Relaxed Hair Thread

demlew

You know how you buy things on a whim and totally forget about them?

I bought this Nexxus leave in spray at CVS a few weeks ago. I really don't remember when! :look:

I didn't know they had this and I'd been looking for a detangling spray to help me when I start really doing longer relaxer stretches. I used it tonight after cowashing. I'll post about it when I have some good, tangly new growth to deal with. I'm only 5 weeks post now.

View attachment 484021

How did this work out? I'm at 12 weeks when I usually relax at 10, so I'm looking for anything to help with tangles. TIA!

MzSwift

Alright so after looking back at old posts I learned that minibraids are inevitable. Throughout my HHJ both natural and relaxed, they've been my primary style and my PS of choice. I was really hoping to be able to cut some corners but it looks like I won't.

It was also interesting to read old posts and remember what I was going through at that time. When I first started coming to LHCF in 2009, I had just started grad school. So much has happened since then but this HHJ has been a constant. :heart3:

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Alright so after looking back at old posts I learned that minibraids are inevitable. Throughout my HHJ both natural and relaxed, they've been my primary style and my PS of choice. I was really hoping to be able to cut some corners but it looks like I won't.

It was also interesting to read old posts and remember what I was going through at that time. When I first started coming to LHCF in 2009, I had just started grad school. So much has happened since then but this HHJ has been a constant. :heart3:
Are you looking for any sisters? I just feel like your golden. It’s so cool being able to look back. I wish I had my old account.

sunnieb

How did this work out? I'm at 12 weeks when I usually relax at 10, so I'm looking for anything to help with tangles. TIA!

Works like a dream and melts my tangles away! Will keep a bottle of this on hand for stretching.

But, I find that my Pattern leave in conditioner acts like a detangler as well. I didn't notice it at first, but now that I'm working with a good layer of newgrowth, I can see the advantages of it.
20221019_220123_resized.jpg

demlew

What Protein DC is everyone using 1st Wash Day post relaxer?
I do an Olaplex treatment and henna since it acts like a protein for me.

BUT just asking this question made me think of Nutress. I used to LIVE by that protein treatment before I started using henna. It looks and smells like toothpaste. It’s strong enough to identify as protein, yet somehow still moisturizing. I might grab a packet from Sally’s just for nostalgia.

MzSwift

What Protein DC is everyone using 1st Wash Day post relaxer?

I've been actually thinking about picking up some MT. I know it was used as growth aid but it was a pretty good protein tx the few times I used it like that.
But first, there was this protein tx by Vatica that I had picked up before I locced and then threw it away before I had a chance to use it bc I didn't need conditioner anymore. I'm thinking about buying it again bc ayurveda has not steered me wrong. Would be nice to have something premixed.

I just know that I'm not dabbling in Joico K Pak anymore. It was too strong for my hair.

I do an Olaplex treatment and henna since it acts like a protein for me.

BUT just asking this question made me think of Nutress. I used to LIVE by that protein treatment before I started using henna. It looks and smells like toothpaste. It’s strong enough to identify as protein, yet somehow still moisturizing. I might grab a packet from Sally’s just for nostalgia.

Moisturizing protein you say? Tell me more about this Nutress.

demlew

I've been actually thinking about picking up some MT. I know it was used as growth aid but it was a pretty good protein tx the few times I used it like that.
But first, there was this protein tx by Vatica that I had picked up before I locced and then threw it away before I had a chance to use it bc I didn't need conditioner anymore. I'm thinking about buying it again bc ayurveda has not steered me wrong. Would be nice to have something premixed.

I just know that I'm not dabbling in Joico K Pak anymore. It was too strong for my hair.

Moisturizing protein you say? Tell me more about this Nutress.

This is the packet. I'm excited to buy some soon. I'm going to experiment and use it under a steamer! It's minty green and smells like toothpaste. I never had to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner after using it. It's funny bc I went to their website, but it leads to their Amazon storefront now.
1669969141239.png

Theresamonet

Wow, I was just recently going through old hair care photos, and I have some pics of Nutress products I used to use. Some protein packs and the leave-in spray. I wondered if anyone still used it. I honestly can’t really remember my thoughts on it. I may pic up a pack from Sally’s.

Theresamonet

Since my salon experience wasn’t the best, I’m thinking about doing my own touch ups. I’m kinda nervous since it’s been so long since I’ve done a relaxer myself.

What are your favorite methods (or tips and tricks) for getting the full head done in a timely manner? I’ve tried the half/half method before, but didn’t like that.

MzSwift

Since my salon experience wasn’t the best, I’m thinking about doing my own touch ups. I’m kinda nervous since it’s been so long since I’ve done a relaxer myself.

What are your favorite methods (or tips and tricks) for getting the full head done in a timely manner? I’ve tried the half/half method before, but didn’t like that.

Pre-parting the hair into twists, loose at the roots. I am able to apply my relaxers in 5-8 minutes, whole head.

1670002318053.png 1670002400537.png 1670002485415.png

1670002711976.png

You can make them as small or as big as you want. I've experimented with many different sizes.
Go thru, hold out a twist with one hand and slather on the relaxer with the other.
Do all of the sections.
And then go back thru and smooth and you're done.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Definitely pre-parting! I forget the member who did this, but it was a game changer for me!

My fotki is still open. Check out my self-relax album. Can't believe I posted it 11 years ago! Time flies. I haven't stepped foot in a salon since.

MzSwift

I can't even remember the last I DC'd. smh.
I can say that using my Ayurveda mixes leaves my hair in such a condition that I'm not feeling pressed to DC as often.

I can't deny the benefits of DCing though, especially with heat. So I'll only aim to DC in between my long term styles. If I change them out every 3-4 weeks, that puts me on a monthly DC schedule and I can live with that.