**Rollersetting 2012 Challenge**

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I googled and didn't find a 2012 thread. My hair (relaxed & double highlighted) thrives off rollersets. I rollerset faithfully twice a week.

Are you a rollersetter? Wanna join me in continuing the previous challenge, Rollersetting 2011? Feel free to post your reggie, tips, product recommendations, goals, or obstacles you need help getting over!

:welcome:

topnotch1010

My hair goal for next year: Full BSL. My hair is cut in 100 different layers.

Products: I use BB Foam Wrap mixed with my "old faithful" Lottabody & water. 2:1:1 respectively. I use the turquoise magnetic rollers and a pibbs 514. If I want my hair "flat iron straight", I roll on red.

Technique: I roll up instead of down because I fullness at the roots would be too much for my already big hair. I roll very taunt in the mohawk pattern and silk wrap for 10 mins afterwards to get rid of some of the curl.

Like I said in my OP, I am triple processed: Relaxed, color blocked and highlighted within the color block. My hair can't take much heat without falling to the floor and after I crossed APL, the weight of the buns started to give me headaches. The health of my hair depends on rollersets w/the occasional braid/twist out.

Anyone else???:look:

bebezazueta

Hey! Count me in!

I've been rollersetting weekly & pincurling or bunning during the week

I'm approaching MBL again & striving for whip & hip length next year!

My rollers of choice are the Diane plastic mesh rollers (1.5 in) & French bouffant mesh rollers (2 in). I'm getting a salonsrus dryer for Christmas so I'll be ready!

Oh I'm a bonelaxed henna head that's trying to keep the scissors at bay. :look:

Evolving78

count me in!

i roll once or twice a week
i wear my hair in a curly state, i use small to larger size rollers depending on how tight i want the curl
i use magnetic rollers, with metal clips
i use Keracare wrap foam lotion, keracare leave-in, and Fantasia heat protectant serum
i use keracare essential oil or keracare oil sheen to seal or add shine
i use Mizani Coconut Souffle and Biostrand Phorme' for moisture
i sleep with a bonnet with satin rollers or on a satin pillow case
i'm relaxed bone straight and i use Mizani regular

MrsHaseeb

I don't usually join challenges but I'm definitely interested in this one. I'm natural and I rollerset 1-2 times a week. I use aphogee keratin & green tea and elasta qp h2 to rollerset with and spray nightly with oil sheen before I wrap. I use magnetic rollers (although I would love to try the mesh ones) and the Babyliss Pro thermal ionic rollabout dryer (loves it!). The benefits are that I rarely see split ends and my hair stays moisturized between washes so I don't have to moisturize and seal. Since I'm natural my hair holds the best curl ever and its so full and thick.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

topnotch1010

My rollers of choice are the Diane plastic mesh rollers (1.5 in) & French bouffant mesh rollers (2 in).

bebezazueta One of my hair idols!! :grin: I saw that y'all were posting in the other thread about the 2" rollers. Aren't regular rollers about 2" too? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Do mesh rollers dry faster than magnetic rollers? Is this something that I should look into?

The only thing stopping me from buying mesh is I'm afraid that I couldn't get my hair sleek and straight on the roller. Any tips?

shortdub78 & MrsHaseeb thank you for joining me in this challenge!! shortdub78 your siggy pic is luscious!!

RoundEyedGirl504

I'm in, I am at EL/NL currently and I plan to roll my hair on rods weekly. I am relaxed and colored. I use Elasta QP design foam to set and plain water. Dry under the hooded dryer. I am trying to hit SL within the next 6 months while stretching my relaxer as long as possible.

bebezazueta

topnotch1010 get out! You are one of my hair idols. I am so humbled lady! Thanks you are so sweet!

Yes the mesh dry faster and I do get a smooth set even without end papers. Those Diane plastic mesh rollers gives you the sturdiness of a magnetic roller but the quick dry of a mesh. Oh and they are cheap and easy to find.

We are going to do some retaining ok. Rollersetting divas let's go

Napp

Ms. Nobody
im so in! i roll 1x a week but would like to bump it up to 2x a week. i also want to cut out as much direct heat as possible. i am strongly considering bonelaxing my next touchup

mstokes2008

I would really love to start rollersetting! Any suggestions for beginners?
Rollers, techniques etc?? All I have are curlformers but that's not the look I'm going for. I love my hair straight with some volume but want to cut down on the direct heat. I'm natural, about APL, and I have a basic of the basic bonnet dryer.

Shana'

I'm currently transitioning and will be using rollersets throughout. I use the Mohawk method now but I plan on doing ponytail and flexi sets when I get deeper into my transition.

I use Lacio Lacio and Keracare Foam, then seal that in with GVP Super Skinny. I set on 1.5 and 2-inch rollers.

Sent from my awesome EVO

Last edited:

TeeSGee

I'm In!! I've been Rollersetting for 2 mths and now i'm in love. my hair stays moisturized longer and I retain alot of length by doing this.

My hair goal for next year: Full WL.

Products: Revlon Equave Leave-in Conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion or Nairobi Foam wrap, 2" rollers, Seamless comb, Ponytail holders & Clips

Technique: Seperate hair into 9 sections, secure with pontail holder/elastic then rollerset and air dry overnight.

I've been doing this technique since Sept.1/2011 and I love how I'm able to have straight hair without any heat at all. If I'm into my stretch i will flat iron roots only and not length.

skraprchik

Thanks for starting this challenge!

I'm currently SL and aiming for APL this year, and natural. I've been getting back to roller setting and have done a few flex-rod sets in the past month. I didn't have much success with the magnetic rollers, but I will be trying again with the bouffant mesh rollers once the weather settles down. So, my stats:

Current length: SL
Goal Length: APL
Products: Cream of Nature Argan Oil Foam Wrap, fleix-rods, bouffant mesh rollers, whatever leave-in mix I come up with for keeping the hair moist
Techniques: I really am learning this part as I go. Flexi-sets are pretty easy to do. the learning curve is coming with trying to get my hair a little straighter with a mesh roller set.

I hope to remember to take pics as I go in 2012. I fell off on that in 2011.

lushlady

I would like to join. I am currently not a regular rollersetter, but I've been creeping around the 2011 thread now and then.

I will probably only rollerset twice a month at the most. I'm a natural. My next goal is full MBL. I don't have a regimen for rollersetting yet, but will think about and come back to update.

sapphire74

I am in on this challenge! I will be a newbie rollersetter! I will comeback with my rollersetting regimen once I come up with one!

LoveBeautyKisses

I think I will join. I've been interested in rollersetting for quite sometime.

My current legnth is Cbl-Sl

I have some Keracare foam wrap lotion that I will try with some water and con argan oil leave in. I may need a moisturizing liquid leaving In spray. Any Ideas???

Ill try once a week or biweekly.

I will u se the Goldnhot 1200 dryer.

Happy hair growing ladies

blueberryd

I wanna join also! I plan to start rollersetting 1-2x a week. I'm currently chin length and want to be full APL by 12/2012. I have flexirods, magnetic rollers, and Just ordered a salons r us dryer. I have lotta body setting lotion--but will be looking to you ladies for tips on other setting/conditioning products and techniques.

Loving

Can someone explain this challenge to me please? I am a newbie relaxer (tomorrow makes 2 weeks). I get may hair washed weekly and I rollerset and go under the bonnet dryer to dry. At nights I also roller set my dry hair - I love the bouncy look that I get from doing this.

I am confused with the posts I have seen so far as I see persons talking about all sort of products. Do I need to use these products when rollersetting my dry hair at nights? Plz help me :sad:

candy626

I definitely will be participating since I rollerset pretty regularly in between wash n' gos.

Products I currently use: I switch it up but I have been using Sally Jojoba Flat Iron Cream (though it's a flat iron cream it seems to give me really shiny rollersets), sometimes pure coconut oil and water, or sometimes Giovanni Direct Leave in (I plan no replacing this soon with a different leave in though)

Technique: I have going back in forth between using my 2 inch mesh rollers (not the French Bouffant but some plastic Italian Mesh rollers) and magnetic rollers

I currently relax every 12 weeks or so with a mild relaxer. I also color my hair here or there with permanent color.

topnotch1010

We are going to do some retaining ok. Rollersetting divas let's go

Judging by my color demarcation line at my roots, I have not been getting my .5" per month of growth, so keeping my ends are vital. As we all know, retention is key. WE WILL RETAIN EVERY INCH WE GET THIS YEAR LADIES!!:weird:

bebezazueta You're so sweet :bighug:

Can someone explain this challenge to me please?
I am confused with the posts I have seen so far as I see persons talking about all sort of products. Do I need to use these products when rollersetting my dry hair at nights? Plz help me :sad:

Loving I'm not a big fan of challenge rules because I always break them. This thread is for us ladies who utilize rollersetting as our primary form of styling and retaining our length. Here at LHCF, we're always looking for the best products and techniques, so we share what we're doing in hopes that it helps someone else or others can offer advice to help us get better results. And since one size doesn't fit all, some gems people throw out won't work for you while others can greatly benefit you. It's just a place to share and support each other.

As far as the dry rollersetting at night, I wouldn't use a lot of product. When I dry rollerset my crown, I don't use any product, other than the coconut oil that I use every night anyway.

topnotch1010

I would really love to start rollersetting! Any suggestions for beginners?
Rollers, techniques etc??

I didn't have much success with the magnetic rollers, but I will be trying again with the bouffant mesh rollers once the weather settles down.

the learning curve is coming with trying to get my hair a little straighter with a mesh roller set.

Any Ideas???

I have lotta body setting lotion--but will be looking to you ladies for tips on other setting/conditioning products and techniques.

My tips are:

(a) Make sure the hair is really wet when rolling. Damp hair will not stick to the roller and will not give you a sleek set. Make sure the hair is saturated with water or product when rolling and continue to re-saturate as you're rolling.

(b) Pay attention to which direction you're holding the hair while putting the roller on. It makes a big difference.

If you want volume at the roots, elevate the hair while rolling. **See diagram 1 at bottom**

For less volume, hold the hair straight out from the section at a 90 degree angle. You will only have slight lift at the roots. **See diagram 2**

To get the roots flat, as I like to do because I don't like volume and it helps me avoid puffy roots and a flat iron, use the indentation technique which is diagram 3 but put the roller on top and roll up instead of down. **See diagram 3**

(c) Roll with a lot of tension. Pull on the roller as you come to the scalp and pull the roller tight as you pin it. When you release it some of the tension will be released so it will be comfortable yet taunt. This makes for a smooth rollerset.

(d) When setting, either roll from one side of the head to the other or from the middle of you head going out (edges last, some call it the "mohawk") so you won't run out of room while setting and you can get all of the rollers in comfortably.

(e) Detangle with a wide tooth comb but part and smooth the hair with a fine tooth comb.

I currently relax every 12 weeks or so with a mild relaxer. I also color my hair here or there with permanent color.

:sweet:COLOR girls united!!

Attachments

• 45 forward.jpg
    45 forward.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 45 back.jpg
    45 back.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 281

skraprchik

My tips are:

(a) Make sure the hair is really wet when rolling. Damp hair will not stick to the roller and will not give you a sleek set. Make sure the hair is saturated with water or product when rolling and continue to re-saturate as you're rolling.

(b) Pay attention to which direction you're holding the hair while putting the roller on. It makes a big difference.

If you want volume at the roots, elevate the hair while rolling. **See diagram 1 at bottom**

For less volume, hold the hair straight out from the section at a 90 degree angle. You will only have slight lift at the roots. **See diagram 2**

To get the roots flat, as I like to do because I don't like volume and it helps me avoid puffy roots and a flat iron, use the indentation technique which is diagram 3 but put the roller on top and roll up instead of down. **See diagram 3**

(c) Roll with a lot of tension. Pull on the roller as you come to the scalp and pull the roller tight as you pin it. When you release it some of the tension will be released so it will be comfortable yet taunt. This makes for a smooth rollerset.

(d) When setting, either roll from one side of the head to the other or from the middle of you head going out (edges last, some call it the "mohawk") so you won't run out of room while setting and you can get all of the rollers in comfortably.

(e) Detangle with a wide tooth comb but part and smooth the hair with a fine tooth comb.

:sweet:COLOR girls united!!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely be trying them out when I roller set again.

freecurl

Strongly considering. I did 2 rollersets for the last 2 weeks and I couldn't get the rollers taut enough. I used 3 inch rollers, GVP Redken Anti-snap, chi silk infusion and sunflower oil as a leave in. My hair was so oily the second time. Also, I can't do a silk wrap, so I just flat ironed the roots only. Wanted to share pictures, but I can't seem to upload them.:perplexed

skraprchik

So I tried out the French Bouffant rollers for the first time today. Wow, what a difference. My roots were still poufy, but my length got wonderfully straight and the curls were good. Not good enough to post here right now, but it was a huge improvement over my experience with magnetic rollers and my natural hair.

13roots

I'm definitely signing on to this challenge because rollersetting is the only protective style that I can do at home by myself at the moment, and it has been a great way to style my short hair since I can't wear it straight yet.

I've been rollersetting for a couple of months now, 1x a week. I found some great videos on YouTube to help me get started. Two tips that helped me were looking for the right clips to hold the rollers down without sticking out, and learning the benefits of rolling up vs. down.

These two videos were very helpful to me -
MsKibibi - http://youtu.be/r2AX8KHMJyQ
1DolceJolie - http://youtu.be/P-t-Fok6Cv0

I use heavily diluted lotta body, ORS Wrap/Set Mousse and my newest secret ingredient which everyone else apparently already knew about is using a CREAMY LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER! The leave-in made all the difference for me with scrunchy hair in previous results. Now, it stays soft and moisturised for about 4 days before I feel the need to co-wash mid week. I use a table top hood dryer and usually sit under for about 45mins-1hr on medium heat. I sleep with a hair net, and lightly comb in the morning before work. I will graduate to pin-curls at some point to retain style.

My goal is shoulder length by August, 2012. I'm very hopeful as my hair grows very slowly, but rollersetting (and weekly steam DC) has helped me retain length that I previously lost to breakage.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
last weeks set. in an attempt to save time i got some jumbo flexi rods. it took me an hour to set because i had difficulty getting the hang of them. they took forever and a day to dry and i ended up taking them out and airdrying the rest of the way with mesh rollers. i do not plan on using flexis this big on a wet set again.

i flat ironed the roots

this weeks set. i think i am starting to get it down! it took me an hour to set! i think thats a record for me!

i got the rollers very taut but they still dried with alot of texture

i flat ironed the root lightly and put them on satin foam rollers to get a slightly smoother result.

my winning combo is diluted razac leave in with a little Elasta qp foam and Kera pro anti frizz elixir. i get shiny bouncy results every time:yep:

skraprchik

last weeks set. in an attempt to save time i got some jumbo flexi rods. it took me an hour to set because i had difficulty getting the hang of them. they took forever and a day to dry and i ended up taking them out and airdrying the rest of the way with mesh rollers. i do not plan on using flexis this big on a wet set again.

i flat ironed the roots

this weeks set. i think i am starting to get it down! it took me an hour to set! i think thats a record for me!

i got the rollers very taut but they still dried with alot of texture

i flat ironed the root lightly and put them on satin foam rollers to get a slightly smoother result.

my winning combo is diluted razac leave in with a little Elasta qp foam and Kera pro anti frizz elixir. i get shiny bouncy results every time:yep:

Seeing your roller set makes me feel a little better. I cannot figure out a way to get my roots any straighter than they have gotten. It was pretty good with the mesh rollers, but I still had to do some straightening to the roots.

topnotch1010

So I tried out the French Bouffant rollers for the first time today. Wow, what a difference. My roots were still poufy, but my length got wonderfully straight and the curls were good. Not good enough to post here right now, but it was a huge improvement over my experience with magnetic rollers and my natural hair.

I'm glad you found something that woks better for you!

Seeing your roller set makes me feel a little better. I cannot figure out a way to get my roots any straighter than they have gotten. It was pretty good with the mesh rollers, but I still had to do some straightening to the roots.

That's why I roll up (indention) instead of down. The roller is laying on top of my roots and helps to get them straighter and flatter.

Napp :wow: VERY PRETTY!

babyu21

I will be participating in this challenge. I have been using a lot of heat on my hair lately because I can't seem to sit still long enough for my hair to dry. Back on the roller set bandwagon for me.

I use a little leave in conditioner and some argan oil serum to set my hair. The lighter I am with products the better.