Relaxed Hair Thread

danysedai

I had a dream last night that I went to my hairstylist(the one I had while I was still living in Cuba, he's quite scissor happy) and he hacked my hair to SL and very short in the front, like a mullet. I woke up and was so relieved to find my hair still there lol.

xu93texas

I have tried lots of different teas and garlic remedies and nothing really seems to work for me. It may be hormonal since I recently switched birth control pills...I dunno

^^That is the culprit- your birth control pills. It'll take a few cycles before your body adjusts to the different pills. In the meantime try to continue with the garlic conditioners,/tea rinses. Have you tried taking garlic pills? The coconut milk sounds interesting, and protein conditioners should help.

mshoneyfly

Nix08
Girl, I put it in my henna last week. It was THE best one ever!! And Ive done it at least 6 times without the coconut milk.

I forgot to thaw out my coconut milk ice cubes last night to pour in my tea rinse (thanks again for that awesome tip :) ). But In gonna cowash on Sunday and do it. Its such a noticeable difference in softness and strength. I gotta make it a regular part of my regimen.

AlliCat

I'm three months post tomorrow and planning to stretch for another two months (along with not using any heat and trying to use up my product stash). It would be amazing if I can make it to 6 months though. I've always wanted to try it but my longest stretch so far has been 4 months (had pretty great benefits, it got me over the NL-SL hump but I haven't attempted it again since).

Has anyone stretched 6 months? what was the experience like, and would you do it again?

Jobwright

I have...thought I would transition, then the summer and humidity hit at about 7 months...

It was not hard at first but around 6 months, I really started to get frustrated. Then I relaxed but did not know my new growth was sooooo long. So now I have bone straight hair for about 3 inches, texlaxed hair for about 3 inches and bone straight ends. I did not smooth the relaxer far enough along the length when I relaxed. Lesson learned. So be careful with a looooong stretch when you relax again to make sure you get ALL the new growth which will be probably more than you expected. That's good news though!

mamaline

I have...thought I would transition, then the summer and humidity hit at about 7 months...

It was not hard at first but around 6 months, I really started to get frustrated. Then I relaxed but did not know my new growth was sooooo long. So now I have bone straight hair for about 3 inches, texlaxed hair for about 3 inches and bone straight ends. I did not smooth the relaxer far enough along the length when I relaxed. Lesson learned. So be careful with a looooong stretch when you relax again to make sure you get ALL the new growth which will be probably more than you expected. That's good news though!

I'm dealing with that right now in the back on my head. I have bone straight roots, about 3 inches of so texlaxed hair, and then bone straight ends. I'm too scared to do a corrective though, so I've just been babying that section to prevent breakage.

Jobwright

mamaline Yeah! Mine is this way all over my head, everywhere. I will TRY to correct it next month. Been studying how to do it before a make a mistake. I'm taking my time with it so I can stay ahead and not have a huge setback!!

SunySydeofLyfe

Travelingbored.com + twist your hair and examine the ends = need a trim stop playing your making it worse holding on.

Well I'm going to trim with the next texlax. Rather cut to retain than hold on and suffer more.

Suny

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I had a dream last night that I went to my hairstylist(the one I had while I was still living in Cuba, he's quite scissor happy) and he hacked my hair to SL and very short in the front, like a mullet. I woke up and was so relieved to find my hair still there lol.

I had that haircut!!! LOL

FelaShrine

Girls and naturals like PJaye

Is SSI's Okra reconstructor consider to be a light/medium reconstructor or is stronger than that?

Since im fine haired Im thinking I should do weekly reconstructor before DCs or at leats do them more often..so Im thinking maybe I will use SSI's okra or should i just do Aphogee 2-min

TIA

JudithO

Girls and naturals like PJaye

Is SSI's Okra reconstructor consider to be a light/medium reconstructor or is stronger than that?

Since im fine haired Im thinking I should do weekly reconstructor before DCs or at leats do them more often..so Im thinking maybe I will use SSI's okra or should i just do Aphogee 2-min

TIA

Those are too strong for you.... I have very fine hair and was natural for 4 yrs.... Use a moisturizing conditioner with hydrolized protein in it like Giovanni smooth as silk or kenra mc and you'll be fine...

I have to use a moisturizing conditioner after SSI okra or aphohee 2 minute and I am now relaxed.. So yeah... Too strong....

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I have tried lots of different teas and garlic remedies and nothing really seems to work for me. It may be hormonal since I recently switched birth control pills...I dunno

When I stopped birth control I had ALOT of shedding. It stopped after a few months, but nothing stopped it right away. I hated it, but if I didn't have bald spots I just dealt with it. I also had my thyroid med lowered at the same time, so it was double whammy. Like, I was crying in the mirror and had to even call a doctor. I stopped birth control in sept 12 then had my thyroid med lowered in dec12 and by January 13 the shedding decreased. It gets better, but you just have to give it time. I realized nothing I did stopped the shedding til the hormones balanced. I still did rinses and garlic, but nothin helped more than time.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

PJaye

Girls and naturals like @PJaye

TIA

FelaShrine

Given its ingredients, I would classify it as being on the lighter end of the spectrum. The Aphogee was a longtime staple for me until I replaced it with the SSI and Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner (both have great ingredients and an incredible amount of slip).

Be careful with the weekly treatments because they have a tendency to facilitate protein overload.:yep:

FelaShrine

Thanks PJaye

I was reading a couple of finehaired people talking about how a mild reconstructor is best with every DC for that kind of hair but I guess I will scale back to maybe twice a month instead

Despite the slip I take it you still use a moisturizing DC after using the okra? or no?

PJaye

Thanks @PJaye

I was reading a couple of finehaired people talking about how a mild reconstructor is best with every DC for that kind of hair but I guess I will scale back to maybe twice a month instead

Despite the slip I take it you still use a moisturizing DC after using the okra? or no?

FelaShrine

You are quite welcome. I'm protein sensitive, so stuff like AVJ, SAA, wheat germ, coconut and avocado will push me into overload. If your hair can handle frequent doses of protein, I say go for it.

I always use a moisturizing DC after a protein treatment because they contain EOs and other additives I need.

FelaShrine

PJaye forgive my stalking :lol: but have you tried SSI Coco Cream and if so what did you think

I tried it today and personally im inbetween hit and miss. My hair looked so shiny and lovbely when added but after they (salon) took the rollers out, it looked abit dry and after wrapping it still feels abit dry in the back :/ and Im only 3 weeks post..

:think: Im thinking what I saw befoire rollerset was the effects of the avocodo conditioner. Now that's amazing! People have mentioned that there's a high glycerin in the coco-cream..maybe my hair hates that though people usually hjave issues with glycerin in the winter and it literally has been hot as hell here..

Last edited:

PJaye

@PJaye forgive my stalking :lol: but have you tried SSI Coco Cream and if so what did you think

I tried it today and personally im inbetween hit and miss. My hair looked so shiny and lovbely when added but after they (salon) took the rollers out, it looked abit dry and after wrapping it still feels abit dry in the back :/ and Im only 3 weeks post..

:think: Im thinking what I saw befoire rollerset was the effects of the avocodo conditioner. Now that's amazing! People have mentioned that there's a high glycerin in the coco-cream..maybe my hair hates that though people usually hjave issues with glycerin in the winter and it literally has been hot as hell here..

FelaShrine

:lol: @ stalking. You're just asking questions and getting some feedback. That's what I'm here for, and I'm glad that I could be of some assistance.

Yeah, that Avocado Conditioner is the joint! However, my hair did not like the Coco Cream Leave in at all. The coconut cream, sea kelp, fennel and silk it contains are all proteins/hidden proteins/stuff that behaves like a protein. Although it felt silky smooth while applying, it turned my hair into dull, dry straw once it had fully dried. Plus, it contains shea butter, which my hair also hates. My advice would be to use it during those times when your hair will benefit from a little protein kick. IMO, It seems as if the Avocado Conditioner gave you a needed kick with its avocado, aloe and coconut, but the Coco Cream kicked it a bit too far on the protein side of the equation. Just keep your moisture game tight for a week or so until things calm down and balances out.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
:lol: Saludable84, cute.

JudithO, I'm not fine haired but I'm low porosity, protein sensitive and products with hydrolized wheat protein gives me enough protein to feel like I've received a protein treatment. Kenra MC is an excellent product for this purpose. This HHJ can be so confusing at times.

PJaye, I can't use AVJ is large amounts but AVG works great on my edges & nape for sleeking & slicking. I love wheat germ, coconut & avocado. Amazing how two protein sensitive heads tolerate different products.

PJaye

:lol: @Saludable84, cute.

@JudithO, I'm not fine haired but I'm low porosity, protein sensitive and products with hydrolized wheat protein gives me enough protein to feel like I've received a protein treatment. Kenra MC is an excellent product for this purpose. This HHJ can be so confusing at times.

@PJaye, I can't use AVJ is large amounts but AVG works great on my edges & nape for sleeking & slicking. I love wheat germ, coconut & avocado. Amazing how two protein sensitive heads tolerate different products.

divachyk

I know right. I can tolerate AVJ, coconut and avocado as long as they're a part of a non-protein rich, creamy conditioner. My hair doesn't take AVG, soy and wheat germ very well in any state. With SAA, it's touch and go; I mainly use it as additional protection when straightening. Don't get me started on those ayurvedic herbs.:lol:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@divachyk

I know right. I can tolerate AVJ, coconut and avocado as long as they're a part of a non-protein rich, creamy conditioner. My hair doesn't take AVG, soy and wheat germ very well in any state. With SAA, it's touch and go; I mainly use it as additional protection when straightening. Don't get me started on those ayurvedic herbs.:lol:

@PJaye, so what's the deal with ayervedic herbs? I haven't used any although I have some in my stash. Which ones have you tried?

FelaShrine

Im trying to figure out how to use the Seyani butter. I usually use Transitioning Cream to moisturize. I tried the SSI Carrot defrizzer..that was really nice. Somehow I lost it, gonna find the time to do a search cos I really liked it. anyway maybe i will use the seyani to seal after the DB cream..iono..

Here to help

Yeah, that Avocado Conditioner is the joint! However, my hair did not like the Coco Cream Leave in at all. The coconut cream, sea kelp, fennel and silk it contains are all proteins/hidden proteins/stuff that behaves like a protein. Although it felt silky smooth while applying, it turned my hair into dull, dry straw once it had fully dried. Plus, it contains shea butter, which my hair also hates. My advice would be to use it during those times when your hair will benefit from a little protein kick. IMO, It seems as if the Avocado Conditioner gave you a needed kick with its avocado, aloe and coconut, but the Coco Cream kicked it a bit too far on the protein side of the equation. Just keep your moisture game tight for a week or so until things calm down and balances out.[/FONT][/COLOR]
You're very sweet. Thanks

yea that's exactly what happened. Im thinking of getting & trying KBB's Super Silky as a leave-in since that has gotten great reviews..or I could stop being such a PJ and stay with DB's leave-in..lol (err suggest other ones you like please :look: ) :lol:

mschristine

I'm thinking about switching relaxers and going back to lye but since I've only done lye at the salon I'm kind of scared of doing it by myself. When I look back at pics of my hair, it just seemed to do better with a lye relaxer...I dunno what I'm going to do

mshoneyfly

I'm thinking about switching relaxers and going back to lye but since I've only done lye at the salon I'm kind of scared of doing it by myself. When I look back at pics of my hair, it just seemed to do better with a lye relaxer...I dunno what I'm going to do

mschristine
Jeni from just grow already has a great blog with uber details on her relaxer process. Her YT channel has vids of the process too. She is WL and uses lye

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

mschristine
Jeni from just grow already has a great blog with uber details on her relaxer process. Her YT channel has vids of the process too. She is WL and uses lye

I was just going to say this. Im serious!!!!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

You'd definitely do better with Lye. I started using Lye and I can see the shine on about 4 inches of my hair compared to the rest of my hair which has shine, but is a bit dull. It will be about 5-6 years before my hair is completely Lye relaxed. My hair isn't bad at all, especially since I took care of it well with no-lye, but the lye just works better.

Its not too bad relaxing your hair yourself with lye, but you have to have the hair already prepared with lye as it can cause burns; regardless to how mild it is. Using the half and half methods works really well and allows for easier application.

PJaye

@PJaye, so what's the deal with ayervedic herbs? I haven't used any although I have some in my stash. Which ones have you tried?

divachyk

Nothing much, just that my hair seems to have a problem with most of 'em. I will get either unnecessary dryness (amla, neem, shikakai) or protein overload (fenugreek and mucilage-laden herbs), which I can certainly do without. The only herbs I can use regularly with no issues are rosemary, sage, nettle, horsetail and licorice root.

Im trying to figure out how to use the Seyani butter. I usually use Transitioning Cream to moisturize. I tried the SSI Carrot defrizzer..that was really nice. Somehow I lost it, gonna find the time to do a search cos I really liked it. anyway maybe i will use the seyani to seal after the DB cream..iono..

You're very sweet. Thanks

yea that's exactly what happened. Im thinking of getting & trying KBB's Super Silky as a leave-in since that has gotten great reviews..or I could stop being such a PJ and stay with DB's leave-in..lol (err suggest other ones you like please :look: ) :lol:

FelaShrine

I use the Seyani Butter as a body cream. However, I believe that it would make a nice sealant given its light and fluffy consistency. If you can't find a way to integrate it into your routine now, you can always save it and reintroduce it during the colder months when a heavier sealant might prove beneficial.

The DB Leave-in and Transitioning Creme are staples for me; I cannot do without them. IMO, no other leave-in or creamy refresher can top those two products. The only other recommendation I can confidently proffer is the SSI Pomegranate Curl Quenching Conditioner. Unlike the Coco Cream, it provides long-lasting, silky, smooth moisture and softness. I absolutely love it.

And, I see what you did there...:lol: