Spinoff: Ask a WSL and Beyond Lady

Lucia

WL Ladies do you get scared someone will cut your hair or something? I've heard stories about kids cutting off ponytails and whatnot but as you get older is this something you still worry about?

No, I've heard some horror stories but the odds are low, unless you fall asleep in a theatre with your hair in a ponytail in India and have type 1 hair or naturally straight hair I don't have type 1 hair so I'm not worried.
Now the odds of having 6-10 inches hacked off in a salon is much greater, trust me unfortunately I know. Besides I see tons of ladies all different races with WL and beyond hair wearing out daily and not worrying about it.

Any WL ladies think they will grow to HL just because?

Yes that's my final stop once I "officially" claim WL again.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
any waistlength ladies who transitioned that have tips for long term transitioners? regimens? hair care ? products?

bump

lolascurls

any waistlength ladies who transitioned that have tips for long term transitioners? regimens? hair care ? products?

bump

Hi, hon! I transitioned over 2 years and 8 months and was MBL when I started my transition, Hip length when I finally was ready for the transition chop.

I think the main thing with long-term transitioning when starting with longer hair is to ensure you keep the demarcation line strong (with regular protein deep conditioning) and blend the hair in your styles.

I did not use heat at all throughout my transition but I learned other ways to stretch my hair: curlformer sets and African threading method were 2 very good ones.
Early on in the transition, I practiced a few curly looks like bantu knot-outs and braid outs with curls set on the ends. As the transition continued, I used protective styles like box braids and kinky twists to simulate thicker natural hair I could bun.

For the last year, I played with the curlformers, African threading method and two-strand twists using my own hair. The latter was my go-to style and I would do updos and buns that became thicker and thicker!

I stress the importance of having good moisturizing routines for each style (I was a spritzer and sprayer - water and aloe vera juice followed by oils).
I actually forgot to check the length as much after I got to waist length and suddenly in May, I was hip length (2 months before the chop).
I took off an inch then and grew it back before the final transition chop.
My hair was BSL-MBL after chopping and already is almost back to waist length.

You can do it! :grin: And keep us up to date, hon!
:yep:

JosieLynn

Wanted to ask the WSL ladies what were some of their biggest setbacks on the hairgrowth journey and how long did it take for them to recover from a setback? Love this thread by the way. I've been lurking for a long time and I'm fairly new to the forum but I appreciated all the advice that was given in this thread.

Jewell

I, for one, will grow at least to HL and then keep growing. Ive been WL while transitioning and now Im WL texlaxed closing in on WHIP faster than I'd ever imagined.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Wanted to ask the WSL ladies what were some of their biggest setbacks on the hairgrowth journey and how long did it take for them to recover from a setback? Love this thread by the way. I've been lurking for a long time and I'm fairly new to the forum but I appreciated all the advice that was given in this thread.

I think I was lucky because I never encountered a set back & pray I never do. That can be so depressing.

marta9227

I never encountered a setback either and continue to pray I don't. I think the key has been a consistent reggie in my technique. Product-wise I'm a bit of a PJ but I generally only use one new product at a time so I know if it's an issue. As a result I have a cupboard full of unopened, unused products but I will get to them, lol!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

Ms. Tiki

JosieLynn I had two setbacks. The first was being scissor happy and cutting my hair uneven. No biggie. The second was using the Nexxus Promend products to deal with my splitends instead of just trimming them off. The promend fused all of my ends together and I ended up cutting over an inch off. If I would've just trimmed, I would've lost 1/2" max. smh at myself. Other than that my grow out has been uneventful in a good way.

Lucia

JosieLynn

I'm glad you like this thread, that's what this thread is about.
I had setbacks that were my fault most recently BKT, it was just too drying on my hiar and I had to cut alot off. I refer to it in my fotki when I cut.
Most of my setback were from scissor happy stylists (SHS), at very crucial points in my hair journey a SHS cut 6-8 inches off my hair. Once was when I was 1st relaxed my hair was past waist, I had BSL natural hair within 6 months my hair was neck length.

Another time while I was on my hair journey, I went to a stylist for a wash blowdry flat iron, I didn't go to the place I usually went form trims with the only person who only cut what I asked for. (my mistake) I was BSL she said my ends were a little thin and I needed a trim, well that trim was actually a haircut that put me back to shoulder length and my ends weren't damaged they were just uneven.

I also went to a stylist who gave me the flat iron I asked for, but then when I told her I didn't want a trim, I had just had one, she came up behind me with some scissors to start cutting.
I stood up to look at the back of my hair and I caught her with scissors in hand, mouth open looking at me with surprised look on her face. I gave her a look, and told her she should give people only what they asked for and what was she doing? She was worried, she backed down and said some excuse also told her manager about it.

Since then I S&D, trim, cut my hair myself, I'm DIY when it come to my hair I don't let any stylist near it.
Take the time to know your hair likes dislikes, once you get a good regimen down pat, stick to it don't fall for the new or new to you fad product of the week. When I got off the PJ bandwagon for good my hair amazed me with the growth results.
Here's the one great piece of advice I read: no one will take care of, love, or know your hair better than you.

JosieLynn

JosieLynn I had two setbacks. The first was being scissor happy and cutting my hair uneven. No biggie. The second was using the Nexxus Promend products to deal with my splitends instead of just trimming them off. The promend fused all of my ends together and I ended up cutting over an inch off. If I would've just trimmed, I would've lost 1/2" max. smh at myself. Other than that my grow out has been uneventful in a good way.
how often were you using the promend? I know I tried the nexxus stuff for awhile but I just didn't like how stiff my hair felt after awhile. So I slowed down until i stopped using it all together. I think I might have been doing overkill

Ms. Tiki

how often were you using the promend? I know I tried the nexxus stuff for awhile but I just didn't like how stiff my hair felt after awhile. So I slowed down until i stopped using it all together. I think I might have been doing overkill

JosieLynn I was using it 1-2 times per week. Not to often but often enough for it to glue my good ends together:sad:

luckiestdestiny

to be continued. I am too tired to write lol. Thought I could but need sleep:grin: So I had to go back in and edit.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!

Omg!!!!! I knew that Promend was the devil!!!!! It did me the exact same way too!!! Wth is wrong w/ that product??? I had 2 people slowly removing a matted tangle mess so that I could salvage as much hair as possible. smh

FoxxyLocs

I'm still WL. I've never had a setback, but I haven't been retaining due to constantly trimming my ssks. Right now I'm in a PS challenge to try to get to HL. My ends are much more fragile at this length so I really have to focus in order to get to the next milestone.

JosieLynn

Are any of the current WL ladies one that bc'd?? I know of a few who transitioned but I didn't transition and I'm looking for someone who bc'd and grew their hair to WL. That might be why I've had a few setbacks. I was starting from super scratch lol

Jewell

Are any of the current WL ladies one that bc'd?? I know of a few who transitioned but I didn't transition and I'm looking for someone who bc'd and grew their hair to WL. That might be why I've had a few setbacks. I was starting from super scratch lol

I have never encountered a setback, thankfully, and postpartum shedding has never reared its ugly head with either of my children. My first transition was for 9 months, during my pregnancy with my daughter (11/2007-07/2008). Here's what my hair has done in gen over the last 6+ yrs. I chopped my MBL relaxed hair to a faux hawk only 3" long in the top and 1/2" long on the sides in sept. 2007. By my bc before delivery in july 08, it was APL...

I BC'd to a twa in july 2008, then relaxed my hair 4 mos later in nov. 08. It had grown to APL again by 11/2008 (virgin relaxer). By JULY 2009 I was ready to transition again. My hair was BSB at that point. I grew it out for 18 months, and in Jan 2011 BC'd AGAIN. BY THE TIME I BC'D in jan 2011, my hair had grown to waist length. I chopped and was left with APL natural hair. kept growing it and in june 2012 got a virgin relaxer. My hair was MBL june 2012, and grew to WL by nov 2012. I will mention I was pregnant from march to dec of 2012 and had some very fast growth, about an inch a month. My texture was also softer but the ng grew in thicker.

My last tu was nov 2012 and I decided to relax in june because my natural hair had become too much work. I knew I was having another baby and did not have the time or patience (or energy) while preggers to deal with natural hair. Im glad I relaxed because with a 2 month old and 4.5 yr old I need easy-to-style hair. Currently, my hair is past WL with some hefty NG.

Last edited:

Lucia

JosieLynn

I BC'd years ago before my HHJ, before I found the boards. The only thing I knew were basics and that relaxers weren't good for my hair. My mom chopped my hair to 2-3 inches all around, then I got braids, medium sized (width of pinky) rows with extension hair of course. I did that for a couple years, my hair grew back to shoulder length I left the braids in too long, didn't DC enough didn't trim my ends. I didn't have the knowledge, regimen or techniques to grow it further. I switched to braiding my hair under weaves/wigs and I found the boards from then on of course once I got through the setbacks I mentioned before I was on my way and it was easy, I just had to stick to my regimen and be patient.

here's some links:
LH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wFWeUg4r8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVC2DFVdsQU

MC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDY9oplY9pE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61J4JlwTtFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_Kdl6oyQ0

Extremus

I love to rollerset and would love to continue to throughout my journey, but feel like it may be impossible to do once I reach a certain length.

Is there any regular rollerset-ers? I don't see too many WL women who rollerset at all. If so, which [magnetic] rollers do you use?

naija24

I have never encountered a setback, thankfully, and postpartum shedding has never reared its ugly head with either of my children. My first transition was for 9 months, during my pregnancy with my daughter (11/2007-07/2008). Here's what my hair has done in gen over the last 6+ yrs. I chopped my MBL relaxed hair to a faux hawk only 3" long in the top and 1/2" long on the sides in sept. 2007. By my bc before delivery in july 08, it was APL...

I BC'd to a twa in july 2008, then relaxed my hair 4 mos later in nov. 08. It had grown to APL again by 11/2008 (virgin relaxer). By JULY 2009 I was ready to transition again. My hair was BSB at that point. I grew it out for 18 months, and in Jan 2011 BC'd AGAIN. BY THE TIME I BC'D in jan 2011, my hair had grown to waist length. I chopped and was left with APL natural hair. kept growing it and in june 2012 got a virgin relaxer. My hair was MBL june 2012, and grew to WL by nov 2012. I will mention I was pregnant from march to dec of 2012 and had some very fast growth, about an inch a month. My texture was also softer but the ng grew in thicker.

My last tu was nov 2012 and I decided to relax in june because my natural hair had become too much work. I knew I was having another baby and did not have the time or patience (or energy) while preggers to deal with natural hair. Im glad I relaxed because with a 2 month old and 4.5 yr old I need easy-to-style hair. Currently, my hair is past WL with some hefty NG.

How is that even possible?? you went from TWA to APL in 7 months??? That is beyond normal.

I no longer feel silly or guilty for chopping my hair off 4 times.

I wish my hair would grow half that fast. Also, did you feel guilty for TWAing and then going relaxer less than half a year later?

Jewell

How is that even possible?? you went from TWA to APL in 7 months??? That is beyond normal.

I no longer feel silly or guilty for chopping my hair off 4 times.

I wish my hair would grow half that fast. Also, did you feel guilty for TWAing and then going relaxer less than half a year later?

My hair was 4-5 inches long stretched though I called it a twa. Its possible because when I say apl, my hair just touched my armpit at the ends. Apl on me from the nape of my neck is only like 7 inches. Anybody with average growth can go from 4-5 inches at afro length to 7-8 inches at the back in 7 months. My natural hair had a good 80% shrinkage so unstretched, it was a TRUE TWA. Granted not all of my hair was the same length when I hit apl cuz I'd chopped it, the majority was that length, with the front and top being more like neck length.

ETA: I was preggers from 11/07-07/08 as noted in my original post, so growing from a faux hawk to APL is not difficult to do in 9 months considering how fast and thick most ppl's hair grows during pregnancy, plus the additional factor of taking in more food/protein, and taking prenatal vits.

My hair grows about 1/3-3/4" a month on average. There have been months when it has grown an inch a month but Im not always consistent with my vits and growth aids (topical). I now have another newborn so Im glad I relaxed at 3 mos preg last yr (virgin relaxer). Once again, my natural hair is too time consuming. But once my baby is older (like around 2yrs) I will happily transition again.

He is only 2.5 mos now so with lack of sleep and constant feedings, I need easy to do hair. Plus, Im actively growing it out and as a natural, I was plagued by ssks...I barely have to trim while texlaxed. Thanks for your questions!

And no, I didnt feel bad relaxing 4 mos later cuz I had a newborn baby at the time (born july 08, chopped july 08, texlaxed 11/08) and didnt have the extra time or energy to devote to natural hair. Anyone who says its low-maintenance either wears a fade, a small fro, or doesnt comb it!!!

Last edited:

naija24

My hair was 4-5 inches long stretched though I called it a twa. Its possible because when I say apl, my hair just touched my armpit at the ends. Apl on me from the nape of my neck is only like 7 inches. Anybody with average growth can go from 4-5 inches at afro length to 7-8 inches at the back in 7 months. My natural hair had a good 80% shrinkage so unstretched, it was a TRUE TWA. Granted not all of my hair was the same length when I hit apl cuz I'd chopped it, the majority was that length, with the front and top being more like neck length.

ETA: I was preggers from 11/07-07/08 as noted in my original post, so growing from a faux hawk to APL is not difficult to do in 9 months considering how fast and thick most ppl's hair grows during pregnancy, plus the additional factor of taking in more food/protein, and taking prenatal vits.

My hair grows about 1/3-3/4" a month on average. There have been months when it has grown an inch a month but Im not always consistent with my vits and growth aids (topical). I now have another newborn so Im glad I relaxed at 3 mos preg last yr (virgin relaxer). Once again, my natural hair is too time consuming. But once my baby is older (like around 2yrs) I will happily transition again.

He is only 2.5 mos now so with lack of sleep and constant feedings, I need easy to do hair. Plus, Im actively growing it out and as a natural, I was plagued by ssks...I barely have to trim while texlaxed. Thanks for your questions!

And no, I didnt feel bad relaxing 4 mos later cuz I had a newborn baby at the time (born july 08, chopped july 08, texlaxed 11/08) and didnt have the extra time or energy to devote to natural hair. Anyone who says its low-maintenance either wears a fade, a small fro, or doesnt comb it!!!

I want so badly for my hair to grow out!! I grow at about the same rate as you, but my problem has always always been retention. Now that i'm back to natural, I hope I can resist doing anything crazy with my hair until I'm at least NL, which I hope to reach by August of this year.

I'm so jealous of people with TWAs that are 4 inches long. that's like 6-8 months of growth for most. If my TWA was 4-5 inches, I'd just keep it that length and do wash and gos and straighten however and never worry about it.

Last edited:

Jewell

I want so badly for my hair to grow out!! I grow at about the same rate as you, but my problem has always always been retention. Now that i'm back to natural, I hope I can resist doing anything crazy with my hair until I'm at least NL, which I hope to reach by August of this year.

I'm so jealous of people with TWAs that are 4 inches long. that's like 6-8 months of growth for most. If my TWA was 4-5 inches, I'd just keep it that length and do wash and gos and straighten however and never worry about it.

Im sorry to hear that! Do you protective style? I ps about 99% of the time, and have done so for the last 8 yrs. Maybe that is how I have grown and retained so much despite cutting my hair off 3 times since 07. The last time I wore my hair out regularly (hanging down), it was late 2004.

Once I stumbled upon LHCF in early 05, I got into PS'ing majorly. Plus, eventhough I like my hair real long, it makes my back too hot to wear it down when Im moving about. It is like having a piece of wool fabric on my back. Buns and twists using clips are just more convenient and comfortable, especially during the warm, humid months here.

naija24

Im sorry to hear that! Do you protective style? I ps about 99% of the time, and have done so for the last 8 yrs. Maybe that is how I have grown and retained so much despite cutting my hair off 3 times since 07. The last time I wore my hair out regularly (hanging down), it was late 2004.

Once I stumbled upon LHCF in early 05, I got into PS'ing majorly. Plus, eventhough I like my hair real long, it makes my back too hot to wear it down when Im moving about. It is like having a piece of wool fabric on my back. Buns and twists using clips are just more convenient and comfortable, especially during the warm, humid months here.

Well, I put in braids about two weeks ago. I am hoping to keep it in by late March even though I really hate them haha! It makes me way too hot! I think if I get my 2 inches in hair, I may just do cornrows (if work allows it) until it grows out more. I just hate feeling hot.

BostonMaria

@JosieLynn I did :drunk:

My hair was shoulder length when I did the BC (transitioning for 10 months). I cut my hair and had like 5 inches of hair so I wasn't even nape length LOL It took about 3 years... maybe a little less than that.. for my hair to grow out to waist length. I almost reached tailbone but I keep cutting it.

Please note that prior to going natural my hair never grew past shoulder length. Some hair can thrive with relaxers, my hair did not.