Naturals!! What Protein Treatments Do You Use?

SignatureBeauty

Hey Ladies I am 4 months natural soon to be 5, but I am now in need of a good protein treatment for my hair, I said I would do one every 4 months, but I am a little over, I always do deep conditioners, but I know need a good treatment because I am having alot of shedding & breaking.

I don't know of anything but Aphogee and that worked great for my relaxed hair and I hope it can work for my natural hair. I want something I can get from sally's and not online, or some homemade protein treatments would be even nicer:lol:

Thanks

SignatureBeauty

How often can you use the GBP? I have heard alot about that one, I might order that one since it will last me along time, How often do you use it?

Thanks!

Syrah

Be careful. Because breaking and shedding can also be caused by excess protein. Your problem sounds more due to moisture retention then in need of strength.

When I First went natural I did the aphogee proten treatement but I haven't done it in a while. I've actually found that the only thing my hair craves is moisture.

KeraPhix also has a protein conditioner.

I second the Keraphix. However, as was stated earlier, I find that my natural hair craves moisture more than protein. I don't use protein as often as when I was relaxed.

Cheleigh

Usually the protein I get from regular conditioners and hair products is sufficient--like other posters have said, my hair craves moisture more than protein.

But I did make a homemade treatment that has some protein in it, plus a bit of moisture.

This is not my recipe:
Blended a banana, avocado, can of coconut milk, honey, olive oil. Put on dry/lightly damped hair for a couple of hours. Rinsed and followed with moisturizing CW.

rosalindb

I use Aubrey Organics GPB once a month as a pre-poo treatment on dry hair. I mix it with organic virgin coconut oil and organic honey.

mahoganee

I use a mayonnaise conditioner, usually silk elements, with an egg, honey, and olive or castor oil added to it.

SignatureBeauty

Thanks Ladies! Yes my hair does crave moisture, But I have some ORS Replenish Paks that I haven't used in awhile, I guess I will give them a go tommorrow and sit under the dryer, or I could use Mayo, I use to use mayo alot but I can't stand the smell & I amout of My hair mayo from silk elements or Ors. I Love those hair Mayos, maybe I need to use them 2x's a month?
But thank you all.

ajargon02

NappyParadise said:
Hey Ladies I am 4 months natural soon to be 5, but I am now in need of a good protein treatment for my hair, I said I would do one every 4 months, but I am a little over, I always do deep conditioners, but I know need a good treatment because I am having alot of shedding & breaking.

I don't know of anything but Aphogee and that worked great for my relaxed hair and I hope it can work for my natural hair. I want something I can get from sally's and not online, or some homemade protein treatments would be even nicer:lol:

Thanks

I use the Aphogee in that has blue lettering, followed by the aphogee conditioner. I follow the directions just like the box said. i blow dry it to get it a bit harder quicker. I rinse, apply the conditioner. then after that, I will use a deep conditioner. in my dp I will mix honey,and oil. put that in my hair, go under the bonnett dryer w/ the cap on. then let it sit in my hair till I feel like washing it out. When I do this, I do it on a day that I know I'm gonna be in the house :grin: I rinse, use a light conditioner as a leave in (herbal essenes totally twisted, or suave daily moisture) mixed w./castor oil, or givonni direct leave-in. then let air dry. Eventually I will twist up my hair and leave it. It seems like it takes a lot, and it does take some time. I WILL pamper my hair. I want to try to save hair that I do grow, and I want it to look and feel healthy! If you are good to your hair now, it will show later!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I use Motions CPR or Ion Rebuilder. I used Nutress Hair packs to transition with, I might go back to that one.

SignatureBeauty

Ajargono2! I think I like that Idea about the aphogee, I think I will get the small sizes and do an aphogee Treatment and then use a Deep conditioner & moisturize, I know my hair craves moisture but when I am getting this shedding & breakage that means it is time for a serious protein treatment LOL!!!

Thank You All! I am still going to look into the GPB & mOTIONS ETC.

BrownSkin2

I don't necessarilty do protein treatments, but I use mane n' tail and it has protein in it. I think my hair craves more moisture as someone else stated.

morehairplease

rosalindb said:
I use Aubrey Organics GPB once a month as a pre-poo treatment on dry hair. I mix it with organic virgin coconut oil and organic honey.

Hi sweetie!!!!

wow, this sounds like such a treat! Thanks for posting rosalindb! Do you mind telling me what brand of coconut oil & organic honey you are using?

thanks in advance,
tishee

BLESSED1

I usually used Emergencee but tried Ion effective care treatment for the 1st time last week & loved it. I used aphogee when my hair was damaged from dyeing, it worked but the smell gives me an asthma attack

Cichelle

I also use Aubrey's GPB when I want to do a protein treatment. Mixing this honey is heavenly. :)

scorpian

I rotate between these three as needed::::
Aubrey organics GPB as a prepoo on dry hair followed by moist poo and cond

after shampooing apply ORS hair mayo w/ends prepped with a moisturizing cond use mastexheat cap 20 min
before I rinse it out I apply moisturizing cond on top of this one for 5 min then rinse(ouidad method)

after shampooing apply Dudley's hair rebuilder use mastexheat cap 20 min no cond needed after this it has it's own balance of moisture and protein

RainbowCurls

I use random things mixed with egg. Usually:

- Egg mixed with conditioners I don't like enough to use separately, and olive oil.

- [thread=83078]Candy C's Avacado mask[/thread], or similar.

ETA: I also use Nexxus Keraphix 1-4 times a month

Last edited:

joyous

mix 2 eggs,1 tbsp. olive oil and 2 heaping tbsp. of Queen Helene cholesterol or Nexxus Emergencee

Last edited:

Victorian

old head
I haven't even used GPB since being fully natural because I've been so busy trying a million other products. But I did make my way through a couple bottles when I was relaxed and transistioning and it really was fab. Hmmm...I might want to re-visit GPB :scratchch

For lighter strengthening I would highly recommend Jason Lavender conditioner. You can use it often without it causing dryness. When I was using it it really improved the strength and elasticity in my hair :yep:

carameldiva

mix 2 eggs, queen helene's choloesterol, safflower oil and honey. That's what i use once a week as a deep conditioner with no heat. Commercial protein treatments that i like are Lamaur's Bone Marrow and Jherri Rhedding's 100% natural protein conditioner.