Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My 2 year anniversary is tomorrow :grin:

BillsBackerz67

I haven't posted in a while because I have been super busy with life and work! BUT, I am still on my loc journey and still enjoying it soooo much... As you all know I started my locs with two strand twists on December 2, 2014. I am now 20 months in, and I can definitely say that the journey has its ups and downs. For a while, I worried about so many things: unraveling, bunching, scraggly ends...even split ends. There were times where I hated my hair and how much it frizzed and attracted lint, dust and everything in between.

Anyway, I have some updates...locs are beginning to stop bunching, although I have some lumps making their way toward the end of my locs. Although I am tempted to pick with them, I have learned to just let my hair do what it needs to do until the mission is complete. I posted a couple of pics to show where I am now. These were taken last week, after I took down an updo, so my locs are a little wavy.

View attachment 370139 View attachment 370141
They're so thick and pretty!

mscocoface

I watched these two videos about loc product buildup over the weekend. Guess not everyone knows to clarify, or maybe they use a ton of product.

I started my locs in January and I have been an avid viewer of Locs by Yannie. She has made a huge difference in how I deal with my "slightly" disrespectful locs. LOL I was so worried and anal about my locs before I saw her vids. Now I fell like I can manage my locs versus my life being taken over and obsessing over them. With her and the info in this thread I am set and just watching them grow.

mscocoface

I watched these two videos about loc product buildup over the weekend. Guess not everyone knows to clarify, or maybe they use a ton of product.

I started my locs in January and I have been an avid viewer of Locs by Yannie. She has made a huge difference in how I deal with my "slightly" disrespectful locs. LOL I was so worried and anal about my locs before I saw her vids. Now I fell like I can manage my locs versus my life being taken over and obsessing over them. With her and the info in this thread I am set and just watching them grow.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Did you start and maintain your locs yourself?

mochalocks

This Saturday my locs will be 4 months old. I can't believe it.

I washed them myself today since they were Itching like crazy. Can't wait to get them retwisted in September.

msdeevee

Pretty!! That's how mine looked at first . I just realized that today is my 1 month locaversary. I'm so happy with them . They've grown out some already.
Who did your locks?

I saw a YT video yesterday where a lady said that she missed putting product in her hair. I'm so happy besides loc jewelry & head wraps I have not bought anymore hair products. Oil is not recommended before your locks mature and no conditioners. So no product build up. I spritz my hair with Sea breeze Mixed with water if it itches. I shampoo with the Sisterlocks shampoo & I spritz with diluted rose water in the morning if I need moisture. I'm so happy about that.

Unfortunately, I have a ton of expensive products to give away.

Akilah

Pretty!! That's how mine looked at first . I just realized that today is my 1 month locaversary. I'm so happy with them . They've grown out some already.
Who did your locks?

Thanks! I'm so excited, I can't keep my hands out of my hair.

I'm a total product junkie too. I still don't quite know how to function without putting delicious products in my hair. I can't wait to get the green light to deep condition. I haven't gotten around to throwing out/giving away my products yet. I guess i'm not emotionally ready :grin:

I had 2 people working on my hair in tandem. I don't know if they's want me to shout them out on the forum so i'll just say they're both listed on the Sisterlocks website, one in New Rochelle, NY and one in Mt. Vernon, NY.

msdeevee

Ok, that's great @Akilah .

I had been a loose natural for about 13 years before my locks so I had tried everything from Brazilian keratin treatments to the horse shampoo & conditioner & gels, detanglers, expensive combs & everything in btwn. I have a drawer full of flat irons, blow dryers & hair dryers , steamers, curl formers, rods and most everything else that was touted here & elsewhere. Don't know what I'm gonna do with the wigs & ponytails & human hair for braids & twists. I'm so over it.

I am loving water only, no products and I will continue like that . After I looked at the 2 vids posted above by @nothidden I'm even more determined to stay away from a lot of products . I'll just find a nice oil mix when I can start using it and I do plan to have my consultant dye my hair ASAP . That's it.

I don't like the Sisterlocks starter shampoo , so I'll probably find a couple of good shampoos and my oil mix and some type of conditioner when that's allowed and periodically do that detox wash but that's it for me. I'm glad to be over the product junkie trap I was in.

I understand where your coming from but I don't know any pro that doesn't want you to shout out their work if you're pleased. My consultant is at Vanity Hair Studio in Brooklyn. Her name is Natasha. I'm not thinking of changing . She's also on the website and if we like her work which is exceptional she wants us to review on Yelp, FB, Instagram and word of mouth that's how they build their businesses. In fact she gives a discount when someone books with her from your recommendation.

Enjoy every stage of your locks. I hope you keep posting.

mscocoface

Did you start and maintain your locs yourself?

Yeah, I maintain my own. Call it naive or crazy but I have been doing my own hair for over 25 years so I thought I could do this also. Considering the positive comments I think I am doing a pretty good job but this was a huge mental mind shift. The same as it was when I went natural.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Yeah, I maintain my own. Call it naive or crazy but I have been doing my own hair for over 25 years so I thought I could do this also. Considering the positive comments I think I am doing a pretty good job but this was a huge mental mind shift. The same as it was when I went natural.
Good for you. I considered starting and maintaining my own, but after just 2 yrs of wash 'n go styling I have had enough! I miss the days of barely doing anything to my hair like when I wore it barbered, so I plan on visiting a loctician every 3-4 weeks after I get my starters.

msdeevee

Ladies, for future reference.

Do any of you know of any Black owned company that sells lock products? Like shampoo bars & accessories? I'm still using & probably will be for a while the Sisterlocks shampoo but one of the YT'ers was saying that now that her locks are settled she uses the Knotty boy shampoo bar which she really likes. She has beautiful locks so I checked it out . It's a white owned company. I have nothing against wipipo but....not for locks! The site is extensive too with vids, tut's, loc jewelry they have it all.

Are there any Black owned sites like this?

I already know about Oyin.