Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Platinum

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Can I get a quick tally on how people started their locs and whether you were happy with decision or if you wished you had started them another way? I know my hair is going to loc easily regardless but still trying to figure out which method to use.

I started mine with two strand twists. No regrets, except I wish I had opted for smaller Locs. I got a retwist yesterday and the loctician says that she says that my Locs are a good size.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

mochalocks

Can I get a quick tally on how people started their locs and whether you were happy with decision or if you wished you had started them another way? I know my hair is going to loc easily regardless but still trying to figure out which method to use.

First set 10 years ago I started with two strand twist

This set I stated two months ago were started with Braids.

MzSwift

Happy Independence Day to my fellow US ladies! I love the 4th because of all of the veterans deals/discounts. :D

OK, I've finally finished taking out my extensions. Here are pix of my micros. Excuse the mess on the edges, the extensions were in about 5 weeks and I haven't done anything to my hair yet.

**Pix removed**

I'm going back and forth on whether or not to keep growing these micros out. They require more work than I'm willing to do. My hair laziness is in full force! LOL! Because of the size of them, I have to interloc my roots more often. I'll be really busy in the near future and won't have the time to do them that often.

Last edited:

happycakes

Damien Walters did your locks?

Did he film it?

That would have been classic!

Congrats!​

I really lucked out! My original appointment was for April 14th with another loctitician and I didn't like how the consult went, she kept pushing two strand twists for starter locs and I was not feeling it ....later that night I did some more research and looking at pics. Damian showed up on my IG feed and I loved his work...It just so happens he is based in Houston and comes to Dallas once a month. It was meant to be. :lachen:

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
my bad here's a direct link to his vids:

I spent Friday at work :look: and some of Saturday watching his videos. I LOVE him. He is SO passionate about his client's and their hair, and if he were in my area (PA/NJ/DE), I might already have a starter loc appt. He did a fantastic job on yours by the way.

Anyway, I found a local "loc spot" for a consultation and may be going there tomorrow. My only concern with locing is that right now I work out 4Xx a wk and my trainer has asked me to not only come on off days to do cardio on my own (walking on the treadmill will suffice) but to also take in a yoga class or two to increase my flexibility (sweat city!). So between this and the season (summer humidity), I'm nervous about a consult. But my head is wrapped in two loc socs right now because I have no desire to continue with wash n' gos. Saturday I cleansed, conditioned, twisted. I won't be going the barber route again because I like having hair. While i'm no longer undecided, I think my timing might be bad.

I'll try to stop worrying and just stop in for the consult!

Platinum

I spent Friday at work :look: and some of Saturday watching his videos. I LOVE him. He is SO passionate about his client's and their hair, and if he were in my area (PA/NJ/DE), I might already have a starter loc appt. He did a fantastic job on yours by the way.

Anyway, I found a local "loc spot" for a consultation and may be going there tomorrow. My only concern with locing is that right now I work out 4Xx a wk and my trainer has asked me to not only come on off days to do cardio on my own (walking on the treadmill will suffice) but to also take in a yoga class or two to increase my flexibility (sweat city!). So between this and the season (summer humidity), I'm nervous about a consult. But my head is wrapped in two loc socs right now because I have no desire to continue with wash n' gos. Saturday I cleansed, conditioned, twisted. I won't be going the barber route again because I like having hair. While i'm no longer undecided, I think my timing might be bad.

I'll try to stop worrying and just stop in for the consult!

Your loctician may suggest two strand twists since you're working out often. That's what the loctician did for me. :) Let us know how everything turns out!

msdeevee

Okay, so I'm three months into my Sisterlocks and can't believe that I like them. They are still the size of broomstick straw but en masse they appear to be just a curly wash and go. It works well for low maintenance.

Starting with locks with coils on me would last a total of three days.

Hey @Transformer...my appt is set for 7/25 to install my sisterlocks. It's been a long time coming for me and I'm excited.

I'm thinking the 1st year won't be too cute for me bcuz my hair is really short now. I'm growing out a tapered cut so my hair averages from 4-6" .

When I went in for my consult there was another client there with about my length & thickness but it wasn't scalpy looking & my consultant assured me mine won't be scalpy either. I'm already collecting more headbands & wraps . My hair has always grown fast so I'm hoping in a year I'll be able to retain the 6" 0f growth our hair averages in a year. Though I'm not looking to have butt length hair . Armpit to bra strap will be my final goal length.

I always loved & did different styles so I love the versatility of SL's. I feel most confident with my hair when it's braided or kinky twisted so I really think SL's will be good for me.

I love my natural hair but after being natural about 13 years now I'm so over the product search . The de tangling , the styling , the coils all over the floor. My hair is 4bc so no matter how much advice I got here or elsewhere I was never able to achieve more than armpit length. My ends would break off no matter how much trimming , oilmixes & moisture & protective styling. I was looking at SL's years ago but always held off now I'm just over it . Relaxing my hair is not an option. I found a great consultant in NY. She's at Vanity hair studio on IG. I'm looking forward to it. I hope I feel like you after I get them cuz you know in NY they cost a grip.

Sorry so long winded

Transformer

Hey @Transformer...my appt is set for 7/25 to install my sisterlocks. It's been a long time coming for me and I'm excited.

I'm thinking the 1st year won't be too cute for me bcuz my hair is really short now. I'm growing out a tapered cut so my hair averages from 4-6" .

When I went in for my consult there was another client there with about my length & thickness but it wasn't scalpy looking & my consultant assured me mine won't be scalpy either. I'm already collecting more headbands & wraps . My hair has always grown fast so I'm hoping in a year I'll be able to retain the 6" 0f growth our hair averages in a year. Though I'm not looking to have butt length hair . Armpit to bra strap will be my final goal length.

I always loved & did different styles so I love the versatility of SL's. I feel most confident with my hair when it's braided or kinky twisted so I really think SL's will be good for me.

I love my natural hair but after being natural about 13 years now I'm so over the product search . The de tangling , the styling , the coils all over the floor. My hair is 4bc so no matter how much advice I got here or elsewhere I was never able to achieve more than armpit length. My ends would break off no matter how much trimming , oilmixes & moisture & protective styling. I was looking at SL's years ago but always held off now I'm just over it . Relaxing my hair is not an option. I found a great consultant in NY. She's at Vanity hair studio on IG. I'm looking forward to it. I hope I feel like you after I get them cuz you know in NY they cost a grip.

Sorry so long winded

Glad you decided on a styling that will work for your lifestyle. Like you, I wanted a simpler "hair life." I had 30 shampoos and conditioners, 40 moisturizers and curl creams. Since installing the SLs the only thing I've purchased is Avocado Oil.

No more visiting African Braid shops for vacation braids and I've retired my Pibbs hairdryer for now. I'm loving it. By the way, I didn't/don't have the scalpy look and my hair is really fine. I don't have the really defined parts/grid pattern that many have. While they were installed on a grid my parts are very skinny to non-existent--but that's what I requested. It really does look like my normal wash-n-go. I had a co-worker who sees me daily at work make a statement on Monday, "so you had your twisted this weekend." Nope-almost 4 months now.

As for cost--mine was $1100 which included the first retightening. Another co-worker installed her by using two strand twist and then interlocking afterwards. But the first two/three months she was constantly retwisting each braid and careful on washing. I washed by hair one hour after the installation was complete.

msdeevee

Thanks for responding @Transformer .

I'm getting really excited now. I too have bins of expensive products to give away.

I have a great braider that I've been going to for over 20 years but I'm tired of that too . The sitting for 8 hours. The cost of hair . I always like human hair. Then feeling great for 6-8 wks then the tedious process of taking it out.

The cost does take you back but fortunately for now I can afford it. My install will cost 950. Which includes the first reti. my consultant just got certified to teach the reti class so I'm planning to go to her maybe 2-3 times for reti & then either take her class which costs another 350. Or I will learn from YT to do it myself. I was never a salon person even when relaxed so as nice as she is I don't want to be obligated every month to see her.

I'm so excited I went searching today for a tool to do my own reti so I can be ready & I really liked the easy loc tool and it was clearly explained how to use it. The owner herself has SL's. So I purchased the 3 pack today.
I can't wait.

BillsBackerz67

I'm at a loss as to what to expect with how my hair is going to eventually turn out. My hair swells so much it doesn't even look like the same hair when I did my retwist o_O no water has touched it either.
Skinny and scalpy vs I can't see my scalp:lachen:. Next retwist is Saturday.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 87

Transformer

Thanks for responding @Transformer .

I'm getting really excited now. I too have bins of expensive products to give away.

I have a great braider that I've been going to for over 20 years but I'm tired of that too . The sitting for 8 hours. The cost of hair . I always like human hair. Then feeling great for 6-8 wks then the tedious process of taking it out.

The cost does take you back but fortunately for now I can afford it. My install will cost 950. Which includes the first reti. my consultant just got certified to teach the reti class so I'm planning to go to her maybe 2-3 times for reti & then either take her class which costs another 350. Or I will learn from YT to do it myself. I was never a salon person even when relaxed so as nice as she is I don't want to be obligated every month to see her.

I'm so excited I went searching today for a tool to do my own reti so I can be ready & I really liked the easy loc tool and it was clearly explained how to use it. The owner herself has SL's. So I purchased the 3 pack today.
I can't wait.

Yep I bought some reti tools and researched all the Videos on DIY retightenings. But I haven't been a mood to tackle hundreds of braids. I really think it's best to let it grow out for at least 6 months before trying. I'm definitely not a hairdresser person either.

happycakes

Don't worry, over time your locks will look beautiful. Hold on tight.

We as women see flaws that often others don't see.

Let them locks be gal.

I'm at a loss as to what to expect with how my hair is going to eventually turn out. My hair swells so much it doesn't even look like the same hair when I did my retwist o_O no water has touched it either.

BillsBackerz67

Don't worry, over time your locks will look beautiful. Hold on tight.

We as women see flaws that often others don't see.

Let them locks be gal.
Thanks! I have no issue with how my hair looks. Just confused as to how it's going to look as it matures over time. My hair has several different minds of its own. I'm fine with that. Just documenting my feelings as every one else is lol.

happycakes

No worries, I get it.

Please keep us posted with your progress pictures.

You never know who'll be the next person to get locks around here.

Thanks! I have no issue with how my hair looks. Just confused as to how it's going to look as it matures over time. My hair has several different minds of its own. I'm fine with that. Just documenting my feelings as every one else is lol.

Last edited:

msdeevee

I understand how you feel. I chose Sisterlocks bcuz I want my locks to look a certain way. It's important to me that they be neat & discreet bcuz of my lifestyle.

How they will eventually turn out is a mystery. I discussed all of this with my consultant and she assured me that I'll get what I want but who knows.

Your hair for now looks beautiful though. I love the shine & it looks so healthy. I'm sure it'll remain that way. I've read that the best thing with locks is patience.

BillsBackerz67

I understand how you feel. I chose Sisterlocks bcuz I want my locks to look a certain way. It's important to me that they be neat & discreet bcuz of my lifestyle.

How they will eventually turn out is a mystery. I discussed all of this with my consultant and she assured me that I'll get what I want but who knows.

Your hair for now looks beautiful though. I love the shine & it looks so healthy. I'm sure it'll remain that way. I've read that the best thing with locks is patience.

Mystery:beer:thats the only thing driving me nuts about this lol. Thank you so much!