Relaxed Hair Thread

MzSwift

Why did I step foot back in here???!! Relaxed hair queen and the Rollersetting diva up in here showing out!:clap:

@sunnieb
Sis, you're gonna make me cry!! I remember when you were discussing your setback and I was here for the pix then. I KNEW you would come back with progress pix bc you've always done it.. each and every time.. without fail. Your consistency always pays off. You are AMAZING! I'm sooo happy for you! KUTGW!!

And sista @LushLox
My love affair with your luscious locks has never ended! Beautiful!! :gorgeous:

I know why I came back - I miss y'all! :love2:

I have cut my locs off and rocked twists since April and just started cornrowing for the winter. I had to graduate my baby from high school and get him started in college and now I'm turning my attention back to my hair. I was planning to install smaller locs but I wouldn't be able to rinse them often without mildew issues so that's a no-go for me. I have no desire to rock my natural hair loose. DH has never seen me with natural hair and he's loving my kink/coils (I'm not). I'm debating being a blown out natural (for DH's sake) vs just going back to my tried and true texlaxing. Leaning HARD toward texlaxing again bc I'm not looking forward to wash days, styling days or running from the rain. And I totally forgot how discouraging shrinkage can be. lol. I don't really want to cause mechanical damage to my hair trying to detangle it and stretch it. My mini braids just seem to lay so much better when I'm texlaxed. I know DH will support whatever I choose. I mean, I guess the decision is already made. :giggle::blush2:

Lemme go grab some Motions, y'all know I'll be back w pix. :biggrin:

MzSwift

I think I am. :drunk:

I’m just so used to the bulk of my natural hair, that I feel kinda bald now. I also didn’t get a good look at my hair wet or the shape of the hair after the cut, so I can’t be thoroughly satisfied.

My stylist was being weird. I had to have my hair done by the owner, because I guess she’s the only one old enough to remember how to do a relaxer. :lol: But she was a total ‘know it all’. She says to me, “you know you have to get rid of all your hair products, right? Cause you can’t use natural products on relaxed hair”. I told her that she doesn’t even know what I got… Later she says that I have to make sure I’m not trying to use oils on my hair, because relaxed hair has a coating on it that prevents oils from getting through. So I have to use moisturizer. Of course I’m going to use a moisturizer, but what is this coating she talking about??

She could've kept that mess to herself, you obviously know what you're doing with all of that pretty hair on your head!

And I totally understand the shock of going from natural to relaxed (esp if you're a coily or kinky natural). But wash day will have you shouting and dancing in the shower. Heck, the fact that you can just have a wash HOUR instead of a DAY will have you trying to figure out what to do with the rest of your time! :lachen:

It will be SO much easier to manipulate your hair into low-mani PSs. Keep up on your protein txs and you'll be just fine. You've been here a while though so you know what's up. And these ladies here are always super helpful and supportive! <3

Theresamonet

Why did I step foot back in here???!! Relaxed hair queen and the Rollersetting diva up in here showing out!:clap:

@sunnieb
Sis, you're gonna make me cry!! I remember when you were discussing your setback and I was here for the pix then. I KNEW you would come back with progress pix bc you've always done it.. each and every time.. without fail. Your consistency always pays off. You are AMAZING! I'm sooo happy for you! KUTGW!!

And sista @LushLox
My love affair with your luscious locks has never ended! Beautiful!! :gorgeous:

I know why I came back - I miss y'all! :love2:

I have cut my locs off and rocked twists since April and just started cornrowing for the winter. I had to graduate my baby from high school and get him started in college and now I'm turning my attention back to my hair. I was planning to install smaller locs but I wouldn't be able to rinse them often without mildew issues so that's a no-go for me. I have no desire to rock my natural hair loose. DH has never seen me with natural hair and he's loving my kink/coils (I'm not). I'm debating being a blown out natural (for DH's sake) vs just going back to my tried and true texlaxing. Leaning HARD toward texlaxing again bc I'm not looking forward to wash days, styling days or running from the rain. And I totally forgot how discouraging shrinkage can be. lol. I don't really want to cause mechanical damage to my hair trying to detangle it and stretch it. My mini braids just seem to lay so much better when I'm texlaxed. I know DH will support whatever I choose. I mean, I guess the decision is already made. :giggle::blush2:

Lemme go grab some Motions, y'all know I'll be back w pix. :biggrin:

I was a straight/blown out natural for the last 2-3 years. That didn’t eliminate that real challenges for me, which is everything you stated: long wash days, mechanical damage from detangling, trying desperately to avoid reversion.

sunnieb

Hey @MzSwift! Glad to see you still around! Thank you for your kind words!

Yeah, you already know what you gonna do! :lol:

I think that's why I stayed relaxed all these years. I'm fortunate to know naturals with my hair texture who tell me the truth about their hair routine. They love not relaxing, but admit the many challenges they have. Matter of fact, every natural I know has dreads, braids, or a wig/weave. None of them have their hair loose. It's too much for their busy lives.

Congrats on the baby going to college! My baby graduates college next May! Woohoo! You and dh enjoy the empty nest.

LushLox

She could've kept that mess to herself, you obviously know what you're doing with all of that pretty hair on your head!

And I totally understand the shock of going from natural to relaxed (esp if you're a coily or kinky natural). But wash day will have you shouting and dancing in the shower. Heck, the fact that you can just have a wash HOUR instead of a DAY will have you trying to figure out what to do with the rest of your time! :lachen:

It will be SO much easier to manipulate your hair into low-mani PSs. Keep up on your protein txs and you'll be just fine. You've been here a while though so you know what's up. And these ladies here are always super helpful and supportive! <3

Awww thank you @MzSwift :kiss: I've missed seeing you in this thread. You were always a great source of help and support.

You know it's going to be a matter of time that you join us, so you may as well get back to posting in here like now. :lol:

MzSwift

I was a straight/blown out natural for the last 2-3 years. That didn’t eliminate that real challenges for me, which is everything you stated: long wash days, mechanical damage from detangling, trying desperately to avoid reversion.
Thank you!
I think I came to this same decision the last time was natural.
I think those 5 years loose were enough for me to get to know my hair but I had no interest in maintaining it loose as it was getting longer.

Hey @MzSwift! Glad to see you still around! Thank you for your kind words!

Yeah, you already know what you gonna do! :lol:

I think that's why I stayed relaxed all these years. I'm fortunate to know naturals with my hair texture who tell me the truth about their hair routine. They love not relaxing, but admit the many challenges they have. Matter of fact, every natural I know has dreads, braids, or a wig/weave. None of them have their hair loose. It's too much for their busy lives.

Congrats on the baby going to college! My baby graduates college next May! Woohoo! You and dh enjoy the empty nest.

Gosh, I wish! The original plan was for him to be the only child. But I ended up remarrying someone else and then we got pregnant on our honeymoon.. so now I'm a SAHM with an almost Kindergartener. lol He used to hair pull when he was little (sensory issues) so I kept my hair in PSs. We moved back to my home state this year and I swear his development has taken off! So I have a bit more time to devote to my hair.

Yeah, I loved the locs but it wasn't yet time for that. When I'm done with loose hair altogether, I'm definitely loccing. Until then, this is home. I can't wait to texlax! Thinking about it, I've been texlaxed most of my life! lol.

Royalq

Good news! I'm glad there's some in stock.

Meanwhile I haven't seen Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 leave in since 2020. I keep checking various BBS and there are a few places online but I don't trust them (amazon will use fakes or straight up send the wrong product). I don't live in the US so I can't order directly from their website.
Really? Just saw it sunday at walmart.

MzSwift

So I ordered an Affirm Fiberguard mild lye relaxer, I couldn't get a mild that large in my usual relaxer. I'm not sure how long my hair is but the last pull test DH did for me last week was around APL. However, I started taking out my crochet hair and accidentally cut the tail off of one of my braided ends that was 5 cornrows braided together. So I just went ahead an cut the other tail approximately the same. I'll see where I'm starting once I relax.

The last time I did my virgin texlax, I was initially happy bc it was an improvement from my natural hair. But I quickly got tired of the curly ends bc of the SSKs. After growing my hair out, I realized that I prefer straighter ends. The curly ends gave me SSKs.

My texture at the start of my texlax journey in 2014:
1664405991888.png

vs my texture at the end of my texlax journey in 2020:

1664405934565.png

And bc I typically stretch my relaxers 5-8 months, I'm gonna purposely not fully relax, resembling a relaxer that has grown out a bit. I will use the Affirm (even tho it isn't my preferred relaxer) to relax the majority of my length. I'm gonna stop a couple of inches away from my scalp and focus on smoothing and getting the texture how I want it. Then I will do a proper touch up in December. I think this process will help alleviate some of the pressure I'd feel to rush through getting my length the way I want it without overprocessing it. Once that hair is processed, it won't be permed again, so it's important to me to get it right. And then for my touch up, I can focus on my "new growth" the way I'm accustomed to doing it for my long stretches. In a way, it's a split-processing method but allowing me to do my whole head instead of left/right side or front/back.

Y'all know I'm typing this for my own documentation purposes. :lol:

Most of the YT virgin relaxer videos I'm seeing are referring to getting bone-straight results and the virgin texlax ones want curly hair, so I'm combining lessons I've learned over my own journey to hopefully get the result I want. I pretty much wanna start where I left off, texture wise.

MzSwift

Alright, I think I'm ready to relax this Sunday.

Yesterday, I took down my cornrows, pre-sectioned and detangled my hair using and an actual detangling tool. I haven't used one of those literally in years. I had a ton of shed hair to remove.

1664571020755.png

My hair is definitely longer than I thought it was - darn you, shrinkage!! Now I'm wondering how much I really cut off while cutting out my crochet hair. Oops. So I will be interested to see what it looks like once it's texlaxed and blown out. I don't plan to trim until December.

Today, I clarified and did a protein tx using this Aveeno (plant protein blend):

1664569922090.png

I have no idea if it's a mild protein but my hair seems to be ok. I bought a few more bottles bc it seems to be a better replacement for my beloved CPR than the Joico Kpak reconstructor (boy I hated that stuff but I had to use it up). My hair tends to prefer mild protein vs a hard tx. I followed it up by drenching my sections with EVOO and slathering on globs of moisturizing condish. I've been trying out Amazon's Tresemme moisture rich knockoff and I like it.

My hair is so deceiving. It appears thick but it isn't, I haven't dealt with it all loose in years so I forgot that. I have cottony texture, fine strands and medium density. And that's why I prefer to texlax vs bonelax. The only semi-thick section is my crown.So I did my parts based on the difference in hair textures and I'll apply the relaxer based on that.

I may be able to do a full texlax after all. Between that and reading old threads about how mild this Affirm Fiberguard is, I may regret having done the protein tx. Oh well. I will likely end up smoothing more than I had planned to and possibly leaving it on longer. I'll be keeping an eye on my hair during the process. If I do a full relaxer, then I'll go ahead and trim if I need to. I just cut my hair in April when I cut out my locs and I can't feel any SSKs, thankfully.

Super excited though! So ready to welcome back my texlaxed hair, see my length and to put my trusty mini braid/twists back in. I plan to KISS my way to WHIP length!! :gorgeous: Lol

1664570675798.png

MzSwift

So I ended up relaxing last night after I finished Halloween decorations for the day. lol. I couldn't wait!

I am soooo happy to feel my scalp again! AND, my ends turned out straight, like I wanted! That was the most important thing to me. There is still texture in my hair and I won't know the true status of my hair until this freshly-relaxed stage is past.

It only took me 3 minutes to apply the relaxer to my hair and ends and then 4 more minutes to go back and apply it to my roots. Then I spent maybe 5 more minutes smoothing it through. I was already near the 13 minutes stated on the container for fine hair but I was so scared of leaving too much texture in that I took my time walking downstairs and setting up to rinse. I think all-in-all, I left the relaxer in for close to 20 minutes.

I did a mid-step protein using a mix of the Aveeno plant protein and Suave Daily Clarifying condish (which my hair has absolutely loved these past few months). Then after a quick neutralizing lather and rinse, I neutralized 3 more times, leaving the lathered poo on 15 mins each time. Then I towel dried and applied Queen Helene cholesterol + Amazon Moisture condish. My hair seemed to melt/soften a bit once I applied that Amazon condish so it's definitely a winner for me. I then sat under the soft bonnet and felt sleepy after 3 mintues, lol. So I struggled to stay awake but made it to a 20 min DC w heat. Then I threw on a bandana and a knit cap over the plastic cap bc I was too tired to shower. Got up this morning and rinsed it out in the shower.

Then I used the Revlon blow dry brush to see how it compared to my off-brand. Not a good comparison bc my hair was longer before. I dried on low in quadrants and it was literally 1 minute for each quadrant!

OK, so I dunno if it's the relaxer or the multiple protein txs that I did (pre-relaxer AND mid-step) but my hair doesn't feel as soft as it usually does. It feels more straw like or wiry and it's usually very cottony soft. When I read older threads on this relaxer a few ladies complained about it making their hair ashy looking and also thin. I do feel that's what my hair looks and feels like. :perplexed:

To be fair, there are so many variables that I changed so it's hard to pin down what exactly is going on. I'm using a different relaxer than usual. I did a pre-relaxer protein (I usually don't). I did a mid-step protein (I didn't do those consistently before). I didn't use my usual neutralizing shampoo. While very thick, the ORS Professional neutralizing shampoo doesn't feel as nourishing as my Motions neutralizing poo. I didn't do my usual ACV rinse with the final neutralizing step. Also, this was a virgin relaxer vs touch ups that I'm used to.

OK, on to the pix. They're not great but it's a good reference for my future check ins.

Relaxer applied:
1664716803645.png

Relaxer rinsed out,texture, naked, before protein and neutralizing:
1664717463317.png

I'm happy still texture and my ends are straight. I know it's gonna poofier as it gets older and I resume my ayurveda applications:
1664717574595.png

Towel dried before DC
1664717671023.png

Blow dried, looking stiff and ashy, lol. It's actually naked with only a dime sized amount of Redken heat protectant cream.
1664717747675.png

See how thin my braid looks? Freshly relaxed is not my jam
1664717840297.png

So it's in my go-to low maintenance PS for the day, braided pigtails, pinned up
1664717919435.png

My plan going forward is to do a few cowashes over the next few days. Then I'm putting in my trusty mini braids/twists.
I'm hosting my mom's 60th birthday party this weekend so I don't want to have to worry about my hair.
Over the next few months I'll be keeping an eye out for any increased shedding, dryness or other issues.
Definitely chilling on the protein txs - my hair has never really been fan.
I barely used 1/4 of the 4lb tub of relaxer, I think it's worth trying it again for my touch up in a few months, if I don't see any adverse reactions over the next few months.

secretdiamond

@MzSwift Congrats on making the switch!
I wish my hair came out texlaxed like yours. Mine comes out looking poofy. I may have to switch to Affirm like I did years ago.

The irony is, if my hair doesn't turn around within the next 4 months (when I plan to relax again), I'm contemplating transitioning back to natural. :lol: This time, without shaving all my hair off!

It just seems like too much work, to keep my hair super healthy the way I would like it to be, with chemicals in my hair... But then again, I also know of the struggles of being natural. I would want to be a straight-haired or stretched natural (via RevAir).

MzSwift

@MzSwift Congrats on making the switch!
I wish my hair came out texlaxed like yours. Mine comes out looking poofy. I may have to switch to Affirm like I did years ago.

The irony is, if my hair doesn't turn around within the next 4 months (when I plan to relax again), I'm contemplating transitioning back to natural. :lol: This time, without shaving all my hair off!

It just seems like too much work, to keep my hair super healthy the way I would like it to be, with chemicals in my hair... But then again, I also know of the struggles of being natural. I would want to be a straight-haired or stretched natural (via RevAir).

TYSM @secretdiamond ! :)
I'm very happy to be back, it feels very natural for me. I'm also excited to start at this length - it's been a long time since I've had hair this short. I'm interested to see where it'll be in one year!

So what's going on with your hair? Do you texlax with a relaxer mix or do you apply it undiluted? How long do you leave it on?
I actually believe there's a way that you could possibly just transition into the hair you want! Can you describe to me the qualities of your ideal hair? Maybe we can figure out how to get you away from poofiness. :bookworm:

MzSwift

So I couldn't take it any more. The rough feel of my hair (and the lingering post-relaxer smell) pushed me to go back to basics.

I decided not to pause my ayurveda regimen any further. I mixed up my trusty hibiscus and salt DC. It's a cholesterol base + 1 tbsp of hibiscus powder + 1/4 cup of EVOO/Grapeseed oil mix + 1.5 tsp - 1 tbsp of salt. As I was stirring it up, I couldn't help but smile at the creamy goodness that I am about to treat my hair with. I missed it actually. Crazy, right?

I was just gonna wash with the Dr. Wood Black Soap but something told me to go ahead and look up the pH of Shikakai to see if I should just use my cleanser that my hair loves. Sure enough, Shikakai has a pH around 4.5, which is exactly what I need to get my hair back on track! I mixed up my Shikakai lemon oil cleanser [30% Shikakai powder tea, 50% moisturizing cheapie condish, 20% castile soap (I chose lavender this time but peppermint gives a good tingle) and about 10-15 drops of lemon EO]. I put it into a bottle and found nozzle that fit and started applying it directly to my scalp. The instant it hit my scalp, there was relief. It feels like my scalp started to relax or something, lol, it didn't feel tight anymore. My hair also melted as I rubbed it through. I'm currently sitting here with it under a plastic cap. I will rinse in about 10 more minutes and then DC with my hibiscus/salt DC.

I think I protein overloaded my hair. I was so nervous about doing a virgin texlax that I was doing a lot of overthinking things. My hair does better when I keep things simple. I need to remember that. I'm not concerned about using the powders bc my hair has thrived with me mixing my own ayurveda products over the past 12 years, both natural and relaxed.

I just wanted to drop in and post that in case someone else needed to hear that too. Stick with what works! lol

MzSwift

Y'all... y'all.
The proof is in the daggone pudding!! My tangled, rough hair is being dealt with. I'm so glad I didn't wait a few days to do this.
I'm typing this now from under the bonnet dryer bc I'm currently DCing and I'm sure it's gonna put me to sleep again. lol

Hair after rinsing out relaxer with water only:
Screenshot 2022-10-02 09.31.52.png

Hair after mid-step protein and neutralizing:
Screenshot 2022-10-02 21.26.32.png

Hair after rinsing out post-relaxer moisturizing DC:
Screenshot 2022-10-02 21.26.59.png

NOW

Hair after rinsing out my shikakai/lemon cleanser:
Screenshot 2022-10-02 21.27.19.png

My Hibiscus/salt DC currently applied:
1664761500446.png

Space saved for my after photo once I rinse out this DC:
ETA photo - hair was softer and fluffier
1664906425434.png

My hair felt more lightweight and normal after rinsing my cleanser. I'm so glad I listened to my hair bc she was NOT happy.
If she feels good after this DC, I'm gonna go ahead and put her into some mini braids and start getting ready for our party this weekend.

Last edited: