Relaxed Hair Thread

bebezazueta

Raspberry I want to see!

For straight hair maintenance besides a wrap you can do a large loose bun or large pin curls to give it a bump or slight wave. HTH!

VictoriaRaquel

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

Hello ladies,

I was so excited to go to a meetup but when I went to RSVP, I noticed it was for naturals only and they welcomed transitioners too. Yes it's a LHCF new orleans meet up. Oh well, i just want to connect with some local LHCF ladies.

Any texlaxed/relaxed ladies living in Louisiana up in here? LOL!

I'm relaxed and living in New Orleans! HEY GIRL! :weird:

If there are any other relaxed Louisiana ladies on LHCF, I would love for all of us to crash this "Naturals Only" New Orleans Meet Up. I can't understand why some people feel the need to be so divisive. It just seems so silly, especially when we all have the same goal of growing and maintaining a long, thick, and healthy head of hair!

Raspberry

For straight hair maintenance besides a wrap you can do a large loose bun or large pin curls to give it a bump or slight wave. HTH!

Thanks bebezazueta :) The bun worked out well, I need to tweak my method a bit cause one side of my hair came out smoother than the other but it was a win overall...

Magnolia85

I think its time for a relaxer change. Im not getting the same results from the ORS relaxer like I use too. Im looking at Mizani butter blends but not sure what all to buy with it or can it be used by itself? help me please

VirGoViXxEn

@Magnolia85 i been using mizani bb lye for my past 3 relaxers and I luv it! I do not neutralize or dc with any of the mizani products and it works for me just fine. I grease my scalp with a base creme from the bss, rinse relaxer out thoroughly, aphogee2 min, neutralize with something from the bss, clarify and deep condition with whats in my stash. Great results every time. I use the regular and since i want a textured look i add 1/2 cuip of evoo!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"

I created a thread on this when I could have just posted here:

What are you guys using to moisturize your ends? I'm a 4b relaxed head, but my strands are still thick-ish and prone to dryness... I used to use the original Hairveda whipped ends before the formula change...then QP Mango Butter before that changed too. Has anyone used those and moved on to something better?

Raspberry

What are you guys using to moisturize your ends? I'm a 4b relaxed head, but my strands are still thick-ish and prone to dryness... I used to use the original Hairveda whipped ends before the formula change...then QP Mango Butter before that changed too. Has anyone used those and moved on to something better?

keyawarren I'm still figuring out dry ends myself but I'm finding that straight up oil works better to moisturize than cream leave-ins on mine. I usually dampen my hands with water, poor a little Hot Six Oil in my hands and rub them on my ends before bed. This helps but I"m wondering if there's some additional DC type stuff I could do just for my ends.

hothair

Killer formula for my ends, Giovanni direct (rubbed btw the palms) and sealed with a lil castor oil or almond oil - do it at night and bun it till morning.

Peeking in to see what you guys are up to - My hair's growing like crazy I think I have 3 months growth in 8 weeks, struggling to maintain my stretch already so putting some extensions in for a change.

Magnolia85

@Magnolia85 i been using mizani bb lye for my past 3 relaxers and I luv it! I do not neutralize or dc with any of the mizani products and it works for me just fine. I grease my scalp with a base creme from the bss, rinse relaxer out thoroughly, aphogee2 min, neutralize with something from the bss, clarify and deep condition with whats in my stash. Great results every time. I use the regular and since i want a textured look i add 1/2 cuip of evoo!
Thank you very much for your response!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"

keyawarren I'm still figuring out dry ends myself but I'm finding that straight up oil works better to moisturize than cream leave-ins on mine. I usually dampen my hands with water, poor a little Hot Six Oil in my hands and rub them on my ends before bed. This helps but I"m wondering if there's some additional DC type stuff I could do just for my ends.

I've used my castor oil mix and it works a little. What works best so far is a moisturizer under the oils. Maybe I should try water too? Does it ever cause reversion?

sunnieb

keyawarren - My hair is naturally dry from root to end. It's been like that even before I was relaxed.

What works to keep my ends moisturized is: Bunning 5x a week, cowashing 2-3x a week and moisturizing 2x a day.

I moisturize in the morning using ORS Carrot Oil first, then NTM Silk Touch. I do the same process at night but I follow with an oil (castor oil or EVCO) and bun for the night.

blackberry815

What protein treatments are you ladies using to stop breakage immediately? Which ones do you love and which ones do you hate?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Raspberry

I'm really appreciating the effects of ceramides on my hair, especially the ends. I've been using Matrix Biolage Fortifying Leave-in, which is chock full of concentrated synthetic ceramides (much more concentrated then natural ceramide oils). It doesn't do much as far as detangling and my hair doesn't feel immediately moisturized after use but where I see the benefits is in the strength and elasticity of my hair, even the dryer ends... so even if my ends feel dry at times they're still strong and don't break off with combing and can withstand moderate manipulation. According to the research, ceramides benefit processed/relaxed hair the most...

I was using Hot 6 Oil to seal at night, which also has some natural ceramide oils in it but I"m going to switch to Supergirl's Silk Dreams Nourish Oil since I just got my bundle in the mail :cool::love5:. Nourish Oil has some ceramide oils in it too, as well as avacado oil.. a new one for me.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

wow i took down my wrap from my rollerset and my hair is so thick looking. i dont think ive had much nice looking hair ever. im really glad i relaxed. my hair looks better and feel better then it did when i was using Natural and using Direct heat

this is when i bktd earlier in the year

and this is after my rollerset+wrap with ZERO direct heat

my hair isnt perfectly straight but i need to learn how to wrap better LOL

Raspberry

@Napp your hair looks nice and healthy :yep: Your hair is straight enough, no need to worry IMO... plus getting the perfect wrap can be a lot of manipulation.

It's difficult to have pin straight hair without direct heat.. I don't plan on using direct heat anytime soon, so I've embraced the wavy look on my hair or curly/wavy ends... looks more bodified.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

@Napp your hair looks nice and healthy :yep: Your hair is straight enough, no need to worry IMO... plus getting the perfect wrap can be a lot of manipulation.

It's difficult to have pin straight hair without direct heat.. I don't plan on using direct heat anytime soon, so I've embraced the wavy look on my hair or curly/wavy ends... looks more bodified.

its ok for now but i wish i could get my hair a little smoother... i think i will be doing a corrective next relaxer. my hair still has way too much texture and feels semi natural:nono:

thanks for the compliments! i see myself staying on team relaxed for quite some time:yep:

Raspberry

Ok, so my bantu knot set with foam wrap lotion was a fail...came out poofy and weird looking, not even shiny.

Has anyone done a successful wet wrap without heat? I would like to try it after a wash..t-shirt dry for a bit, then wrap. I do have a hooded dryer but it's old and kinda cheap, I feel like I need to upgrade to something better.. or a bonnet dryer.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

Napp - looking good.
Raspberry - may I ask, why use foam? Not meaning to talk you out of your product choice but perhaps using a thick leave-in (LI) might help form your bantu-knot. I use foam to roller set but wouldn't necessarily use it for a bantu knot. Do you have a good, thick LI?

Raspberry

@Napp - looking good.
@Raspberry - may I ask, why use foam? Not meaning to talk you out of your product choice but perhaps using a thick leave-in (LI) might help form your bantu-knot. I use foam to roller set but wouldn't necessarily use it for a bantu knot. Do you have a good, thick LI?
divachyk I usually use a thick leave-in but I had the foam sitting there and decided to experiment, bad idea as it turns out :lol:

divachyk

Raspberry - I knotted my hair several times with success and only used a LI, a little bit of oil and then knotted hair. Maybe someone can chime in who pulled off the foam with success.

Raspberry

@Raspberry - I knotted my hair several times with success and only used a LI, a little bit of oil and then knotted hair. Maybe someone can chime in who pulled off the foam with success.

Nah, I've learned my lesson lol.. but it did get me thinking about the best way to wrap my hair. Is it worth doing with a lot of new growth or should I only wrap within a few weeks of a TU?

divachyk

@Raspberry, are you referring to traditional wrapping?

I use to wrap religiously prior to LHCF. My edges on my right side thinned a little and I attribute it to years of wrapping and being a right side sleeper. Now I only wrap when roller setting for the saran wrap treatment**. If I want to wrap my hair at night for sleek next day hair, I cross wrap the hair.

**Even when doing the saran treatment, I let my ng do to the talking. I will wrap the hair as long as my ng allows me to navigate through it. I find that I can no longer wrap the hair for the saran wrap treatment when I'm 9-12 weeks post. So, I'll roller set and just let the curls fall without wrapping the hair for the saran wrap treatment.

Does that help? If not, get back at me.