Question for those that use steamers -- Detangling

coli

So I used my steamer for the first time and I'm confused ... when I went to comb my hair, it wasn't any easier to comb. :ohwell:

I let my hair cool for a while, rinsed it out with warm then very cool water, added my leave-ins but the combout was difficult ... moreso than any other time. I didn't do anything different to my hair than I normally do and I used a hydrating deep conditioner.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Those that say detangling is easier, at what point do you detangle? Do you let cool, rinse, then detangle or detangle as soon as you are done steaming, let cool, then rinse or something else.

2. Those that say detangling is easier - what hair type are you? I'm wondering if it's my hair type that just can't get any easier to detangle (4a/b relaxed with 6 months of new growth).

3. Those that say detangling is easier - Do you do anything special when you rinse? My hair does not like porosity control or the joice equivalent so that's not an option for me. However, maybe there is something that you do that may make it easier for me.

Don't get me wrong, my hair feels very moisturized, it's just that I just want to get the same detangling goodness that most people are reporting to be getting. :yep:

Thank you in advance for your input.

Vintageglam

I have type 4 hair so always detangle before any form of water or condish touches my hair. There are ways to facilitate this. For example I pre-poo my scalp overnight with Neem oil and then oil rinse the next day before I wash. The benefit of this is that the oil gives you major slip to detangle before washing and also means your hair is not so stripped from the shampoo.

I then apply a condish which by the way should be thick but not super-thick as you want the steam to penetrate and do its work on your hair. After 30 -45 mins my hair is like butter and I can do my final rinse.

HTH's

coli

I have type 4 hair so always detangle before any form of water or condish touches my hair. There are ways to facilitate this. For example I pre-poo my scalp overnight with Neem oil and then oil rinse the next day before I wash. The benefit of this is that the oil gives you major slip to detangle before washing and also means your hair is not so stripped from the shampoo.

I then apply a condish which by the way should be thick but not super-thick as you want the steam to penetrate and do its work on your hair. After 30 -45 mins my hair is like butter and I can do my final rinse.

HTH's

Ok, so you detangle beforehand. I really can't do that because I risk too much breakage and oil rinses didn't work for me at all (maybe I'm doing something wrong??). I just keep reading how steaming makes everyone's hair so easy to detangle after steaming and I'm wondering if there is something I am doing wrong.

frizzy

I detangle before washing, and detangle again as I'm putting in the DC before steaming.

Are you dealing with new growth?

I use a cheapie cond as a detangling rinse when I need to.

coli

I detangle before washing, and detangle again as I'm putting in the DC before steaming.

Are you dealing with new growth?

I use a cheapie cond as a detangling rinse when I need to.

Well I keep reading people saying that detangling after steaming is a breeze so I wanted to see what it is they are doing or maybe they just don't have the same hair type as me.

I have 6 months of new growth and detangling hasn't been too bad and I thought steaming would make it much easier but it hasn't. I only like combing once since I have so much new growth and combing after the last rinse is the best option for me so I don't get any big knots due to shed hairs being caught on to other hair.

I will try using a cheap conditioner during my final rinse. So do you rinse with cool water, put the cheapie conditioner on and then rinse again?

Vintageglam

^^^ Maybe its the type of condish you are using with steaming so I am gonna suggest some below:

Elucence Extended Benefits (the gel like one)
ORS Replenishing paks (I mix in some extra olive oil and wheat germ oil)
Motions Silk Protein (add some cheap moisture as well)

I have got good results with the above and they give great slip.

Maybe also your shampoo is the culprit, as it could be stripping your hair too much. My advice would be also to try co-washing for a bit and skipping the shampoo and maybe adding some ceramide technology (look up the threads on this for which there are numerous).

Alternatively :scratchch you could have build up which is preventing penetration so start afresh and completely clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo.

Steamers are not a cure all but they can be one of the missing links when you have resolved all other issues thereby making them a very good way of infusing moisture/ aiding de-tangling.

HTH's

coli

^^^ Maybe its the type of condish you are using with steaming so I am gonna suggest some below:

Elucence Extended Benefits (the gel like one)
ORS Replenishing paks (I mix in some extra olive oil and wheat germ oil)
Motions Silk Protein (add some cheap moisture as well)

I have got good results with the above and they give great slip.

Maybe also your shampoo is the culprit, as it could be stripping your hair too much. My advice would be also to try co-washing for a bit and skipping the shampoo and maybe adding some ceramide technology (look up the threads on this for which there are numerous).

Alternatively :scratchch you could have build up which is preventing penetration so start afresh and completely clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo.

Steamers are not a cure all but they can be one of the missing links when you have resolved all other issues thereby making them a very good way of infusing moisture/ aiding de-tangling.

HTH's

I used MoroccanOil Hydrating Mask on one side and Redken Real Control Masque on the other. I also chelated before doing it to get maximum benefits. After I use a chelating shampoo, I always use WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner, leave on for a few minutes and rinse to make my hair easier to separate when I put the conditioner on. All other times, I just use WEN CC to cleanse.

I will definitely try your suggestion and use a conditioner that is not so thick. I just want the amazing detangling that a lot of peope are reporting. :yep:

Alta Angel

I have type 4a/4b hair and I detangle and braid my hair before I shampoo. After I shampoo I DC under the steamer while still in braids. After I am done steaming, I let my hair cool, then I rinse out the remaining conditioner while still in braids. Next I unbraid one section at a time, apply a leave in condish, and comb thru with a wide toothed comb. I have no problem combing thru my hair at this point.

Also, the more I Dced and steamed on a regular basis, the better I was able to detangle. I faithfully DC and steam once a week now.

frizzy

Well I keep reading people saying that detangling after steaming is a breeze so I wanted to see what it is they are doing or maybe they just don't have the same hair type as me.

I have 6 months of new growth and detangling hasn't been too bad and I thought steaming would make it much easier but it hasn't. I only like combing once since I have so much new growth and combing after the last rinse is the best option for me so I don't get any big knots due to shed hairs being caught on to other hair.

I will try using a cheap conditioner during my final rinse. So do you rinse with cool water, put the cheapie conditioner on and then rinse again?

This might not help you much but:

I think it does come down to the products you use, how easy the comb out will be. I like to mix several products together for my DC's and I try to stay away from 'cones as much as possible. If I'm rinsing from my wash, and the hair feels tangly, I will use a cheap conditioner such as Dove, Aussie Moist or Suave Coconut to comb through my hair while under the running water.

For now I'm a sink (hair) washer, so I go through a series of putting the hair up to rinse, then down to apply product. (I need to change this, I know) At this time if my hair still doesn't feel moisturized and pliable enough, I will pull out the heavy-duty silicone DC's such as Pantene's hair mask (R&N or the Time Renewal) or Silicone Mix. Usually around this time, I'm strongly getting ready to relax again, stetch is over, and wash day is a breeze again.

So all of that to say, I use the products the condition/state of my hair calls for. I am a reformed PJ who still has tons of products to use, and I just take my time with my hair to get it in the condition I want it to be.