Relaxed Hair Thread

Raspberry

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

@Raspberry, are you referring to traditional wrapping?

I use to wrap religiously prior to LHCF. My edges on my right side thinned a little and I attribute it to years of wrapping and being a right side sleeper. Now I only wrap when roller setting for the saran wrap treatment**. If I want to wrap my hair at night for sleek next day hair, I cross wrap the hair.

**Even when doing the saran treatment, I let my ng do to the talking. I will wrap the hair as long as my ng allows me to navigate through it. I find that I can no longer wrap the hair for the saran wrap treatment when I'm 9-12 weeks post. So, I'll roller set and just let the curls fall without wrapping the hair for the saran wrap treatment.

Does that help? If not, get back at me.

Thanks divachyk this helps :yep:. I'm not relaxed bone straight so it's not as easy for me to get sleek hair after a braid-out or whatever so I'm experimenting with different techniques. I haven't tried cross-wrapping yet but I will.

As my stretch progresses I might try working with my braid-outs over a few days by pineappleing at night, updos, etc. Then it'll be time to wash again I guess..

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

Raspberry - check out this vid. I learned a thing or two on cross wrapping. I simply part my hair down the middle and swoop the hair around the back (left side swooped to the right and the right side swooped to the left). I will try her method out and see what I get.

carletta

I have one question...................do any of you ladies use a reconstructor after rinsing out your relaxer ??? or can you do that ?...............

Raspberry

@Raspberry - check out this vid. I learned a thing or two on cross wrapping. I simply part my hair down the middle and swoop the hair around the back (left side swooped to the right and the right side swooped to the left). I will try her method out and see what I get.

Good vid.. my stylist also puts rollers in the crown for a wrap. I think it gives more body and for a DYI'er it may prevent the need to do as much brushing...

Raspberry

K.. so I'm learning I need to be more heavy-handed when applying products. I'm so used to being sparing and wanting to avoid a greasy look but my relaxed hair sucks up the moisture so no need to be stingy. Plus my knot-outs/braid-outs, etc come out better when set with more product.

I'm no good at layering products.. now I just spritz and dip various leave-ins and mix them all together in my hands and apply, and use Ion Silk Drops last as a shine serum.. seems to be working out :giggle:

Air drying with a simple bun has been working out well.. I'm soo happy that I'm finding a simple routine :grin:

bebezazueta

carletta after rinsing out my relaxer I do a "neutralizing protein step". It has polypeptide proteins, orange oil and a ph of 5.5. I don't rinse it out I just add the neutralizing shampoo on top because the instructions say so. This treatment is part of a relaxer system by this local hair dresser.

To answer your question some use aphoghee 2 min or joico k pak as a mid step light protein treatment right before neutralizing.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sunnieb

For the first time in years, I went a week without deep conditioning. My schedule was so busy, that I just didn't have time.

I cowashed 4x though and my hair loved it. I may think about doing this again on purpose and see how my hair responds.

I'm under the dryer now doing a moisturizing dc. I also clarified to get rid of all of the buildup from cowashing only last week.

janeemat

I flat ironed my hair on Sat at 6 weeks post. I have the shine and the swing, but notice that it tangles. I can comb through it with my big shower comb or a mason pearson detangler comb but it tangles again. Could this be from it hanging and rubbing against me or is it because it is stick straight? I don't like using a comb because then some is going to pop off from combing. Anyone notice this when wearing your hair staight from being flat ironed? I asked this in a separate thread, but I may get more answers here.

blackberry815

I flat ironed my hair on Sat at 6 weeks post. I have the shine and the swing, but notice that it tangles. I can comb through it with my big shower comb or a mason pearson detangler comb but it tangles again. Could this be from it hanging and rubbing against me or is it because it is stick straight? I don't like using a comb because then some is going to pop off from combing. Anyone notice this when wearing your hair staight from being flat ironed? I asked this in a separate thread, but I may get more answers here.

Maybe u need a trim?

hothair

If your hair is tangling at 6 weeks you either need a trim or a treatment to lay down your cuticles.

bebezazueta

janeemat I agree with the other ladies. If you shampooed with a product with a high ph which lifts the cuticles then you need a product such as roux porosity control conditioner or AVJ to lower the ph and seal the cuticle. If this doesn't work then I would trim. HTH!

janeemat

@janeemat I agree with the other ladies. If you shampooed with a product with a high ph which lifts the cuticles then you need a product such as roux porosity control conditioner or AVJ to lower the ph and seal the cuticle. If this doesn't work then I would trim. HTH!

I did a semi permanent rinse on Sat and used the Roux before I put the rinse on. After that I did a light poo followed by Joico Kpac (5min) and then the Kpac hydrating cond. Did I use the Roux in the wrong order. I had a 2 inch trim in April and 1 inch July 1st.

janeemat

@janeemat I do roux porosity control or a ACV rinse as my last step.

Maybe this is where I went wrong. Or am I over reacting to think that since my hair is flat ironed I should be able to run a comb through it without it getting tangled. I guess I will do a little dusting tonight.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi

I'm experimenting with buns. What product/technique are you all using to get your hair to lay flat/slick/sleek?

yora88

I have fallen back in love with pantene relaxed and natural oil moisturizer. I've been using it lately since I've washed my hair with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition products and my hair is shiny and not weighed down.

Raspberry

For ladies who self-trim, what is your technique? Tips for trimming evenly? I really need to get rid of these bushy ends.. no amount of pampering is going to make them healthier. I don't want to wait until my next salon visit so I'm down for doing it myself.

crlsweetie912

I'm experimenting with buns. What product/technique are you all using to get your hair to lay flat/slick/sleek?
I swear by Hairveda whipped gelly. I wash deep condition weekly, when I'm bunning I add a generous amount to my edges, and comb/brush it a bit to get it smooth and secure with my pony holder. I tie down with a scarf till dry the next morning. I add a bit of cocasta oil (also HV) and my buns last ALL WEEK! At night all I have to do is add a bit more oil (I spray my ends with hairveda hydra silica spray) and this regimen has helped my hair so much!!! I think I have been using whipped gelly since HV first came out...HTH.
Right now I have been bunning since last week, usually I shampoo on Saturday's but I was too tired and skipped this past Saturday, and my hair still looks GREAT! I can comb through it and it's still soft, not hard or sticky!

AryaStarr258

For ladies who self-trim, what is your technique? Tips for trimming evenly? I really need to get rid of these bushy ends.. no amount of pampering is going to make them healthier. I don't want to wait until my next salon visit so I'm down for doing it myself.

My technique is the age-old search and destroy method. I take a section of hair, look at the ends, then snip the ones that are split or damaged. That's about it. As for trimming evenly, I don't even worry about that. I'm more concerned about the health of my hair than how even it is. 'Course I'm not running around half-EL, half-CBL. I trim within reason.

Raspberry

My technique is the age-old search and destroy method. I take a section of hair, look at the ends, then snip the ones that are split or damaged. That's about it. As for trimming evenly, I don't even worry about that. I'm more concerned about the health of my hair than how even it is. 'Course I'm not running around half-EL, half-CBL. I trim within reason.

Thanks AryaStarr258! You're right, I shouldn't worry about evenness so much, plus I don't wear my hair bone straight anyways.

I need to cut about an inch off.. I'm actually surprised my stylist didn't trim them but I shouldn't complain about a stylist not being scissor happy :giggle:

mywill33

argh!!!!!!!!! ladies I am having hair issues! Last did the vatika oil on my hair then went to the gym...came home washed it with my joico k pak shampoo then did thr k pak intensive treatment then topped it off with the k pak conditioner...WHY WHY WHY my hair was rough! But I did it b/c i felt like and saw my hair breaking an inch from the bottom...i have co washed this week and moisturized oiled but still some breaking...on top of all this i think my hair has hit a slump in growth...i am using a mega tek mix...any advice for me...sorry for the rant

RoundEyedGirl504

argh!!!!!!!!! ladies I am having hair issues! Last did the vatika oil on my hair then went to the gym...came home washed it with my joico k pak shampoo then did thr k pak intensive treatment then topped it off with the k pak conditioner...WHY WHY WHY my hair was rough! But I did it b/c i felt like and saw my hair breaking an inch from the bottom...i have co washed this week and moisturized oiled but still some breaking...on top of all this i think my hair has hit a slump in growth...i am using a mega tek mix...any advice for me...sorry for the rant

I think if you did the Kpak shampoo and intensive treatment you should have followed with a moisturizing conditioner, sounds like you used a lot of protein.

kupenda

Yay!! I'm getting my first trim in the next two weeks! I'm scared lol

MsDee14

mywill33
I agree with RoundEyedGirl504
I'm not familiar with Joico K Pak , but I just took a look at the ingredients in the conditioner and it looks to be a light protein conditioner.
Mega-Tek is also protein. Maybe you should incorporate more moisturizing products in your regimen.

Raspberry

I'm at the 6 week mark.. time to start using these stretching techniques I've been reading about. First up tomorrow is to apply my conditioner like a relaxer.. that's a lot of condish to go through but that just means I'll have an excuse to buy more lol. I'm gonna use GVP Conditioning Balm (Matrix).

What cheapish conditioners do you all recommend if you need to use a lot of it? Less than $6...

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.

I always use good condish when i apply relaxer style, but I'm a newbie and don't know any better!

bebezazueta

Raspberry hey girl! I mix the Cheapies with oils and a little of the good stuff. I use the cheapie as a base. My fav cheapies are V05 moisture milks ($1), suave coconut ($1), Aussie 3 min miracle ($3). Then I add a ceramides oil and a couple of tablespoons of my "good" condish and mix up in a color applicator bowl and apply like a relaxer with an applicator brush. HTH!

Oh the ceramides oil I use is sunflower oil. They sell it at the dollar store.

Raspberry

I always use good condish when i apply relaxer style, but I'm a newbie and don't know any better!
Queenmickie lol I bet your hair thanked you for it though... If wanted to go all out I'd use Kerastase products for everything.. including co-washes :lol:

@Raspberry hey girl! I mix the Cheapies with oils and a little of the good stuff. I use the cheapie as a base. My fav cheapies are V05 moisture milks ($1), suave coconut ($1), Aussie 3 min miracle ($3). Then I add a ceramides oil and a couple of tablespoons of my "good" condish and mix up in a color applicator bowl and apply like a relaxer with an applicator brush. HTH!

Oh the ceramides oil I use is sunflower oil. They sell it at the dollar store.

Thanks bebezazueta that's a great idea :yep:, I'll pick up some "supplies" tomorrow.. it's cool that a little oil goes a long way.