Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Chicoro, Dec 28, 2018.

?

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

1. Top of shoulder length

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Collar bone length

11 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Armpit length

16 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Between armpit and bra strap length

31 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Bra strap length

26 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Between bra strap and waist length

23 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Waist length

34 vote(s)
    21.4%
  8. Whip length

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. Hip length

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Tailbone length

16 vote(s)
    10.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. water_n_oil

water_n_oil Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Quite true. I love it but we could survive without it. I'd end up eliminating it for the whole house as it's just easier than to worry about accidentally exposing someone. We've eliminated certain foods and things because of DD2s allergies already.

2. Chicoro

Chicoro Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I still say your household is winning! Look at how you are showing that baby that she is valued by eliminating things entirely. With that kind of early indoctrination those babies of yours are learning, from seeing and by action, how important they are. They are also learning to be mindful of their bodies and to be aware of what is and what is not beneficial to them or to their physical bodies. Those are incredible lessons to which to be exposed. Your children are blessed to have a mother such as yourself.

3. VictoriousBrownFlower

VictoriousBrownFlower Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    beautifully said @Chicoro

4. water_n_oil

Blog Posts:
    Aaaand confirmed. She got her hair wet during her bath tonight. I hadn't washed it yet to get existing shea out and she broke out on her neck and chest. Guess that means we're officially hopping off the shea train. I'll stick around to support you shea unicorns though.

Ty for the kind words @Chicoro :D

5. caribeandiva

caribeandiva Human being

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that. Good thing you caught it early.

6. ElevatedEnergy

ElevatedEnergy Rooted Yet Flowing

Blog Posts:
    Washed and all Shea'd up!

For now, I'm washing twice a week and slathering my hair in Shea Butter right after. I don't have to do anything to it inbetween those days except wrap my hair at night to keep it laying down nicely. I'm not sure how long I'll keep this twice a week washing up, but I'm out in my Garden alot sweating or just doing tons of work outdoors so my hair needs it right now. Shea keeps me nice and slick in the meantime!

7. apple_natural

apple_natural Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    i rinsed out my conditioner early this morning and put on my 24k. its in a bun

8. Chicoro

Blog Posts:
    I'm visiting my friend. She says, "I have something I got for you. "

She pulls out a bag. In it are two (2) brand spanking new , 1 kg containers of Shea butter. As a bonus there is one smaller jar of cocoa butter.

My Shea butter stash increases again to 4 kg. That's about 9 pounds!

The blessing is that I continue to be gifted with Shea butter and have not bought any other in two years.

9. sheanu

sheanu Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I've had crochet braids for the past two plus months. The postpartum shedding seems to be slowing a bit so I think I'm going to wig for the rest of the year and treat my hair to some much need shea love.

10. leleepop

leleepop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    It's weird because I bought Shea before, and it broke me out. I bought the unrefined kind, and it agreed with me . I bought it again and it broke my out, so did Shea Moisture, but my daughter has no problem with neither of these items. So I use the Shea on her, and mango butter for me. She cant use Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose either, but I have been using it for years. I was thinking maybe it was the shrimp I was eating because I actually cut that out recently. I want Shea to work so bad but mango is good too Thank God. I might have to see.

11. water_n_oil

Blog Posts:
    DD1 hasn't had a single rash since eliminating shea a week ago. To go from daily rashes to none certainly confirms it for sure.

12. Chicoro

Blog Posts:
    This evening I went to the grocery store and checked out through self service. The lady that was overseeing the area said to me as I was leaving,

"Excuse me, is that Shea butter in your hair?"

I said, "Yes, it is."

She said, "I could smell it." Then she asked, "Is it good for the hair [too]?"

I said, "Yes, it helps to strengthen and protect the hair to make it flexible and retain length."

She had her hair in a top bun, in a cute protective style. I was surprised she could smell the Shea butter because it was a mix it cocoa butter, coffee oil and lemongrass essential oil. It's my body mix but I am low on my simple hair mix.

13. Chicoro

Blog Posts:
    Oh, horses like Shea butter, too! I visited a horse stable this weekend. One horse in particular was licking and sniffing my head and hair!

He even nipped at one of my braids, trying to get the taste of the butter from my hair. I must say that my hair was freshly done and I had packed on a glob of Shea butter on each braid.

14. IDareT'sHair

IDareT'sHair Not Hittin' Paynah

Blog Posts:
    Using Phyto's Phytokarite Deep Conditioner (felt butterly amazing under steam:lick:).

Also continuing to use my Pre-Made Shea Mixes and Blends (trying to get them down before re-mixing my own blends)

15. Chicoro

Blog Posts:
    Alright ya'll, we've fallen into Fall! We've got 4 months left on this Shea Train. I say, if you are going to ride, you might as well ride hard. Saddle up and let's head on out to the end of the year. Let the sunshine reflect off our Shea'd manes, our hair, not the horses, as we head toward 2020!

16. Chicoro

Blog Posts:
    I haven't mixed down a batch of Shea butter in at least 1 month. I have been itching to heat straighten my hair. I'm trying to wait until February. Honestly, I don't think I've gained that much length. I think my hair has been thickening up at the current longer lengths that I gained in 2017 and 2018. I don't see my hair dropping to longer lengths. It seems to be at a standstill. I just keep going on faith.

I do know I am no longer losing whole strands and breaking off my ends from tangles. Shea butter has definitely helped with that. For that, I am grateful! I am still amazed at the ease in which I can unbraid my hair even after it has not been touched in a week or two. My massive, matted tangles have become a thing of the past with Shea butter.

17. BeautifulRoots

BeautifulRoots Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I've been taking the protective styling to heart. Been braiding my hair up and putting it in buns after wash day. I only wear my hair out about 2 or 3 days vs 10 days after wash day. Keeping the ends shea'd up and making sure to moisturize and seal with shea every few days. Hoping this helps with retention.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  18. leleepop

leleepop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Update, I'm back to using shea butter, and thinking it was beeswax breaking me out. I was using it as a sealant. Now I seal with mango, so far so good. Is there any other good sealant like beeswax that you guys know about?

19. ItsMeLilLucky

ItsMeLilLucky Aka Giveme D’Monee

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Only thing I can think of is Grease, Shea, or Castor Oil.

20. MyAngelEyez~C~U

MyAngelEyez~C~U Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Still using Shea in my conditioner mix, been doing wash n gos for the past month. Hair seems to be doing fine.

21. MyAngelEyez~C~U

MyAngelEyez~C~U Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Cleansing today with rhassoul/bentonite clay mix with a bit of cacao powder for the chocolate scent. Deep conditioning with Shea moisture Manuka deep conditioner and a bit of fenugreek/growth oil mix, Camille Rose Honey Leave-in, and sealing with Shea to bun for the week.

22. SunkissedLife

SunkissedLife basking in the sun

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I totally understand!! Sooooo I did a thing and didn’t want to pay/wait for my good stylist not did I trust anyone esp not the Dominicans everyone goes to in my area hah!!! So I demo (read tried it and returned back to Sally’s) the ion steam blow dryer — my goal was to avoid super crispy ends and dried out burnt smelling hair.

Pros: no burnt hair smell!! Minimal breakage. It did feel reallllly thick and healthy though. And everyone said so. Because I wasn’t a fan I ended up wearing it in buns and two jumbo loose flat twists w some hair jewelry for a look.

Negatives: some breakage. See the unevenness (mostly just my crown that had broke off a while ago). Full but not super straight — Didn’t fully satisfy my straight hair craving felt like I wanted to flat iron after. worse — the realization my hair is exactly the same length it was 3 years ago (darn you Facebook memories!) albeit it’s a lot thicker and healthier

this winter I’m going to be serious about hydration, protection, and Queen Shea. I can wait til next summer to be cute

23. Keen

Keen Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My friend who does my crochet did my hair yesterday. She was commenting how much my hair grew. It's been at least 9 months since she last did my hair but it's good to know I've made enough progress for others to notice. I contribute my progress to this thread and the henna gloss thread.

24. caribeandiva

caribeandiva Human being

Blog Posts:
    I’m almost out of whipped Shea butter. I’m dreading making a new batch because I hate the cleanup! I’ll do it though because Queen Shea has been more than good to me.

25. MizzBFly

MizzBFly Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My husband has co-opted my shea :lachen:talking about it works so good for my hair...lol the other night he took a swipe from his hair and applied to his lips talking about “see what I can do with this?”....:rolleyes: umm sir, it’s my mix and yes Shea is dual purpose.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM
  26. MizzBFly

Blog Posts:
    So... I got a trim in July about an inch. I have comparisons from March (no trim) & July (trim) I tried to be consistent with a white shirt but I have to start using a ruler cause dis tew much eye acrobatics! December here I come! but I won’t straighten.
    860BF5DD-C2E3-4833-A9E4-CF232E14DC8D.jpeg B5DE23AF-0B70-4191-8039-42ECD83DEBA7.jpeg 4B90689C-B941-4ECD-A6BB-262AA0755EED.jpeg 972A404F-E5E7-4850-86E8-F10CBC008A80.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:19 AM
  27. caribeandiva

caribeandiva Human being

Blog Posts:
    Your hair is so pretty!! I gotta admit I can’t tell which ones are the before pictures. The bathroom mirror ones? I say that cuz in the other ones your hair looks longer. I guess I just answered my own question. :lol:

28. MizzBFly

Blog Posts:
    You are Correct! :lachen:@caribeandiva You win 1lb of Shea for you acute eye flip and backspin! :spinning:

I noticed my hand is lower down my back in the b/w pants soo yeah:look: that’s all I got. Ruler will be utilized for my next wash

29. caribeandiva

caribeandiva Human being

Blog Posts:
    :lachen::lachen:

IDareT'sHair, MizzBFly and Chicoro like this.
  30. Chicoro

Blog Posts:
    upload_2019-9-10_18-42-9.jpeg

I see we are blowing life back into this thread! Good!