sister) has thick 3a/b hair.... I have very very thick 3c/4a hair.. I guess I got my mothers hair type and my father's density.. not sure

hiphoprocker

couldn't vote, i have my grandma's fine hair, just alot of it lol.. my cousin actually has my moms hair.. my cousins dad and my mom are twins so idk. they both have really fast growing thick hair.

cocosweet

Hmm... I think I recall my mother saying my hair was like dad's but I've never seen his hair unmanipulated. He keeps it either cut really low or clean shaven, and when it does grow out he keeps it combed out. In combed out form it looks 4bish.

Mom hair seems to be 50-50 4a and 4b. My hair is 4a dominant. We both have dense hair but her strands feel somewhat coarse where mine feels like acrylic yarn when dry and spongy when wet.

However, my sister's hair was similar to my granny's: fine and more wavy than curly. You ever see people style their hair with water and vaseline? That'd be them.