Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

BillsBackerz67

@BillsBackerz67 I was so mad for you!!!! Does Damian know about it? What's he going to do with her/how is he going to compensate you? That's 2+months of your time looking! Your new set looks gorgeous, though, so fingers crossed you'll have a beautiful set of locs.

My sisterlocks installation starts on Friday. I'm excited and so surprised by the fact that I'm going back to locs after only 4 years with loose hair. I never said I would never go back because I knew my bipolar self would change my mind. :lachen:
Any last minute advice? I wanted to color my hair but didn't get a chance to do it. Is it too late to do it tomorrow, 1 day before beginning of installation?
His former assistant (Dotie) told him.
I paid for the services as it really wasn't his fault. Dotie only charged me for half of what she normally charges for my troubles so that made up for it. I showed her a pic of what they looked like just a day prior to my appt with Damian and she said yep the wash assistant had no clue what he was doing my whole head should not have fell apart. My hair texture is loose when wet but not that loose. Thank you so much!:rose:

BillsBackerz67

i started my locs with twists and the pattern disappeared almost immediately. i have very frizzy, kinky hair though. it was bsl when i loc'd but shrank up past my shoulders.

i wish i had better pics but im not a big picture taker. the first pic was about a week after i started. it is literally the only picture i have of my hair at that length.:lol:
View attachment 368667View attachment 368661 View attachment 368663 View attachment 368665
Your locs are gorgeous I think it depends on your hair type and how tight your curl pattern is.
I was told to start my locs with twists but my wet twisted hair vs my dry twisted hair is night and day. The swelling and expansion is epic:lachen:so I know for a fact that I would have had pregnant lumpy locs with twists. It doesn't bother me because I'm not going for the "neat" look anyway but I just prefer the comb coils vs twists. Here is a pic where I can def tell this woman started with twists. Her locs are beautiful either way.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 127

Transformer

i started my locs with twists and the pattern disappeared almost immediately. i have very frizzy, kinky hair though. it was bsl when i loc'd but shrank up past my shoulders.

i wish i had better pics but im not a big picture taker. the first pic was about a week after i started. it is literally the only picture i have of my hair at that length.:lol:
View attachment 368667View attachment 368661 View attachment 368663 View attachment 368665

This has been the experience of coworkers. Started with two strands and then can't tell the difference in about 6 months.

@msdeevee

Tell us how did it go.

msdeevee

@Transformer ...It went very well. 1 of my biggest concerns was the time it would take to install bcuz in all my research I read about people having 2 & 3 day installs. I knew if I had to endure that I would be out of my head but I wanted it so bad.

It took my consultant 12 hours to do my install. She is Natasha at Vanity hair studio in Brooklyn.she is listed on the SL site. She was very professional, very knowledgeable and very pleasant. We talked and we looked at interesting videos to pass the time. I was in a private room and she did not take breaks to eat & fuss on the phone. We went straight through . I can't wait for my locks to mature & grow.

I go back on 8/12 for a check up & wash and I plan on taking the retight class after 6 months so I can self maintain. However, I will continue to go to her for grooming and pro upkeep.

How are your locks doing?

Transformer

@Transformer ...It went very well. 1 of my biggest concerns was the time it would take to install bcuz in all my research I read about people having 2 & 3 day installs. I knew if I had to endure that I would be out of my head but I wanted it so bad.

It took my consultant 12 hours to do my install. She is Natasha at Vanity hair studio in Brooklyn.she is listed on the SL site. She was very professional, very knowledgeable and very pleasant. We talked and we looked at interesting videos to pass the time. I was in a private room and she did not take breaks to eat & fuss on the phone. We went straight through . I can't wait for my locks to mature & grow.

I go back on 8/12 for a check up & wash and I plan on taking the retight class after 6 months so I can self maintain. However, I will continue to go to her for grooming and pro upkeep.

I have some slippage according to old consultant....had a retightenings on Friday. I like the way it looks...curly....but that may be due to the slippage. Looking for a new consultant and a private retightenings class.

Transformer

Are you scalpy?

msdeevee

Are you scalpy?
@Transformer.. Yes to a degree, but not as much as I thought. I can deal with it. Not only a bit scalpy but I'm a brown skinned woman with a light scalp & it just looks so "white" and in the light it looks like a have sparse spots but I don't. . I don't want my pics on social media but my consultant took pics of my grid & if I knew how to post one I would.

I have hope, in preparation I was more concerned about the length of my hair so I bought a load of different headbands & wraps to contain my hair until it fills out. I'm only a week out but I can see it filling out a bit. I'm have growing hair so I hope by the end of year it will fill out . I do like the grid though and I told my consultant that I would always like to keep my grid intact.

Only problem I'm having now is I can't keep my hands out of my hair. How about you?

Transformer

@Transformer.. Yes to a degree, but not as much as I thought. I can deal with it. Not only a bit scalpy but I'm a brown skinned woman with a light scalp & it just looks so "white" and in the light it looks like a have sparse spots but I don't. . I don't want my pics on social media but my consultant took pics of my grid & if I knew how to post one I would.

I have hope, in preparation I was more concerned about the length of my hair so I bought a load of different headbands & wraps to contain my hair until it fills out. I'm only a week out but I can see it filling out a bit. I'm have growing hair so I hope by the end of year it will fill out . I do like the grid though and I told my consultant that I would always like to keep my grid intact.

Only problem I'm having now is I can't keep my hands out of my hair. How about you?

At my request, my consultant didn't follow the perfect grid pattern because my hair is very fine and I have some thinner edge spots. Therefore she did micro sizes very clustered around the edges. I like this because it camouflages any thin areas and make them look full. One side of my head is also more dense than another therefore one side is fuller than the other. I only had the sorta scalpy look in the back, but one my natural curl pattern was release back problem solved.

I have VERY small locks--too small, but I guess that's all my hair would support. I bet they are 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch in size.

I try to ignore my hair as much as possible so not to stress over this journey. Now I'm stressing because I have to find another consultant that will at least say Good Morning to me.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Your locs are gorgeous I think it depends on your hair type and how tight your curl pattern is.
I was told to start my locs with twists but my wet twisted hair vs my dry twisted hair is night and day. The swelling and expansion is epic:lachen:so I know for a fact that I would have had pregnant lumpy locs with twists. It doesn't bother me because I'm not going for the "neat" look anyway but I just prefer the comb coils vs twists. Here is a pic where I can def tell this woman started with twists. Her locs are beautiful either way.
I agree that it depends on your hair type. One of the women who I consulted with was worse than the pic you posted. She was beyond her first maintenance and all of her twists were very, very defined. She had lots of spacing.

nothidden

Not sure if you guys saw this in the random thread, but I came across a woman on IG with locs to her ankles (@blacrapunzel):
upload_2016-8-2_11-37-48.jpeg

Last night I came across another woman on IG w/even longer locs and just happens to sell her own hair products(@DreadlocksRapunzel):
upload_2016-8-2_11-43-22.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-2_11-42-1.jpeg
    upload_2016-8-2_11-42-1.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 102

BillsBackerz67

I guess they tighten the hair in the grids that they don't expand outsize the grid. This is not for me. I like a more dense, no separation look.
Right me too. The scalpy look is not what's up. My hair is very thick at the roots but even I requested that they not be done like a boxed grid. But Damian says he does the C parts for the majority of everyone. I see a lot of people who are going for thick locs when they have no business doing so. Large parts with a tiny bit of hair in each. Hair too fine for that. Everybody ain't able.

msdeevee

These are TOO MUCH.

Just too much...my consultant told me that in 5 years I will be waist length. I told her I'm not interested in having hair that long. I had a hard enough time taking care of my apl loose, natural hair. I cannot imagine managing locks that long and keeping it neat & clean . Using a bottle of shampoo every time I wash .

Just my own opinion , it just doesn't look clean to me. Plus all that weight can't be good on the edges.

About the grid. I want a full look too. The grid can be maintained without it looking scalpy. My hair is 4bc , so it gets thick at the roots. If the consultant does the retights correctly without combining strands I think the grids can be maintained. Youtuber Brittania718 has a nicely maintained grid but you can only see it if she lifts up her thick looking Sisterlocks and she is over 7 years out.

That's the look I'm after. I'm a newbie though so I have a lot to learn.

nothidden

Just too much...my consultant told me that in 5 years I will be waist length. I told her I'm not interested in having hair that long. I had a hard enough time taking care of my apl loose, natural hair. I cannot imagine managing locks that long and keeping it neat & clean . Using a bottle of shampoo every time I wash .

Just my own opinion , it just doesn't look clean to me. Plus all that weight can't be good on the edges.

About the grid. I want a full look too. The grid can be maintained without it looking scalpy. My hair is 4bc , so it gets thick at the roots. If the consultant does the retights correctly without combining strands I think the grids can be maintained. Youtuber Brittania718 has a nicely maintained grid but you can only see it if she lifts up her thick looking Sisterlocks and she is over 7 years out.

That's the look I'm after. I'm a newbie though so I have a lot to learn.
Her locs are nice...[EDIT]...gorgeous!!

nothidden

I think your locks w/o seeing them may turn out like decoded Deviny on YT. She makes me regret that I cut my hair for my SL's but I know my hair will never look like hers in any way. She seems to have fine hair .
I follow her. Her locs are nice.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
@Ivonnovi

Help. Any suggestions on how to stop the unraveling. Should I just try to two strand twist or plait?

A few questions to figure out the cause
What products are you using?
How often are you washing and are you doing the whole braid and bundle thing?
How are you styling it? (are you manipulating daily, using a lot of pins/clips, etc)
What do you do with it at night?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I haven't posted in a while because I have been super busy with life and work! BUT, I am still on my loc journey and still enjoying it soooo much... As you all know I started my locs with two strand twists on December 2, 2014. I am now 20 months in, and I can definitely say that the journey has its ups and downs. For a while, I worried about so many things: unraveling, bunching, scraggly ends...even split ends. There were times where I hated my hair and how much it frizzed and attracted lint, dust and everything in between.

Anyway, I have some updates...locs are beginning to stop bunching, although I have some lumps making their way toward the end of my locs. Although I am tempted to pick with them, I have learned to just let my hair do what it needs to do until the mission is complete. I posted a couple of pics to show where I am now. These were taken last week, after I took down an updo, so my locs are a little wavy.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG