September 2016: Hits & Misses

JerriBlank

^^ I've been wanting to try that but can't convince myself that it's worth the cost.

Ulta had $5 bottles at checkout, and the $3.50 coupon worked on it. I picked up a couple, just in case. It was worth it to me with the coupon use. I know that ACV is super beneficial, but I just don't do well with my own mixes. This is truly just paying for convenience. If you have a nice ACV mix already, I wouldn't bother. Lol.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Miss:
The way my natural hair tangles and knots.

It's so serious, guys. I'm really down and discouraged. And I can't be a straight natural: It's too humid, hot, and rainy, and also I don't want to get addicted to constantly flat ironing and so forth. I think that would be really unhealthy over time. I try to keep my hair stretched now, but like the others at that thread on tangles/knots, for some of us this doesn't matter a lot. I'm going to try to last until I'm full MBL, then I'm going to go to the healthiest relaxer professional I can find here. Just found another strand of hair composed of like 20 strands that are webbed together and won't separate. I just did a full detangle a few days ago. Sigh . . .

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Miss:
The way my natural hair tangles and knots.

It's so serious, guys. I'm really down and discouraged. And I can't be a straight natural: It's too humid, hot, and rainy, and also I don't want to get addicted to constantly flat ironing and so forth. I think that would be really unhealthy over time. I try to keep my hair stretched now, but like the others at that thread on tangles/knots, for some of us this doesn't matter a lot. I'm going to try to last until I'm full MBL, then I'm going to go to the healthiest relaxer professional I can find here. Just found another strand of hair composed of like 20 strands that are webbed together and won't separate. I just did a full detangle a few days ago. Sigh . . .

How are you wearing your hair after you detangle? That may have something to do with it.

I tried to wash and go for a week and even after thoroughly detangling, my hair webbed by the second day.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How are you wearing your hair after you detangle? That may have something to do with it.

I tried to wash and go for a week and even after thoroughly detangling, my hair webbed by the second day.

Thanks for asking. I used to wear wash and go's, but decided to try something else to avoid tangling. So the past week I wore my hair in 6 twists under a wig after fully detangling. I took them down this weekend. Tangle city.

Now I'm trying a bantu knot -out to keep the hair stretched. I don't want to do crochet braids anymore. I've tired of them. I might have to if I have too much hair loss from detangling and de-knotting.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Thanks for asking. I used to wear wash and go's, but decided to try something else to avoid tangling. So the past week I wore my hair in 6 twists under a wig after fully detangling. I took them down this weekend. Tangle city.

Now I'm trying a bantu knot -out to keep the hair stretched. I don't want to do crochet braids anymore. I've tired of them. I might have to if I have too much hair loss from detangling and de-knotting.
That sucks. :(

In that case I honestly don't know what to recommend... Banding my hair kept it really stretched and detangled for a while. I wore it loose in the day and braided at night.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@YvetteWithJoy what are you using in your hair? I won't lie, I get tangles, but they are never discouraging. You just need to take more time to learn your hair and give it time to grow out. Maybe do smaller twist (9-12 each side) and find products that will agree with your protective styling. Not all products agree with protective styling. Have you tried using butters? What detanglers do you have that you can use on wet hair?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy what are you using in your hair? I won't lie, I get tangles, but they are never discouraging. You just need to take more time to learn your hair and give it time to grow out. Maybe do smaller twist (9-12 each side) and find products that will agree with your protective styling. Not all products agree with protective styling. Have you tried using butters? What detanglers do you have that you can use on wet hair?

Thanks for asking, @Saludable84.

The best thing I've put on my hair as far as detangling goes is the APB Protein-free Marshallow Root, Slippery Elm yaddah yaddah DC. I don't have anything with more slip, and I save SO MUCH hair with this stuff. I'm tempted to try Paul Mitchell's "The Detangler" because of the astonishing reviews! I'm wondering if it's still the same formula.

I usually put this on my hair:
1. DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (only thing I've found so far that defines my roots)
2. Oyin Hair Dew
3. jojoba oil
4. gel if I wash and go

About butters:
I bought some butters when I was wash-and-going a lot, and didn't like them. I haven't tried them much. Guess I should since I'm trying twisting and bantu knotting at the moment. I have:

1. KeraVeda Creme Brulee
2. Bekura Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Butter Cream
3. Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream
4. Uncle Funky's Daughter's Extra Butter (I think . . . I might have gotten the moisturizer instead)
5. TerraVeda's butter 
6. Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (or whatever it's called)

I think that's it as far as butters go. I was SO tempted to get that MHC Type 4 Creme everyone keeps mentioning of late.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@YvetteWithJoy I wasn't wowed by the detanlger or the conditioner. Just found it to be overpriced rinse out.

Does the DevaCurl work as a detangler? It would be a good way to detangle and reduce products.

It could be overall the combos you are using. I haven't tried the creme brûlée but I don't see that and the oyin hurting if you use those with butters. Play around with it, give it a while. Type 4 is yummy but with til BF.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I wasn't wowed by the detanlger or the conditioner. Just found it to be overpriced rinse out.

Does the DevaCurl work as a detangler? It would be a good way to detangle and reduce products.

It could be overall the combos you are using. I haven't tried the creme brûlée but I don't see that and the oyin hurting if you use those with butters. Play around with it, give it a while. Type 4 is yummy but with til BF.

Hugs, @Saludable84. Thanks!

Yeah: I looked at the price per ounce of the Type 4 cream and slowly backed away . . . :laugh:

I haven't tried to detangle with the DevaCurl One Condition too much. Just light finger detangling under the shower water with it. I'll try it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hit

Sarenzo whipped jelly. I was using on the little one as a butter balm but it's a little too thick. Used it to twist tonight and my hair is sheeny and pliable.

I should have gotten it in another scent though. I smell like baby powder. Well...it was for the baby,... lol.

Its humid in NJ. I should have taken my twists out later in the day but oh well. Lets hope it doesnt look too crazy by 12 pm.

Attachments

• 20160927_085020.jpg
    20160927_085020.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 30

Anaisin

Hit and miss: Cowashing this morning

My hair feels and looks great but it's cold outside and this wet hair doesn't help. At least I look cute because yesterday I looked a mess. My hair was stretched and it ended up raining. My hair was a frizzy and dried out. I was too sleepy to cowash last night

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@shawnyblazes Yaaaaaaas to those juicy twists. Looks pretty.

Hits:
Stretched hair- I'm really enjoying my hair being straight albeit with some reversion but that's ok! I'm just happy to get a break from knots. Will plan on either roller setting or blow drying to keep my hair as stretched as possible.

QB Burdock Root Cream
MHC Type 4 Hair Cream
TMN Banana Cream
Vitamin E Oil/Safflower Oil

Anaisin

@shawnyblazes Yaaaaaaas to those juicy twists. Looks pretty.

Hits:
Stretched hair- I'm really enjoying my hair being straight albeit with some reversion but that's ok! I'm just happy to get a break from knots. Will plan on either roller setting or blow drying to keep my hair as stretched as possible.

QB Burdock Root Cream
MHC Type 4 Hair Cream
TMN Banana Cream
Vitamin E Oil/Safflower Oil

I like it too but the weather won't let me be great :(