Relaxed Hair Thread

Evolving78

@shortdub78 I finally relaxed today but it was
h-e-double hockey sticks this time. Man relaxer got in my eye from my hair, and it got wet while I was rinsing the other part :cry3:I just blow dried and threw a wig on :look:
Oh no! I had something similar happen to me with the relaxer eye thing. I now part my hair in 4 section, part small sections, apply my base, then two strand twist each small section. It makes it so much easier to apply and get through my hair quicker.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Oh no! I had something similar happen to me with the relaxer eye thing. I now part my hair in 4 section, part small sections, apply my base, then two strand twist each small section. It makes it so much easier to apply and get through my hair quicker.
Ironically, it was in 4 sections :lachen:
Here's where I think it went wrong:
•I was rushing
•I thought I was gonna run out cause I had so much new growth, so I cheated on my regular relaxer and bought CON Argan Oil but ended up not using it, because I did have enough lol
•I had half container of relaxer (I scoop it out to use)and used alll of the activator when I should have used half.
•This made my hair process super fast. I set the timer for 8 minutes and I barely got through the section before it was time to rinse. Like as soon as I got to the top layer the bottom was ready to rinse. It was probably more like 4 minutes.
•It was hot as hayle in my apartment
•I was already tired from it being so dang hot.
•I forgot to put my glasses back on (facepalm)
•I didn't even deep condition

Some things that did go right:
•I neutralized for a long time
•That popsicle stick method from Lauren Mechelle works pretty good, even with runny relaxer. I only used two.
•Coating top and bottom before I move to the next section is more efficient for me. I forgot who I got this from. I
•I two stepped the day before
•I triple coated my previously relaxed hair. I used the pre conditioner, blue magic grease, and Silkessence conditioner from Dollar Tree
•I airdryed a bit before I blow dried
• I sprayed X21 and my favorite Aphoghee Green Tea and Keratin on before I blow dried. S/o to whomever mentioned the GT&K
•My regular Cool, Hot, Cool, blow dry method made everything a piece of cake lol

Evolving78

Ironically, it was in 4 sections :lachen:
Here's where I think it went wrong:
•I was rushing
•I thought I was gonna run out cause I had so much new growth, so I cheated on my regular relaxer and bought CON Argan Oil but ended up not using it, because I did have enough lol
•I had half container of relaxer (I scoop it out to use)and used alll of the activator when I should have used half.
•This made my hair process super fast. I set the timer for 8 minutes and I barely got through the section before it was time to rinse. Like as soon as I got to the top layer the bottom was ready to rinse. It was probably more like 4 minutes.
•It was hot as hayle in my apartment
•I was already tired from it being so dang hot.
•I forgot to put my glasses back on (facepalm)
•I didn't even deep condition

•That popsicle stick method from Lauren Mechelle works pretty good, even with runny relaxer. I only used two.
•Coating top and bottom before I move to the next section is more efficient for me. I forgot who I got this from. I
•I triple coated my previously relaxed hair. I used the pre conditioner, blue magic grease, and Silkessence conditioner from Dollar Tree
• I sprayed X21 and my favorite Aphoghee Green Tea and Keratin on before I blow dried. S/o to whomever mentioned the GT&K
•My regular Cool, Hot, Cool, blow dry method made everything a piece of cake lol
Imma have to come and get you and just love on you! You and this hair girl! Lol you go through just as much drama as me relaxer day! That sounded like something I went through awhile ago. That hot bathroom, started sweating which opened up my pores, having to rinse sooner, grabbing the wrong relaxer strength, etc.. :lachen:

ItsMeLilLucky

Imma have to come and get you and just love on you! You and this hair girl! Lol you go through just as much drama as me relaxer day! That sounded like something I went through awhile ago. That hot bathroom, started sweating which opened up my pores, having to rinse sooner, grabbing the wrong relaxer strength, etc.. :lachen:
I love being loved on:lachen:

I had to stop myself and go "what the hayle is going on.."

Royalq

So yesterdays touch up went well. I really feel like no scratching, double basing, and using a sprush helps minimize any burning from my lye relaxer. It just takes so darn long. I like the results though. I just did protein treatment with ors replensh pac, first time being relaxed and using that. My natural bair hated it (my natural hair hated everything:rolleyes:) but it was a nice cheap quick treatment. Then i DCed with aussie moist conditioner. Moisturized with NTM which i havent used since being relaxed waay back in like 2009-10. My hair REALLY likes NTM, its so light but deeply moisturizing.

demlew

So yesterdays touch up went well. I really feel like no scratching, double basing, and using a sprush helps minimize any burning from my lye relaxer. It just takes so darn long. I like the results though. I just did protein treatment with ors replensh pac, first time being relaxed and using that. My natural bair hated it (my natural hair hated everything:rolleyes:) but it was a nice cheap quick treatment. Then i DCed with aussie moist conditioner. Moisturized with NTM which i havent used since being relaxed waay back in like 2009-10. My hair REALLY likes NTM, its so light but deeply moisturizing.

Neutrogena has 40% off right now. I picked up 4 bottles.

Bad&Bougee

These are some awesome tips - thank you! I will definitely try the popsicle stick method and triple coating my hair.

Evolving78

These are some awesome tips - thank you! I will definitely try the popsicle stick method and triple coating my hair.
What you are one of us now? Lol

Bad&Bougee

What you are one of us now? Lol

You silly lol.

Yeah. I enjoyed the health of natural hair but I was always hiding it in braids, wigs, ponytails, etc. While transitioning back to natural after relaxing in February I realized that I can have healthy, thick relaxed hair too so............. I'm back!!!

So far, so good and if I have a setback I have all of you to get me through it :drunk:

ItsMeLilLucky

I was reading this and was like "I've read this before." It took me two seconds to realize you were quoting me :lachen: It's been a long day lol

I'm glad this was helpful for you. I really like the popsicle method because I can apply and work it through at the same time. And I don't have to wash any combs out :laugh: Triple coating is because I'm paranoid and still growing out my shave and it's turned into an unintended asymmetrical haircut lol. Try the Cool-Hot-Cool method too, your hair will appear nice and thick. I never make it to the flat ironing part, cause by that time I'm pooped :look:

Bad&Bougee

I was reading this and was like "I've read this before." It took me two seconds to realize you were quoting me :lachen: It's been a long day lol

I'm glad this was helpful for you. I really like the popsicle method because I can apply and work it through at the same time. And I don't have to wash any combs out :laugh: Triple coating is because I'm paranoid and still growing out my shave and it's turned into an unintended asymmetrical haircut lol. Try the Cool-Hot-Cool method too, your hair will appear nice and thick. I never make it to the flat ironing part, cause by that time I'm pooped :look:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Too cute. I have many of those days so I completely understand!

The cool-hot-cool is already part of my regimen and I love it - especially on relaxer day. I picked it up from LHCF a couple years ago (before I was even a member) and it is amazing how something so unassuming makes a difference in how your hair looks.

The Foundation Preconditioner by Vitale, can you buy it separately or does it only come with the relaxer?

One last question, being that you shaved your head, does it seem as though your hair grows in much thicker and healthier than normal hair growth?

Bad&Bougee

I’m gonna flat iron my hair tonight. I wanna access my hair.

Update
I flat ironed and did a search&destroy and dusted my ends. My hair looks pretty good and on track. With my serial trimming sessions, my hemline isn’t longer, but it’s fuller and I can see growth. I’m going back in my bun and will straighten my hair my next relaxer whenever that is.

What brand of scissors do you use to trim? My hairstylist once told me about using the right kind of sharp scissors for cutting/trimming hair because using the wrong scissors will cause damage and split ends. I haven't trimmed my own hair since but I hate going to the shop just to have my ends clipped!

Bad&Bougee

I am going to self relax this time because every time i go to the salon they cut off inches of my hair. I haven't self relaxed in such a long time. What relaxers are the best?

Many of my friends are in the Mizani fan club but Nairobi and Design Essentials have been really great. Moisturizing, gentle on my scalp and I always get the desired result when I have self relaxed at home - unless I do something crazy to mess it up.

ItsMeLilLucky

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Too cute. I have many of those days so I completely understand!

The cool-hot-cool is already part of my regimen and I love it - especially on relaxer day. I picked it up from LHCF a couple years ago (before I was even a member) and it is amazing how something so unassuming makes a difference in how your hair looks.

The Foundation Preconditioner by Vitale, can you buy it separately or does it only come with the relaxer?

One last question, being that you shaved your head, does it seem as though your hair grows in much thicker and healthier than normal hair growth?
I've only seen it in the Sensitive Scalp Relaxer. I don't think it's sold separately.

Yes it does, but then again my hair is pretty thick anyway lol

SugarSweetCoco**

Can anyone shed some light on how oil weakens a relaxer? I had read that oil has no PH so I was wondering as to how it actually makes its weaker because the relaxer itself will still have the same percentage of lye?

Or is it perhaps because the viscosity is reduced? Or does it in theory work in diluting the relaxer as it is being mixed into an oil- based emulsion?

*any thoughts ladies? :rose:

Sosoothing

Can anyone shed some light on how oil weakens a relaxer? I had read that oil has no PH so I was wondering as to how it actually makes its weaker because the relaxer itself will still have the same percentage of lye?

Or is it perhaps because the viscosity is reduced? Or does it in theory work in diluting the relaxer as it is being mixed into an oil- based emulsion?

*any thoughts ladies? :rose:

When people say oil has no pH they mean it is neutral, with a pH of about 7. So adding it to something acidic or alkaline will make the product less so.
Think of plain water. (It is neither sweet nor salty).If you have really sweet tea and you add more water to it, it will be less sweet. Or if for some crazy reason you had really salty tea, adding plain water will make it less salty.
So adding neutral pH oil to a relaxer will make it less alkaline or weaken it.
I hope that makes sense.

SugarSweetCoco**

When people say oil has no pH they mean it is neutral, with a pH of about 7. So adding it to something acidic or alkaline will make the product less so.
Think of plain water. (It is neither sweet nor salty).If you have really sweet tea and you add more water to it, it will be less sweet. Or if for some crazy reason you had really salty tea, adding plain water will make it less salty.
I hope that makes sense.

Thank you! Its makes a lot of sense now. I plan to add some melted shea butter and almond oil to my next relaxer!

nymane

I hope that makes sense.

@SugarSweetCoco** Actually oil isn't neutral; pH is a measure of acidity or alkalinity of water soluble substances. And since there is no water in oil (and oil doesn't dissolve in water)....oil has no pH value.

Oil won't make the relaxer more acidic (or less alkaline), but oil might slow the processing time because it provides an extra layer of protection that the relaxer must permeate through first.

Last edited:

Sosoothing

@SugarSweetCoco** Actually oil isn't neutral; pH is a measure of acidity or alkalinity of water soluble substances. And since there is no water in oil....oil has no pH value.

Oil won't make the relaxer more acidic (or less alkaline), but oil might slow the processing time because it provides an extra layer of protection that the relaxer must permeate through first.

Interesting. I didn't know.

Wenbev

I cant canerow to save my life, so no crochet braids. relaxed yesnterday. Made a three month stretch, will shoot for 4 months next time around.
This was my second time self relaxing but the first time doing a touchup. Thank you ladies for all the advice, techniques and products to give me the confidence to carry this out on my own.
and @shortdub78 that french perm stabilizer is life. I love it. was on a wild goose chase for it on the ground at sallys but one of the associates there looked it up and told me to buy it online quick bc it is being discontinued so I bought 3 bottles on the BF sale.