Relaxed Hair Thread

MzSwift

I ended up texlaxing yesterday at 24.5 weeks and I'm happy I did! It felt great to shake my hair around and feel it move without being bound by braids!
I definitely couldn't keep it that way though bc I would have no hair left on my head. lol

I think I retained ok this year. My hair is finally starting to feel heavy again when I relaxed. And I can knot my hair again, eliminating the need for clips and ponytail holders. I will be sticking w rocking exposed cornrows and mini braids in the summer.
However, I am going to be making a few changes in order to really kick my retention up a notch.

1- I'll be incorporating more full PSs
My hair does better when I absolutely leave it alone. While cornrowed, I was applying scalp concoctions and rubbing in moisturizer daily. Even that was too much manipulation for my fine strands. I need to keep my hands out of my hair! So while the cornrows were great overall for retention, they presented issues for me by giving me opportunities to do too much HIH!! HIH is the enemy of my fine strands and I know this.

Honestly, I got the results I had in 2018-2019 (avi pic) bc I HAD to cover my hair. My baby was a hair puller and he did it to soothe himself so I had to protect my hair from that. Even though he's grown out of that, I'm gonna re-enter that mindset for 2024. I believe I will see more growth and retention gains from that one change than any growth aid I'll use.

So I'll be adding in sewing down wigs this year. Now that my hair is getting longer, I feel better about rocking wigs. Crazy, right? :huh:
Also, I might try to add in some crochet styles.

2- Incorporating more DCs
Rocking FULL PSing is gonna put me on a schedule to DC regularly. It's something I've skipped out on this year. When I look back at my goal hair years 2018-2019, I was switching up my full PSs every 3-4 weeks. And at each change up, I washed, DCd and blow dried my hair in order to braid it back up. I didn't touch it much while it was in the style. I just created my own braid spray using herbs and oils and I was set.

3- Losing the Fenugreek seeds and Clove buds
I tried them in my hair routine this year and my husband HATED the smell of them. But I was on a serious growth mission in 2023 and hoped that they would give me phenomenal growth, so that's what I told him. I used them together as a hair tea in my daily hair spray mix and in my scalp growth oil. But they didn't give me the boost I sought so they're not worth keeping.

2023 Summary-
I am NOT wow'd by my progress. I was terrified that I wouldn't be and I'm disappointed. I didn't have an NJoy growth year like I had hoped. I'm typically an optimist, I swim in positivity and I've successfully used visualizing to manifest a lot in my life, even before I knew what that was. But I knew realistically, I wasn't gonna have a year like NJoy's when I was only about BSB in my Oct check in and not MBL. lol. I knew I wouldn't make it by December, my hair just does not grow THAT fast. Also, I had to ditch the sulfur after only two months bc it tarnished my jewelry and sulfur was key to her scalp concoction. My hair is still in that in between stage now at the end of 2023, where it's not too short but it still isn't long.

And is anyone else like me where my hair feels longer IRL, as I'm doing day-to-day activities, than it looks in photos?!! It's always been that way but it's more apparent now that it's short and I'm more focused on getting it back to where I was.

So from 2024 on, I will remember to stay in MY lane, which is KISS and slow and steady progress. I was just so desperate, y'all, bc my hair was so short!! My hair goal is still my 2019 hair (avi pic) bc my goal overall is to pick back up where I left off in 2019. So the sooner I get there, the better I'll feel. lol

OK, on to the pix! :biggrin:

At 24.5 weeks post (last relaxer July 10, 2023), I prepped and relaxed.

1703856262259.png 1703856339149.png 1703856375141.png

And then I let it airdry. I still have a lot of texture that will loosen as the hair gets longer/heavier.

1703856517249.png

And then came the scary part. This is the part that would show me my real progress. The blow dry and flat iron. :nervous2:
I wasn't planning to do it last night bc it was already so late but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep well. lol
I haven't flat ironed since 2019. I'm a bit rusty. I decided to use the flat iron to put curls in my hair and then try my hand at wrapping.
So this is blow dried and flat iron curled.

1703856934827.png 1703857273027.png

And, drum roll, my progress:
Not really fair bc I didn't flat iron last year due to disappointment. I almost didn't this year too. :(

Dec 2022

1703863732898.png

Dec 2023

1703863853640.png

Thanks for always being here for support, ladies! :grouphug2: Our little community rocks!
Have a safe and happy New Year!!

Last edited:

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
I ended up texlaxing yesterday at 24.5 weeks and I'm happy I did! It felt great to shake my hair around and feel it move without being bound by braids!
I definitely couldn't keep it that way though bc I would have no hair left on my head. lol

I think I retained ok this year. My hair is finally starting to feel heavy again when I relaxed. And I can knot my hair again, eliminating the need for clips and ponytail holders. I will be sticking w rocking exposed cornrows and mini braids in the summer.
However, I am going to be making a few changes in order to really kick my retention up a notch.

My hair does better when I absolutely leave it alone. While cornrowed, I was applying scalp concoctions and rubbing in moisturizer daily. Even that was too much manipulation for my fine strands. I need to keep my hands out of my hair! So while the cornrows were great overall for retention, they presented issues for me by giving me opportunities to do too much HIH!! HIH is the enemy of my fine strands and I know this.

Honestly, I got the results I had in 2018-2019 (avi pic) bc I HAD to cover my hair. My baby was a hair puller and he did it to soothe himself so I had to protect my hair from that. Even though he's grown out of that, I'm gonna re-enter that mindset for 2024. I believe I will see more growth and retention gains from that one change than any growth aid I'll use.

So I'll be adding in sewing down wigs this year. Now that my hair is getting longer, I feel better about rocking wigs. Crazy, right? :huh:

Rocking FULL PSing is gonna put me on a schedule to DC regularly. It's something I've skipped out on this year. When I look back at my goal hair years 2018-2019, I was switching up my full PSs every 3-4 weeks. And at each change up, I washed, DCd and blow dried my hair in order to braid it back up. I didn't touch it much while it was in the style. I just created my own braid spray using herbs and oils and I was set.

I tried them in my hair routine this year and my husband HATED the smell of them. But I was on a serious growth mission in 2023 and hoped that they would give me phenomenal growth, so that's what I told him. I used them together as a hair tea in my daily hair spray mix and in my scalp growth oil. But they didn't give me the boost I sought so they're not worth keeping.

2023 Summary-
I am NOT wow'd by my progress. I was terrified that I wouldn't be and I'm disappointed. I didn't have an NJoy growth year like I had hoped. I'm typically an optimist, I swim in positivity and I've successfully used visualizing to manifest a lot in my life, even before I knew what that was. But I knew realistically, I wasn't gonna have a year like NJoy's when I was only about BSB in my Oct check in and not MBL. lol. I knew I wouldn't make it by December, my hair just does not grow THAT fast. Also, I had to ditch the sulfur after only two months bc it tarnished my jewelry and sulfur was key to her scalp concoction. My hair is still in that in between stage now at the end of 2023, where it's not too short but it still isn't long.

And is anyone else like me where my hair feels longer IRL, as I'm doing day-to-day activities, than it looks in photos?!! It's always been that way but it's more apparent now that it's short and I'm more focused on getting it back to where I was.

So from 2024 on, I will remember to stay in MY lane, which is KISS and slow and steady progress. I was just so desperate, y'all, bc my hair was so short!! My hair goal is still my 2019 hair (avi pic) bc my goal overall is to pick back up where I left off in 2019. So the sooner I get there, the better I'll feel. lol

View attachment 493413 View attachment 493415 View attachment 493417

And then I let it airdry. I still have a lot of texture that will loosen as the hair gets longer/heavier.

View attachment 493419

And then came the scary part. This is the part that would show me my real progress. The blow dry and flat iron. :nervous2:
I wasn't planning to do it last night bc it was already so late but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep well. lol
I haven't flat ironed since 2019. I'm a bit rusty. I decided to use the flat iron to put curls in my hair and then try my hand at wrapping.

View attachment 493421 View attachment 493423

Not really fair bc I didn't flat iron last year due to disappointment. I almost didn't this year too. :(

Dec 2022

View attachment 493435

Dec 2023

View attachment 493437

Thanks for always being here for support, ladies! :grouphug2: Our little community rocks!
You are entitled to feel how you feel but baby the gains like woo! You’re so meticulous at your art. This is so good inspiring. Baby toe length is coming right up!

MzSwift

We gonna celebrate the wins but I so deeply get all the feels. Is sewing your wig hard?

Not hard at all! I have no skills so I keep it simple.

I buy cheap, synthetic wigs and I use weaving thread and curved needle to sew it down all around my perimeter.
I love using little pixie cut wigs and short curly wigs for this bc they're easy to maintain, just wrap up at night and then wake up, fluff and go.
I'm gonna try to use a headband style wig this year and see how it goes. Also gonna try sewing down a longer wig just to bun it daily.

Last edited:

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Not hard at all! I have no skills so I keep it simple.

I buy cheap, synthetic wigs and I use weaving thread and curved needle to sew it down all around my perimeter.
I love using little pixie cut wigs and short curly wigs for this bc they're easy to maintain, just wrap up at night and then wake up, fluff and go.
I'm gonna try to use a headband style wig this year and see how it goes. Also gonna try sewing down a longer wig just to bun it daily.
Ok it’s something for me to think about because I only wash once a month and wear wigs daily but only wonder about my hair line.

MzSwift

Ok it’s something for me to think about because I only wash once a month and wear wigs daily but only wonder about my hair line.

Yes! I have fine edges as well so I have to be careful!

Now remember, my skill level is "Novice" so I have to keep things simple. lol
I do straight backs with a separate nape braid like this:

1703878564836.png

I also do straight backs w a weave cap. And then sew the wig onto the cap seam.The cap can be haphazardly sewn onto the braids for more security.

1703879205278.png
^^^ This wasn't for a wig, it was for a crochet set. But I would pull it forward closer to my edges for a wig and then any tension from the wig isn't on my edges.

The other braid base I did the most was just putting braids down the sides (instead of straight back) and then the rest go straight back, with a nape braid. The braids along the hairline help me when I sew down the wig.

I can't find my photo of that one but the front is braided like this, just one braid on each side:

1703878370765.png

MzSwift

@MzSwift Your progress is fantastic! :love: It looks like you retained 6 inches this year. I’m going to assume your hair grows about 1/2 inch a month? If so, you have retained ALL of your growth for the year… What more do you want? :laugh:

:lachen:
Right?!!
That's EXACTLY why I was disappointed this year! My hair typically grows around 4"/yr so when I experiencing all of this extra new growth this year and thought I was retaining it all ... it wasn't where I hoped I would be at the EOTY.

I'm grateful that I got my usual, slow and steady progress. BUT...

I was looking for THIS type of growth this year:

1703880906667.png

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Yes! I have fine edges as well so I have to be careful!

Now remember, my skill level is "Novice" so I have to keep things simple. lol
I do straight backs with a separate nape braid like this:

View attachment 493445

I also do straight backs w a weave cap. And then sew the wig onto the cap seam.The cap can be haphazardly sewn onto the braids for more security.

View attachment 493447
^^^ This wasn't for a wig, it was for a crochet set. But I would pull it forward closer to my edges for a wig and then any tension from the wig isn't on my edges.

The other braid base I did the most was just putting braids down the sides (instead of straight back) and then the rest go straight back, with a nape braid. The braids along the hairline help me when I sew down the wig.

I can't find my photo of that one but the front is braided like this, just one braid on each side:

View attachment 493443
I adore you with the visuals. How does the wig look once sewn? I may need to play with this because I want to look together all the time and may help when I start water aerobics.

MzSwift

I adore you with the visuals. How does the wig look once sewn? I may need to play with this because I want to look together all the time and may help when I start water aerobics.

I had to search deep in my hair photos for the wigs. I was dealing w a very temperamental little one and a big mastiff puppy at that time (which is why I was in a full PS) so I think I only took the photos in progress but not when I finally finished! lol.

Also, I'm a SAHM so my looks may not be super professional or anything and most of the time, I stay under a scarf or bandana. lol

But I did get my pixie wig photo when I first finished sewing it down. So it would flatten under my satin scarf at night and then in the morning, I just took off my scarf and fluffed.

Here's that one:
1703884744427.png 1703884816879.png

This is my other pixie. It's super easy to fluff back up bc it doesn't really have as many curls.

1703885433939.png 1703885515000.png

This is one of the curly ones I plan to sew down slightly behind my hairline just like this. It's only pinned on here but I would just sew it down in place all around and then add a headband.

1703884908454.png

This is another curly one pulled all of the way forward.
1703885101852.png

And this is my favorite one to put slightly behind my edges with a pencil headband. Bc it actually works better if my braids show a little.
1703885325430.png

HTH! :)

LushLox

2023 Summary-

View attachment 493413 View attachment 493415 View attachment 493417

View attachment 493419

View attachment 493421 View attachment 493423

Dec 2022

View attachment 493435

Dec 2023

View attachment 493437

That is some seriously awesome progress. Your hair looks thick from root to tip, beautifully lush and shiny.

Fantastic job! :love:

LushLox

Guess what? I'm in a crazy position in that I'm running out of conditioner! o_O

I've never been in that position before, I just haven't been constantly buying conditioner and I haven't done for some time.

But its time to go conditioner shopping again!

MzSwift

Welp:

-I'm back on a 4 - 8 - 12 relaxer schedule for 2024. Don't ask. :giggle:

-I'm accidentally back on sulfur thanks to my little one.

-I'm trying a new thing by sewing a weaving cap down onto my cornrows. I plan to wash, DC and apply my products with it on. I'm hoping it'll help preserve my cornrows so that I can keep them in longer. :pray: The only real concern I have about this is the band possibly causing breakage around my hairline. I'm gonna apply oil extra heavy around my hairline to help prevent breakage.

MzSwift

@MzSwift I'm glad my question turned out to be helpful for both of us :) .
I have another question....what's a 4 - 8 - 12 schedule? Is that 4 weeks, 8 weeks 12 weeks??

Oh, sorry! :blush2: I'll be relaxing in April, August and December -- the 4th, 8th and 12th months of the year.
I was on this schedule for the 3 years that I was backsliding and my hair actually loved it. It also made it easier for me to keep up with my relaxers during a time when I was life busy and hair lazy.

It actually times really well w a few major weather changes. It starts to warm up in April. August sets me up for a really good fall blowout or even a flat iron pass for my October relaxer anniversary. And December is the end of the year check in and holiday gatherings. I participate in too many challenges to not have EOTY input. I realized that it wasn't fair to the other ladies who also participated all year.

LushLox

I will be doing an April touch up too. I'm going to update/repurchase my neutraliser and protein as I've been using the same bottles for a long time and I do wonder about its efficacy long term. The bottles are so big though, I can't buy them any smaller as they are supposed to be for salon purposes.

Anyhow, I have been enjoying air drying again. It might not be as polished as when I use heat stylers but I prefer how my hair feels when I air dry, especially as I can get a nice/straight finish when I add in some flexi rods.

And I'm styling very simply now, just one single braid at the back, it's working well.

MzSwift

I'm about 5 weeks post (tomorrow) and I have maybe a mm of new growth. It's so weird how my hair grows. Right after the relaxer I see nothing for about 6 weeks and then all of a sudden my new growth explodes! lol

I just blow dried without a heat protectant for the first time since I started my HHG in 2009. It felt like I was sinning!! :lol: I washed with Dr. Woods black soap and DC'd with heat for 30 mins using Vatika egg+honey. And then I applied a little of my Ayurvedic hair oil mix and some Infusium 23 (original formula) and blow dried using my off brand paddle brush blow dryer. My hair was so happy though! lol My hair always feels so good after I blow dry. It was nice to feel hair on my shoulder blades again. I actually trimmed, accidentally cut, my hair at the beginning of the year before installing the cornrows so I was nervous about how much progress I took away. It's why I usually stick to just annual dusting. lol

I actually washed and DC'd w heat biweekly this past month! I know that only means twice, :lachen:, but I'm so proud of myself! I'm planning to keep up that schedule.

As of yesterday, I'm in my trusty minibraids/twists that I plan to just refresh until my next relaxer at the end of April.

LushLox

4 weeks post.

I did an overnight treatment with my Fabulosity Elixir and then washed and applied K18. Those two treatments combined has left my hair feeling silky and soft. If only I could do K18 ever week as the wash days are very easy

My ends are looking good. Needs to stay that way! I took off a fair amount last month as I like to start the year on a clean canvas.

Sosoothing

It's been 12 weeks since my last relaxer. I highly doubt i'll be relaxing soon. However, I can't make up my mind about what to do next. But I need to do something coz I've had these crochet braids for about 8 weeks. I want braids (individuals I do myself). And I also want to just redo the crochet braids. But I just got wigs too I want to enjoy. We'll see what time allows.

MzSwift

I just reviewed these two Ayurvedic condishes in another thread. As I was trying to think of how I would actually use them, it occurred to me that I could combine them and use them as my mid-step condish before neutralizing! One is proteiny and the other is like a hair emollient. They're so thick and creamy and they both smell sooo good, which I need after applying my relaxer. I'm super excited to try them for my next relaxer!

1708660078393.png
Vatika Olive oil condish

1708660113551.png
Vatika Coconut and Castor volumizing condish

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I just reviewed these two Ayurvedic condishes in another thread. As I was trying to think of how I would actually use them, it occurred to me that I could combine them and use them as my mid-step condish before neutralizing! One is proteiny and the other is like a hair emollient. They're so thick and creamy and they both smell sooo good, which I need after applying my relaxer. I'm super excited to try them for my next relaxer!

View attachment 494539
Vatika Olive oil condish

View attachment 494541
Vatika Coconut and Castor volumizing condish
You got these from Amazon?

MzSwift

Took down my mini twists after 4 weeks and 1 day. I was planning to refresh them and then I was gonna go back to my cornrows but we're meeting a new doc on Friday for my little one. So I'm in my trusty braided pigtails. Treated my scalp, drenched each side in conditioner and oil and then ponytailed and braided them up. I will keep them pinned up in the back of my head.

Not sure what I plan to do next. I'll be texlaxing at the end of April.