Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Before, I used to say that I can recognize a person who is using Shea butter based upon the thickness and the length of their hair. Now, I realize I need to add one more thing: the darkness or blackness of the hair.

Shea Butter Grown Hair tends to be:
  1. Unusually thick!
  2. Unusually long!
  3. Unusually dark/black?

I think the black isn't in the works for me. I dyed my hair black back in June, now I have plenty of medium brown new growth. It's light in the sunlight, and I can see a definite reverse ombre on shed strands. I had hoped that using shea butter would darken it, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe it just needs more time.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I think the black isn't in the works for me. I dyed my hair black back in June, now I have plenty of medium brown new growth. It's light in the sunlight, and I can see a definite reverse ombre on shed strands. I had hoped that using shea butter would darken it, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe it just needs more time.

I think you may be comparing apples to oranges in this case. The changes of thickness, length and blackness tend to be seen in hair that has not undergone any chemical treatments and is completely natural. Hair coloring is a chemical treatment. Henna and indigo also change the hair, but the process is different.

So, I think that you have changed the chemical structure of your hair and impacted the melanin granules in your hair. Although your hair color is lovely, and your hair is pretty, technically, the part of the hair that has been colored has been damaged forever.

Shea butter should be able to impart a glorious shine on your hair, that's different as that pertains to the surface of the hair strand. Coloring hair can and does impact the smoothness of the surface, but, Shea butter can have a positive impact on that.

As it pertains to darkening the hair, it may. But, it's not likely. The dyed hair can become shinier and richer in the ombre color, but not blacker. Thus, what you may want to look for is darkening of the hair that has not been dyed.

There's no microscope at Chez Chicoro, so I could be totally off-base. Keep an eye on your hair, and please let us know what transpires, as it relates to the colored hair possibly darkening in the future.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
As it pertains to darkening the hair, it may. But, it's not likely. The dyed hair can become shinier and richer in the ombre color, but not blacker. Thus, what you may want to look for is darkening of the hair that has not been dyed.

There's no microscope at Chez Chicoro, so I could be totally off-base. Keep an eye on your hair, and please let us know what transpires, as it relates to the colored hair possibly darkening in the future.

To clarify, the colored hair was dyed jet black - so I don't expect it to get darker! My roots are very light (perhaps maybe just in comparison) but medium-light brown. I wanted those to darken up, I don't much like the color of my natural hair which is why I always dyed it jet black. I hoped it could naturally darken so it wouldn't stand out so much against the hair that was dyed black, or just be that color in general.

Chicoro

To clarify, the colored hair was dyed jet black - so I don't expect it to get darker! My roots are very light (perhaps maybe just in comparison) but medium-light brown. I wanted those to darken up, I don't much like the color of my natural hair which is why I always dyed it jet black. I hoped it could naturally darken so it wouldn't stand out so much against the hair that was dyed black, or just be that color in general.

Thank you for the clarification. I completely misunderstood about what you wanted to darken. There is a real possibility that your natural hair may darken. Keep us posted, please!

Chicoro

I'm sniffing my palms...

I just finished squeezing and straining out the coffee oil. It smells so good. I thought I would have too much, but it turns out my jar tilted over and all the oil spilled out into the bag and onto the floor.

But, I was able to salvage about 1/2 cup. To ensure it mixed well with my Shea butter, I melted the Shea and coffee oil using a double boiler. I put it in the fridge and I will whip it tomorrow.

I was inspired from post #160 from @ElevatedEnergy . I have placed the coffee oil and Shea in the first post of this thread, under, "Things We've Learned About Shea in 2019."

LivingInPeace

These twists are long, thick and full! They all look perfectly even, too!
They look thick in the picture but they’re actually mini-twists. And I have two twists, both near my hairline, one on the left and one on the right that are only about three inches long. I’m in a full panic that is only assuaged by multiple glasses of champagne. I don’t know what to do.

Chicoro

They look thick in the picture but they’re actually mini-twists. And I have two twists, both near my hairline, one on the left and one on the right that are only about three inches long. I’m in a full panic that is only assuaged by multiple glasses of champagne. I don’t know what to do.

Did you twist your hair wet with Shea or dry? And, did you add Shea to the ends or from root to tip?

LivingInPeace

Did you twist your hair wet with Shea or dry? And, did you add Shea to the ends or from root to tip?
I had previously washed my hair and applied shea from root to tip. A few days after having my hair loose I decided I wanted mini twists which I do maybe once a year. I didn’t put any new product on my hair when I twisted. Two days after I put in my twists I spritzed each end of my twists with water and sealed with my shea butter mix.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
This is fairly new to my Shea Routine. I haven't played around with it much other than applying it to my scalp (like how we used to grease our scalp back in the day). I've used it twice now that way.

I talked a bit more about my plans for it on Page 2: Post 41.

I was trying to dupe this product:
https://www.theinnatelife.co/products/normalscalptreatment

They suggest applying their product on your scalp as a pre-poo treatment and leaving it in overnight. That's the next way I want to use it.

Once a get a solid routine down for it, I'll update the thread....like I said before, I'm still experimenting.

Updating this & @Black Ambrosia My crown was not feeling Queen Shea applied directly to my scalp. I didnt notice it until wash day, but when I was manipulating that area it was very tender. No ma'am....I don't play about my scalp, so I wont be using it that way anymore.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have not henna'd/indigo'd my hair since August 2018. I wont be bothered with it again until absolutely needed & I'll probably only spot treat.....but hopefully thats many, many years down the road (I'm trying to embrace my true hair color but I aint ready to embrace too much grey hair) :lachen:At just a few months shy of 40, I only have 1 or 2 grey strands in my crown. Thankfully, I'm one of the few where Shea has made my natural color appear darker & greys are few and far between. Please oh please stay that way!!!! :angeldevil:

This is my natural dark brown color without henna/indigo.

image.jpg

I'mma save this post to my tablet, so I can remember to do a full year comparison photo of the color difference in August 2019.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I found out that I can’t use Oyin Hair Dew (contains Shea) and pure Shea on my hair at the same time. It makes my hair hard and I get a lot of little pieces. I either have to use the Hair Dew and HBCO, or something that doesn’t contain Shea and use Shea on top.

Prisangela

Washed & Roller Set today. This is right after removing the rollers:

View attachment 441359

View attachment 441361

View attachment 441363

But I got goals to meet so I seperated the curls, Shea'd it UP & bunned it DOWN!

View attachment 441365

HOLLLLLLAAAAA!!!!!

*sorry if the pics are huge*
WOW! I need ti get back on my rollersetting grind...these two kids take up all my time :cry3:

Chicoro

For all my talk about length gains, I've had some significant breakage since I started on my Shea journey in late December, 2016. Instead of looking at it as failure, I try to look at breakage as my hair trying to communicate to me what works and what does not work.

I have some breakage that I got from losing an 'entire, whole curl', more than once. My hair breaks easily around and at the nape. Because of that breakage, I paid attention and made some adjustments. I listened, learned and modified my actions based upon the needs of my hair.

Here's my breakage:

Damage1.JPG Damage2.JPG Damage3.JPG Damage4.JPG

I think it is a significant amount, especially if it had continued to break. But I use things like this to better educate myself about what my hair is trying to communicate to me.

As a direct result of this breakage, I lost about 20+ inches of hair that took at least 4 years to get to the length. BUT, I was able to see that my hair curls within the braids and then becomes matted. So now, I consciously search out that situation.

There is no guarantee that it won't happen again. There is also no guarantee that another challenge won't crop up. But as was stated so clearly upthread, that's why this is called a,
"Hair Journey".

So, don't beat yourself up if you have what looks like a set-back. It's part of your hair education. If you pay attention and make adjustments, you hair will greatly reward you by responding with health and length retention.

Shea butter helped me understand how clumping can be good and bad. So, I clump when I braid, but de-clump when I need to finger detangle before I re-braid again.

It's easy to feel discouraged and hard to see the positives sometimes. But if you give up, you will never get where you are trying to go. Just don't give up!

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
WOW! I need ti get back on my rollersetting grind...these two kids take up all my time :cry3:

Thank you. My two youngest (15 months & 4) are my motivation to roller set. :look::lachen:I know it's going to take a while, so I look at it as my "me time" from them. I be like gone on with dad nih...mom needs to do her hair and it's gonna take a few hours!

I take my sweet time too! LOL

periwinklepeach

Hello ladies, I've been lurking in this thread for the past few months and slowly stepping up my shea game.

Last night I had a dream about applying whipped shea to my hair while riding the bus, so I figure it's time to make a post here.

I get my shea in a tub with the yellow label from the BSS and just scoop a bit, melt it in my hands, and apply to my hair over some Elasta QP Mango Butter. About 2 months ago I started applying to the entire length, and for the past 2 wash cycles I've been putting a tiny bit on my scalp, which tends to get very dry. I wash every weekend and usually re-moisturize mid-week with aloe vera juice and re-seal with shea or black castor oil. I used to have strands that broke in the middle, but that hasn't happened for a while now. I also had a lot of breakage at the last 1/2 cm of the strands, but that is much better too. My SSK are much better, but they're still around. I've mostly made peace with them.

I tried to do a length check last weekend but I got distracted after I measured the first section so i'll try again this weekend. I'm just past bra strap length in the back and around 3 inches past chin length in the front. I'm hoping to get to waist length, even though I'm not entirely sure what the difference between that and mid back length is. I feel like my waist is in the middle of my back lol.

Chicoro

Hello ladies, I've been lurking in this thread for the past few months and slowly stepping up my shea game.

Last night I had a dream about applying whipped shea to my hair while riding the bus, so I figure it's time to make a post here.

I get my shea in a tub with the yellow label from the BSS and just scoop a bit, melt it in my hands, and apply to my hair over some Elasta QP Mango Butter. About 2 months ago I started applying to the entire length, and for the past 2 wash cycles I've been putting a tiny bit on my scalp, which tends to get very dry. I wash every weekend and usually re-moisturize mid-week with aloe vera juice and re-seal with shea or black castor oil. I used to have strands that broke in the middle, but that hasn't happened for a while now. I also had a lot of breakage at the last 1/2 cm of the strands, but that is much better too. My SSK are much better, but they're still around. I've mostly made peace with them.

I tried to do a length check last weekend but I got distracted after I measured the first section so i'll try again this weekend. I'm just past bra strap length in the back and around 3 inches past chin length in the front. I'm hoping to get to waist length, even though I'm not entirely sure what the difference between that and mid back length is. I feel like my waist is in the middle of my back lol.

Queen Shea got you out her dreaming about her!

It's official. You are one of us, now!

Chicoro

I made my Shea Coffee Butter. It came out gorgeous. There are tiny specks of ground coffee in it. So, it looks like vanilla ice cream. I soaked some coffee beans in sunflower oil and spilled 90% of the oil. But, I had just enough coffee infused oil. The coffee oil smelled absolutely delicious. The coffee smell has dissipated and is almost completely gone. That's okay. I'm going to use exclusively on my body, until the butter is completely gone!

SheaCoffee 1.JPG SheaCoffee3.JPG SheaCoffee2.JPG

@ElevatedEnergy , thanks for the recipe!

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Weired Fact: Humans can become saponified like Shea butter :eek:

Let me explain...

Like Shea fat, human beings can also saponified, too! When human beings 'get soapy', it is referred to as adipocere. Certain specific conditions must be present. Women and children, due to having more fat in their bodies, are more likely to form adipocere than men. From the YouTube video: ADIPOCERE aka CORPSE WAX (Ask a Mortician)
I love Ask a Mortician!! Been subscribed for a while now.

caribeandiva

Human being
I realize why they call it a journey because there's twists and turns on the way to discovering your next step. It's exciting to discover something new isn't it? I am so passionate about the journey I've taken my neices(both natural) under my wing so they can have long luxurious hair too. People think my neices hair is a wig because it's so thick long and pretty now. B4 me she had broken off dry hair now it looks like a curly unit. *pats self on back*

My skin is the biggest shocker. It's so soft and blemish free. From head to toe(thanks to exfoliating and queen shea)
Love it!! :clapping:Thank you for sharing.

Chicoro

Let the radiant Shea Skin begin! Alright @VictoriousBrownFlower and @ElevatedEnergy ,

I'm starting my exfoliating, applying Shea Coffee oil journey today! My burn scars are almost 2 years old, not 3 as I mistakenly thought. But still...I got on my furry onesy, so I'll keep all that greasy delight contained on my skin and covered - and not have it get on my sheets! And, can I add the fact that I have my electric blanket, too. Me and myself and I are going to be tearing UP some sleep tonight!

I count the hours until I can get back to my electric blanket for another night's GREAT sleep! I sleep so good now, one night I woke myself up because I was clapping so hard, with my hands in the air. :giggle: I guess whatever I was dreaming about must have been an exciting performance.