“setting To Success” 2016

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
:yep: It shows with your beautiful luscious locks.

I'm doing a henna rx tonight, so I'll be doing a braid out set (Five Celies).

I'll roller set in two weeks, during my next cleansing session. I'm excited to try the 1.6" French Rollers.

Sis does the braid outs for you take on a braid out texture? I'm finding after I wash and put my hair in 2 to 3 braids to dry...I still have my natural texture so it's more like a stretched wash and go. My natural hair texture is like...nuh uhhh I ain't going no where!!! I can only really remove it with rollers. LOL

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@lulu97
Yes it does take on
Sis does the braid outs for you take on a braid out texture? I'm finding after I wash and put my hair in 2 to 3 braids to dry...I still have my natural texture so it's more like a stretched wash and go. My natural hair texture is like...nuh uhhh I ain't going no where!!! I can only really remove it with rollers. LOL
It ends up looking something like this. These are not good pix, so I'll take some when I unbraid the set of Celies, I'm doing tomorrow.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 You know you need to do more than 2-3 braids if you want your hair to take on the braid pattern texture. I feel like our texture is similar. When I do braid outs I have to do 8 braids.

Unfortunately, it takes me about 30 minutes to do that, and it takes me 45 minutes to rollerset, so I just got ahead and roll.

I agree with this entire post...the thing is doing 2 to 3 braids takes me about 5 minutes. At this point in my hair care game.... I'm fine with that. LOL

LdyKamz

I set the middle of my hair with flexi rods and twisted the sides and put them into Bantu knots. I used shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk, it's a 10 smoothing balm serum and a tiny bit of Eco styler. I had no reason for using this combo initially but I noticed the curl and style milk refreshed my hair (I love this as a leave in) and the serum gave my hair so much slip and made my curls pop. I so did not expect that but really liked how easy it was to smooth my hair on the flexi rod. I added gel because I want this style to last until at least Wednesday and the humidity won't let me be great.

I haven't separated and will probably just pick it out a little each day until I'm ready to wash again. I really liked that the twisted Bantu knots gave me practically the same look as the rest of my hair.

Attachments

• 20160604_153828.jpg
    20160604_153828.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20160604_153540.jpg
    20160604_153540.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 20160605_115849.jpg
    20160605_115849.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160605_115853.jpg
    20160605_115853.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I set the middle of my hair with flexi rods and twisted the sides and put them into Bantu knots. I used shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl and style milk, it's a 10 smoothing balm serum and a tiny bit of Eco styler. I had no reason for using this combo initially but I noticed the curl and style milk refreshed my hair (I love this as a leave in) and the serum gave my hair so much slip and made my curls pop. I so did not expect that but really liked how easy it was to smooth my hair on the flexi rod. I added gel because I want this style to last until at least Wednesday and the humidity won't let me be great.

I haven't separated and will probably just pick it out a little each day until I'm ready to wash again. I really liked that the twisted Bantu knots gave me practically the same look as the rest of my hair.

Pretty!!!!

Janet'

@KammyGirl Cute!

Happy Sunday Lovelies!!!:2inlove:

So...I'm still here...still on full FMLA but inching towards being able to return to work for at least half days...What that means for hair is that I have been keeping it braided. My friend comes and re-braids every week and half to two weeks. Yesterday, I pre-poo'ed, set under the steamer, and then got my hair washed, blow-dried, and re-braided...I also gave myself a little trim (very necessary). I don't know how much my hair has grown, but I feel like it should be healthy. Coconut oil is my saving grace-- for my hair, skin, I slather it on errthang!! :spinning::spinning:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My short term goal is to set on the first day of summer so I can evaluate my ends and dust/trim as needed.

I have been thoroughly enjoying my spring/summer roller setting break. :headspin: My wash days have been so easy breezy...literally taking me less than an hour from start to finish compared to 3 when I set :hide:.

I have also been enjoying my Enjoy Luxury shampoo and conditioner set...Mannnnnnn my hair has feels straight up smooth and silky ...like I finally know what people mean when they say "like butta". I've been using it for 2 straight washes then going in with my Joico on the third wash. I'm so satisfied with my product choices! :headspin:I do want to buy a few of the Enjoy deep conditioners but will hold off until I'm finished with the deep conditioners I currently have. Boo to being a responsible hair product grown up :lachen:

Last edited:

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
My pern rod sets for March, April & May were disasters. Humidity, humectants, and rain are the culprits. In a few hours I went from this: 20160202_171602.jpg
To this: 20160203_190910.jpg
This time I finally got a set to last for more than a few hours.
I used these: 20160530_204231-1.jpg
to get this:
20160523_091956.jpg20160523_091939.jpg It didn't revert at the end of the day.The previous 2 pics were at 9am. This picture was at 8pm:
20160523_200557.jpg
The set lasted through four days of humidity and gym workouts. I wore 2 flat twists pinned around my head on the last day.

My next set was scheduled for this week. My area is under a storm advisory. Hurricane Season won't let a sista' be great :drunk:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
My pern rod sets for March, April & May were disasters. Humidity, humectants, and rain are the culprits. In a few hours I went from this: View attachment 363017
To this: View attachment 363023
This time I finally got a set to last for more than a few hours.
I used these: View attachment 363025
to get this:
View attachment 363041View attachment 363043 It didn't revert at the end of the day.The previous 2 pics were at 9am. This picture was at 8pm:
View attachment 363045
The set lasted through four days of humidity and gym workouts. I wore 2 flat twists pinned around my head on the last day.

My next set was scheduled for this week. My area is under a storm advisory. Hurricane Season won't let a sista' be great :drunk:
You and have thick and luscious hair. :drool:

You may need Sabino Moisture Block or the Keracare Humidity Blocker spray.

L.Brown1114

For the ladies that use a moisturizing shampoo what exactly am I suppose to be looking for results wise? I need a new shampoo before I am able to do a perm rod set.

But not sure what I should be expecting. Every time I use one my hair doesn't feel clean. There's a "film" on it. Like washing dishes with cold water. Is that what's suppose to happen? Are some hair textures just not able to use anything but normal shampoo?

toaster

Here's a picture of my hair after I took it down from a top knot. I flat ironed on 360 degrees so it never got super straight, but it's much smoother than my normal roller set. When I stretch the length it goes to the middle of my butt. When I wash next week I'll probably trim 2 inches.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 68

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Let me just come in here to praise roller setting Jesus.

I had the longest wash day (because of an 8 hour henna session) and I'm now sitting under this Laila Ali bonnet dryer with curlformers in. I started trying to use the French rollers but was Way too tired for experimentation.

But I did kind of experiment. I used a silicone serum (Paul Mitchell Super Skinny) and Hydroquench Greaseless Moisture mixed with Sabino to set.

I just took down a roller and my hair is almost dry (needs maybe 15 more minutes) but these curls are sleek and soft and amazing. Man I wish I'd found this earlier.

I was struggling before with using too much Moisture Block and getting sets that were a little stiff, but this feels like heaven. I'm so excited for it to dry. Then I can maybe take some decent pictures and actually join this challenge.

L.Brown1114

@toaster
No my hair doesn't feel "filmy" when moisturized. If that's the case then I need to get my healthy.sexy.hair sulfate free moisturizing shampoo back. That's exactly how it left my hair. I stopped because I was being a product junkie and had no idea what to expect from the product