Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I finally washed my hair. I used the following: Olaplex 4&5, KCKT, and KCCC. Oh, I put a little bit of Olaplex 3 on my hair before I used KCKT. I got the idea from @Chicoro. I have fine hair, so I'm hoping it reinforces my strands. Time will tell. My hair is styled in two flat two-strand twists. I will keep my hair this way for the rest of the week. My ends will stay pinned up.
WNGs are not working for me in this extreme cold weather, so protective styling it is.

faithVA

I think I have come up with my weekly regimen strategy. On the weekend, I plan do CCS (cleanse, condition and set/style). My style for the weekend will be a wash and go. Right now my wash and go last 3 to 4 days. Midweek, I will just rinse, condition, apply leave-in and put my hair into flat twist. This regimen allows me to keep my hair hydrated, keep learning how to style my wash and go but also give me a mid-week styling break.

Maybe every 2 to 3 months I will clarify, do a protein treatment, followed by a deep conditioner and color my hair.

This should give me good retention for 2022.

This should give me good retention for 2022. I think it is simple enough to maintain.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
So, we're heading toward the middle of the 3rd week in January? Who's bold and brave enough to have the nerve to say they're already tired of working on their ends?

That's right. I didn't think so! I don't want to hear it people. We've got Hair Ends to beautify, and length to retain.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I haven't moisturized my hair in two days and it still feels moisturized. The sealing works! I also crocheted the ends of my hair to the bases or my ends to protect them. I can't wait to get cornrows again. I now know I do not need to moisturize every day which will extend the life of my braids

DVAntDany

@Chicoro I was going to a Cut It Kinky verified stylist. She followed the CIK cutting technique of a very angular curly bob. After each maintenance cut/trim it took nearly 12+ weeks for me to style my hair properly again. Beyond not being a fan of the hair cut, I wasn’t overly pleased with other happenings that took place at the salon. At this time, I’d rather grow my hair out than have a style I do not like seeing on myself. Frankly, I’m tired of looking like a young Frederick Douglass.

LushLox

Hey ladies, I hope you're all loving' on your ends.

How often are you guys M&S'ing your hair post wash and DC?

I will normally DC then I won't need to M&S until like three days later, and then the next time it will be my wash session again. Although, it isn't an exact science; sometimes I do have to up the moisturising levels. However when I keep my ends tucked in and wrapped up in my cap, I find I don't necessarily need to M&S that often. I've been using a steam cap too, lately, which seems to be helping.

DVAntDany

I did an impromptu hair straightening. So now my length and ends can be seen. My ends don’t look too bad.

I clarified with Kinky Curly Come Clean. Then used Olaplex #4, #5, #6 and #7. I blow dried with the Dyson on second speed and second heat setting. Then I flat ironed on 370 degrees with one pass.

F4C33FB4-4498-44C1-8482-0515DD3F669D.jpegE8A04678-3880-4A9F-AD3F-7407A9E4000F.jpeg9A001026-BEB5-438C-9F3E-ACD3A1A0B684.jpeg6639BF55-F21C-4038-95E2-6CBBBCC9FD1D.jpeg

keranikki

Hey ladies, I hope you're all loving' on your ends.

How often are you guys M&S'ing your hair post wash and DC?

I will normally DC then I won't need to M&S until like three days later, and then the next time it will be my wash session again. Although, it isn't an exact science; sometimes I do have to up the moisturising levels. However when I keep my ends tucked in and wrapped up in my cap, I find I don't necessarily need to M&S that often. I've been using a steam cap too, lately, which seems to be helping.
Due to this brick cold weather and high winds, I must M&S daily. If I'm teleworking, I can get away with M&S every 4-5 days. If I have to step outside, I must M&S that night. This Buffalo, NY weather is fierce and it's sapping all of the moisture out my hair.

Chicoro

Chicoro

Due to this brick cold weather and high winds, I must M&S daily. If I'm teleworking, I can get away with M&S every 4-5 days. If I have to step outside, I must M&S that night. This Buffalo, NY weather is fierce and it's sapping all of the moisture out my hair.
It sounds like you may need another level of protection. That could be in the form of a scarf or a lined hat or a baggie. How are you styling your hair?

Chicoro

Usually between Friday and Sunday I take down my braids and put my hair in bantus in preparation to re-braid for the next week. It looks like my Ends Routine is already paying dividends.

1. There is no velcro-like stickiness of hairs on the ends of my braids.
  2. When I twist all my braids into a chignon, they also are not sticking together.
  3. When I unbraid my hair, I do not have any tangles.
  4. The hair easily unbraids from the very ends of the braids.
  5. There is no major breakage.
  6. Braids are not unraveling and creating halos of tangles around the braids.

Attachments

• Hair Ends Jan 21 2022 A.jpg
    Hair Ends Jan 21 2022 A.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Hair Ends Jan 21 2022 B.jpg
    Hair Ends Jan 21 2022 B.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 20

keranikki

It sounds like you may need another level of protection. That could be in the form of a scarf or a lined hat or a baggie. How are you styling your hair?
I wear two two- strand flat twists ( basically two cornrows) to form a small halo. I pin the ends up. I'm currently using products for my WNG to seal my hair (KCKT and KCCC). Oil-based products makes my hair feel hard and dry in this weather. The products I’m using now make my hair feel soft and dry in this weather.

Last edited:

Chicoro

I wear two two- strand flat twists ( basically two cornrows) to form a small halo. I pin the ends up. I'm currently using products for my WNG to seal my hair (KCKT and KCCC). Oil-based products makes my hair feel hard and dry in this weather. The products In using know make my hair feel soft and dry in this weather.
I still think you may want to consider covering the hair at some points during the day. The cold air wicks or sucks moisture from the hair, as it would do from the skin on the body if that body skin were not also covered.

Chicoro

AHA!

My Hair Ends Process is 2 Part-Fold: I have a treatment process and a maintenance process.

Treatment Process 1: (Which is done weekly)
  • Use Olaplex No. 0 on the last half of hair section before braiding.
  • Use Olaplex No. 3 on the hair 10 minutes later. Do not wash out.
Maintenance Process: (Which is done nightly)
  • Wet hair with warm water on the last half of hair.
  • Saturate Ends of Hair with castor oil.
  • Coat the Ends with Shea butter.
  • Place hair on top of head in loose bun.
  • Cover with baggie.
Treatment Process 2: (Which is [will be] done Every 2 Months) ****
  • Use Aphogee 2 Step, in Whipped Form, on Entire Head
  • Sit under dryer (got to be careful with my melasma- heat can make it worse!)
  • Deep Condtion
  • Follow Up with normal leave after wash/deep condition process

****I am going to add in my Aphogee 2 Step Process again. I stop using it when my hair begins to drop strand by strand down to lower, longer lengths. I stop Aphogee 2 Step use because it has tended to break off those precious, fragile, lone hairs. I have decided to start back for two reasons.
  1. Firstly, I've got strong little 'packs' or sections of hair that are grouped together at my longer lengths. I might have about 100 hairs in the sections.
  2. Secondly, I am seeing how Olaplex is actually transforming the fortification of my ends and my hair is not fraying or breaking on the ends right now.

BONUS:
  • By using the Olaplex 0 and 3 as a weekly Hair Ends Treatment, I use sooooo little of the product! I am able to thoroughly saturate my hair with Olaplex No. 0 per the instructions and coat with Olaplex No. 3 and not go through the product super fast.
  • Since I am not bleaching my hair, I don't need the product from root to tip. Let's see where this goes!

Chicoro

The hair at my nape is around 22 inches. I am tiny with an even shorter than normal torso. My body is mostly legs. I mention all this to say that two of my length goals were to have my hair cover the 'small of my back' and then to reach the top of the pubic bone, also called the pubic mound, in front of my body. It looks like at 22 inches, that I will hit there with an additional 2 inches. Thus, I think at 24 inches it will be at that goal length.

That's about 2 inches needed to gain in 2022, in that section, at the nape area.

My dream is to hit 30 inches. The hair in my crown is at 26 inches. That would be the only area that might hit there at the end of 2022. That's four (4) inches. At my current length and growth and retention rates, I barely get one (1) inch a year.

The goal is I must, must, must, retain as much of the length I receive, as possible. But that's ALWAYS been the name of the game, right?!

Last edited: