Relaxed Hair Thread

ChannieBoo3

Remind me not to self relax ever again lol . I am no good trying to relax my own hair .. And though it came out straight it was kind of .... Hard

KhandiB

Nothing really, I colored my hair last summer .. but the spongy texture didnt rear its ugly head until around winter.

Granted I havent been taking care of my hair like I should, but Ive never had this happen before.

emada

KhandiB

When my hair looked and felt spongy it was from bad heat damage. What else has changed recently?

Babygrowth

Nothing really, I colored my hair last summer .. but the spongy texture didnt rear its ugly head until around winter.

When I colored my hair this is exactly what happened to me. The porosity changed to high instead of normal. What helped/helps me are henna gloss treatments, lt protein every wash and frequent m/s heavy sealing. Sometimes I had to do it every day but now every other day is fine. I kept it under wigs or in braids alot but if I was rollersetting than the indirect heat would've helped protect and smooth my hair as well as keep moisture in.

emada

Granted I havent been taking care of my hair like I should, but Ive never had this happen before.

emada

Interesting, I suppose I would hit it with lots of protein followed by a good moisturizing DC and see how that works :yep:

kandegirl

Here's my contribution to the thread...

I relaxed a week ago with Nairobi Senstive Relaxer . I always use two b/c I stretch my relaxers and I mixed in some stuff from Sally's that keeps relaxers, perms, etc from burning. My head has gotten super senstive over the years after I started only doing 2-3 relaxers a year.

I like my results. My texture is 4a-b. It's veryyyy coarse and these shots are after wet wrapping my hair, drying then flat ironing.

I used all Nairobi products except my shampoos. I'm pleased with the results.
Now I've got to work on the sparse areas of my hair I'm noticing. About to start trying tea rinses, then it's back up in a weave or braids (so I can tea rinse and use caffiene in my conditoner to treat my scalp).

I think I can claim APL, which was my Dec goal, but maybe after another inch.:yep:

Attachments

• May 2014 update.jpg
    May 2014 update.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 150
  • May 2014 update 2 .jpg
    May 2014 update 2 .jpg
    264 KB · Views: 164

Destiny9109

I'm bone straight & I'm said. My hair doesn't like it at all. I did a Design Essentials reconstructive treatment 3 weeks in a row after my relaxer. It did strengthen my hair up to the point that it's breaking less & shedding less but it's soooo fragile.

I feel like I have an entire head of hair that's useless & that I'm definitely going to have to keep cutting this bone straight hair until it's gone. Then I'm scared if I start texlaxing now, my texlaxed hair is going to be too strong for the bone straight ends & that'll mean more damage.

LE SIGH...

I've never used the Design Essentials reconstructor, but the Joico k-pak reconstructor is the best I've ever used. It will make your hair stronger and thicker.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Here's my contribution to the thread... I relaxed a week ago with Nairobi Senstive Relaxer . I always use two b/c I stretch my relaxers and I mixed in some stuff from Sally's that keeps relaxers, perms, etc from burning. My head has gotten super senstive over the years after I started only doing 2-3 relaxers a year. I like my results. My texture is 4a-b. It's veryyyy coarse and these shots are after wet wrapping my hair, drying then flat ironing. I used all Nairobi products except my shampoos. I'm pleased with the results. Now I've got to work on the sparse areas of my hair I'm noticing. About to start trying tea rinses, then it's back up in a weave or braids (so I can tea rinse and use caffiene in my conditoner to treat my scalp). I think I can claim APL, which was my Dec goal, but maybe after another inch.:yep:

Your results came out very nice.

KhandiB

Thanks!!! emada and Babygrowth

I was fortunate to get this for my birthday , which came with an awesome 6 in 1 reconstructor, which I love, but will switch when I run out because its hard to get and switch back to the Ion shown below :grin:

and right before then, stocked up on this :grin:

Which is terrible, I have the tools, but my hair trippin, lol or is it me ? :lol:

NGraceO

Progress shot. Sloooowly but surely. 'Cuse the jelly rolls. At the gym working on it now :lol:

ETA: considering transitioning. And/or stretching till December. Well see.

Attachments

• image-3673590107.jpg
    image-3673590107.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 81

KhandiB

I did a Bantu Know Set last night, all in all I think it looks pretty good.. I dont like the part in the middle so I will do it different next time, but I like how it turned out :grin:

Attachments

• Bantu1.jpg
    Bantu1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 53
  • bantu2.jpg
    bantu2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 56
  • bantu3.jpg
    bantu3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 57
  • bantu4.jpg
    bantu4.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 55

naija24

Are there any relaxed heads who cowash daily? I read somewhere that is strategy of helping relaxed hair is treating it like natural hair?

NGraceO

Are there any relaxed heads who cowash daily? I read somewhere that is strategy of helping relaxed hair is treating it like natural hair?

Oh hell no. Lol

I did that last summer, and although the extra moisture was nice, that much manipulation, to me, is too much for me whether relaxed or natural

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
My hair retains so much more moisture when I heat style on wash day. Air dried hair gets very dry and crunchy throughout the week. I will TRY my best to heat style weekly from here on out. If I skip a week, I will make sure I go back to heat styled hair the following week. I'm thinking ponytail roller sets, flexi rod sets, etc.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
My hair retains so much more moisture when I heat style on wash day. Air dried hair gets very dry and crunchy throughout the week. I will TRY my best to heat style weekly from here on out. If I skip a week, I will make sure I go back to heat styled hair the following week. I'm thinking ponytail roller sets, flexi rod sets, etc.

Woman, where have you been????

EnExitStageLeft

Hey Ladies!

Can anyone rec. me a quality detangling Shampoo? I recently moved to a sink only wash regi and need something more detangling, so that I may finger detangle a bit more easily. Plus I'm over the Go Moist by SD's. I seriously hate the new consistency.

divachyk

Woman, where have you been????
Saludable84

:lol: well, see what had happen was.... :giggle:

I always knew my hair did better with heat styled hair but roller setting weekly was just team too much. It's a lot of combing and smoothing required that I don't feel up to doing. I really like how easy the flexi rod set was and it's way, way, WAY less manipulation. I'm definitely gonna be wearing that option out!!

divachyk

EnExitStageLeft, I like Bee Mine Botanicals. It's moisturizing although I'm unsure how I'd rate it for detangling. The best detangling shampoo I've used is hit or miss -- CON Argan. It feels so lovely when using it but it seems to deposit buildup on my hair. I just think the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

xu93texas

Hey Ladies! Can anyone rec. me a quality detangling Shampoo? I recently moved to a sink only wash regi and need something more detangling, so that I may finger detangle a bit more easily. Plus I'm over the Go Moist by SD's. I seriously hate the new consistency.

KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo.

NGraceO

This past week, I was seriously considering stretching until December and possibly transitioning.

After making a long, exhaustive texlaxed hair vs. chemical free hair pros and cons list, I have concluded that I am staying texlaxed.....I literally only had 3 things on the chemical free "pros" list.

I love my textured, chemically processed hair! This is literally the closest Ive ever felt to mastering my hair in the six years that I've been on a hair journey (five of which were spent natural. :lol: )

What I learned: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

greenandchic

This past week, I was seriously considering stretching until December and possibly transitioning.

After making a long, exhaustive texlaxed hair vs. chemical free hair pros and cons list, I have concluded that I am staying texlaxed.....I literally only had 3 things on the chemical free "pros" list.

I love my textured, chemically processed hair! This is literally the closest Ive ever felt to mastering my hair in the six years that I've been on a hair journey (five of which were spent natural. :lol: )

What I learned: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know what you mean. I wonder what in the heck took me so long to finally chemically treat my hair.:lol: I spend so much less time on my hair now. I do more to care for it but it takes less time and I'm retaining much better.