Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I don't think it was a reaction to the olive oil. The mixture just didn't help my icky scalp is all. After washing my hair is fine for about two days before it starts flaking and gunking up. Is it possible to have oily scalp and dry hair? You think I would know that answer already seeing as I have been a member for 1,000 years :lachen:

word....:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

To answer your question, that might be possible. What are you washing your hair with?

FlawedBeauty

word....:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

To answer your question, that might be possible. What are you washing your hair with?
What aren't I washing with is the question :lachen: I'm a bit of a pj when it comes to shampoos and such. Currently I have paul mitchell super skinny poo and condish. Before that Nexxus (can't remember which line but I loved it). Before that Elucence moisture balance poo and condish....the list goes on and my scalp is always exactly the same. Head and shoulders dandruff shampoo works but it dries and knots up my hair something fierce.

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I'll hit the four month mark on the first of November. I can tell my hair is progressing as it should because I've busted about 10 scrunchies in the last two weeks alone :lachen:. Even the ones for thick hair aren't cutting it.

Alright now!!!! Way to go. Sounds like your hair is thriving and making good progress if you're busting up scrunchies. :lachen: That doesn't happen for me, but some days it is harder to get my hair in my puffs for bed.

What aren't I washing with is the question :lachen: I'm a bit of a pj when it comes to shampoos and such. Currently I have paul mitchell super skinny poo and condish. Before that Nexxus (can't remember which line but I loved it). Before that Elucence moisture balance poo and condish....the list goes on and my scalp is always exactly the same. Head and shoulders dandruff shampoo works but it dries and knots up my hair something fierce.

Girl you weren't lying....that is a lot. :lachen:. If the Head and Shoulders is working for you, maybe you should stick with that and scrap the rest. Since you are getting ready to embark on a lock journey, knotting up your hair is a good thing. Maybe to counteract the dryness, you can spray your hair with something like rosewater and glycerin, or aloe vera juice. Have you tried using aloe vera gel on your scalp? Or a chamomile tea rinse after shampooing? That may help calm it down. Hopefully the other ladies can chime in with suggestions. In the meantime, I went on a search for you and found these. Take what you need from them and leave the rest.

I said that because in this first video, she has loose natural hair and she kind of lost me after she was adding all those extra ingredients. I'm not sure if it would rinse out well or cause buildup in your locks down the line. But, maybe you can use this to prep your loose hair before you get your starter locks done.

This second one is just tea and water, so it might be better suited for after your coils are put in and you start locking. You can also use tea bags so you don't have to worry about straining the loose tea.

Also, from some of the search results I'm getting, apparently people are using chamomile tea to lighten the hair, but I wonder if it's the other ingredients added to it that is causing the hair to lighten and not the tea itself.

And lastly, I will add these 2 little gems.:

Alright, I'm going to try to go back to sleep for a little while now.

FlawedBeauty

Alright now!!!! Way to go. Sounds like your hair is thriving and making good progress if you're busting up scrunchies. :lachen: That doesn't happen for me, but some days it is harder to get my hair in my puffs for bed.

Girl you weren't lying....that is a lot. :lachen:. If the Head and Shoulders is working for you, maybe you should stick with that and scrap the rest. Since you are getting ready to embark on a lock journey, knotting up your hair is a good thing. Maybe to counteract the dryness, you can spray your hair with something like rosewater and glycerin, or aloe vera juice. Have you tried using aloe vera gel on your scalp? Or a chamomile tea rinse after shampooing? That may help calm it down. Hopefully the other ladies can chime in with suggestions. In the meantime, I went on a search for you and found these. Take what you need from them and leave the rest.

I said that because in this first video, she has loose natural hair and she kind of lost me after she was adding all those extra ingredients. I'm not sure if it would rinse out well or cause buildup in your locks down the line. But, maybe you can use this to prep your loose hair before you get your starter locks done.

This second one is just tea and water, so it might be better suited for after your coils are put in and you start locking. You can also use tea bags so you don't have to worry about straining the loose tea.

Also, from some of the search results I'm getting, apparently people are using chamomile tea to lighten the hair, but I wonder if it's the other ingredients added to it that is causing the hair to lighten and not the tea itself.

And lastly, I will add these 2 little gems.:

Alright, I'm going to try to go back to sleep for a little while now.
Omg thank you so much for all of this!! I was thinking of just going w the head and shoulders but I've read that it's not good for locs cuz it's like utra conditioning. But idk what those people are talking about because it dries my hair out some thing fierce lol. Off to watch these videos!! Thank you much again!

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Omg thank you so much for all of this!! I was thinking of just going w the head and shoulders but I've read that it's not good for locs cuz it's like utra conditioning. But idk what those people are talking about because it dries my hair out some thing fierce lol. Off to watch these videos!! Thank you much again!

You are so very welcome! Now aren't you glad you came in here? :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
I've always known Head and Shoulders to be very drying and not conditioning so I agree with you there....although I could have sworn I saw a newer product that claimed to be moisturizing, I think it was a shampoo and conditioner combined. Those things are the worst!

I was just thinking out loud when I made those suggestions, and thinking back on being in esthetician school and we used to use chamomile tea as one of the steps in the facials we were learning to do. I remember our teachers saying it is calming and would help to calm irritated or sensitive skin down and help heal acne, so then I googled it for hair after you mentioned your issues. (My specific search was 'chamomile tea rinse for natural hair' if you want to continue searching through some of the results. I just picked out a few that seemed applicable to your situation.)

Please let us know if any of those suggestions works for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think I want to try the last one. Her hair is gorgeous and ever since I started locking I stumbled on her videos and watched her journey, then learning that I could condition my hair with tea instead of using creamy conditioners that could lead to build up in my locks was interesting.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Thank you! I'm really stressed out about how I gonna sleep without the coils ending up a hot mess and getting the right size. My hair is so soft and fine I'm worried about it locking up at all!

You'll be fine! Tie your hair up at night and when you wake up, let the steam from the bath or shower plump them back up. Or you can spray them with water to revitalize them.

As far as the right size, I think the parts will play a part in what size your locks will end up being, but ultimately, your hair is also going to do what it wants to do. If you want a lot of locks that will end up on the small side, then you should have more horizontal parts (rows) and if you want thicker locks then of course there would be fewer parts, if that makes sense.

With your hair being so soft and fine, it will lock, it may just take longer than someone with a different texture. I believe @BillsBackerz67 mentioned earlier in this thread that when she started her locks they came undone once, but look at her locks now! Her hair looks amazing. You'll get there.

Lastly, if you are really concerned, you can always ask the loctitian to put the comb coils in and interlock the roots to secure them. That should help them stay.

DXLYN on YouTube started her son's locks that way. That's where I got the idea to interlock my twists two weeks after I put them in to help secure them. As a result, I never had to redo any of my twists and my hair gets lots of moisture.
I think if I had interlocked my son's twists from the beginning some of them would not have came undone.

Here's a video for reference:

One month later:

Have you decided how you will maintain the new growth yet?

BillsBackerz67

Thank you! I'm really stressed out about how I gonna sleep without the coils ending up a hot mess and getting the right size. My hair is so soft and fine I'm worried about it locking up at all!
Thank you for mentioning me @shortycocoa

How long is your hair? If you have some length this will def help with the unraveling. The shorter your hair the more likely it will unravel. Also depending on where you live now is a good time to start locs. The air is dry and not as humid so it helps them not poof and swell up too much. Invest in scarves and learning how to style them, that’s what got me thru the hump. I started my locs with 2-3 inches of hair, my texture isn’t Loc material, AND it was summer o_Oall a recipe for disaster. But I made it lol.

FlawedBeauty

You'll be fine! Tie your hair up at night and when you wake up, let the steam from the bath or shower plump them back up. Or you can spray them with water to revitalize them.

As far as the right size, I think the parts will play a part in what size your locks will end up being, but ultimately, your hair is also going to do what it wants to do. If you want a lot of locks that will end up on the small side, then you should have more horizontal parts (rows) and if you want thicker locks then of course there would be fewer parts, if that makes sense.

With your hair being so soft and fine, it will lock, it may just take longer than someone with a different texture. I believe @BillsBackerz67 mentioned earlier in this thread that when she started her locks they came undone once, but look at her locks now! Her hair looks amazing. You'll get there.

Lastly, if you are really concerned, you can always ask the loctitian to put the comb coils in and interlock the roots to secure them. That should help them stay.

DXLYN on YouTube started her son's locks that way. That's where I got the idea to interlock my twists two weeks after I put them in to help secure them. As a result, I never had to redo any of my twists and my hair gets lots of moisture.
I think if I had interlocked my son's twists from the beginning some of them would not have came undone.

Here's a video for reference:

One month later:

Have you decided how you will maintain the new growth yet?
Goodness no!! Lord I haven't even thought about how I'm gonna maintain my ng. What are my options :lachen:

FlawedBeauty

How long is your hair? If you have some length this will def help with the unraveling. The shorter your hair the more likely it will unravel. Also depending on where you live now is a good time to start locs. The air is dry and not as humid so it helps them not poof and swell up too much. Invest in scarves and learning how to style them, that’s what got me thru the hump. I started my locs with 2-3 inches of hair, my texture isn’t Loc material, AND it was summer o_Oall a recipe for disaster. But I made it lol.
My hair is a layered hot mess. It's about bsl at the half way point, then the rest to the front is like shoulder to apl. I'm up in CT so we have seasons lol

BillsBackerz67

My hair is a layered hot mess. It's about bsl at the half way point, then the rest to the front is like shoulder to apl. I'm up in CT so we have seasons lol
Good you chose a perfect time to start them AND you have some length! Ur def at more of an advantage than I was. You’ll be ok. Are you going to even your hair out some?

FlawedBeauty

Forgot to say you and your hair look lovely lol!
Good you chose a perfect time to start them AND you have some length! Ur def at more of an advantage than I was. You’ll be ok. Are you going to even your hair out some?
I was thinking about it and I wasn't sure if I should although it probably makes sense. What would you suggest?

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Goodness no!! Lord I haven't even thought about how I'm gonna maintain my ng. What are my options :lachen:

You can interlock the new growth using a tool or your fingers (I've seen people with thicker locks do this) or you can retwist using a product like gel and clips, or no product at all and just water (again, DXLYN has videos on how she retwists her clients' and family's locks this way), or you can just separate the locks at the roots if you plan to freeform and don't want a manicured look.

ETA: I forgot about palmrolling! I think I made an earlier post where there was a video showing the technique, because someone had asked. I will work on a separate post with video links to everything I referenced.

I and a few others in this thread interlock, and there are others who retwist. I thought we had a freeformer or two also. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. OP, at the very beginning in @Platinum's first post are a list of questions that we have all answered about starting our locks. I believe one of the questions was how do you plan to maintain them, so if you read through some of the posts that may help you make your decision. @Platinum, didn't you say earlier that you were going to start palmrolling yours?

Also, different maintenance methods produce different results, so some people choose the method of maintaining their roots based on how they want their locks to look.

Forgot to say you and your hair look ovel

I was thinking about it and I wasn't sure if I should although it probably makes sense. What would you suggest?

Once you mentioned how long your hair was, I agree with @BillsBackerz67 and I think you won't have to worry about unravelling. I wouldn't cut them, because during the locking process your hair will shrink up and condense through several of the stages. Eventually they stop doing that and you will end up seeing the growth that you're retaining more. So, I say just wait it out if you can and the locking process will take care of the rest and you never know...you may end up liking the shape they end up growing in.

However, if you just want a drastic change before you start your locks and don't mind your hair becoming shorter through the locking process, then go for it. Your hair will catch back up in no time. Is your hair also color treated?

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

If anything I would cut the back layer An inch or two just so there’s not a start contrast in length once the locs go in. Your head will look pitiful and hungry the first day or two just a forewarning! I felt like a scalped baby bird :lachen:Lmao But that’s totally up to you!

FlawedBeauty

You can interlock the new growth using a tool or your fingers (I've seen people with thicker locks do this) or you can retwist using a product like gel and clips, or no product at all and just water (again, DXLYN has videos on how she retwists her clients' and family's locks this way), or you can just separate the locks at the roots if you plan to freeform and don't want a manicured look.

ETA: I forgot about palmrolling! I think I made an earlier post where there was a video showing the technique, because someone had asked. I will work on a separate post with video links to everything I referenced.

I and a few others in this thread interlock, and there are others who retwist. I thought we had a freeformer or two also. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. OP, at the very beginning in @Platinum's first post are a list of questions that we have all answered about starting our locks. I believe one of the questions was how do you plan to maintain them, so if you read through some of the posts that may help you make your decision. @Platinum, didn't you say earlier that you were going to start palmrolling yours?

Also, different maintenance methods produce different results, so some people choose the method of maintaining their roots based on how they want their locks to look.

Once you mentioned how long your hair was, I agree with @BillsBackerz67 and I think you won't have to worry about unravelling. I wouldn't cut them, because during the locking process your hair will shrink up and condense through several of the stages. Eventually they stop doing that and you will end up seeing the growth that you're retaining more. So, I say just wait it out if you can and the locking process will take care of the rest and you never know...you may end up liking the shape they end up growing in.

However, if you just want a drastic change before you start your locks and don't mind your hair becoming shorter through the locking process, then go for it. Your hair will catch back up in no time. Is your hair also color treated?

I think retwist or palm rolling will be my best bet. The interlocking looks too tedious for me and my hair is fine so I'd be aftaid to snap it off . My hair is color treated. I think I colored it like 5 months ago maybe.

FlawedBeauty

If anything I would cut the back layer An inch or two just so there’s not a start contrast in length once the locs go in. Your head will look pitiful and hungry the first day or two just a forewarning! I felt like a scalped baby bird :lachen:Lmao But that’s totally up to you!
Lmao!!! OMG...pitiful aaaand hungry?! Dag. Please elaborate you making me nervous :lachen:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I think retwist or palm rolling will be my best bet. The interlocking looks too tedious for me and my hair is fine so I'd be aftaid to snap it off . My hair is color treated. I think I colored it like 5 months ago maybe.

See, you made that decision quick! Sounds like you're good to go. I won't post the links to all the videos if you're firm in your decision. But I will say this...you can use a different tool to interlock besides a latchhook. I think years ago when I was thinking about locking my hair I got discouraged because back then EVERYBODY was interlocking through the latchhook method and I didn't understand it and thought it was too difficult to grasp. I was also afraid I was going to mess up my locks by making mistakes. I also knew I didn't want to retwist using products and clips, remembering to twist in the same direction every time, having to sit under a dryer or wait for them to air-dry even back then. So I just said forget it.

I use different sized plastic yarn needles and a coil-less safety pin as my primary tools to interlock. It's much easier to handle and it works for me.

Another piece of advice that may help you is to look at videos and pictures of people who have locks that have been started and maintained the same way you have decided to start and maintain yours. This has helped me tremendously in terms of having various points of reference, putting the journey into perspective, as well as for motivation and seeing what I have to look forward to. You can also ask them questions if you need help with something.

It's also recommended not to continue switching back and forth between methods, since different methods produce different results and your locks will reflect those differences. Some people still do it for different reasons, though. But if you want your locks to have a uniform look the whole way throughout your journey, you should stick with one method, unless that method is not working for you.

It's also good that you already have color, instead of deciding to color your hair after you start locking. It's recommended to do everything to your hair before you start than after, since the color has the potential to loosen your hair texture, hence your locks, especially if they are colored at the beginning of the journey.

Some people wait until after their hair has went through a good bit of the process for that reason, or they color using different methods other than bleach.

If I decide to experiment with color, I plan to go that route and use something like a rinse or a spray on color, etc. But there's just something about a set of full, healthy black locks so I may never color them.

Last edited:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I didn't think your starter locks looked like that! But I get what you're saying. This time around I initially started with finger coils, but I took them out because I didn't like the way they were looking. I'm glad I had only done part of my hair and not my whole head.

Lmao!!! OMG...pitiful aaaand hungry?! Dag. Please elaborate you making me nervous :lachen:

It does sound drastic, but don't let that scare you. :lachen:

With you having a good length, you may not experience it to that degree. Also, if your hair is thick that will help minimize the look @BillsBackerz67 is referring to. All starter locks look a certain way at first, unless you decide to start with instant locks. They will thicken up over time.

But it's similar to the plucked chicken look that people who are just starting Sisterlocks usually refer to. It doesn't last long, but some people really let that get in their heads. I know someone who is a Sisterlocks consultant, got her Sisterlocks installed by my consultant back when I still had them, and about a week later my consultant said the woman took the whole install out. She couldn't get past that part, but it's a very brief part. Maybe for some people it's an eternity, but I also think she realized after it was too late that she really wasn't ready for that journey.

FlawedBeauty

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I didn't think your starter locks looked like that! But I get what you're saying. This time around I initially started with finger coils, but I took them out because I didn't like the way they were looking. I'm glad I had only done part of my hair and not my whole head.

It does sound drastic, but don't let that scare you. :lachen:

With you having a good length, you may not experience it to that degree. Also, if your hair is thick that will help minimize the look @BillsBackerz67 is referring to. All starter locks look a certain way at first, unless you decide to start with instant locks. They will thicken up over time.

But it's similar to the plucked chicken look that people who are just starting Sisterlocks usually refer to. It doesn't last long, but some people really let that get in their heads. I know someone who is a Sisterlocks consultant, got her Sisterlocks installed by my consultant back when I still had them, and about a week later my consultant said the woman took the whole install out. She couldn't get past that part, but it's a very brief part. Maybe for some people it's an eternity, but I also think she realized after it was too late that she really wasn't ready for that journey.

I have been preparing for that part. And my hair is fine textured and not dense so bring on the baby bird :lachen: I'm not doing anything with my hair as it is so I doubt I can look any worse haha.

Sheesh I went from not wanting to step foot in this thread cuz it was so long to now y'all probably sick of me lmao

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I have been preparing for that part. And my hair is fine textured and not dense so bring on the baby bird :lachen: I'm not doing anything with my hair as it is so I doubt I can look any worse haha.

Sheesh I went from not wanting to step foot in this thread cuz it was so long to now y'all probably sick of me lmao

Nope! I'm glad you decided to join us and ask questions. I don't mind helping a fellow LHCF sister out!

BillsBackerz67

LMAO im only laughing at baby bird proper :lachen: They look good!! Those little coils made the size you have now? I thought they would be much smaller locs.
Haha yes and to think I thought they were too small and I almost combined them. Would have been looking crazy. Def not trying to scare you but 2 of my friends loc’d their hair and they text me shortly after saying how thin it looked. I’m like chill trust the process!:lachen: