Relaxed Hair Thread

Wowee!! Thats some major retention!! Nice job. You must have a killer regimen!

Thanks! It's funny you say that because I really felt like nothing had changed when I first left my stylist. Which was disappointing since this was my longest stretch. It's good to take pics esp since I had been dwelling on my setback. It helped me to see things were looking better.

I relaxed about two weeks ago at the salon, trimmed, and put in a weave install that was glued to a cap on my head. My hair was braided underneath. When I took my hair out, detangled with oil, then washed, I noticed a significant amount of hair fell out during the wash. I wonder what could of been the problem? maybe I did not detangle enough or I did not do a wash after relaxing my hair ( I waited two weeks to remove the weave)??

I have a pixie cut Im trying to grow out and I feel like the length I accumulated in two weeks are gone.... oh well back to the drawing board but I just want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again

I have been using the same relaxer. I think it is called serenity ( don't shoot me lol) but it is not BSS brand
sweetvi
It could have been two weeks worth of shed hair. When you were styling after the wash was your hair still coming out a lot?

Mande30

alot came out when I washed ( I clarified then used sulfate free shampoo), a little came out again after washing out my DC and then I tried to detangle while wet but there were some strands in my hand. so I let it airdry and then it was better . two days later my hair is good ( I combed it).

maybe it could of been shed hair but I know there was some breakage.
or I didn't detangle properly

I realize my hair does not like to be manipulated when wet, it is very fragile and cause some breakage. So im going to try to detangle before washing then again after it is airdried

@Mande30

alot came out when I washed ( I clarified then used sulfate free shampoo), a little came out again after washing out my DC and then I tried to detangle while wet but there were some strands in my hand. so I let it airdry and then it was better . two days later my hair is good ( I combed it).

maybe it could of been shed hair but I know there was some breakage.
or I didn't detangle properly

I realize my hair does not like to be manipulated when wet, it is very fragile and cause some breakage. So im going to try to detangle before washing then again after it is airdried

sweetvi I am glad it is better. I have never had a weave, but I have had braids. I would always wait at least a few weeks after a relaxer to get the braids. I was just paranoid that the hair was so fragile after the relaxing process, that I wanted to give it a chance to regroup. This is only my feeling, nothing scientific. I think that I have seen other people who get weaves or braids right after a relaxer. I am not sure how their experiece went.

Also, you may want to get a better grade relaxer. I have found that it makes a HUGE difference. How often do you relax?

You know what. When I cut my hair to pixie cut, I had to relax more often (every 4-6) due to maintaining the style. Now that I am growing my hair out, I stretched it the last time until 8 weeks. Im going to stretch it longer now.

as im writing to you, I am figure it out more lol. I think the hairstrands were too fragile after the perm for the weave from relaxing so frequently. I need to maintain the protein balance ( I did one with the 2min reconsrtuctor with the wash), and be very gentle with detangling.

Mande30

I was watching some YouTube videos because I've been feeling so blah lately about my hair. I got so inspired all over again to keep it simple and lay off the heat. I really need to start rollersetting my hair because it is a healthier alternative to blow drying and flat ironing. So after I get back from my vacation, I'm going to invest in a hooded dryer and some magnetic rollers. I'm also going to stretch my next relaxer to about 16 weeks..that will put me at relaxing the week of my 30th birthday. I'm going to keep my regimen simple and keep my hair healthy and strong:)

OMG. I finally flat ironed. I feel like a boss!!! Im also dying to wash my head because Im not used to my hair this straight, but Im fighting the urge because if I wash, I will regret it. I miss my big bun though #texlaxstruggles

OMG. I finally flat ironed. I feel like a boss!!! Im also dying to wash my head because Im not used to my hair this straight, but Im fighting the urge because if I wash, I will regret it. I miss my big bun though #texlaxstruggles

Great! Now where are the pics?! Lol!

Finally taking these plaits out. Been over a month. My hair needs some TLC.

ForumRunner_20130728_123705.jpg

I got one side done after an hour. Kept taking food breaks.

ForumRunner_20130728_123832.jpg

ForumRunner_20130728_123900.jpg

Think my detangling went well. Not too much shed. Maybe more will surface after my wash & treatment.

ForumRunner_20130728_124107.jpg

Im 18 weeks post.

Finally taking these plaits out. Been over a month. My hair needs some TLC.

I got one side done after an hour. Kept taking food breaks.

Think my detangling went well. Not too much shed. Maybe more will surface after my wash & treatment.

Im 18 weeks post.

I still want your hair. I don't care if it is hidden.

When are you going to relax?

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

I attempted to do a two strand twist along the front of my hair just for something different and I failed miserably...I'm glad I don't have any little girls...I would be screwed

^^^^^ Me too! The first blog I ever subscribed to and I am enjoying it! Can you link some YouTube videos to it so we can SEE your fabulosity in action? divachyk

@divachyk...I'm really liking your blog:yep: It's been very informative for me:grin:

^^^^^ Me too! The first blog I ever subscribed to and I am enjoying it! Can you link some YouTube videos to it so we can SEE your fabulosity in action? @divachyk

Thanks Nix08 and Jobwright. I have one solo vid posted. Click the youtube link in my siggy and it will take you to my page. I have a couple more vids recorded. I need to edit them and post. I'm so glad you all are digging my blog. You're the best!!!

Tomorrow is the first time I'm going to use aphogee 2 step treatment in preparation of my relaxer next week. I just got the sample pack just in case I didn't like it....super nervous

Tomorrow is the first time I'm going to use aphogee 2 step treatment in preparation of my relaxer next week. I just got the sample pack just in case I didn't like it....super nervous

mschristine don't be nervous. I used 2-Step for the first time in November 2012. My hair absolutely adores protein, so it was always well accepted. Follow the instructions carefully and it will be perfect.

@gbunnie

Try sleekhair.com and they have great prices...or Amazon. I'm about to order a relaxer system from Sleekhair. Nairobi brand has one as well.

Well, that's what I was coming into this thread for...trying to choose between:

Nairobi system

Design Essentials

Affirm

I have a short cut now that I'm about to change it up to shorter but will be retaining length thereafter. I can't decide on the right relaxer. Box is out, permanently. Nothing from Sally's interests me and I want a professional quality. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Prepooing my hair with castor oil before I clarify with ORS creamy aloe shampoo and do my first aphogee 2 step treatment...being extra careful, got my moisturizing DC ready for afterwards...I'll let you ladies know how it turns out

Can anyone recommend a lye relaxer for sensitive scalp? I've done a bit of research and it looks like affirm fiberguard has some good reviews but I'm not sure where I can buy it.

I'm currently using a no lye relaxer but I've heard lye is better...any thoughts are much appreciated!

I have a sensitive scalp too. I currently use linage shea butter texturizer & I luv it!! Are you looking to get ur hair bone straight or do u still want texture to it?

Back