Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

BillsBackerz67

Made it to month 6:toocool: Trying to extend retwisrs to every 4-5weeks instead of 3 but my hair ain't ready and probably won't be able to for awhile. My hair doesn't grow with the loc yet. Now it's some hair seperating from the loc (and frizz) that makes my hair look a mess by week 2:rolleyes: when it starts to do that I pull it back with a scarf so it looks presentable at work and on outings. Still can't wash my own hair yet either. It's hard to see my scalp let alone decipher the parts once it start to dry and poof up. so I'll leave it up to the stylist.

IMG_4792.JPG IMG_4799.JPG

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
yall

im visiting my family for the weekend and apparently all my little cousins have head lice (among other things). i dont want to get into how trifling and pathetic their mothers are but i was at their house sitting all on the couch, hamming it up and now im worried.

i had my mom check my head and she didn't see anything but every time i come home i leave with something.

if i have to cut my locs i will be devastated.:(

Platinum

yall

im visiting my family for the weekend and apparently all my little cousins have head lice (among other things). i dont want to get into how trifling and pathetic their mothers are but i was at their house sitting all on the couch, hamming it up and now im worried.

i had my mom check my head and she didn't see anything but every time i come home i leave with something.

if i have to cut my locs i will be devastated.:(

@Oasis :bighug:

You should try a loc detox (ACV Rinse). If you have anything in your hair that shouldn't be there, I'm sure that detox will take care of it.:yep: I hope this helps!

msdeevee

Now look at this picture; ............................take a good quick look.......................

AM I the only one that thought her head was in a toiletbowl? :flush:

No, I thought that too. I've never seen that shape sink before.

I'm sure it's a sink :rolleyes:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Finished my latest reti. My ponytail actually looks like a ponytail now. I'm 2 years and 3 months loced

Last edited:

Platinum

I'm 2 1/2 years loc'd as of November 27! :grin: I'm going to do a loc detox and a retwist when I go home next week. I've been around a lot of dust and exhaust fumes from trucks. I haven't been wrapping my locs but I will because I don't like the idea of getting dust and exhaust trapped in my hair. Shampooing helps but it feels better after I detox.

Ajna

Has anybody dealt with postpartum shedding? Is there any way to prevent it?

First CONGRATS!!!

Having said that in full disclosure, this is not an issue I personally had to deal with. However it seems like almost every woman in my office who has had a baby in the past two years have had to deal with it. If you are breastfeeding my suggestion is to just drink more water, maybe add a little JBCO to your scalp and hairline and wait it out. If you are not breastfeeding then you can try supplements like garlic or hair growth supplements and of course drink more water.

From what I can see these women all got beautiful long hair during pregnancy and now it is simply shedding. It also does not seem to last long though.

Maybe someone else can give you first hand experience.

BillsBackerz67

Did anyone get their locks sheared? I'm 17 months locked and I still have a lot of loose hair that was never incorporated into the locks. Did it make them neater and less tangled or would you advise against it?
I see the majority of advice on social media against it than for it for those less than 3 years in. Supposedly those loose hairs will be pulled into the core of the loc it just takes time.

There's a girl ladiswagg who is popular in the log community. Her mother used to shear her locs and once she was old enough to care for them herself, she never sheared them cuz it was too much work. She's been locd for 16 years but from viewing her loc journey pics, it appears to me that her locs became a lot thicker and fuller once she stopped getting them pruned. I also don't like when locs are too neat looking or thin..but everyone's preferences are different!

BillsBackerz67

Anyone semi free forming or only retwisting every few months? I'm going to start doing this little by little. My last retwist was December 2nd. I'm going to see if I can stretch it until the first or second week of January which will make it 4-6 weeks if I'm successful . This is a big deal for me because the most I've gone was 3 weeks.

dicapr

Anyone semi free forming or only retwisting every few months? I'm going to start doing this little by little. My last retwist was December 2nd. I'm going to see if I can stretch it until the first or second week of January which will make it 4-6 weeks if I'm successful . This is a big deal for me because the most I've gone was 3 weeks.

I'm trying to go 3 months between interlocking. I'm at 2 months now.

Platinum

I haven't had a retwist since last September. I wasn't able to get it done the last couple of times that I was at home. I'm going to probably get it done after Christmas. I used to do it myself.

BillsBackerz67

I haven't had a retwist since last September. I wasn't able to get it done the last couple of times that I was at home. I'm going to probably get it done after Christmas. I used to do it myself.
Jealous! I wish I could go that long but a lot of my hair is still growing away from the loc:rolleyes:. But I found that retwisting the perimeter totally revamps my hair so I'm hoping I can make it to January.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
First CONGRATS!!!

Having said that in full disclosure, this is not an issue I personally had to deal with. However it seems like almost every woman in my office who has had a baby in the past two years have had to deal with it. If you are breastfeeding my suggestion is to just drink more water, maybe add a little JBCO to your scalp and hairline and wait it out. If you are not breastfeeding then you can try supplements like garlic or hair growth supplements and of course drink more water.

From what I can see these women all got beautiful long hair during pregnancy and now it is simply shedding. It also does not seem to last long though.

Maybe someone else can give you first hand experience.

Thanks! I'll pick up some JBCO. I have to read up on garlic

Platinum

Jealous! I wish I could go that long but a lot of my hair is still growing away from the loc:rolleyes:. But I found that retwisting the perimeter totally revamps my hair so I'm hoping I can make it to January.

Truth be told, I look a mess right now. I had plan to see my loctitian last month but I kept putting it off. I hope to see her this weekend. I'll try to remember to take pics before and after.

Platinum

IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0958.JPG I did a loc detox yesterday and planned to retwist since I couldn't reach my loctitian. She returned my call after I already started detox. I'm at the shop, under the dryer. I'll post pics of my locs later. Here are the before and after pics of the sink. That's at least 4-5 months of dirt, sweat, oil, diesel exhaust fumes, etc.