Natural Support Thread

Dare~to~Dream

Hair type? I don't really subscribe to the "hair typing" theory but since this question was asked I would say "4A."

Current hair length? Longest layer is (hovering @ or just above armpit length)...doesn't seem to be growing any longer either. :ohwell: It is growing but I don't think I'm retaining a lot of length since I have to deal with tangles/knots all the time.

Goal hair length? I can't really say (I thought it was armpit length) but I really just want my hair to grow to a length I'm comfortable with (full armpit all around or longer?)

Time since bc? I bypassed this all together. :look:

How long did you transition, or did you? I guess I could say I "transitioned" for several years. My last relaxer was August 2002. My hair was "trimmed" over the years and the rest (of the relaxed ends) probably broke off. :look: This was all before I discovered Cathy Howse and hair message boards--I'd yet to adopt healthy hair-care practices.

Biggest hair challenge? Knots, ugh! I feel like I can't gain any "real" length because everyday I have to cut the knots (or pull them out :look:). This only started within the last year or so...before that I never really noticed because my hair was in braids (during all or most of "the college years). I only got a relaxer when I turned 16 but before that I don't remember knots either...hmm...

Stand-by products? I love Kenra moisturizing shampoo and conditoner, Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair, Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner. The last two products are only used on "as needed basis"--I find that I no longer have to use these products as much as I did in the past but I will always make sure that I have them within my reach--if needed.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? For around the house: two strand twists-sometimes braids. For outside of the house: Fake buns (made using human hair) or hair attachments (hair scrunchie or fake afro puff). I've only wore a "twist-out" one time outside of the home/house.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? No, but I was thinking of taking one.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I've considered this off and on...not sure--I don't really like chemicals and I hate the "retouching of the roots" process.

Best hair compliment? I'm told all the time that I have very soft hair.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

SSBD said:
Thank you ladies...

Does any body use MTG or LR or MN or something like that...if so how

I use Lenzi's Request twice a week. I might try another growth stimulant though. I've used MTG in the past.

Divalicious

bLackButtaFly said:
After reading the thread on Nice and Wavy deciding to relax, I thought it would be nice to start a thread that supports those who are natural. Dealing with your own hair, is a continual challenge, and being natural presents its own set of difficulties. We can use this thread, to talk about our challenges with natural hair and how to solve them, also as a natural check-in, and just a thread where you can know you're not alone if you're dealing with natural Hair issues. There are other women out there who are going through the same thing. You are not alone!

Also keeping with the spirit of LHCF this is not a place of judgment, whether you decide to end your natural hair journey, or are trying to decide to begin one you can post here, and give and gain some insight.

What do you think?

I think we're gonna need some structure..

So how about some questions,

Hair type? 4b

Current hair length? A little past shoulder length when stretched

Goal hair length? APL - for now

Time since bc? A little over a year or so

How long did you transition, or did you? A year

Biggest hair challenge? Knots and tangles

Stand-by products? Oyin shine and define, Oyin whipped pudding, Qhemet olive and honey hydrating balm, Qhemet amla and olive heavy cream, Myhoneychild honey hair creme

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Braidouts

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Not at this time

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? ^^

Best hair compliment? Is that all your hair? It was a windy day and my hair looked like a big, round bush:lachen:

Let's start with that.

I hope to master more hairstyles, lol.

ScandalousBeauty

Hair type? 4a/b

Current hair length? a bit below my ear when stretched

Goal hair length?as long as possible, I just want to see it!

Time since bc? Superbowl Sunday...2 months?

How long did you transition, or did you? I transitioned for 6 months

Biggest hair challenge? finding the courage to wear my natural hair out

Stand-by products? Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioner, Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner, Oyin Whipped Pudding, Boundless Tresses,

Stand-by hair style? Wigs, Cornrows and Braids!

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Yes, several in my fotki and my avitar

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? As long as I can flat iron it and it will be straight, then I will stay natural. I want tons of options!

Best hair compliment? Hmm, none yet..

delecie

Divalicious said:
I hope to master more hairstyles, lol.

This is one of my problems! I can't do small cornrows and I don't know how to do flat twists. I've read instructions for flat twists but mine do not look neat! I'm bored with my double strand twists (my hair shrinks a lot) so I really need more styling options and the ability to do them! Sometimes I feel H & H (hopeless and homely) when it comes to my hair.

Poobity

Hair type? Nappy......4a-ish hair.....my hair is mainly undefined coils

Current hair length? Brastap when lightly flat-ironed/stretched

Goal hair length? Waist would be nice

Time since bc? I've never had a bc.....I've always been natural

How long did you transition, or did you? Even though I've been natural, I had to cut off damaged ends due to much pressing

Biggest hair challenge? Dryness...and trying to retain length to get over the brastrap hump

Stand-by products? Lustrasilk Cholesterol (the one w/ shea butter) and BB Moisturizing lotion (the one w/ castor oil and aloe)

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Usually twists or a puff. Right now I'm braided.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? My avatar pic shows my hair in a french braid on twisted hair

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I've never had a relaxer, but was seriously contemplating it.

Best hair compliment? Your hair is so pretty. Don't put chemicals in it.

bLackButtaFly

delecie said:
This is one of my problems! I can't do small cornrows and I don't know how to do flat twists. I've read instructions for flat twists but mine do not look neat! I'm bored with my double strand twists (my hair shrinks a lot) so I really need more styling options and the ability to do them! Sometimes I feel H & H (hopeless and homely) when it comes to my hair.
PRactice makes perfect. Try perfecting your french braid, and then just keep making them smaller and tighter each time you try. Or have a friend do it for you or teach you on a baby doll. BUt keep trying the more you do it the better you'll get at it

delecie

bLackButtaFly said:
PRactice makes perfect. Try perfecting your french braid, and then just keep making them smaller and tighter each time you try. Or have a friend do it for you or teach you on a baby doll. BUt keep trying the more you do it the better you'll get at it

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. I will continue to practice.

Divalicious

delecie said:
Sometimes I feel H & H (hopeless and homely) when it comes to my hair.

LOL, me too. My one and only hairstyle is braidouts. And I use rollers because I like how bouncy and big it looks. When I don't use rollers, it looks crimpy and plain. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. After I get my haircut (hopefully next week), I'll start practising. I tried pincurls once and that was a disaster. But when I was transistioning, that was my staple style. So, I'm going to re-visit that again.

BK Bombshell

Hair type? I think 4a

Current hair length? It's uneven but BSL

Goal hair length? BSL but even

Time since bc? 20 years

How long did you transition, or did you? I didn't really transition. I just never got another touch up so when my hair started breaking, I cut it off.

Biggest hair challenge? Styling my hair and the dreaded tangles.

Stand-by products? Coconut, olive, vatika and black castor oils; my homemade concoctions; Organix Coconut conditioner for my co-washes; Aubrey Organics GBP, Honeysuckle Rose and Island Naturals and my HG: henna

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I'm in two-strand twists 99% of the time. I pull them back in a pony for work. For years I wore twistouts, but my hair kept breaking at my shoulders. Now that I'm past that point, I'm looking to branch out into other styles. I'm not that good at cornrowing but I'm going to give the flat twists a try.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? No, not yet. But I have been spotted at the NY meetings so I assure you I'm real. :lol:

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I can't lie, I've been tempted. Especially after spending an hour flatironing my hair and then watching it rise like a loaf of bread as the day went on.

Best hair compliment? One of my favorites is from my friend: After seeing my hair out of twists for the first time he said "Is all that yours? You have so much..." then he got tongue tied and started waving his hands around my head. :lol:

sholly6

bLackButtaFly said:
After reading the thread on Nice and Wavy deciding to relax, I thought it would be nice to start a thread that supports those who are natural. Dealing with your own hair, is a continual challenge, and being natural presents its own set of difficulties. We can use this thread, to talk about our challenges with natural hair and how to solve them, also as a natural check-in, and just a thread where you can know you're not alone if you're dealing with natural Hair issues. There are other women out there who are going through the same thing. You are not alone!

Also keeping with the spirit of LHCF this is not a place of judgment, whether you decide to end your natural hair journey, or are trying to decide to begin one you can post here, and give and gain some insight.

What do you think? Great idea

I think we're gonna need some structure..

So how about some questions,

Hair type? don't know, sorry

Current hair length? apl

Goal hair length? WL

Time since bc? yesterday 4-3-07

How long did you transition, or did you? yes, a least 10 yrs

Biggest hair challenge? being patience with hair (need to grow faster)

Stand-by products? mtg, afro-detangler, vitamin

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? cornrows

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? sorry not yet

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? not

Best hair compliment? when people ask and look to see if I have tracks in my hair.
:grin:

Let's start with that.
love my hair

tkj25

Hair type? 4a, thick, lush, nappy, frizzy, coily tc's (tiny curls)

Current hair length? 5-5.5 in all over (naturally layered fro)

Goal hair length? 1st: 10 in. (collar) 2nd: 15 in. (armpit) 3rd: 20 in. (midback) 4th: 25 in. (waistlength) -- all stretched, ultimately i'd like to grow waistlength twists.

Time since bc? 1 yr -- bc'd march '06

How long did you transition, or did you? didn't. just shaved it bald. started from scratch.

Biggest hair challenge? dryness, tangles/knots, mad shrinkage 80%+, thankfully, my regime has taken care of all of these issues for me (except the shrinkage:lol: ) i just hope i don't have to adapt it too much once it grows longer.

Stand-by products? multi-vitamins, msm, biotin, silica. i love to make my own hair products! (i hope to be able to sell them someday). i'm a notorious kitchen scientist/product junky:D

my homemade staples are: aloe vera gel, vegetable glycerine, flax seed gel, shea & avocado butters, jojoba, castor, coconut & grapeseed oils ...

my commercial staples are: no-poos (suave, sally's generics), aussie moist, wave nouveau finishing mist, aubrey organics conditioners (rose mosqueta & gpb), paul mitchell awaphui leave-in, trader joe's conditioners ...

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? mainly twists, braid-a-twists, pony puffs, and yarn braids. i recently learned how to cornrow, so i can't wait to experiment once i take my braids out:)

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)?
http://public.fotki.com/tkj25/

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? no. but i've seen some drop dead gorgeous relaxed/texturized heads here that made me wish my tc's could handle the chemicals ... but really, i believe do you when it comes to hair -- i so do not vibe with militant nappies. this is actually my 2nd big chop. i tried texturizing after growing out 16-18 in. natural hair. it was a huge mistake. :lol: it's just not me. i really love my natural hair.:D

Best hair compliment? "your hair looks like a lion's mane!" i can't wait til my mane grow back again:bouncy: hhg

Last edited:

SSBD

Okay i am so BORED with my twa right now...i like to change styles a lot and it is hard keeping my hair like this...i can't get braids for another 2 1/2 weeks and i am going crazy...i don't know what to do....I can't take this anymore!!!!

Sorry i had to vent...

Mystic

SSBD said:
Okay i am so BORED with my twa right now...i like to change styles a lot and it is hard keeping my hair like this...i can't get braids for another 2 1/2 weeks and i am going crazy...i don't know what to do....I can't take this anymore!!!!

Sorry i had to vent...

Why don't you consider wearing tweeny weeny wigs. I have been doing that (the wigs look so natural), and changing them often takes away the boredom of my TWA.

glamazon386

Mystic said:
Why don't you consider wearing tweeny weeny wigs. I have been doing that (the wigs look so natural), and changing them often takes away the boredom of my TWA.

What's a teeny weeny wig Mystic?

honeybadgirl

there were times when i wanted to relax again but it soon fads. i just love my natural hair. of course it takes more time to deal with but not much more. its me and i'm proud of my hair. the best compliment would be, "did you get a perm or i'm so happy you got a perm!!!" and i didnt!! i dont really think thats a compliment but it shows that having natural hair means versatility! i can wear coils, curls, waves or str8!! i didnt bc by the way. like i said, ive had my moments when i wanted to relax but i LOVE my hair:p
(whispers....we'll see how i feel when the summer humidity is back in effect:))

mscocoface

Hair type? 4B mostly

Current hair length? 1 inch from BSL

Goal hair length? Waist length

Time since bc? I did a short cut while natural about 4 years ago.

How long did you transition, or did you? yes, a least 6 years

Biggest hair challenge? being patience with hair (need to grow faster)

Stand-by products? Ayurvedic products, afro-detangler and oils

Stand-by hair style: Twists or HYH style for now

Do you have a picture: See siggy, avatar and fotki.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? When I have to wash it and I need to be out of the house in 30 minutes.:lachen:But I come to my senses and realize this is a journey not a hair fad.

Best hair compliment? when people ask who did my hair?!

CurleeDST

My answers are highlighted below

bLackButtaFly said:
Hair type? 3c/4a

Current hair length? 4 inches. Did a big chop in September 2006

Goal hair length? BSL

Time since bc? 6 or 7 months

How long did you transition, or did you? Nope, big chop

Biggest hair challenge? Umm, leaving it alone.

Stand-by products? Anything Aveda.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? Right now a wash and go with headband.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? Check out my fotki at fotki.com/curleedst

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? At the moment no, but who knows...life is all about options.

Best hair compliment? You have very pretty hair.

QUOTE]

yellagirl730

LovetheLord said:
I have just decided to go natural. I definitely need some support. My mother is so negative about it and so are my sisters. my husband does support it though. I am just a little fearful of it. I know that sounds crazy, but living with relaxed hair is all I know. I have been brainwashed for so long that straight hair is better and if you don't have "good hair" you need a relaxer.

I am also doing this for my daughter, she is 3 months old and I want her to be natural, so I guess I kind of want to do this with her and let her have a positive role model with natural hair in her life. Sometimes I wish my mother would never have put a relaxer in my hair, but I can't blame her she had seven girls.

Anyway just wanted to get that off my chest.

(Say aloud every day: Please God, help me not to put another relaxer in my head.)

Hi, Lovethelord, I am natural, have been since 7/05. Currently wearing my hair in a twistout with the occasional press. I live in Texarkana which is not far from you, but anyway just wanted to say hello to someone in a natural state of mind so close.

ebonyhall1999

Hi I am a newbie here. I recently found this forum and hope that it will help me in my hair care journey.

Hair type? 2b

Current hair length? Almost to shoulders.

Goal hair length? Middle of Back

Time since bc?

How long did you transition, or did you? I wore sistwists for about 1 1/2 years. I recently took the twists out to realize that my perm was completely grown out, and really super curly.

Biggest hair challenge? I don't know how to care for it myself. The costs of the salon are too much for my budget.

Stand-by products? I have purchased so many recently. I have none that I swear by. I am currently experimenting with Aveda Be Curly, Design Essentials Moisture Package (what the last stylist used), and Fructis for Curly hair.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I let the natural moisture from the shower get to my hair, and comb it through with a leave in conditioner and put it in a pony tail.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? I do.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? No, just want to be able to straighten it and wear it curly.

Best hair compliment? None as of yet.

Any help on navigating this board and hair help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
ebonyhall1999:D

hopeful

Welcome Ebony!:) If you ever have any questions I'd be glad to try to be helpful to you. I'm no expert on haircare or natural haircare for that matter, but I've been on here for more than two years and have learned so much.

cmw45

bLackButtaFly said:
I think the biggest thing with curls is what kind are you trying to get. For some they love big hair, w/ alittle definition, and other want the look of curly hair that is very well defined. For me I've come to terms that my kinky esq hair will probably never be defined like I would like it. But that using styles that it dries in no one will ever have to know:look:. I LOVE a twistout!!! And certain products help me with getting them moist and touchable( missjessie's anything). If I want ringlets then flat twistouts are a life saver. (I think I have a pic in my fotki)
But if you're natural curl pattern is already hot you just want to fight the friizz I know that so1913 uses the fantasia ic gel to define, and she has fantastic results.
I also knew one girl who would just wash her hair and wear it loosely banded with hair ties until it dried so that it was her texture, but stretched.

We have similar hair types (but feel free to check my album first) and I use shea butter to help give definition. When I did my twist out, I took out some of the braids when they were dry and got more frizz, but the ones that I took out while they were a little damp came out smooth and very definied. Just a thought. --C

cmw45

Hair type? 4a

Current hair length? 4 inches

Goal hair length? BSL unstretched

Time since bc? 8 months

How long did you transition, or did you? I had a short transition, but had the barber cut it to about a half and inch (see pics in fotki).

Biggest hair challenge? HIHD (Hands in hair disease...I need to get a style keep it.)

Stand-by products? CON Shampoo (In the green bottle), shea butter, and shakiki powder. (These are the only things that I currently find irreplaceable.)

Stand-by hair style: It used to be the wash n' go, but will now probably be the braid-out

Do you have a picture: yes; please see link to fotki, no password needed

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Nope. My hair is 1000% healthier and I have so many styling options.

Best hair compliment? How did you do that?​

snoopy1me

I'll hurry up and participate in this before i cross over lol

Hair type? 4a/b

Current hair length? shoulder length

Goal hair length? bsl

Time since bc? N/A, I slowly trimmed my hair for about a year

How long did you transition, or did you?about year

Biggest hair challenge? thickness

Stand-by products? heat protectant? and cholesterol

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? cornrows

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? just pics of my hair relaxed...the first pic in my album is of me after a previous stretch of naturla hair and the first relaxer run through

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? Yes

Best hair compliment?
How thick it is

Mahalialee4

Hair type? 3b babyfine dense

Current hair length? brastrap

Goal hair length?midbback length unstretched...waistlength stretched

Time since bc? n/a

How long did you transition, or did you? n/a

Biggest hair challenge? keeping hands out of hair, staying minimal in product

Stand-by products? natural coconut oil, Rachette, Le Kair, EVO, Shea butter

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)?

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? in siggy

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed?totally natural...no desire to relax

Best hair compliment? You have no split ends and your hair is so healthy (in person) plus my fotki comments, each one.

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Hair type? Cross between 4a and 4b

Current hair length? Twa(maybe 2 1/2 inches)

Goal hair length? WSL stretched

Time since bc? 11 days

How long did you transition, or did you? Transistioned for 8 months

Biggest hair challenge? Keeping moisture in and currently battling breakage

Stand-by products? Don't really have any since I just started my journey

Stand-by hair style: Wash n go

Do you have a picture: not yet

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed? I said I would, but now, I highly doubt it

Best hair compliment? Not many people have seen it because I hardly wear it out.​

turnergirl

Hello all Turnergirl here. I am a newbie on this site but I have been natural for almost 4.5 years. I have managed to grow my hair as long as I wanted even through the many haircut disasters I had and I had 4 or 5 of them. In August 2005, I decided not to ever go to a stylist again considering the butchering I got. So I started taking care of everything on my own including trims, which can be difficult on natural hair. In September 2006 DH and myself cut my hair just below shoulder length to rid myself of the horrible layers I had. That was pretty much a 3-4 inch cut. Then I began my hair health journey. That's my story.

Hair type? Who knows? I have very fine strands and not very many. I have a kinky coily thing going on.

Current hair length? Just past APL

Goal hair length? BSL

Time since bc? A little over 4 years

How long did you transition, or did you? Barely. I had a three month transition so my BC length was about an inch if that.

Biggest hair challenge? Knots in the very back area. I guess that would be the kitchen area. But it is long. Pretty much the length of the rest of my hair but there is always matting and knots back there. Very frustrating.

Stand-by products? Henna (Jamila), Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner, ACV, Baking Soda, DPR-11 (heistant about the mineral oil but I tried it and loved it. Mineral is pretty far down the list), Lustrasilk Cholesterol with Shea Butter, Cantu Shea Butter Leave in (It's my moisturizer and styler), Castor OIl (for my unruly crown), Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Shea Butter.

Stand-by hair style(and short tutorial if it has not been explained. I think this is crucial because alot of the natural ladies don't know the wealth of styles they can do themselves)? I don't have a standby. I wear a million and one different styles. I absolutely love wash and go's because they can transform throughout the week. I can get three good days out of my wash and go, then I whip out the pins and have a fro hawk for a day or so then a puff for the rest of the week, if I do not want to wash again that week. I also love twists. They give me styling versatility that I would have with straight hair and ultimate convenience.

Do you have a picture(also very helpful)? There is one in my siggy and I have an album.

Do you ever want to go back to relaxed?No. Some days I want to BC again because of the knots in the back but relaxing will not happen.

Best hair compliment? I can't say. I get a lot of compliments but they are all problematic. You know the "Your hair is so pretty. I want to go natural but I don't have good hair like you." While I will always say to each it's own when it comes to relaxing or having natural hair, I will never believe there is a such thing as good hair or bad hair. That does not work for me.:mad:

Last edited: