Relaxed Hair Thread

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
But I’m in the midst of braiding my hair straight to the back and making a quick weave wig so I can get this pixie cut out my system lol. I’m using a weaving net and a shower cap, but first I gotta finish braiding my hair ugh lol. Idk why my scalp goes crazy when I have a lot of new growth. Like it has to be braided down or something. I think it’s because it feels like it’s suffocating.

Wenbev

9 weeks post. learned this week that flexirod sets make my new growth angry,dry and unhappy. no matter how much oiling or moisturizing I did. :( washed tonight with a focus on adding moisture. washed with the blue bottle joico, 1 min with roux porosity control for my highlights, aphogee 2 min reconstructor, ssi avocado whilst showering. added phytocane scalp treatment, aphogee keratin and tressemee heat tamer. between blowdrying and flat ironing, lightly added biosilk. new growth has been slapped into submission and hair is smooth and soft. Planning to touchup in 3-4 weeks

Evolving78

9 weeks post. learned this week that flexirod sets make my new growth angry,dry and unhappy. no matter how much oiling or moisturizing I did. :( washed tonight with a focus on adding moisture. washed with the blue bottle joico, 1 min with roux porosity control for my highlights, aphogee 2 min reconstructor, ssi avocado whilst showering. added phytocane scalp treatment, aphogee keratin and tressemee heat tamer. between blowdrying and flat ironing, lightly added biosilk. new growth has been slapped into submission and hair is smooth and soft. Planning to touchup in 3-4 weeks
What are you using to set your rod with? Keracare wrap foam lotion kept my hair soft. Any other foam had my hair dry and crunchy. I would love to do Flexi rods again. Maybe by the summer/fall..

I washed my hair with Naked by essations, used soft and beautiful mask ( i like that as a prepoo better) rinsed out with DE almond butter. Used my leave-ins and I blow dried two sections of my hair..lol I need to blow dry the other two. I put a plastic cap on the other side, so it wouldn’t dry out. I will probably spray some Green Tea spray on those sections. I will flat iron and curl this morning.

Evolving78

I finished my hair earlier today it was dry!!! Plus I don’t know how I’m gonna get this short hair to lay down and blend! Like it needs to be molded down... I will do a hydration treatment and will use a clear rinse to seal my cuticles on my next wash day.

Scratch the clear rinse. It has protein in it and I need a serious break from it..

Last edited:

MzSwift

I finished my hair earlier today it was dry!!! Plus I don’t know how I’m gonna get this short hair to lay down and blend! Like it needs to be molded down... I will do a hydration treatment and will use a clear rinse to seal my cuticles on my next wash day.

Scratch the clear rinse. It has protein in it and I need a serious break from it..

Keep on babying that hair, girl!

MzSwift

We had our waterpark trip this past weekend. Things were ok until I came down with Vertigo the last day. Baby cried most of the night that night and most of the 1.5 hr ride home. I went to urgent care and got a formal diagnosis. I feel so much better today. Now I can finally wash and DC my hair and put it up into some sort of style that I can throw a wig over or wear out. I think the protein tx I did before we left is the reason my hair is not in shambles right now.

I think I’m over cornrows right now so I’ve been thinking of banding instead. Funny thing is the style I was thinking of doing, I see Alicia Keys rocked something similar to the Grammys. I’ll post pix of mine if I find the time to do it.

sunnieb

Scratch the coconut oil for nightly sealing. My hair is stringy as heck! I'm so used to being heavy handed because when my hair is healthy, it can take it.

These lil strings I'm working with can't handle all of that. I'll keep using coconut oil in my honey masks though.

About to go cowash and air dry to get some fluff back. :)

sunnieb

Weeeellllll, I may not be giving up on my coconut oil just yet.

I was reading through my Fotki last night and I'm so glad I'm verbose! :lol:

I need to go back to how I used to air dry by not letting my hair dry all the way. This ensures maximum fluff when I take down my braids the next morning. Also, I used to cowash at least 3 times a week! :spinning: I don't remember doing alladat! But the proof is in how my hair was back then.

I'll be adding another cowash day starting this week. It sounds like overkill to me, but I did it and I'll do it again.

Evolving78

Weeeellllll, I may not be giving up on my coconut oil just yet.

I was reading through my Fotki last night and I'm so glad I'm verbose! :lol:

I need to go back to how I air dry by not letting my hair dry all the way. Also, I used to cowash at least times a week! :spinning: I don't remember doing alladat! But the proof is in how my hair was back then.

I'll be adding another cowash day starting this week. It sounds like overkill to me, but I did it and I'll do it again.
Glad you are finding your rhythm again! I’m all over the place! My thing back in the day was roller setting, but I can’t roller set my jacked up section!

Evolving78

I washed my hair because my scalp was itchy!
I shampooed with DE lavender
Black tea rinse while I showered
Dc’ed with Mizani Hydrafuse
Rinse, then applied DE Restore treatment
Will air dry with DE HCO and Hydrience products, then bun.

I like Butter Blends, but again that line is strictly for texlaxing...

Wenbev

What are you using to set your rod with? Keracare wrap foam lotion kept my hair soft. Any other foam had my hair dry and crunchy. I would love to do Flexi rods again. Maybe by the summer/fall..

I washed my hair with Naked by essations, used soft and beautiful mask ( i like that as a prepoo better) rinsed out with DE almond butter. Used my leave-ins and I blow dried two sections of my hair..lol I need to blow dry the other two. I put a plastic cap on the other side, so it wouldn’t dry out. I will probably spray some Green Tea spray on those sections. I will flat iron and curl this morning.
I did it on flat ironed hair. and just used a little ors hair lotion

LushLox

I washed and DC’d yesterday as I was too tired to do it at the weekend. I used the Philip Kingsley scalp exfoliator and my scalp feels amazing, I must do it more often. I used HTN Follicle Mist afterwards.

I joined the heat free challenge, just forget it I failed that already. :lol: I need some kind of heat just not too often.

MzSwift

I’m going to go ahead and post this here too.

I’ve been so tempted to shave my hair again. I was going to grow it out natural and play with some color lightening it up. But I’ve decided against it. I still haven’t reached my texlaxed hair goals so I need to keep pushing.
There is not a lot of texlaxed inspiration around here anymore and I think that hurts when one of us is feeling a bit discouraged. So I went searching an found an old member named Isis whose hair is my goal. I want the length and texture.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep my LO from pulling my hair out...

Here are pix of her beautiful texlaxed hair!!

Evolving78

I’m going to go ahead and post this here too.

I’ve been so tempted to shave my hair again. I was going to grow it out natural and play with some color lightening it up. But I’ve decided against it. I still haven’t reached my texlaxed hair goals so I need to keep pushing.
There is not a lot of texlaxed inspiration around here anymore and I think that hurts when one of us is feeling a bit discouraged. So I went searching an found an old member named Isis whose hair is my goal. I want the length and texture.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep my LO from pulling my hair out...

Here are pix of her beautiful texlaxed hair!!

I remember her!
I think she started the carrot juice challenge years ago.
And I’m texlaxed whether I want to admit it, or not..smh.. lol
So I’m still here with you, I’m just bald headed right now!
You wear claw clips? That might help with the Little One.

MzSwift

I remember her!
I think she started the carrot juice challenge years ago.
And I’m texlaxed whether I want to admit it, or not..smh.. lol
So I’m still here with you, I’m just bald headed right now!
You wear claw clips? That might help with the Little One.

Girl, this little munchkin finds a way to pull my hair when it’s in cornrows!! I even have done buns, high, topknot and low. He reaches behind me and grabs my kitchen like it’s a new toy! So now, I just keep it under a scarf. That’s why I think I’m just gonna end up wigging it again for the next couple of years. SMH.

Evolving78

Girl, this little munchkin finds a way to pull my hair when it’s in cornrows!! I even have done buns, high, topknot and low. He reaches behind me and grabs my kitchen like it’s a new toy! So now, I just keep it under a scarf. That’s why I think I’m just gonna end up wigging it again for the next couple of years. SMH.
Lol How old is he now?

simplyconfident

Opinions needed:

I’m restarting a LONG hair care journey AGAIN (after BC APL hair twice). I’m debating between being strictly a DIYer (relaxers and all) versus going to the salon for relaxers only. In the past I’ve done it both ways. When my hair is longer it made more sense to me due to it being more difficult to relax thick long hair. However, I’m currently NL with healthy ends BUT with breakage at my crown. My crown area makes me nervous to DIY my relaxers.

What are your thoughts?

Evolving78

Opinions needed:

I’m restarting a LONG hair care journey AGAIN (after BC APL hair twice). I’m debating between being strictly a DIYer (relaxers and all) versus going to the salon for relaxers only. In the past I’ve done it both ways. When my hair is longer it made more sense to me due to it being more difficult to relax thick long hair. However, I’m currently NL with healthy ends BUT with breakage at my crown. My crown area makes me nervous to DIY my relaxers.

What are your thoughts?
I would go to a stylist. But if you really wanna do it at home, I would do the half and half method.

MzSwift

Opinions needed:

What are your thoughts?

I think you should DIY first and if you feel it’s not working out, you can go to a salon.

I’m totally biased bc I feel like no one is going to baby your hair like you will. And you’ll only be relaxing the new growth so techniques like pre-parting your hair will make the process so much easier and faster.

Whatever you decide, we’re here to help bounce around ideas! :)

simplyconfident

I think you should DIY first and if you feel it’s not working out, you can go to a salon.

I’m totally biased bc I feel like no one is going to baby your hair like you will. And you’ll only be relaxing the new growth so techniques like pre-parting your hair will make the process so much easier and faster.

I totally agree with you!
I KNOW how to grow my hair and keep it healthy without the help of a stylist. In fact this breakage started under the regular care of a stylist!!!

However, I never liked the relaxer she used. It was something I had never heared of.

I’m leaning towards DIY when I’m due for my retouch... if that goes south, I already have a new stylist in the line up that I feel very strongly with.

The added benefit of using the stylist every other relaxer is that I can get my trim in. I only like to trim every other relaxer.

LushLox

I totally agree. We know that there are some great stylists out there but I haven't got the time or the inclination to try and find them.

@simplyconfident how often do you relax.

Last edited: