Self-Relax Support Thread

star

Thanks Aggie!

I decided self relax my hair today, because I have yet to find a stylist since moving to SC. I don't have the time to drive 2 hours to Atlanta to get my hair done. Also, I figure since I've started working out anyway, why pay $90 for a touch up for it to just get sweated out anyway. I am somewhat pleased with the results. I do have some underprocessed areas. I think that is due to not leaving it on as long in fear of that some areas will get over processed. I think I could have combed it through a little, but again fear got in the way. I hope the underprocessed areas dont' cause me problems. I have had underprocessed areas before when going to the salon or when having an in home stylist do it. I think I should be ok if I take extra care of those parts. I used ORS no lye, which what I've been using for years. My last touch up was in the middle of August at Salon Balisi (member here). She used Silk2 relaxer then, but my friend who used to be a stylist, has been using ORS no lye on my hair on the times that I don't go to the salon.

I did my own her last week with Silk Elements No Lye and my hair came out fine. I got tired of waiting for appointments and spending alot of $$$ to touch-ups. I am going back to doing it myself and will use the tips I got from here. I will just go to the hairdresser when I need my hair professionally done.

I know you will do a good job and just make sure you condition hair real good before and after perm.

Aggie

Thanks Aggie!

I decided self relax my hair today, because I have yet to find a stylist since moving to SC. I don't have the time to drive 2 hours to Atlanta to get my hair done. Also, I figure since I've started working out anyway, why pay $90 for a touch up for it to just get sweated out anyway. I am somewhat pleased with the results. I do have some underprocessed areas. I think that is due to not leaving it on as long in fear of that some areas will get over processed. I think I could have combed it through a little, but again fear got in the way. I hope the underprocessed areas dont' cause me problems. I have had underprocessed areas before when going to the salon or when having an in home stylist do it. I think I should be ok if I take extra care of those parts. I used ORS no lye, which what I've been using for years. My last touch up was in the middle of August at Salon Balisi (member here). She used Silk2 relaxer then, but my friend who used to be a stylist, has been using ORS no lye on my hair on the times that I don't go to the salon.

Congrats honey! Don't worry, it was your first time in a while relaxing your own hair. I under-processed mine my first try as well. A word of caution though, it's great that you did not comb the relaxer out as this will eventually over stretch your hair strands, they'll start to look thinner and thinner and eventually break off. It's better to smooth it out with the back of the comb or something like that, okay?

We don't want thin fine strands now do we? All in all, take care of the under-processed hair with lots of deep conditioning and some protein treatments for sure if you see breakage. Personally I don't use no-lye relaxers anymore becuase of the calcium deposits left on the hair and also, they thinned and dried out my hair terribly. MY hair holds a lot more moisture since switching to lye relaxers.

divinefavor

Thanks Aggie!!

My hair is naturally fine, so I definitely don't need it to get any more thinner. I'm afraid to use lye relaxers since I have sensitive scalp. But, I do remember a stylist telling me that my hair is dry and it's because of the no lye relaxers. She also said that my hair gets really tangled and that's from the calcium deposits from the no lye relaxers as well. She suggested that if I use no lye to use one with guanidine or something like that. I'm not sure if ORS has that in it though.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I have a question. I will be self relaxing my hair on Jan 1st. I plan to spray my hair prior with Silk Amino Acids concentrating on the new growth. I wondering what the order of processing should be?

1. base scalp
2. spray with saa
3. oil previously relaxed hair
4. apply relaxer to new growth only

What do you think? TIA! I also asked this question in the SAA thread.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Another question, what exactly is basing your scalp? I know I've been self relaxing forever and I never based my scalp. Does that mean around the edges only or actually parting too? TIA!

hairsothick

Black and Magical
Another question, what exactly is basing your scalp? I know I've been self relaxing forever and I never based my scalp. Does that mean around the edges only or actually parting too? TIA!

I do my edges, ears and and entire hairline. Then part my hair into quadrants to prep for the relaxer. I go through each quadrant and part and base the scalp, part and base, part and base. It's basically greasing the scalp before you relax lol

NYAmicas

Seeker
Well I'll be using a Lye relaxer on myself for the first time ever since it seems the No Lye is too drying. I hope I dont punk out!

Aggie

I have a question. I will be self relaxing my hair on Jan 1st. I plan to spray my hair prior with Silk Amino Acids concentrating on the new growth. I wondering what the order of processing should be?

1. base scalp
2. spray with saa

Hi Shay, I actually mix my saa in with my relaxer to aid in fortifying my hair strands throughout the relaxer process, however this is okay for you to do too. I do use Profectiv Break Free or Cantu Break Cure on my strands as fortifyers as well before the relaxer. As long as you use something with some protein in it should work. The steps you have here looks perfect as well.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thanks, Aggie. I have been back and forth with whether I would put the SAA in the relaxer. How much do you put in? A cap full?

prospurr4

1. base scalp
2. spray with saa

I think the order that you have listed should work out fine. I never base my scalp, but if I did, I would do it first. I do spray my hair with a product that contains saa, then oil my previously-relaxed hair, then of course, apply the relaxer to NG only.

I hope your touchup turns out great!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
^^Thanks! I'm excited but scared at the same time. I've never,ever, ever, ever only relaxed new growth. That's a new concept for me :)!

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

Aggie

^^Thanks! I'm excited but scared at the same time. I've never,ever, ever, ever only relaxed new growth. That's a new concept for me :)!

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

You're welcomed love. I put in about 2-3 of the red caps full and mix well. I may need to add a 4th cap for a more texlaxed effect though moving forward. Oh my, you might want to start relaxing just your new growth from now on though if you want to retain great length hair, okay?

baddison

natural for good
I will be self-relaxing this saturday (12/20/2008) after 3 years of being natural (Last relaxer was October 2005). I have completed my 6month hardcore C&G challenge (....7 months,really...:drunk:), and I am ready to move forward.

I want to thank all the ladies who were so giving and sharing with all the hints, tips, suggesstions, and ideas. I will be relaxing just before joining the BUN FOR GROWTH challenge for 6months (possibly the whole year of 2009...:rolleyes:)

I have chosen Mizani Butter Blends Mild/Fine/Colored as my relaxer of choice. I have purchase the entire line and every item in the set. Some have complained that this mild relaxer is a bit tooo mild. All the better for me. Not looking for bone straight anyway, since the hair is going to be hidden for the next 6 to 12 months. I will be taking my time, and only relaxing one portion of my hair at a time. I still have yet to choose between doing 3 sections or 4 sections. I will post pictures as soon as I'm done. They will be my starting pics for the BunForGrowth challenge.

I am so excited. With all that I have learned here, I am guaranteed to not make the same mistakes the first time I was relaxed. Thank you all so much.:yep:

prospurr4

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

You're welcome! Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, if you want to keep your ends healthy, apply that relaxer cream to new growth only and be sure to put oil or conditioner on your previously-relaxed ends as protection. I'm sure you'll do great!

Hairsofab

I haven't relaxed my hair in almost 2 yrs. And I just bought some phyto 2. So I'm starting on totally virgin hair. I cut off all my relaxed ends last year.

I was wondering, is it bad to put relaxer on my hair if its been straightened by a hot iron first? I usually flat iron my hair (it never gets straight-straight, just flat) once a week and braid it down. But the week I do my relaxer, I don't know if I should use a flat iron the week before.

prospurr4

I haven't relaxed my hair in almost 2 yrs. And I just bought some phyto 2. So I'm starting on totally virgin hair. I cut off all my relaxed ends last year.

I was wondering, is it bad to put relaxer on my hair if its been straightened by a hot iron first? I usually flat iron my hair (it never gets straight-straight, just flat) once a week and braid it down. But the week I do my relaxer, I don't know if I should use a flat iron the week before.

I wouldn't use heat on my hair so close to getting a touchup.

Disclaimer: I am totally anti-heat so my opinion might be a little..umm...biased. :look:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
You're welcomed love. I put in about 2-3 of the red caps full and mix well. I may need to add a 4th cap for a more texlaxed effect though moving forward. Oh my, you might want to start relaxing just your new growth from now on though if you want to retain great length hair, okay?

You're welcome! Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, if you want to keep your ends healthy, apply that relaxer cream to new growth only and be sure to put oil or conditioner on your previously-relaxed ends as protection. I'm sure you'll do great!

Yeah...ummm I knew I was only supposed to put it on new growth but I wanted my hair bone straight :nono:! I noticed recently when I was looking through pictures that April of this year my hair was a little past SL but thin. What happened? I stopped wearing a satin bonnet at night and my hair was breaking like crazy. New goal--healthy, silky, shiny, and full of bounce :grin:! If I can get it to BSL in the process that's even better!

Lady Esquire

Wow. Shay, Baddison, and to all of the ladies who will be self-relaxing soon, come back and let us know how it went. Share any new tips and discoveries.
I plan on doing my last relaxer sometime real soon, before Xmas. I will take pics too.

Last edited:

star

I had great experience going back to self-relaxing with Silk Elements and I save alot of money. I really happy right about now.

baddison

natural for good
I have competed my virgin relaxer as scheduled. You can check out my fotki for reviews. The fotki is not yet complete. I still need to add photos of the finished product which I will do shortly.

Just let me say that this was the BEST relaxing experience I have ever, EVER had! No hairdresser in the world could ever have done for me what I did today. I took my time. I relaxed in sections. I did not over process. I did not under process. Each section received the same care and treatment as the others. The mizani butter blends system is simply AWESOME. One caveat: ladies who want BONE STRAIGHT hair SHOULD NOT use the mild. Its more like a texturizer....no matter how long you leave it in. Its EXACTLY what I wanted!!! The hair is sooo soft, sooo smooth, sooo conditioned!!! Rave reviews for mizani butter blends. It is now my relaxer of choice!!!

Now granted, I started at 9:00am and didn't finish the entire process until 1:00pm in the afternoon, but my hair got the attention it needed, deserved!! It was simply lovely. And the culmination of the entire process was the DC w/heat with Aubrey Organics Honesuckle rose, mixed with some mizani hydrafuze, and a littel tresemme moisture vitamin E, and jojoba oil, and coconut oil. The mixture made my hair my hair thank me over and over and over again!!! BUTTER......:lick:

What more can I say. I had a wonderful experience. Plan on stretching initially at least 12 weeks. So in 3months, I will be enjoying this experience again.

Fortunately, I will be hiding my hair for 6months in the bunforgrowth challenge, so I will be reaping even more benefits with my hair.

Sorry this post is soooo long...Just wanted you ladies to know I had a wonderful experience, and even though it was my first virgin relaxer, it was easy!! No oooppss! No messups!

hairsothick

Black and Magical
I just wanted to come in and say that I used the lye version of ORS relaxer and I loved it. It didn't burn at all and my hair is soft and silky. I was scared because lye used to have me gripping the salon chair in pain, but this one is a keeper!

kittie43

I just wanted to come in and say that I used the lye version of ORS relaxer and I loved it. It didn't burn at all and my hair is soft and silky. I was scared because lye used to have me gripping the salon chair in pain, but this one is a keeper!

What strength did you use? I am curious about trying it.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Got my saa from Lotioncrafters yesterday. I'm all set to relax next Thursday after a 17.5week stretch. Can't wait!

baddison

natural for good
Thanks, LadyEsquire. I will be posting the finished results soon. I LLLOOOOVVVEEE my new hair!!!:lick:

I updated my FOTKI with some photos of the finished hair job. I am LOVING my progress so far. MT has really been a great boon for growth for me. Looking forward to more progress in 2009!!!:yep:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay I am so happy I am relaxing this week. It's like somehow I knew my hair could only tolerate 17-17.5 weeks. I've had no problems whatsoever but then my hair started to do some things today. I think its trying to let me know if I don't relax this week it will show its a**!