Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
What does the Bis key ingredient do?
Based on the response above about seeing results with Olaplex #3, I'll stick with it and buy a second bottle and continue with my weekly prepoo with number #3 overnight, shampoo with Olaplex, deep conditioning and apply the Olaplex conditioner. I tried finger detangling this last wash session and it went fine until I blowdried. Blowdrying finger detangled hair with a RevAir wasn't enough to get it reasonably smooth. I didn't notice anything different until I tried to put my hair in a bun and the hair was crispy tangly so....had to go in with a wide tooth comb and then a brush (with a tangle teezer type brush) to smooth it out. Don't plan on detangling again until wash day but I was disappointed. Resisted detangling with a tool this whole time to just have to go in after the blowdrying process and then seeing all the broken blowdried hair in the brush. Guess it was unrealistic to finger detangle and blowdry.
I just don't know how to manage this breakage that I always get! I don't even know how I retain length with the amount of breakage that I get! Ugh
Sorry to hear that your blow dry session resulted in some breakage.
I know for myself, personally, my blow dry process is totally different than my wash and braid up process. I finger comb when I have braids. But I must absolutely thoroughly comb my hair when I blow dry. I also have to get all the grease and butter I put in it, which can take a day or two or three to get out by washing and rewashing.
The hard part is figuring out what works best for one’s hair. I have also found that my hair at different lengths requires different care. Afro textured hair is really quite complex. Hang in there. It’s not easy, but it is do- able.
Besides, we are family. You got all your sisters and me, who are all would be escapees. ‘Cause once you are in this thread, ain’t none of y’all leaving… including you @Fine 4s !

The bus key ingredient rebonds the disulfide bonds. Disulfide is a fancy way to say: two connected sulfur bonds.

These sulfur bonds being intact, and not broken, impact the way your hair feels, how smooth it looks all the way to how healthy it looks. Sun, heat tools and chemicals such as dyeing hair can break these sulfur bonds. Olaplex connects these bonds. The bis ingredient grabs one single sulfur bond and then another and forms a connective bridge between the two: the re-bonding.

Chicoro

Alright, pretty things with lovely hair, were are SOLIDLY in April! That's right, we're in month #4 of 2022! It's never too late to start focusing on those luscious hair ends. If you've been with us from the beginning, you are now going on 4 months of specialized Hair Ends Care.

Chicoro

Stick with us if you want that gorgeous hair to be blowing in the wind.

Please note: Her HAIR is blowing in the wind. NOT, her hair 'strand' is blowing in the wind.
Thin, raggedy and scraggly hair strands blowing in the wind are not as impactful as a head full of luscious healthy ends.​

Chicoro

Speaking of thin, scraggly Hair Ends, I got them and I'm keeping them!

But, I noticed today that some of my hair strands have dropped in length. I've got strands at 23 inches and 27 inches. The former lengths were 22 inches and 26 inches, respectively.

I have also noticed that Olaplex #3 continues to keep my hair ends stretched and straight. I'm rooting for Olaplex #0 and #3 to get up that hair hill and over the hump and to the top of the 30-inches- of -hair -length- mountain by December 2022.

Chicoro

How is everyone doing on your Luscious Healthy Ends journey?
Are you roaring into April like a lion, coming in gentle like a lamb, or squeaking by like a mouse?

Even if you are struggling, if you are here today, you'll likely be still in the challenge later. So, congratulate yourself on your accomplishment.

Chicoro

Make sure whatever you are using in and on your hair, you are keeping your hair clean. Too often, it's the funky ones that are popping up happily smelling flowers talking about how good things smell, OBLIVIOUS to their own funk whipping about. Don't be one of those! Yes, fling that hair but make sure it's fresh and not funky.

snoop

Speaking of thin, scraggly Hair Ends, I got them and I'm keeping them!

But, I noticed today that some of my hair strands have dropped in length. I've got strands at 23 inches and 27 inches. The former lengths were 22 inches and 26 inches, respectively.

I have also noticed that Olaplex #3 continues to keep my hair ends stretched and straight. I'm rooting for Olaplex #0 and #3 to get up that hair hill and over the hump and to the top of the 30-inches- of -hair -length- mountain by December 2022.

You guys are making Olaplex sound sooo good! I want to try!

But I have a question: When you say that it's keeping your hair stretched and straight, do you mean that your hair is holding your stretched styles better or that the formula is actually loosening your coils?

I'd want to give it a try at some point, but I kinda like my coilage.

Chicoro

But I have a question: When you say that it's keeping your hair stretched and straight, do you mean that your hair is holding your stretched styles better or that the formula is actually loosening your coils?

Neither.

I put Olaplex on my ends. I braid my hair. I coat with castor oil and Shea butter. I leave for one week. On the following Sunday, I unbraid my hair and put each un-braided section into its own bantu knot before re-styling. When I undo the bantu knots, I noticed that the ends are straighter. That's all.

GettingKinky

I use olaplex on my ends every week before I wash. I leave it on for 10 minutes. 20 at most if I get distracted. My ends are just as coily as ever.

apple_natural

The past week: I've steamed my hair once or twice. It didn't get as dry along the part of my buns where it would throughout the week before. I also oiled my scalp a little each day.

Wash day:
Tried to use castile soap out of curiosity. BAD IDEA. Bentonite clay + ACV got it out
TGIN rose DC under hooded dryer
Banana scented leave in + Rice bran oil on strands
Wild growth oil or whatever its called - on scalp

This week: Work on developing the habit of keeping my scarf of when I am at home

faithVA

In the past month, I've been doing a simple shampoo, followed with K18 and then some type of twist. In the meantime, I've been clipping splits on styling and take down. This is just to maintain my ends until I see my stylist next month. Hoping to have a fresh start with my salon visit in May and the do monthly K18 treatments after that.

I finally colored my hair last week. I will pay attention this month to see if I have less breakage and fewer splits. I think it is my gray hair that really causing most of my issues.

I am definitely retaining because my puff is coming along. This week I will try to get back to curly sets and keep my hair more hydrated.

LushLox

I did my usual Olaplex treatment, followed up with my wash DC. My air-dry was so good today, it's like my hair is finally trained to air-dry without me actually having to do much to it.

I'm in the office tomorrow, so I have my bun accessories at the ready lol.

My office situation is so ideal, I can basically go in when I want! It is so nice not having to think about doing my hair for work.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
After taking down my braids I had so much breakage even though I was careful taking them out. I did a hair Botox treatment and straightened my hair and my ends looked horrible.

Before_Trim_4.4.22_2_50.jpg

So I cut them back. Its a little uneven but I am not going to bother with it now. Its going to take me forever to reach APL.
After_trim_4.4.22_2_50.jpg
I wanted to cut it shorter and get rid of all of the thin ends but I decided to keep a little length. I will trim again in 4-6 months. Braids seems to be a no go for me. My fine hair doesn't like being tucked away for long periods of time. So I'm giving up the daily wig use and going back to styling my real hair. Currently embracing bun life because wash n goes have me with wet hair every day this week and I cant stand the feeling of my wet hair. Its not warm enough to make me want to have wet hair on a daily basis either.

snoop

After taking down my braids I had so much breakage even though I was careful taking them out. I did a hair Botox treatment and straightened my hair and my ends looked horrible.

View attachment 479891

So I cut them back. Its a little uneven but I am not going to bother with it now. Its going to take me forever to reach APL.
View attachment 479893
I wanted to cut it shorter and get rid of all of the thin ends but I decided to keep a little length. I will trim again in 4-6 months. Braids seems to be a no go for me. My fine hair doesn't like being tucked away for long periods of time. So I'm giving up the daily wig use and going back to styling my real hair. Currently embracing bun life because wash n goes have me with wet hair every day this week and I cant stand the feeling of my wet hair. Its not warm enough to make me want to have wet hair on a daily basis either.

Is it possible that the braids hair was drying your hair out, as in sucking the moisture from your hair? Have you considered protective styles (braids or twists) using your own hair?

I think that you'll be able to reach APL this year. You just might need to wear a "boring" style to get there.

(BTW, I think your hair looks pretty.)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Is it possible that the braids hair was drying your hair out, as in sucking the moisture from your hair? Have you considered protective styles (braids or twists) using your own hair?

I think that you'll be able to reach APL this year. You just might need to wear a "boring" style to get there.

(BTW, I think your hair looks pretty.)
I moisturized them and took care of my hair while I was in braids. I guess my hair just doesn't like cornrows for long term styles. Twists with my real hair don't look good. I also have alot of breakage in the front so my hair would look crazy with just my real hair in braids or twists, plus my hair is fine and low density. Singles styles just don't look good on me. If they did, I would loc my hair but I hate the way I looks in braids so I figure I would hate locs too. lol I think I will try buns or wash n goes to see what sticks. I just want to look cute with my hair styled on most days. I may never reach APL and beyond because of that. lol And thank you for the compliment. I hate my hair. I'm still trying to find a way to accept it.

GettingKinky

I moisturized them and took care of my hair while I was in braids. I guess my hair just doesn't like cornrows for long term styles. Twists with my real hair don't look good. I also have alot of breakage in the front so my hair would look crazy with just my real hair in braids or twists, plus my hair is fine and low density. Singles styles just don't look good on me. If they did, I would loc my hair but I hate the way I looks in braids so I figure I would hate locs too. lol I think I will try buns or wash n goes to see what sticks. I just want to look cute with my hair styled on most days. I may never reach APL and beyond because of that. lol And thank you for the compliment. I hate my hair. I'm still trying to find a way to accept it.
I’m still rooting for you to find a way to like your hair.

snoop

I'm not sure if it's a difference of one month or just a difference in how I washed my hair/what I washed it with on each of these days, but this is one month, three days difference.

Feb 2

LHCF_20220302_1.jpg

April 5

LHCF_20220406_Ends.jpg

I've been using a combination hydrolyzed proteins in my wash every week (oat, plant keratin, and for a while baobab, but I ran out) and I think that it's been helping my hair. At the beginning of the year, I planned on trimming my hair every three months, but last month I decided to skip it just to see what would happen. As far as I can see (hopefully, I'm not missing anything) I don't have a lot of tiny broken pieces when I manipulate my hair. I do get some, but not even close to what I used to get at the three month mark.

Fine 4s

In the past month, I've been doing a simple shampoo, followed with K18 and then some type of twist. In the meantime, I've been clipping splits on styling and take down. This is just to maintain my ends until I see my stylist next month. Hoping to have a fresh start with my salon visit in May and the do monthly K18 treatments after that.

I finally colored my hair last week. I will pay attention this month to see if I have less breakage and fewer splits. I think it is my gray hair that really causing most of my issues.

I am definitely retaining because my puff is coming along. This week I will try to get back to curly sets and keep my hair more hydrated.
What’s K18?

Fine 4s

Hey ladies, I’m always talking about my breakage and finally took a picture that will show you the short strands that I get every wash day. This was with figure set angling with EVOO and water. Let me know what you think.