LADIES LET's Talk...

cocomama

So yesterday I started reading the this article about black businesses regaining our own care market back from other races. After which I started reading the below comments:

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012...owned-natural-hair-care-lines/#comment-303210

iQgraphics
May 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm
I’m just waiting for all of the Hair Supermarkets in the hood to be owned by someone other than Asians.

Then I’ll smile.

ReplyReport

serene1
May 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm
That’s already happened in my home town. Left 5 years ago, came back and now there’s a black owned and operated beauty supply store literally next door to the asian owned one. It’s always busy and the service is top notch. I used to either buy black brands from Walmart or off the internet. Now I don’t have to! If we can get a natural salon so I don’t have to drive 2-3 hours in any direction I’ll be in heaven.

ReplyReport

binks
May 16, 2012 at 7:38 pm
I agree on that point that BSS ran by Asians are still a very big issues in this debate because they pretty much still have the market on lock with the distribution power firmly in their grip, making it hard for anybody else to break in and be successful at running a BSS stores. But I do think this latest development is a HUGE step in the right directions because as soon as we see the economic power we hold as consumers and the thirst of finding an entrepreneurial niche in an area that was severely lacking beginning bloom, it is making all the other players play catch up and pause.

So is it true? Are you seeing black own beauty supply stores gaining a place in the market again? If so what city have you seen it in?

UPDATE: 50 black owned BS stores....Pass it on!

http://officialblackwallstreet.com/black-owned-beauty-supply-stores/

Attachments

• natural-hair-growth.jpg
    natural-hair-growth.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

bellebebe

I live in Tampa, Fl, & I don't know a single black owned BSS. I know about 9 of them & all of them are owned by Asians. I would love a black owned BSS though. There's a BSS called "Ebony BSS" which is owned by Asians, I find the name sort of ironic. I know DARN WELL, aint no Asian person named "Ebony".

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Haven't seen a single Black owned BSS in Any Borough in NYC. Definitely none in the BX. I tend to shop online though, so the Asians aren't getting my money either way.

Anavrin

Wow...uh...? I dont give a **** who gets my money. A products a product. If they have the one I want, I'll buy from them, if they dont, I wont. Race should never be a factor on whether or not someone purchases something, because im sure 60 years ago white folks wouldve said and done the same thing to us.

Ogoma

Wow...uh...? I dont give a **** who gets my money. A products a product. If they have the one I want, I'll buy from them, if they dont, I wont. Race should never be a factor on whether or not someone purchases something, because im sure 60 years ago white folks wouldve said and done the same thing to us.

Are you serious with this comment? I am going to assume you are joking or are really, really young.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Ogoma said:
Are you serious with this comment? I am going to assume you are joking or are really, really young.

Maybe she just doesnt know the bigger backstory, like how asian owned wholesalers won't sell to black owners looking to secure product. Like how much disdain some of them really have for their own customers. Like how important it really is that some of the big bucks made in this industry, coming out of the pockets of blacks, stay in the community to build generational wealth.
Just throwing some stuff out there. Not everyone just knows, ya know?

cocomama

bellebebe LOL!!!!! Here in New Orleans there was one name "Beyonce". DH told me that they took the sign down, so maybe the real Beyonce wasn't having it...:lachen:

I remember before Katrina hit my friend was writing an article on how the Asians were boxing out the black own beauty supply stores in the city. They wouldn't sell the hair products directly to them. They made them buy the hair products from their competitors. Basically they couldn't compete...

After learning this my heart would ache at how we had allowed this to happen. I honestly didn't see how we could ever take back our own market. So the dollars could circulate in our own communities again. So when I read the above comments I couldn't believe my eyes...:dance7::dance7:

Ogoma

Maybe she just doesnt know the bigger backstory, like how asian owned wholesalers won't sell to black owners looking to secure product. Like how much disdain some of them really have for their own customers. Like how important it really is that some of the big bucks made in this industry, coming out of the pockets of blacks, stay in the community to build generational wealth.
Just throwing some stuff out there. Not everyone just knows, ya know?

Fair enough. For her sake, I hope it is just ignorance.

growbaby

I am also young N don't really understand the issue. I wouldn't say I don't care b/c I'm always down for the advancement of our black community but idk how me buying my products from an Asian owned BSS (which I do) makes a difference. Some1 wanna explain?

cocomama

Rocky91 Well said...

I hope more people give us a report like the comments at the end of the article. I would love to hear what cities this movement have taken place in.

MsSonya

There are a few BSS in my town. But they are not comparable to the Asian owned BSS. It is on a much smaller scale.... much smaller:perplexed , and for that reason they are not as popular as the Asian owned unfornately. I tried to show my support, but unfortuately they didn't have many of the products that I wanted.
On another note, I know we all need a job. Not knocking that. But in all of the Asian owned stores......who's in there.....selling the product.....US. An attractive black female that knows hair down to the last ounce, and fiber. Can tell you the difference between Maylasia, and Remy at the drop of a dime. It pisses me off that most of the Asian owned 'people' dont even try to speak English. They dont HAVE to, "our" people in the store will take care of that. And watching us in the store as if we are going to steal something. I proably went off the subject, but yes I would love to see more black owned BSS stores.
Again, (maybe where I am from, Louisiana) but there are still black people that feel as though they are getting inferior products if we buy from our own people. This is why it is hard for us to support each other in most things.

Last edited:

30something

My Korean friend who family owns a BSS told me they don't even make much money from the products, its all in the fake hair. Which we buy mounds of. That is the only way we black people can really compete and they got the market on that.

Best way to compete if we black people would start opening up more natural/organics hair shops and milk the crap out of this new "hair movement".. because women (of all races) aren't going to stop buying hair anytime soon.

coolsista-paris

i live in paris. there is an area which only has hair stores or hair salons all down the road . lots of them . at first sight everyone thinks its owned by black as all the workers are blacks even the "superviser " but the boss of the brand is white. i saw him enter the store walking like à king and gave orders . i asked the workers who hé was they confirmed the big boss of many stores in the street ....black beauty industry is big business ...but we dont even really benefit from it!

in clothing too ...i see african prints on fashion dresses ,jackets ,bags etc...made from black designers : they didnt go far... NOW That the fashion industry is all of à sudden intersted they copy the ideas and guess what.:its so much in fashion NOW by brands from france england...etc.. by whites ! people are liking it . those blacks did thé same...they are not getting that big benefit from it.

will the futur change thinks? its so fustrating it. we fight but our ideas only work if à white person brings it out.

Last edited:

MsSonya

I agree also. But walmart is also offering several natural hair care lines now. So are some of the beauty supply store. How can black owners compete. I am sure the products will be marked up slightly higher.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I am also young N don't really understand the issue. I wouldn't say I don't care b/c I'm always down for the advancement of our black community but idk how me buying my products from an Asian owned BSS (which I do) makes a difference. Some1 wanna explain?

*Disclaimer* I do not intend for what I say to sound Racist, but it might...

Money = Power. That's just a fact in America. When you look at the groups that hold the Real Wealth in this Nation, you see who really controls the country. This group is called the Rentier Class (aka the 1%), and their wealth is Generational. In order for Blacks to enter this class (which will Never happen, but just for arguments sake), we need to not only control the means of production, and create the products made in the factories, we must also control sales & distribution. (think Nike. Nike Co. owns the plant in Pakistan where the sneakers are made, and they also have Nike retail locations, as well as lucrative partnerships with sporting goods stores where Nike sneakers are resold). In this way, whenever a product is sold, the majority of the profit goes to the Landlord (the person who owns the land), 2nd stake would go to the company that owns the plant and the products (Rentier class owns the land, the plant, and the products), and 3rd stake goes to the laborers.

At this time the Asians own the Land, and many of the Plants, and have direct distribution deals with India for hair (and the profit margin for this is High, because the hair is gained for free). They also have deals with product wholesalers, that allow the, to sell high for a nice profit. So when you shop at a BSS, you're essentially making Asians rich. Asian's, that I might add that don't have the highest regard for the community they sell to...

It would help our communities the same way (Korea is estimated to overtake Japan's economy soon by the way) if we not only created Our products, for Our people....but also how & where they are manufactured, as well as how they are marketed, distributed and sold. This is not only good for Our communities, but also for America. Or, if we create partnerships with Africa, the African economy (this is pie in the sky thinking).

lovebug10

i live in paris. there is an area which only has hair stores or hair salons all down the road . lots of them . at first sight everyone thinks its owned by black as all the workers are blacks even the "superviser " but the boss of the brand is white. i saw him enter the store walking like à king and gave orders . i asked the workers who hé was they confirmed the big boss of many stores in the street ....black beauty industry is big business ...but we dont even really benefit from it!

in clothing too ...i see african prints on fashion dresses ,jackets ,bags etc...made from black designers : they didnt go far... NOW That the fashion industry is all of à sudden intersted they copy the ideas and guess what.:its so much in fashion NOW by brands from france england...etc.. by whites ! people are liking it . those blacks did thé same...they are not getting that big benefit from it.

will the futur change thinks? its so fustrating it. we fight but our ideas only work if à white person brings it out.

coolsista-paris you talking about chateau d'eau area? Thats the only place I know of to get black hair care products in paris.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
A few weeks ago my white friend texted me asking me if I knew any black owned beauty supply stores. She was asking for another one of her black girlfriends. :lol: Unfortunately I couldn't come up with ONE.

beana

I don't see any black owned BSS in my area (Harlem). There was one, but it has since changed to a Korean operation.

I'm so serious about NOT spending a penny with these people... I don't willingly give my money to people who don't respect me. Between Darcy's Botanicals, Hydroquench systems, and ordering direct from distrubutors... I have no need for "their" stores. It's not like they're selling quality products, they sell stuff you can get at CVS/ walmart and their "salon" products are bootleg most of the time.

I guess some people cant do without that overpriced animal hair weave and Dax at the Korean BSS. Once I get my own license (i place orders through a colleague at the moment) I will continue to order direct from the manufacturer. It really annoys me that black cosmetologists don't come together and do this and resell out of their own salons.

beana

Adding...

Some black people just don't "get it"... I've busted many a vein trying to get black people to understand the true meaning of economic empowerment and community building but people are blind because they dont WANT to see.

larry3344

beana sooo true! Yet they are they same people complaining about black people not getting hired for jobs. I don't understand why some are still stuck on stupid on this issue, Malcolm X spoke on this eons ago we will always be struggling as a people if we keep on waiting on others to do for us what we need to do for ourselves. Coming together cause we are in the same 'struggle' is not enough. And even for that we have a hard time truly rallying together. White people and upcoming asian superpowers are where they are because of their economic prowess pure and freaking simple. We suffer cause we own sh!t and produce very little in comparison. Out of over 1 billions of african descent people let us ask ourselves how many distributors, manufacturers, multinational companies, corporations, partnerships, elite networks do we own? How many successful towns and cities relative to chinatowns/koreatowns(not ghettos) exist with people of african descent majorly. How healthy are men and women relationships in black communities, how many children are raised by two parent households, how many can attest to generational wealth and how many of us get parent financial/emotional support. Please do not give one or two examples but look across the african diaspora and tell me how we stand. This is serious and so important for our survival, in my opinion we lag behind many communities on a lot of these subjects. And it doesn't matter whether we are black american,african, afro-latina/o, afro-euro or wherever black people reside in numbers.

African solidarity is much more than proclaiming black power, wearing natural hair, talking/singing about african unity and wearing a daishiki. It requires a thought out plan that raises our presence in the international community as not people to be pitied and given 'assistance' but as a self-sufficient communities who work among ourselves without constant interference from others. China , Japan and Korea hate each other but economically they work together to rival other western nations and as we can see are thriving. Economics is not pseudo patriotism and working with people you like. It is working with those that share a common objective and have more to gain by working together rather than apart despite differences.

Last edited:

larry3344

cont..
It pisses me off when people refuse to see the reality that is staring at us in the face instead of confronting it head on.

Tiye

*Disclaimer* I do not intend for what I say to sound Racist, but it might...

Money = Power. That's just a fact in America. When you look at the groups that hold the Real Wealth in this Nation, you see who really controls the country. This group is called the Rentier Class (aka the 1%), and their wealth is Generational. In order for Blacks to enter this class (which will Never happen, but just for arguments sake), we need to not only control the means of production, and create the products made in the factories, we must also control sales & distribution. (think Nike. Nike Co. owns the plant in Pakistan where the sneakers are made, and they also have Nike retail locations, as well as lucrative partnerships with sporting goods stores where Nike sneakers are resold). In this way, whenever a product is sold, the majority of the profit goes to the Landlord (the person who owns the land), 2nd stake would go to the company that owns the plant and the products (Rentier class owns the land, the plant, and the products), and 3rd stake goes to the laborers.

At this time the Asians own the Land, and many of the Plants, and have direct distribution deals with India for hair (and the profit margin for this is High, because the hair is gained for free). They also have deals with product wholesalers, that allow the, to sell high for a nice profit. So when you shop at a BSS, you're essentially making Asians rich. Asian's, that I might add that don't have the highest regard for the community they sell to...

It would help our communities the same way (Korea is estimated to overtake Japan's economy soon by the way) if we not only created Our products, for Our people....but also how & where they are manufactured, as well as how they are marketed, distributed and sold. This is not only good for Our communities, but also for America. Or, if we create partnerships with Africa, the African economy (this is pie in the sky thinking).

Harvested hair has to be disinfected and sorted strand for strand, etc. You wouldn't want hair fresh cut off anyone else's head no matter what a vendor tells you about "virgin" hair. But here's a revolutionary thought - we could just not buy other people's hair. Human hair extensions can be a fun accessory at best but there's no reason for them to be considered a must have.

Solila

beana said:
I don't see any black owned BSS in my area (Harlem). There was one, but it has since changed to a Korean operation.

I'm so serious about NOT spending a penny with these people... I don't willingly give my money to people who don't respect me. Between Darcy's Botanicals, Hydroquench systems, and ordering direct from distrubutors... I have no need for "their" stores. It's not like they're selling quality products, they sell stuff you can get at CVS/ walmart and their "salon" products are bootleg most of the time.

I guess some people cant do without that overpriced animal hair weave and Dax at the Korean BSS. Once I get my own license (i place orders through a colleague at the moment) I will continue to order direct from the manufacturer. It really annoys me that black cosmetologists don't come together and do this and resell out of their own salons.

If you started a business I'd buy from you.
I'd hope you'd have great prices too.

larry3344

Or why not come up with interest brand of synthetic hair that closely resembles real hair, hence reducing the cost and redirecting the money back in our communities. This is not an impossible situation but rather something that demands a little bit more loyalty and resistance from us. Let us not forget asians like the chinese were nowhere near where they are today 40 years ago. Now look where they are now? And now some of y'all are telling that is impossible to reclaim a beauty market that we are primarily the consumers, I refuse to believe that we are THAT nearsighted.

Solila

Wow this thread is really interesting
Its funny that I had been thinking about this for some time. I've always thought it a great idea for us to get into this field. I know I need black owned businesses.