Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Their experiences were consistent with mine: Noticed less hair loss during the wash and condition process! I don't believe this product reduces shedding. I believe this product reduces breakage.

Reduction of breakage is very important for afro-textured hair. Our Hair Ends are old, weathered and fragile. Anything that mitigates these vulnerabilities can only help usher one toward cultivating Luscious Healthy Ends.

Video of Olaplex No. 3 on natural hair.

Video of Olaplex No. 0 and No. 3 on natural hair.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I ended up giving myself a protein treatment with aphogee 2 minute when I have Olaplex 1 and 2. I totally forgot. I have had it for a while. I hope its not expired. I will alternating with Aphogee and Olaplex every other wash day and see how that goes

Chicoro

I ended up giving myself a protein treatment with aphogee 2 minute when I have Olaplex 1 and 2. I totally forgot. I have had it for a while. I hope its not expired. I will alternating with Aphogee and Olaplex every other wash day and see how that goes

Aphogee is a protein treatment. Olaplex is not a protein treatment. Thus, you can use them both. The Aphogee impacts and fortifies the outside of the hair strand. The Olaplex fortifies the inner part of the hair. Aphogee and Olaplex complement one another.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Aphogee is a protein treatment. Olaplex is not a protein treatment. Thus, you can use them both. The Aphogee impacts and fortifies the outside of the hair strand. The Olaplex fortifies the inner part of the hair. Aphogee and Olaplex complement one another.

I forgot about that! I needed a protein treatment badly though. My hair was so mushy after taking out my braids. I also have Joico Defy damage protective masque I need to use up too.

snoop

I've been keeping my routine pretty simple and continuing to do water detangling. Overall, my hair still continues to shed and break WAY less than it used to, so I'm excited to see what my ends will look like the end of the year.

I'm wearing twists and trying to keep my hair covered as much as possible. At the beginning of the year, the weather was a bit milder so I manged to get away with only moisturizing after washing my hair, but last week it was so dry inside and outside of the house that I did a water rinse mid-week.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm wearing a wash n go for the time being. My hair seems to have broken off in braids. I have an appointment to get my hair braided again and I think I am going to cancel.

I sealed my ends with Mirta de Perales Keratin Serum. So far I like it. Its supposed to repair, illuminate and protect. It is a bit thinner than it used to be but so far it working well. I like that its not greasy. I will probably seal one to two times a day since the air is so dry.

Chicoro

I'm wearing a wash n go for the time being. My hair seems to have broken off in braids. I have an appointment to get my hair braided again and I think I am going to cancel.

I sealed my ends with Mirta de Perales Keratin Serum. So far I like it. Its supposed to repair, illuminate and protect. It is a bit thinner than it used to be but so far it working well. I like that its not greasy. I will probably seal one to two times a day since the air is so dry.

If you have the time to seal 2x per day, you may want to consider covering your hair instead. Even with sealing 2x, the air may still wick the moisture from your hair.

Chicoro

This video compares Curl vs Olaplex 3 vs Aphogee 2 Step. She has a great comparison chart at around 5:29 in the video.

My thoughts:

Aphogee 2 Step - Is protein. It is hydrolyzed collagen. She has the ingredient incorrect as hydrolyzed vegetable protein. It is collagen protein, not vegetable protein. Hydrolyzed collagen protein is an amino acid. It is made up of 33% glycine (just like Curlsmith) with proline and another ingredient). Aphogee coats the hair and enters into the hair strand. It bonds to the surface materials of the hair, which are helped along by the heat and hardening of the product. It washes out.

Curlsmith - Is protein. I would not consider it a bonder like Olaplex. The active ingredient is CREATINE. Creatine consists of the amino acids glycine and arginine. It is TEMPORARY in that it goes into the hair because it is a tiny amino acid BUT, it is washed away. Yes, the name is a bonder, but it works just like Aphogee 2 Step.

Olaplex - Is NOT a protein. I do consider this a bonder. Once the Olaplex molecule binds the disulphide bonds together, they are bound FOREVER. You need Olaplex because we are constantly BREAKING disulphied bonds. Once bonded, it does not wash out. You need it to tackle the other bonds you just messed up.

All three (3) of these products bond to the hair. Aphogee 2 Step and Curlsmith bond to the physical substrate, or hair strand. They adsorb onto the hair and absorb into the hair. (Adsorb and absorb are two very different processes. This is not a typo... this time.)

The difference with Olaplex is that it absorbs on a molecular level. It combines and bonds with molecules which create and make up the physical subsrate of the hair. That is not the same thing as Aphogee and Curlsmith.

I would suggest one use Aphogee 2 + Olaplex 0 and 3.

I would suggest one use Curlsmith and Olaplex 0 and 3.

I would not suggest one use Curlsmoth and Aphogee 2 together. That's too much protein.

Last edited:

Chicoro

Alright, wanna-be-escapees
from this thread. We are rounding out and heading for the end of the month of January 2022.

I would say about 90% of folks are done with this challenge already. But I’m not letting you go that easily.

We got hair to grow and places to go!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
from this thread. We are rounding out and heading for the end of the month of January 2022.

I would say about 90% of folks are done with this challenge already. But I’m not letting you go that easily.

I'm still in it to win it! I am not letting go of these ends till I reach my next length goal so they will be aggressively protected and nourished! Still sealing 2x a day and keeping it covered when I can. I was sealing with a serum but then I felt like I was wasting it so I switched to using my favorite hair butter. I prefer it and like that my hair hasn't gotten oily despite me using a butter daily.

I switched to wearing wash n goes instead of braids under my wig. I still think I will wear my wigs but on the weekends when my wash n go gets old. I noticed that my ends got frizzy with this particular wash n go but my roots stayed beautifully defined. I love the curl memory of my natural hair! Plus the curls do not get flat or stretch out when I sleep like it did when the majority of my hair was keratin treated. I just fluff and go in the morning! Easy peasy! My natural hair is beautiful :kiss3: I do not know why I could not see it for so long. Here's to staying natural and not messing with keratin or botox anymore :alcoholics:

caribeandiva

Human being

I’m still here. I’m in it to win it too! My stylist wants me to visit her every 3-4 months to trim thin ends but I remember you telling me and the ladies here not to do that. I’m back to regular deep conditioning and protective styling. I’m excited to see my hair in December!!

Chicoro

I’m still here. I’m in it to win it too! My stylist wants me to visit her every 3-4 months to trim thin ends but I remember you telling me and the ladies here not to do that. I’m back to regular deep conditioning and protective styling. I’m excited to see my hair in December!!
Wait a minute now...I say not to trim in certain situations. What is your stylist saying exactly? The last time I saw your lovely hair, you had gotten a deep trim and it was freshly cut! Why is the stylist wanting to trim every 3 and 4 months? Do you have some new breakage?

Chicoro

Wait now! Booty might be fat, but got to have my Snacks for energy.
Can't be doing hair while hungry.

Last minute items like oils for that pre-poo! Yes!

'Bout to do my Hair Ends Treatment y'all!"
Hands Up! Michael Jackson to the back. Fast spin 1 and 2 .

How about you? What's YOUR Hair Ends Plan for the weekend?

caribeandiva

Human being
Wait a minute now...I say not to trim in certain situations. What is your stylist saying exactly? The last time I saw your lovely hair, you had gotten a deep trim and it was freshly cut! Why is the stylist wanting to trim every 3 and 4 months? Do you have some new breakage?
Yes after that deep trim is when she said that I still have thin ends and she didn’t cut them all off last time. She basically said not to do yearly trims because if there’s a problem we might not catch it for months or a whole year. She recommended every 3-4 months that way I can monitor my hair better. She said my hair was healthy other than the thin ends.

Last edited:

Chicoro

Yes after that deep trim is when she said that I still have thin ends and she didn’t cut them all off last time. She basically said not to do yearly trims because if there’s a problem we might not catch it for months or a whole year. She recommended every 3-4 months that way I can monitor my hair better. She said my hair was healthy other than the thin ends.

If you trust her, and you can monitor and control and keep the amount she trims to an acceptable level, will you consider her suggestions?

Chicoro

Usually, at by Friday, my Hair Ends are somewhat fuzzy and not always easy to unloosen. I have removed my braids and put them into bantu knots. My braids came out with no tangled frizz. I didn't even have to WET my hair to get my braids out. This is only January! Excited to see what February brings.