Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Guinan

Re-Branding
Here they are! Again, for some reason, when I upload pics from my phone, they upload sideways.

That's a good size. Your hair looks sooo shiny! ! Ur locs are gonna look so nice.

How long was ur hair prior to the twists? Whenever I decide to loc, i want to be a good length 1st.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Hello :wave:

I'm not sure exactly how long my hair is...I have never straightened it, so I don't know the true length. My guess would be bra strap length, but I have cut my hair several times over the years. In fact, I cut an inch or two back in September.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Thanks ladies! I'm very excited about this new journey. I feel as though I could have done a better job caring for my hair as a loose natural. This loc journey gives me a second chance to get it right (in some ways). I'll definitely be in this thread... A LOT! :look:

My loctitian did an awesome job! I'm excited to know she will be caring for my hair until it matures. She has even talked about teaching me how to re-twist after I visit her for a few maintenance sessions. My first maintenance appointment is December 30.

Last edited:

kandiekj100

This is my 1 month update

I went back for my first retwisting by the loctician. It is my second retwist, but I did the first one myself.

Here are pictures of my hair before the appoint with and without flash

locs month 1 update (before retwist).jpg locs month 1 update (before retwist) (2).jpg

and after the retwist, with and without flash

locs month 1 update.jpglocs month 1 update (2).jpg

I was afraid that my hair would hurt because of all the tangling, but she was still gentle with my hair. I enjoyed the whole process from the wash to the retwist. I just hate sitting under the dryer.

1BalancedBeauty

Arian kandiekj100. You both look beautiful! I sometimes wish I would have gone to an experienced locitation to start my locs. They would have had a better perspective as to whether they were being started 'too small' for my texture, density, etc.

kandiekj100

kandiekj100, what are you using to moisturize? Any other ladies with starters have a moisturizer recommendation?

That's a good question. Mostly just water and I don't even do that too often. Most times when I hop in the shower I leave my shower cap on, but every so often I'll just hop in without it. While I don't rinse my hair, I do allow steam and whatever water lands on my hair to moisturize it. For the first few weeks I was putting coconut oil it. However, just now I'm realizing that I have not put any coconut oil on it since my retwist. I have put caster oil concoction on my scalp though. And since my hair is so short, I'm sure it still winding up on my hair. Perhaps that's why I don't feel the need to put anything directly on my hair just yet. Since it has only been a week since my last retwist I'm sure I'll revisit the coconut oil on my hair in the coming weeks. Also I have also put shea moisture coconut & Hibiscus Hold and Shine Moisture Mist and that seems to be okay.

I don't why I can't ever just give a simple answer. Sorry.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
That's a good question. Mostly just water and I don't even do that too often. Most times when I hop in the shower I leave my shower cap on, but every so often I'll just hop in without it. While I don't rinse my hair, I do allow steam and whatever water lands on my hair to moisturize it. For the first few weeks I was putting coconut oil it. However, just now I'm realizing that I have not put any coconut oil on it since my retwist. I have put caster oil concoction on my scalp though. And since my hair is so short, I'm sure it still winding up on my hair. Perhaps that's why I don't feel the need to put anything directly on my hair just yet. Since it has only been a week since my last retwist I'm sure I'll revisit the coconut oil on my hair in the coming weeks. Also I have also put shea moisture coconut & Hibiscus Hold and Shine Moisture Mist and that seems to be okay.

I don't why I can't ever just give a simple answer. Sorry.

I'm glad to get an answer! Last night, I mixed distilled water and a little of Shea Moisture Olive & Green Tea oil blend in a mist sprayer. I didn't want to overdo it. Misting helps to not distribute too much water (didn't want a drippy head). That worked okay, but not great. My ends still feel dry, so I may mist my hair again later in the week and rub a bit of oil on my ends. My scalp is a bit itchy/flaky, so I will be oiling my scalp tonight after I get home from work.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
kandiekj100, what are you using to moisturize? Any other ladies with starters have a moisturizer recommendation?

For sisterlocks they recommend using just water but since yours were started with twists I can recommend what I used for moisturizing my twists

My absolutely favorite was Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier. It was thick so I would either spray it in my hand and moisturize like you would with a cream or I would mix it with water and spritz it on my twists

Oyin handmade hair dew mixed with water to make a spritz

The reason I diluted both was so I wouldn't have build up

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
For sisterlocks they recommend using just water but since yours were started with twists I can recommend what I used for moisturizing my twists

My absolutely favorite was Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier. It was thick so I would either spray it in my hand and moisturize like you would with a cream or I would mix it with water and spritz it on my twists

Oyin handmade hair dew mixed with water to make a spritz

The reason I diluted both was so I wouldn't have build up

Foxglove, thanks so much!!! I think I have heard good things about the Protective Mist Bodifier! I will look into both products--I think Target sells both, so that's good.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

ChasingBliss

Arian, I'm certainly no expert but I'm not sure if you should be moisturizing them as much yet. Im thinking you need some time for it to loc up. The more moisturizing you do the more softened your twists will remain thus prolonging the locing process. If Im wrong someone please chime in. I'm still learning myself but this was something I was told by my loctician and dh--he's been loc'd for about 10 yrs.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
@Arian, I'm certainly no expert but I'm not sure if you should be moisturizing them as much yet. Im thinking you need some time for it to loc up. The more moisturizing you do the more softened your twists will remain thus prolonging the locing process. If Im wrong someone please chime in. I'm still learning myself but this was something I was told by my loctician and dh--he's been loc'd for about 10 yrs.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. So just misting them with oil should do? I don't plan to moisturize daily or anything. Maybe once a week with water only? ChasingBliss

My loctitian mentioned just oil, but she also said I could use a cream as long as I emulsified the heck out of it--but I don't want the buildup.

Locedandloaded

Arian I've been loced for two years and come from a family of locers. I'm also training to be a loctician myself. Having said that I'm no expert but I've always been told/taught that any products which provide 'slip' or condition should be avoided when locing as the aim to to get hair to tangle. Products which provide slip will prevent locing and creamy products cause build up. Washing hair is fine and misting lightly with water or a light oil every couple of days is fine. Best to wash with a clear shampoo as well.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Thanks ladies! I need to stop looking at my hair so much, but I notice that I have pesky single strand knots on some of my twists. Should this concern me or does it not matter since I am locing up?

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Thanks ladies! I need to stop looking at my hair so much, but I notice that I have pesky single strand knots on some of my twists. Should this concern me or does it not matter since I am locing up?

I would leave the SSKs alone. They will eventually be a part of the loc. You just need to keep two individual locs from fusing together. Otherwise let them do their thing

Locedandloaded

Nope, no need to worry about them as they'll eventually become part of the loc!

ChasingBliss

This morning when I woke up, (had no scarf on when I use a satin pillow case). I was lying on my back and when I attempted to turn my head...I had trouble moving because my locs were caught behind me LOL.

Even though it was at the very top near my shoulders, it told me that my hair was inching towards my back. I also notice that they are falling into place as they grow...not stick every which way. They want to hang now. YAYAH.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I had to delay my retighten again because of my work schedule. I'm getting it done today at 7 weeks. I will never wait this long again if possible. I really want to learn how to do my own retightens so I'm not at the mercy of a loctician if life happens. She already told me this session going to take longer than normal
On a positive note I've officially had these in for 16 weeks :grin:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
8 days in and I have the itchiest scalp! I oiled my scalp yesterday, and it is still itching. I find myself doing the "extension pat", rather than serious scratching. I also have serious hand in hair syndrome, so I'm going to have to work on that. I may have to put my oil in an applicator bottle and oil it that way to really get the oil concentrated on my scalp (I did the misting instead).

Locedandloaded

8 days in and I have the itchiest scalp! I oiled my scalp yesterday, and it is still itching. I find myself doing the "extension pat", rather than serious scratching. I also have serious hand in hair syndrome, so I'm going to have to work on that. I may have to put my oil in an applicator bottle and oil it that way to really get the oil concentrated on my scalp (I did the misting instead).

Have you tried tea tree oil? I use just a small amount but I find it works wonders for my scalp itchiness.