Relaxed Hair Thread

Britt

@Britt I kept seeing compliments on your hair and couldn't find the post with the photo. Found it! Your relaxer came out great and your makeup looks really good, too.
thank you !!!! My hair looked nice after the stylist finished it, but it's so melted and just rubbery, snapping, and weakkkkkk... very reminiscent to when I had my major mishap with coloring and then a blowout last year

Thanks for the makeup compliment, I'm not wearing anything there but blush, mascara and gloss. My face was a sweaty mess yesterday :nono:

Britt

You are too cute! What relaxer did you use again?
thank you !!!
she used Affirm in normal.
It may revert a little after a couple weeks. The straightness I'm left with immediately after relaxing is never what sticks. I'm surprised you overprocessed in 20 minutes. 20 minutes leaves my hair looking like the wild child. Perhaps it was excess manipulation? Did she smooth too much? Did she comb through the newgrowth?
girl yesssss! when I use to relax 20 minutes my hair would LAUGH at that... I had practically virgin hair. I honestly don't know what went wrong. My *biggest* issue going in was that I'd pay all this money and my hair would take longer to process and my scalp would start to burn. The total opposite happened. I just washed earlier and used DRC 28 and my strands are like weak rubber stuck to my scalp :nono:. My ish is dead a$$$ stick straight. I sooooo didn't expect this at all.
On a much brighter note I sure as heck will enjoy the ease of my hair and convenience of my hair. I really hope it strengthens some.

Evolving78

thank you !!!
she used Affirm in normal.

girl yesssss! when I use to relax 20 minutes my hair would LAUGH at that... I had practically virgin hair. I honestly don't know what went wrong. My *biggest* issue going in was that I'd pay all this money and my hair would take longer to process and my scalp would start to burn. The total opposite happened. I just washed earlier and used DRC 28 and my strands are like weak rubber stuck to my scalp :nono:. My ish is dead a$$$ stick straight. I sooooo didn't expect this at all.
On a much brighter note I sure as heck will enjoy the ease of my hair and convenience of my hair. I really hope it strengthens some.
Just stick with your protein treatments. I accidently used Coarse again the last time I relaxed. Just grabbing boxing and rushing. Your hair looks good.

Britt

I'
Just stick with your protein treatments. I accidently used Coarse again the last time I relaxed. Just grabbing boxing and rushing. Your hair looks good.
Thank you !!!!! I'm going to stick with the DRC and follow up with a moisturizing treatment for a few weeks. I could use a good creamy reconstructor to alternate with this. Hmmmmm, what should I try?

thank you! I went to the salon. But honestly, I'm disappointed because I'm severely over processed. I'm surprised by this. Stylist took all precautions, used affirm normal for about 20 min start to finish and my hair is limp and bone straight when wet. Le sigh.... i'll try another stylist next go around and hold off for at least 4 months before relaxing again.

Do a hard protein treatment. It'll reverse/strengthen your hair

MzSwift

I'

Thank you !!!!! I'm going to stick with the DRC and follow up with a moisturizing treatment for a few weeks. I could use a good creamy reconstructor to alternate with this. Hmmmmm, what should I try?

WHOHOO, congratulations!! So sorry to hear about the overprocessing. IA with the ladies, you look pretty! I like Motions CPR in the bottle, not the jar, as a reconstructor. GL to you. It took me a second to get my process right when I first texlaxed.

SuchaLady

It sounds like she over smoothed. I oversmoothed once and processed for 20 minutes and was left with strings for hair. I process for a couple minutes over 20 minutes now + more gentle smoothing and have enough texture left over while still being straight than I did with a shorter relaxing time.

Your hair will be fine though. If you are looking for a protein, Joico Kpak keeps my hair on my head so well. Don't you use Olaplex as well? This would be the perfect time to do a treatment.

ag00

So I decided I'm going to relax my natural hair with Mizani butter blend lye in regular strength. Now to track it down. I need to check some beauty supply stores to see if I can get it. I hate having to order stuff online. I went with regular strength because from what I read many ladies came out underprocessed with the mild. Though my hair is fine and high porosity I don't want to be underprocessed or texlaxed. Idk how much I will need for a full head of long 4b hair. This might cost me a pretty penny.

I know you've already made up your mind so im not going to try to convince you otherwise BUT (lol) as a fellow 4b chick, I highly recommend easing your way back to relaxers with mild. Only because when you choose to relax bone straight after a long time being natural , you can experience a semi-shock and a lot of women feel guilt or immediate regret and eventually decide to go back natural because it's too "too thin" for them after having thick strands for so long. You can do so much with your hair texture using that formula while still keeping the integrity of your strands and without the burning. You should check out a YouTube guru named TJ's Hair. She uses Mizani Butter Blend in mild and her hair is still incredibly manageable and silky even though she has loosened curls.

Evolving78

@Royalq
Use regular. Go with straight results. I was loc'ed and decided to go back to a relaxer. If I would have gotten texlaxed results, I would have bc'ed. Either you in, or you are out! Lol you don't wanna have to go back and do a bunch of correctives.

Britt

It sounds like she over smoothed. I oversmoothed once and processed for 20 minutes and was left with strings for hair. I process for a couple minutes over 20 minutes now + more gentle smoothing and have enough texture left over while still being straight than I did with a shorter relaxing time.

Your hair will be fine though. If you are looking for a protein, Joico Kpak keeps my hair on my head so well. Don't you use Olaplex as well? This would be the perfect time to do a treatment.
She might have over smoothed.. idk, it didn't seem excessive to me. I combed down my wrap this morning and my hair looks like straight up strings! No lie. This is an L. I have to start over yet again. My hair is so fine and thin right now. It looked nice curled when she did it for me. It had more body and flow and movement. I have Olaplex and other treatments but honestly right now the damage is done. I'll have to mask the thinness with clip ins for a while and then figure out what to do when I get deep in a stretch.

Royalq

@Royalq
Use regular. Go with straight results. I was loc'ed and decided to go back to a relaxer. If I would have gotten texlaxed results, I would have bc'ed. Either you in, or you are out! Lol you don't wanna have to go back and do a bunch of correctives.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't want thin bone straight but I also don't want too much texture I'll have to flat iron frequently. I want enough texture that when I flat iron it looks thick and similar to straightened natural hair. I'll go with regular and do my hair in halves.

Lymegreen

She might have over smoothed.. idk, it didn't seem excessive to me. I combed down my wrap this morning and my hair looks like straight up strings! No lie. This is an L. I have to start over yet again. My hair is so fine and thin right now. It looked nice curled when she did it for me. It had more body and flow and movement. I have Olaplex and other treatments but honestly right now the damage is done. I'll have to mask the thinness with clip ins for a while and then figure out what to do when I get deep in a stretch.
As long as you don't have breakage you should be ok. Just have to be careful when the new growth starts coming in as the straight hair is prone to tangle once the new growth starts to establish it's curl pattern.

ElegantElephant

What protein treatments are y'all using and do you always follow up with a moisturizing/conditioning treatment? I really need to do a better job taking care of my hair. I've been so lazy lately.

Britt

As long as you don't have breakage you should be ok. Just have to be careful when the new growth starts coming in as the straight hair is prone to tangle once the new growth starts to establish it's curl pattern.
I definitely have breakage, especially when wet.

SuchaLady

What protein treatments are y'all using and do you always follow up with a moisturizing/conditioning treatment? I really need to do a better job taking care of my hair. I've been so lazy lately.

Joico Kpak is my ride or die. I have very little breakage with this.

Emergencee is great too but I stopped using it just because Kpak is so much easier to find.

Britt

Well goodness what did she do?!

I would go on and do some Olaplex immediately. Or even just the hardest protein you can find.
i honestly don't know. she put olaplex all over my hair before relaxing, she thoroughly based my scalp, she added a bond multiplier to the relaxer. Honestly, the *only* thing I can think of is that mid step. She didn't neutralize right away, she rinsed it well with water and then put on a recontructor mask and left that on for say 15/20 minutes and when I put my hands on my hair underneath the plastic cap I noticed the hair was popping and springing so I called her over and brought it to her attention and had her rinse it out. I'm honestly lost for what went wrong. I think she did a great job applying the relaxer and basing me well. Or maybe I need a relaxer for 'fine' hair and not normal strength. My hair never use to relax bone straight from lye -- EVER. Especially in not such a short amount of time. I didn't think my hair would be straight straight at all. I figured I'd probably leave with more texture than I desire since I was using a lye on mostly virgin hair.

Alma Petra

i honestly don't know. she put olaplex all over my hair before relaxing, she thoroughly based my scalp, she added a bond multiplier to the relaxer. Honestly, the *only* thing I can think of is that mid step. She didn't neutralize right away, she rinsed it well with water and then put on a recontructor mask and left that on for say 15/20 minutes and when I put my hands on my hair underneath the plastic cap I noticed the hair was popping and springing so I called her over and brought it to her attention and had her rinse it out. I'm honestly lost for what went wrong. I think she did a great job applying the relaxer and basing me well. Or maybe I need a relaxer for 'fine' hair and not normal strength. My hair never use to relax bone straight from lye -- EVER. Especially in not such a short amount of time. I didn't think my hair would be straight straight at all. I figured I'd probably leave with more texture than I desire since I was using a lye on mostly virgin hair.

I think that you have found it. You probably got 40 minutes of relaxation instead of 20 because of the delayed neutralization. Most likely despite rinsing, the relaxer remains active until you neutralize it, and neutralize it thoroughly.

ETA: Don't despair. You have a lot of options to try including protein treatments and olaplex. Plus the damage might settle itself down with time. My hair was overprocessed and damaged (though not totally straightened) in 2013 and my ends are still very breakage-prone and tangle-prone to this day but despite that I have been able to maintain my length with a lot of TLC (grazing BSL curly). I do hate the quality of the strands but I was only brave enough to cut about 2-3 inches at the beginning of this year. Funnily my fragile ends curl better than my less damaged texlaxed length and I can actually do wash and goes though they are not conveniently easy.

Last edited:

Britt

I think that you have found it. You probably got 40 minutes of relaxation instead of 20 because of the delayed neutralization. Most likely despite rinsing, the relaxer remains active until you neutralize it, and neutralize it thoroughly.

ETA: Don't despair. You have a lot of options to try including protein treatments and olaplex. Plus the damage might settle itself down with time. My hair was overprocessed and damaged (though not totally straightened) in 2013 and my ends are still very breakage-prone and tangle-prone to this day but despite that I have been able to maintain my length with a lot of TLC (grazing BSL curly). I do hate the quality of the strands but I was only brave enough to cut about 2-3 inches at the beginning of this year. Funnily my fragile ends curl better than my less damaged texlaxed length and I can actually do wash and goes though they are not conveniently easy.
Thanks for the encouragement! I know I'll have to regrow everything out so that my hair is thicker over all. I strongly suspect it's the bolded that happened. In the past my stylists have never done the mid step thingy...

Britt

Step 3?
She has access to it, but how does one that doesn't have a stylist obtain it? Wouldn't she need all 3 steps?
I do have step 3 at home. For the other steps I'd probably go back to the stylist. But I'm just turned off all around and disappointed. I'll continue with my protein treatments at home.

MzSwift

Aww man @Britt

:bighug:

That sucks. I honestly think we fine haired ladies can't do bone straight hair without looking a mess. That's why when I did my virgin relaxer I left a lot of texture in. Because my strands are fine, it's easy to straighten my hair without too much heat. Just stick it out and stay on your protein game and you guys will find a process that works for you.

Honestly, she sounds like she might frequent the hair boards. She probably thought she was doing a good thing. A lot of ladies do the mid step protein with great results. I tried it too but my hair is best when I do the protein after neutralizing. Either way, I think it will work out well for you once you get your regi down.

Oh, another way I add protein without doing a DC is good old fashioned Infusium 23. I massage it into my hair before M&Sing. I also add it to my spray mix when I need a boost. This works both on my natural and texlaxed hair. GL to you, it's going to work out!! :)

Britt

Aww man @Britt

:bighug:

That sucks. I honestly think we fine haired ladies can't do bone straight hair without looking a mess. That's why when I did my virgin relaxer I left a lot of texture in. Because my strands are fine, it's easy to straighten my hair without too much heat. Just stick it out and stay on your protein game and you guys will find a process that works for you.

Honestly, she sounds like she might frequent the hair boards. She probably thought she was doing a good thing. A lot of ladies do the mid step protein with great results. I tried it too but my hair is best when I do the protein after neutralizing. Either way, I think it will work out well for you once you get your regi down.

Oh, another way I add protein without doing a DC is good old fashioned Infusium 23. I massage it into my hair before M&Sing. I also add it to my spray mix when I need a boost. This works both on my natural and texlaxed hair. GL to you, it's going to work out!! :)
This message made me smile. I was telling my SO how supportive you all have been with this. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I think she thought was taking all precautions. I'm gonna get a bottle of Aphogee Green tea spray to use as a leave in also for now. I need lots of protein. I think the mid step is where things went wrong too. I'm going to reach out to my stylist and let her know.