MTG Stench just won't die

juicy555

It's been thickening up my hair lovely, but the smell is still killing me:eek:. I've added peppermint oil and I smell like a giant candy cane (with oh so tingly scalp)... and that's great and I apply it when hair's damp, and that tones it down too... but then I work out the next day and the true MTG stench rises back to the fore. So embarrassing!!!! I work out 5 times a week and have started cutting back using MTG becasue of this. Short of co washing every work out day, I'm not sure what to do. Any sugestions?

I understand girl, I had to stop using MTG so often because my BF was complaining...plus I couldn't stand the smell, it's really overwhelming. I won't be ordering MTG again, I'll just get sulfur powder and make my own concoction.

juicy555 said:
It's been thickening up my hair lovely, but the smell is still killing me:eek:. I've added peppermint oil and I smell like a giant candy cane (with oh so tingly scalp)... and that's great and I apply it when hair's damp, and that tones it down too... but then I work out the next day and the true MTG stench rises back to the fore. So embarrassing!!!! I work out 5 times a week and have started cutting back using MTG becasue of this. Short of co washing every work out day, I'm not sure what to do. Any sugestions?

Juicy555,
there is a proven EO mixture, 10 drops each of Thyme, Cedarwood, Rosemary & Lavender, which is a proven hair growth method. Since EO have a strong potent smell I am confident that this mixture coupled with MTG, should mask its smell as well increase hair growth potential. The smell of the EO mxture is very fresh and refreshing on the scalp, I use it daily in my spritzes and am very confident it can mask the smell of MTG.

MeechUK

MeechUK said:
Juicy555,
there is a proven EO mixture, 10 drops each of Thyme, Cedarwood, Rosemary & Lavender, which is a proven hair growth method. Since EO have a strong potent smell I am confident that this mixture coupled with MTG, should mask its smell as well increase hair growth potential. The smell of the EO mxture is very fresh and refreshing on the scalp, I use it daily in my spritzes and am very confident it can mask the smell of MTG.

MeechUK

Umm...thanks for posting this maybe I'll try this method with the rest of my MTG and see how it goes.

I work part-time at Bath and Body Works and they will be selling Monoi Oil with their spring collection of True Blue Spa and I applied this after MTG and it took the smell down to just a subtle scent much like Sulfer 8.

Thanks for posting, Meech...

I didn't know what to tell the young lady. I'm still using the jojoba oil, which works fine like any other oil, but if she's working out/sweating... I don't know.

You know that sweat tells ALL of our secrets...

MeechUK said:
Juicy555,

MeechUK

Thanks for this info meech, I can already imagine how good this smells.:rosebud: I will try using this combo and let you know how it works. i love MTG and will do anything to continue using it wit as little embarrasment as possible.:)

juicy555 said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I'm sorry, but I FEEL YA!!!! I was at the gym and decided to sit in the steam room...AND THE SMELL CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!!! Good thing I wa in there alone! I walked out, and went back 15 minutes later and there was a couple sitting in there. The guy kept saying "I SWEAR I smell rotten eggs!". I just had to leave laughing....

vickiepickles said:
I work part-time at Bath and Body Works and they will be selling Monoi Oil with their spring collection of True Blue Spa and I applied this after MTG and it took the smell down to just a subtle scent much like Sulfer 8.

Is this available now or not until Spring? The subtle scent I can deal with since it's like that distinct smell you get a few hours after touch up. I will look for this product. Thank you!

brownsugar9999 said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I'm sorry, but I FEEL YA!!!! I was at the gym and decided to sit in the steam room...AND THE SMELL CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!!! Good thing I wa in there alone! I walked out, and went back 15 minutes later and there was a couple sitting in there. The guy kept saying "I SWEAR I smell rotten eggs!". I just had to leave laughing....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lachen:LOL! My worst fear is getting used to the smell and being in public just stinking along without a clue! :lol:

juicy555 said:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lachen:LOL! My worst fear is getting used to the smell and being in public just stinking along without a clue! :lol:

I used to be so worried about the MTG scent when I first began using it. I would try and stand away from people, but I don't think anyone ever notices :)

The only time I had an MTG smell incident was after being in the hot sun for hours and my mother asked me what I had in my hair because my head was smelling strongly of sulfer. This was the day after I had washed and put it on. Most of the other products I have do a good job of camoflauge. I use it at most two times a week.

Blossssom said:
I used to be so worried about the MTG scent when I first began using it. I would try and stand away from people, but I don't think anyone ever notices :)

It would be cool if folks said something but half the time heads could be smelling something reeeeeaaaaallllly bad and not say a word. I just pray it's not me! :lol: I'm off to get those oils!

juicy555 said:
Is this available now or not until Spring? The subtle scent I can deal with since it's like that distinct smell you get a few hours after touch up. I will look for this product. Thank you!

We just put it on the shelves last night! I actually bought mine a couple weeks ago---I bought a couple bottles when it was in back stock!

I actually got tired of protecting my neck to be sure it wouldn't run, so I took my cream that I apply to my hair "Come Back Hair Cream" and I put it in a plastic container and added the MTG to that and mixed it real good, that way I can apply it everyday or other day to the scalp w/out worring about running or smelling. :D

Me and my test dummy (boyfriend :lol: ) used MTG once.

he woke up hungry.

LOL

But I do understand about working out. If you work out heavy, that stuff will be whooping everybody's butt in the gym!(I smelled it for a full week from one application)

Honestly I don't know what to tell you, except good luck!

-A

This thread has me howling. :lachen: DH is asking me what I am laughing about, but, shhhh, I ain't telling. Somethings have to stay just between us, black women. :lachen:

Well I've masked the scent with the cheapest EO I could find...Lemon Oil and it WORKS! I smell like a "lemon drop" according to my son and my husband loves it. Plus lemon oil is good for scalp circulation. I pour mtg in a 6 oz. applicator bottle and then added 100 drops of lemon oil. I know it's alot, but this EO is only about $2 so it's still cost effective. The bottle lasted me one month using it every other day for about 6 weeks.

brownsugar9999 said:

:lachen: :lol: :lol: :lachen:

Jessy55 said:
This thread has me howling. :lachen: DH is asking me what I am laughing about, but, shhhh, I ain't telling. Somethings have to stay just between us, black women. :lachen:

When I went to buy the oils, the combined smell was soooo strong the salesperson looked at me strange and asked me what I needed it for. I told her it was nothing compared to the odor I was trying to kill and left it at that. This truly is a secret club we have here! :lol:

I love MTG threads, I've been having a bit of "Storage problems" with my MTG lately, my bedroom began smelling of rotten eggs, since I have 5 bottles of the stuff, I have had to actually hide it in boxes in a cupboard so i dont smell MTG.
I still love MTG and plan to use it for a long time.....
I have masked my smell by putting woojee cream and Mane N Tail shine on after i apply the MTG, It is a good combination and people keep saying "your hair smells nice!" :lol:
My husband was sniffing my hair the other night, I asked "does it smell?" He replies "It's pleasant not so much like sulfer now!"

MeechUK said:
Juicy555,

MeechUK
Just a word of warning: if you are hypertensive, pregnant, diabetic or have some other chronic ailment check the contraindications before using any amount of any essential oil.

Otherwise, good luck masking the smell!

Lnast night I wet my hair in the shower after putting MTG on days ago...I almost passed out!
The smell was so strong..my bf stuck his head in the bathroom and yelled, "your horse head is starting to stink up the bedroom!"
Talk about embarassing...:look:

WomanlyCharm said:
Lnast night I wet my hair in the shower after putting MTG on days ago...I almost passed out!
The smell was so strong..my bf stuck his head in the bathroom and yelled, "your horse head is starting to stink up the bedroom!"
Talk about embarassing...:look:

:grin: :lol: :lachen:. The 1st time I tried it, I went outside to jump rope and do a little workout in the parking lot and I almost fainted from the smell of myself. I froze each time a car passed by. I just KNEW they could smell me even with the windows up. :cool: The second and last time, I had a wash -n- set appointment at the hairdresser. She never commented but it was the first time she shampooed my hair FOUR times before. :ohwell: Not for me.

Back