Relaxed Hair Thread

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Babygrowth, YW I love, love, love HV Amala Cream. It cleans the hair but doesn't clean it like shampoo. Komaza suggested relaxed hair use sulfate shampoo weekly. I'm not quite there yet. My hair is picky about shampoo so right now, what I have in rotation is....

Week 1: Redken - clarify / chelate; use it once a month
Week 2: CON Argan
Week 3: Bee Mine Botanical
Week 4: CON Argan

I shampoo once a week and co-cleanse with Amala if I wash mid-week. I will say, now that I'm shampooing more and co-cleansing less, my hair is doing better. I'm not dealing with buildup.

How much Redken did you use? It only takes a small amount. It's easy to get a little carried away with it because it's creamy. I did that a time or two and noticed a cleansing difference. My hair didn't feel stripped but it was deeply cleansed.

I tried something different this past wash and it worked great...I applied shampoo to dry hair and it was far less stripping, yet cleansing. I did this with Redken.

Evolving78

Babygrowth, YW I love, love, love HV Amala Cream. It cleans the hair but doesn't clean it like shampoo. Komaza suggested relaxed hair use sulfate shampoo weekly. I'm not quite there yet. My hair is picky about shampoo so right now, what I have in rotation is.... Week 1: Redken - clarify / chelate; use it once a month Week 2: CON Argan Week 3: Bee Mine Botanical Week 4: CON Argan I shampoo once a week and co-cleanse with Amala if I wash mid-week. I will say, now that I'm shampooing more and co-cleansing less, my hair is doing better. I'm not dealing with buildup. How much Redken did you use? It only takes a small amount. It's easy to get a little carried away with it because it's creamy. I did that a time or two and noticed a cleansing difference. My hair didn't feel stripped but it was deeply cleansed. I tried something different this past wash and it worked great...I applied shampoo to dry hair and it was far less stripping, yet cleansing. I did this with Redken.
I love shampoo, sulfate shampoo.

Babygrowth

divachyk I probably did use a tad bit too much. What I like to do normally is:
Week 1- clarify with Elucence
Week 2- ACR
Week 3- Go Moist shampoo
Week 4- cowash

I have strayed from that because of protective styling but I'm getting back there. I will also deep co wash mid week if I feel I need it. I read your series and that's what made me use the shampoo but my hair is high porosity and it absorbs everything so I'm always putting moisture back in it. I loved Elasta QP creme shampoo until they changed it.

divachyk

shortdub78, which shampoo is your fav?

Babygrowth, keep with your norm as best as you can. You've done great this far with that regi. I see no need to change it. Great job, chica.

Last edited:

PerFicMsFit

PerFicMsFit
We love hearing from anyone. I like Pureology for my leave in when heat styling. I may try their shampoo. Maybe Ulta have small samples. What attracted you to this shampoo?

divachyk An Ulta employee recommended that shampoo to me because my hair was relaxed and permanently colored at the time. She said it cleansed and moisturized the hair really well. I tried it and it did just that even though my hair was heavily coated with oil from my prepoo. It smells amazing and a little goes a long way so do not mind the price. Ulta does carries a travel size version for $7.50.

brownb83

Sigh I have to co wash 2 twice a week and wash once if I'm gonna work out 5 days a week. I have no choice I sweat in my head so bad. :/.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Yall make me feel bad. I didn't co wash when j worked out. I would just let my scalp dry before touching my hair. If it was too bad then I would wash early, but I never had to cowash.

divachyk

Saludable84, don't feel bad. I seriously believe a lot of factors differ, especially climate. I sweat a lot regardless how much or little I do. The sweating isn't as bad in the winter but I still sweat. I don't see the need in co-washing if the hair isn't dried out by the sweat or if someone isn't a hair sweater altogether.

naturalagain2

I am now 18 weeks post (longest stretch since being relaxed). I had a protective style for about two months, I didn't intend to go that long with it in but I had just purchased a new home and moved in so I had no time to take it out. I made sure I combed the tangles and shed hair out well but I guess I didn't do a good enough job. Plus I washed my hair in the sink which I think made it worse. I had shed hair wrapped around one or two strands of hair. I've been taking them out for the past two weeks!!! I got all of them out. I'm getting a TU tomorrow and will ask my hair dresser to detangle one more time to make sure I got everything out. My hair has been so frustrating I just don't know anymore.

Evolving78

Does anyone else have new growth that coils up? I know sunnieb does. This is why I don't do stretching. The two textures are every hard to manage.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Does anyone else have new growth that coils up? I know sunnieb does. This is why I don't do stretching. The two textures are every hard to manage.
should I relax? There just isn't enough info out there on stretching. A lot of the people that stretch with no problem seem have more of a wave natural pattern. Like if you are 4b or 3c, it would be easier?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
should I relax? There just isn't enough info out there on stretching. A lot of the people that stretch with no problem seem have more of a wave natural pattern. Like if you are 4b or 3c, it would be easier?

Mine coils up in the back. If you blow it out, even on cool, it will unravel the curls so they stretch and won't coil up as much. The key to successfully stretching is to either know your hair or know how to take care of your hair. For me, stretching only goes well when my hair is stretched. I also have to keep up a good moisture/protein balance and can only really use ceramide oils on the hair and not really ceramide products.

If your hair is bonelaxed, it may be harder to stretch as well.

Stretching can depend on many things, but stretching also isn't proven to always be beneficial. I get the same results relaxing at 19 weeks that I did at 10 weeks. I just stretch better now because I have more texture.

Evolving78

Mine coils up in the back. If you blow it out, even on cool, it will unravel the curls so they stretch and won't coil up as much. The key to successfully stretching is to either know your hair or know how to take care of your hair. For me, stretching only goes well when my hair is stretched. I also have to keep up a good moisture/protein balance and can only really use ceramide oils on the hair and not really ceramide products. If your hair is bonelaxed, it may be harder to stretch as well. Stretching can depend on many things, but stretching also isn't proven to always be beneficial. I get the same results relaxing at 19 weeks that I did at 10 weeks. I just stretch better now because I have more texture.
I am bonelaxed. Yes my coils stretch out using the tension method on cool, but after a day or so, the coils come back. image-1588006391.jpg This is a pic of my hair just blow dried.

emada

Cute coils! Mines also looks like that when it's wet. I've never tried blow drying on cool because I don't think it will stretch it for very long. I usually do a few big sections of flexi rods in the back and my edges with rollers.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Cute coils! Mines also looks like that when it's wet. I've never tried blow drying on cool because I don't think it will stretch it for very long. I usually do a few big sections of flexi rods in the back and my edges with rollers.
thanks! I wish my hair was long enough to do that.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane

Yes. My natural hair is very tightly coiled and knots/ tangles like nobody's business.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2790947741.jpg
    image-2790947741.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 48

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I am bonelaxed. Yes my coils stretch out using the tension method on cool, but after a day or so, the coils come back. This is a pic of my hair just blow dried.

What about on medium heat? If you can, use something for anti reversion that may help to. When I was bonelaxed, I didn't stretch past 12 weeks and it didn't hurt me.