1. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/upcoming-changes.849375/
    Dismiss Notice

Long-term Naturals Who Are Over Their Hair

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by CarLiTa, Jan 5, 2016.

1. CarLiTa

CarLiTa Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    SAME!!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE FINE HAIR! Ugh. I"m so annoyed.

2. fifi134

fifi134 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This thread is so on time. I am so over doing my hair, but I can't imagine going back to relaxed hair either. I'm not a weave/wig wearer, and I hate paying people to do braids/twists for me, so I just don't do them very often.

I am so lazy now; I've cut my hair three times in 2015, two in 2014. I cut it to SL in May 2014 and it grew back to BSL by September 2014. It grows back really quickly, which is why I don't care about cutting often.

I'm also tired of feeling anxiety about doing my hair. Like I gotta mentally prepare to wash it every 5-7 days, actually DC and then style it. I used to be so into my hair but the time commitment is too much.

@mstar I'm interested in hearing more about your locs. I'm with @Southernbella. in that I've been considering them (and sisterlocs). Last week I almost bit the bullet but I wanna be totally sure. My sister has APL locs and they are BEAUTIFUL. She got them bc she was a lazy natural too and everyday I'm reminded of what could be...until I see how much time she spends tightening them lol.

3. JerriBlank

JerriBlank Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I missed my old pixie cut, so I got a bomb ass wig. It's custom made, and really sexy. My SO definitely responded to it like I wanted him to. I love it. I don't have time to keep my hair healthy, and cute at the same time right now, so I got the wig. It's my first one, and i'm looking into another one. Plus I get the access to my hair when I want it. I used to think wigs were an old lady thing before I got mine. I'm glad for this break, it looks really good on me. Plus my wig maker is a black woman, and i'm always down to support! Winning all around. :yep:

4. yardyspice

yardyspice Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is me :lol: Meanwhile my "versatile" hair is under a wig or in a bun :rolleyes:

My aunties with locs have beautiful styles which I just drooled over at a wedding. One used pipe cleaners to set and it was just gorgeous.

jbwphoto1 likes this.
  5. yardyspice

yardyspice Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    @mstar Congrats on the baby planning!

yaya24, JerriBlank, frizzy and 2 others like this.
  6. Ogoma

Ogoma Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    At the intersection of happiness and contentment
    I love the versatility (or the option for versatility) of my natural hair.

Once I discarded all the rules, I found my hair became so much easier to maintain.

jbwphoto1 likes this.
  7. CarLiTa

Blog Posts:
    What does that mean? You're being so cryptic :lol: Spill the beans!

8. jennboo

jennboo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I was 'over' my locs last june, so I combed all of them suckas out.
    I am in love with my loose natural hair and will never loc again lol

9. Joigirl

Joigirl Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, I am 3.5 years in and I've made my hair length goal in stretched form. I am getting a little bored and my hair care regimen is on auto pilot now. I want to try new styles, but I'm just too lazy because I have two more naturals heads to do, my daughter and my niece...I will keep going until I get the strong urge to cut again.

jbwphoto1 and GGsKin like this.
  10. Ogoma

Ogoma Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I use cones. :lol: makes detangling a breeze. It takes me 15 mins or less to detangle in the shower with my fingers and a large tooth comb.

For the most part, I deep condition for as long as it takes me to finish my shower.

I don't have all day or even half day hair sessions. Even my straightening took me 45 mins to blow dry and 30 mins to straighten in smaller sections (1or 2 passes- comb chase method).

11. CarLiTa

Blog Posts:
    Oh ok:lol: I like this. Cones are what has helped me tolerate my hair lately. That, and Oyin and TGIN. But $20/month just for conditioner? I cannot.

Anyway, I'm impressed with your blowdrying and flat-ironing speed! It gave me a slight bit of motivation.

Ogoma likes this.
  12. DarkJoy

DarkJoy Bent. Not Broken.

Blog Posts:
    whaaaaat?!:eek:

I know some really great scientists. I think I can bribe them into cloning your hair growth chromosomes :lol:

13. Ogoma

Ogoma Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I thought it was going to take me longer, which is the reason I have been lazy to do it. I was shocked.

I washed and deep conditioned in the shower before work. Put it in a bun with no products so it can air dry a bit. After work, sprayed heat protectant and blew it dry in 12 sections (4 sections split into 3) with a blow dryer and brush. It was relatively straight after that and I think it made the flat ironing quicker. After blow drying, I used phenyl trimethicone neat out of the bottle. In addition to heat protection, it made my hair really soft with no greasiness.

jbwphoto1, claud-uk, CarLiTa and 2 others like this.
  14. Femmefatal1981

Femmefatal1981 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Been over it.. I don't do twist outs, I don't do weaves, I don't do wigs...I basically wash n go or go to the salon for a blow out. If my hair wasn't lifted to the heavens I would consider relaxing, but I would't have any hair left, lol.

15. JudithO

JudithO Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    Girl let me just tell you that I love your head of hair!!

16. thatscuteright

thatscuteright Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I have been natural since 2000. Over it and the 50 million hair products that I bought.

jbwphoto1 and PracticallyMe like this.
  17. thatscuteright

thatscuteright Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Can you pass here information on. I am really considering this as well.

18. ItsMeLilLucky

ItsMeLilLucky Aka Giveme D’Monee

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Right now, I'm just over my hair period. I've had just about every style except for Sisterlocks, lace wigs, and probably something else I'm forgetting. It's relaxed, but it still looks natural and lately it's been giving me problems. I'm about to throw in some Senegalese Twists and give it a break.

jbwphoto1 likes this.
  19. Supervixen

Supervixen Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This August will be 10'years natural for me. Ive been over it, but,
    1. I'm not going back relaxed
    2. My curl pattern is not consistent enough to wash and go
    3. I'm too lazy to braid/twist out nightly

That leaves me currently as a straightened natural.

I now have a one year old and another baby due early in June, so I'm exploring DIY U-PART wigs. I need something quick, presentable and that gives me the ability to wash my hair at least weekly.

jbwphoto1, brg240 and thatscuteright like this.
  20. Natty_Virgo

Natty_Virgo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I want to say I've been natural for 4 years but I can't remember. I recently got a little bored with it so I cut it to SL and my hair was long as hell. I wanted to go super short again but decided on SL instead. Once it grows back out I will probably color it or something. I am never ever ever going back to relaxed so I will have to figure it out and keep playing with it.

brg240 and oneastrocurlie like this.
  21. SunRai Naturals

SunRai Naturals Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Yes Op. I am so over it. I grew my hair about an inch or two past my waist and I'm proud of that but as it got longer my hair didn't get heavier at all it just shrunk even more. My particular hair properties are such that my hair tangles from root to tip. Well in order for me to grow it that long, I used finger detangling so just imagine how long it took to do my hair. After five years of actively growing it (but 15 years natural) , I wanted something different so I relaxed it but hated it so I only kept it in for 18 days and then shaved it all off.

I loved the stages of bald to twa and now it's grown past that. I like long hair but I want something different (still natural though). Right now I am thinking about getting sisterlocks but they are so expensive.

jbwphoto1 likes this.
  22. Crackers Phinn

Crackers Phinn Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Blog Posts:
    That's hilarious cuz you're the first person I thought about when locs were mentioned upthread.

jbwphoto1, jennboo and Honey Bee like this.
  23. Maracujá

Maracujá November 2019 --> 13 years natural!!!

Blog Posts:
    I've been natural since november 2006 and have been over it for a while now. I even started a thread about it: https://www.longhaircareforum.com/t...ars-what-else-turned-your-hair-around.660891/.

In may 2015 I cut my hair from BSL to SL, my plan was to actually start locking my hair but unfortunately I'm still dealing with dandruff and I want to remedy that first before taking the plunge. I think I got bored because I thought I had learned it all, but now that I am rereading Audrey Sivasothy's book, I'm realizing that there is still so much I need to learn and so many hair challenges I need to conquer. What motivates me is that I never did reach my goal, my goal was MBL hair but I only got to BSL, so that motivates me to keep going. I also want to try out more styles that don't require blow drying or straightening my hair; there are a few youtube gurus who are also on this journey (Kimmaytube, NikkiMae2003 to name a few).

jbwphoto1 and Rocky91 like this.
  24. caligirl

caligirl Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Go to the salon and get a cute cut! Short hair is so liberating and it can grow out healthy again.
    I also would try a new line of products

fatimablush likes this.
  25. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This damn hair. I used to do so many fun styles. Now I can't even seem to remember what they were. I've been natural for 20 + years, but I doubt relaxed hair would leave me less bored. I could be interested in braids or something, but they hurt like hell to get on my sensitive scalp. I have never done any other type of fake hair and don't have the life bandwidth to figure out how to do it properly. I am stretched thin and don't have time for that. If I learn anything new and time- intensive it's going to be makeup:lol: or Java. Plus I workout and sweat and I can't do anything that would prevent me from washing my hair weekly. I like locks ... on other people. Maybe I'll investigate them for myself when I'm much older.

I might invest the time on the weekend to try some of those fat Marley braids or whatever myself. Can you was your hair in those a lot without matting? They look like they leave your hair too loose and tangle prone. Uh, assume I have hair on the nappiest end of the scale.

yaya24, KimPossibli, sharifeh and 5 others like this.
  26. lalla

lalla Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I've been natural for 11 years now. I'm just tired of my hair. It's thick, MBL, but I live in almost 100% humidity do it's impossible to set it. Braid outs, twistouts, blowouts all look like afros.
    I am over the natural hype. My most used products these days are pantene conditioner, vaseline, scurl and henna.

jbwphoto1 and brg240 like this.
  27. nerdography

nerdography Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I was natural for six years and I was over it two years ago. I kept fighting against getting a relaxer, but the detangling was getting on my nerves. And I hated that doing my hair took the entire weekend, two days.

I've been relaxed for two weeks now and I'm loving it. No tangling, no dryness, and it takes seconds to do my hair in the morning. And washing my hair only takes two hours.

28. Rocky91

Rocky91 NYE side boob.

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I'm over it but irritated that I have yet to reach BSL in the 3 years since I shaved my head.

I'm sewing it up in weaves for almost one year straight and we'll see after that.

yaya24, jbwphoto1, LBoogie85 and 4 others like this.
  29. dicapr

dicapr Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    It happens with comb coils. That's one of the reasons I started mine with braids. I had less shrinkage which I was glad about because I only had a few inches of hair to begin with.

jbwphoto1 likes this.
  30. FoxxyLocs

FoxxyLocs Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I've been natural for 10+ years. I still love my hair, but I spend minimal time on styling. I straighten every couple of months. In between I wear a lot of buns and an occasional twist out. I did some mini braids once that came out really cute, but I don't have the patience to do it again. I'm hip length now.

jbwphoto1, cravoecanela and Rocky91 like this.