Relaxed Hair Thread

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
That's the thing, I think she's scrubbed her social media presence bc I had a really hard time finding those photos of her. Google had nothing so I found a lot of her photos on Yahoo images. And when I tried to go to her old YT page, there's nothing but one video of bunnies on there.

It's too bad really bc she was someone who did very little PSing and had gorgeous hair! She was diligent about DCing and most of her styles were heatless. I also think she rarely stretched her relaxers very long so her hair stayed camera ready. I honestly think since most of her styles involved her ends being curled up/under, that it was protecting her from a lot of end damage.
I was thinking about her possibly a year ago, I remember she did her own relaxers, and she used a bunch of applicator sticks using the "squeegee" method if I remember correctly. I wonder what happened to her, like did she win the lottery or go into witness protection or something :scratchchin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I think I may have mentioned this before, but I'm going to rotate Joico K-Pak and Nexxus Keraphix/Humectress on wash day.

Will still be using Curlsmith and/or Olaplex as my Bonding Treatment.

At some point, will probably buy/try Sally's version or a cheaper one. A lot of lines seem to have Bonding Treatments now.

Theresamonet

This worked amazingly well; it looks like I flat ironed it. It didn't even take that long perhaps 30-45 minutes. The only difference is I didn't put my hair in a bun, I pony tailed it and pinned the ends up so that they could get dry. There was a smidge of dampness still in the middle and the densest part of my hair but it was fine. This is a handy way do a nice a quick wash day sans blow dryer and flat iron and should last me right through to my next wash day.

which foam wrap did you use?

LushLox

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I'm going to rotate Joico K-Pak and Nexxus Keraphix/Humectress on wash day.

Will still be using Curlsmith and/or Olaplex as my Bonding Treatment.

At some point, will probably buy/try Sally's version or a cheaper one. A lot of lines seem to have Bonding Treatments now.

Do you use protein every wash T? Coupled with all of the bonding treatments you use your hair must be very strong.

I need to up my protein game, I've been slipping lately.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@LushLox
Yes, I have been.

Especially since going back to Relaxed Hair. I need to stay up on my Protein Game.

I have "Stylist-Fright" :nervous2: ( :giggle: ), so I need to make sure I am staying on top of any potential damage she might have done during the relaxing process:look:

Girl, my hair is so "coated" when I go in there....:lachen:I make sure I base my scalp and my hair from Root to Tip:eek:

She get to running that mouf, messing with that phone and getting careless:blah::blah::blah:

So, I am doing double-duty to stay on top of her.

And stretching has helped tremendously although she tries to throw shade about me not coming in often enough :perplexed:

LushLox

I am very fortunate that my work environment is very relaxed. We are supposed to go into the office 1/2 a week, but if you can't it's fine lol. I'm going to work from home for the rest of the month. In the meantime my hair can just luxuriate in my silk turban for that period, except for when I need to go out, and even then I'll just put it in a bun.

I was planning to relax at 16 weeks but I think I will up this to 20 weeks, my hair is behaving very well so it should be fine. I'm going to wash and DC twice a week for a while also as opposed to once a week.

sweetiep

I'm not going to lie, it's nice to have the option of just staying at home, more or less when I want.

But I like going to the office, it's nice to break up the working environment too and not being stuck in just one routine.
I used to be the same way until I moved to Houston. This is next level heat here so I’m thankful for working at home. Not to mention I’m an hour away from the office.

sunnieb

So I have to find a new relaxer AGAIN!

I was really loving the Optimum relaxer and how my hair took to it. Welp, I went out to buy it today and couldn't find it in stock as usual. Came home to order onlilne and was out of stock at CVS and Sally's! :( Walmart online still has it, but I can see the writing on the wall. When a product that used to be everywhere, starts slowly disappearing, it won't be available anywhere in a little while.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe their supply chain got messed up and is being fixed. Ironically, my old relaxer (ORS Olive Oil) is all over the place. Shelves stocked to the brim with it. I'd still be using it if they hadn't changed the formula to that drippy, runny mess.

Oh well, just venting......

sunnieb

I am very fortunate that my work environment is very relaxed. We are supposed to go into the office 1/2 a week, but if you can't it's fine lol. I'm going to work from home for the rest of the month. In the meantime my hair can just luxuriate in my silk turban for that period, except for when I need to go out, and even then I'll just put it in a bun.

I was planning to relax at 16 weeks but I think I will up this to 20 weeks, my hair is behaving very well so it should be fine. I'm going to wash and DC twice a week for a while also as opposed to once a week.
Sounds like my office. We're supposed to go in at least one day a week, but 2 is "preferrable". I usually make the effort to go in 2 days just to break the monotony and if I need to stop and do some shopping that's close to the office. There's also a take out restaurant I like to stop at on my way home. :look:

But I'm lucky. My office is only 20 minutes from me and none of my direct peers are there. In fact, most of the office snitches aren't there anymore. So I just breeze in, work, and slide out.

MzSwift

So I have to find a new relaxer AGAIN!

I was really loving the Optimum relaxer and how my hair took to it. Welp, I went out to buy it today and couldn't find it in stock as usual. Came home to order onlilne and was out of stock at CVS and Sally's! :( Walmart online still has it, but I can see the writing on the wall. When a product that used to be everywhere, starts slowly disappearing, it won't be available anywhere in a little while.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe their supply chain got messed up and is being fixed. Ironically, my old relaxer (ORS Olive Oil) is all over the place. Shelves stocked to the brim with it. I'd still be using it if they hadn't changed the formula to that drippy, runny mess.

Oh well, just venting......
That's crazy! Optimum is an OG! I used to alternate btwn that and Motions before I knew the difference between lye and no-lye. :blush2:

sunnieb

Maybe it’s just so popular that everyone’s buying them all.
I hope so. Turns out Walmart didn't have it either. I forgot that their online platform is basically an open place for all different sellers.

One seller was charging $21 for one! I didn't buy it on principle. Not going to pay a price gauger. Went to Sally's online and ordered the Soft & Beautiful no-lye. I'll see how my hair likes it.

MzSwift

GL @sunnieb !!

I dunno if I mentioned here but I went ahead and purchased some more Motions lye from Sally's. I feel better now having it here in my closet and ready whenever I need it.

It's a big tub but it's regular strength so I'm gonna go back to diluting it w a cheapie condish and EVOO. Also going back to 4/8/12 system until my hair grows back out. I feel really hopeful during my informal pull tests. I also plan to dust, then do an ayurvedic paste (which I rarely do now) in August and then seal it in my ends with a water tx. I'm hoping to be able to at least grip my own hair again by the EOTY :(

Theresamonet

The current state of affairs is not great, ladies.

I just relaxed my hair after 21 weeks. I don’t think I’ll go that long again ever. Not only did detangling become a pain in the ass, but I got some line of demarcation breakage at my nape. :nono: There was no reason for me to stretch that long other than— I just didn’t feel like doing it, and I had residual anxiety from the last time I self relaxed.

My relaxer results were better this time, but still not optimal. I’m going to have a patchwork quilt of textures by the time I get my desired results. :facepalm: Next time I’m going to go back to the half and half method like I used to. I feel more comfortable doing it that way.

It’s also been 18 weeks since my last trim. :nervous2:I can definitely see the wear on my ends and have been experiencing some breakage. I do protective style 100% of the time and haven’t used any heat, so hopefully it’s not too bad. I‘m going to get to the salon this coming week. But I really need to figure out how to do my own trims so I can start doing little dustings like Wanakee describes in the info @sunnieb recently posted.

All in all, I’m calling this a setback. Hopefully I can make it up in the next half of the year.

I also realized that I’m only 1.5 - 2 inches from my goal of waist length, yet my hair is still far from what I feel is long. I don’t think I’ll be satisfied until my hair is below my butt. What is that? Classic length? Somehow that makes me feel better about this setback. I hated to be approaching my “final” goal with lackluster results.

Last edited:

MzSwift

@Theresamonet

:bighug:
Ditto what @IDareT'sHair said!

And yes, Hairnorexia is real! My hair never felt long although it looked long in photos or in person to other ppl. To me, I felt like it didn't look like the MBL or WL that I see on the hair boards. I know you didn't like your last relaxer results but I walked away from seeing your photos thinking you had the bomb hair! It was so shiny, full and pretty. You didn't have a lot of crinkle left at the roots. You and your sister did a great job!

Let me tell you, we are our biggest critics of our hair. Think back to when you thought APL was long hair. And here you are inches from WL feeling like it's short! You've done well! No head of hair is perfectly symmetric or without its flaws but it's beautiful nonetheless. You deserve to celebrate what you've accomplished bc you've worked hard to get here.

It's ok to be lazy sometimes. You know what you've gotta do to get back on track. And this is the right time to course correct. Six months until the end of the year and I bet, if you stay on track, you'll see a different head of hair in December! :)

sunnieb

@Theresamonet I think we can all relate to what you are going through. The good news is that you recognize the damage before it gets catastrophic. Nape damage can be repaired. You still have considerable length to work with while you get your hair back in the shape you want.

Self relaxing with confidence takes patience. When I first found LHCF, it took me almost 4 years before I self relaxed. I was lucky that I had a decent stylist back then, but even she started cackling a little when I wanted to go longer between relaxers.

Keep us posted on your progress! You got this!