spinoff: high porosity hair

faithVA

[USER=49021 said:
MD_Lady[/USER];19191073]What do differences in the way your hair responds to conditioning say about its porosity? I've always thought I had high porosity hair because it can NEVER be over-conditioned (I can deep condition overnight with the thickest of moisture masques and my hair will always :yay: in the morning). In terms of other characterstics, it takes my hair over an hour to completely air dry and it absorbs moisturizers better when it's wet/damp.

Honesty that would not be enough for me to really tell you your porosity. However, if your hair likes really thick conditioners, you are probably not low porosity. My initial guess is that your hair is normal porosity. I think if your hair was high porosity it would dry much quicker than it does.

Last edited:

MD_Lady

Honesty that would not be enough for me to really tell you your porosity. However, if your hair likes really thick conditioners, you are probably not low porosity. My initial guess is that your hair is normal porosity. I think if your hair was high porosity it would dry much quicker than it does.
Hi @faithVA! :hiya: Based on the list provided eariler in the thread, I'd say these are definitely true for me:

High Porosity
Overly absorbs water, color, & hair products
Requires lots of moisture
Responds well to emollients
Takes on color quickly, but it fades fast
Is fragile
Prone to breakage with too much water immersion
Easily frizzes and tangles
Loves oils and creamy moisturizers/sealants
Strand feels somewhat rough
It's still hard for me to figure out what I really am because some characteristics from other categories are also true for me too- I have to run water on my hair for at least a minute before it's saturated
and seems to be fairly tolerant of protein (protein has never made my hair dry or brittle). And as far as drying my hair goes, it stays slightly damp for an hour or so after towel drying, but I've also never let it COMPLETELY air dry (without towel drying) to see how it behaves. Since I'm back to being natural, I'm trying to fine tune my troubleshooting for when my regimen gives me "unexpected" results. ;)

faithVA

Hi @faithVA! :hiya: Based on the list provided eariler in the thread, I'd say these are definitely true for me:

It's still hard for me to figure out what I really am because some characteristics from other categories are also true for me too- I have to run water on my hair for at least a minute before it's saturated
and seems to be fairly tolerant of protein (protein has never made my hair dry or brittle). And as far as drying my hair goes, it stays slightly damp for an hour or so after towel drying, but I've also never let it COMPLETELY air dry (without towel drying) to see how it behaves. Since I'm back to being natural, I'm trying to fine tune my troubleshooting for when my regimen gives me "unexpected" results. ;)

The list on this site can be hard to go by. Many of the things on the high porosity list hold true for low porosity as well. I'm pretty sure you aren't low porosity but someone with high porosity hair would have to share whether they think you are high or normal.

bellatiamarie

tashboog I have been wearing the marley braid hair bun a lot... And mini twists...I can usually get a nice mini twist out to last for one day... Any of the other "-out" styles that I try just leave me disappointed... And living in Florida doesn't help the struggle.

Eta: my profile picture is a mini twist out... Lasted 1 day.... Whomp whomp:ohwell:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
tashboog I have been wearing the marley braid hair bun a lot... And mini twists...I can usually get a nice mini twist out to last for one day... Any of the other "-out" styles that I try just leave me disappointed... And living in Florida doesn't help the struggle.

Eta: my profile picture is a mini twist out... Lasted 1 day.... Whomp whomp:ohwell:
bellatiamarie I know exactly how you feel. I usually do a lot of marley hair buns and loose twist cuz I know I can't even get 1st day hair :lol:. It doesn't even matter how much I layered products cuz initially it starts out looking real good, but then almost immediately the atmosphere sucks out all of my moisture and turns it into a poof ball :lachen:! Btw..your hair in the profile pic looks totally cute even though it only lasted you one day :grin: :lol:.

BonBon

I've been through a horrible time in the past 2-3 months where my hair was so dry and would NOT pick up my moisturisers. It was SOOOOOO dry and felt horrid.

I talked to Komaza and they were like "have you started the protein like we told you".:look:

I had tried Aubrey GPB and ORS a few times,but I guess they were too light. I've used Aphoghee 2 min re-constructor on the last two washes and my hair is now starting to accept moisture again/feeling soft.:grin:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I've been through a horrible time in the past 2-3 months where my hair was so dry and would NOT pick up my moisturisers. It was SOOOOOO dry and felt horrid.

I talked to Komaza and they were like "have you started the protein like we told you".:look:

I had tried Aubrey GPB and ORS a few times,but I guess they were too light. I've used Aphoghee 2 min re-constructor on the last two washes and my hair is now starting to accept moisture again/feeling soft.:grin:
Sumra its funny that you've posted this cuz I was just thinking that I need to get back to doing protein treatments. My Komaza consultation advice was that I need to do a protein treatment every 2 weeks, but why haven't I been doing it cuz I thout that I didn't need it :look:. This could be the reason why my hair is so dry plus I've only been concentrating on moisture. I'm going to try Claudie's Hair Revitalizer normalizing conditioner first. It has a nice mix of proteins and moisturizing ingredients. If I don't notice any improvement after using this product, then I will try the ApHogee 2 min reconstructor since I have some in the back of my closet. I won't know for sure how my hair will respond until I'm back on my normal hair regimen (I'm currently in puffy twist extensions). But I will keep you and the other ladies posted :yep:.

faithVA

I found that the light proteins or balanced conditioners are great to use in between reconstructor uses but they can't replace them. So I use a reconstructor at least once a month and then if I choose I use a lighter protein in between.

I'm low porosity but even my hair needs a good reconstructor in the regimen. I notice the difference almost immediately.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
IDK if I may be high porosity...maybe normal to high. My hair does dry pretty fast. If I leave my hair out for about 1.5 hours, it will be 80% dry.

My hair likes thicker moisturizing creams even though the strands are on the finer side. It also tolerates protein very well.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
IDK if I may be high porosity...maybe normal to high. My hair does dry pretty fast. If I leave my hair out for about 1.5 hours, it will be 80% dry.

My hair likes thicker moisturizing creams even though the strands are on the finer side. It also tolerates protein very well.
Froreal3 Hey hair twin :grin:! When I got my hair analysis, they told me that I have normal to high porosity and fine to medium strands so your hair porosity may be similar to mine. Our curl pattern is almost exactly the same :yep:. However, I think mine is more high than normal so I'm treating all of my hair like its high porosity. My hair dries pretty fast too in fact my hair air dries in less than 1 hr without products :lol:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Update time ladies :grin::
So faithVA told me about a product I should try to help with my porosity. Well I've finally bought it and I absolutely love it! It's the Claudie's Revitalizer Normalizing conditioner. Its to help strengthen, moisturize, and normalize the hair. Let me tell u about this shsss here! It does exactly what it says :yep:. My hair is finally retaining moisture, and I have been struggling with my hair and porosity for awhile. I was so excited about it working that I bought some more on black friday. This will now be apart of my regimen cuz my hair loves it. I'd recommend any of you ladies that are struggling with ur hair to give this deep conditioner a try. It can't hurt to at least try it, and if u end up not liking it then u can send ur unused product to me :lol:.

NGraceO

Update time ladies :grin:: So faithVA told me about a product I should try to help with my porosity. Well I've finally bought it and I absolutely love it! It's the Claudie's Revitalizer Normalizing conditioner. Its to help strengthen, moisturize, and normalize the hair. Let me tell u about this shsss here! It does exactly what it says :yep:. My hair is finally retaining moisture, and I have been struggling with my hair and porosity for awhile. I was so excited about it working that I bought some more on black friday. This will now be apart of my regimen cuz my hair loves it. I'd recommend any of you ladies that are struggling with ur hair to give this deep conditioner a try. It can't hurt to at least try it, and if u end up not liking it then u can send ur unused product to me :lol:.

I just started using porosity control as a final rinse for this same affect. Have definitely seen a difference:)

NGraceO

pinkness27

Hey guys, I have high porosity with low elasticity hair. I'm currently in corn rows. Do you think it would be ok if I used a moisturizing leave in spray in the morning and the apoghee protein leave in spray in the night. Or is that too much protein? TIA!

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I've halted my leave-in search and haven't been using a leave-in conditioner for about a week now just aloe vera juice and oil. I think my hair might just not like a leave-in because no matter what I've tried, my hair dried out. Some Vo5 conditioners and Silk Dreams Wheat Germ conditioner are the only ones that came close to keeping my hair moisturized. After 30 days I'm to post before and after pics. Good luck ladies.

ronie

I've halted my leave-in search and haven't been using a leave-in conditioner for about a week now just aloe vera juice and oil. I think my hair might just not like a leave-in because no matter what I've tried, my hair dried out. Some Vo5 conditioners and Silk Dreams Wheat Germ conditioner are the only ones that came close to keeping my hair moisturized. After 30 days I'm to post before and after pics. Good luck ladies.
I am high porosity, and silk dreams wheat germ butter is my HG leave in. I apply on damp ( not wet) hair. I quickly seal with a butter mix ( SD mocha bling or Oyin whipped Shea butter). My hair stays soft and smooth for a good 2 days. I have tried many many many leave ins, and this is the best for my hair.

ronie

Hey guys, I have high porosity with low elasticity hair. I'm currently in corn rows. Do you think it would be ok if I used a moisturizing leave in spray in the morning and the apoghee protein leave in spray in the night. Or is that too much protein? TIA!
pinkness27, from my experience with MY hipo hair, you can never use too much protein as long as you balance it with a good moisturizing product. However, I wouldn't recommend you try that routine on hair that is not loose. You will not be able to assess the results to make adjustments. I would suggest the moisturizing leave in everyday, and the aphogee every 2-3 days. I personally can do aphogee everyday. My hair loves protein like that. I lightly spray the product on my hair and apply a moisturizing cream then seal with a butter. But my hair is loose 3 days out of the week, so I can monitor wether it's getting too much protein or not. HTH. Good luck.

ronie

Update time ladies :grin:: So faithVA told me about a product I should try to help with my porosity. Well I've finally bought it and I absolutely love it! It's the Claudie's Revitalizer Normalizing conditioner. Its to help strengthen, moisturize, and normalize the hair. Let me tell u about this shsss here! It does exactly what it says :yep:. My hair is finally retaining moisture, and I have been struggling with my hair and porosity for awhile. I was so excited about it working that I bought some more on black friday. This will now be apart of my regimen cuz my hair loves it. I'd recommend any of you ladies that are struggling with ur hair to give this deep conditioner a try. It can't hurt to at least try it, and if u end up not liking it then u can send ur unused product to me :lol:.
tashboog, the normalizing conditioner saved my hair. I reviewed it many times in the Claudine's thread in the vendor s forum. I have tried roux, ACV rinses, multiple protein treatments. This conditioner was the only thing to correct my porosity issues. I used it weekly at first. Now I only need it once a month if that. I am glad it works for you.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
tashboog, the normalizing conditioner saved my hair. I reviewed it many times in the Claudine's thread in the vendor s forum. I have tried roux, ACV rinses, multiple protein treatments. This conditioner was the only thing to correct my porosity issues. I used it weekly at first. Now I only need it once a month if that. I am glad it works for you.
ronie I absolutely love this DC! I've also tried Roux PC conditioner, ACV rinses, & other stuff as well but this is the only thing that has worked. How long should I use it weekly? So far I've been using it weekly but I'm too scared to try another dc cuz I'm scared my hair won't act right :look:. My hair is now only gradually poofing rather than instantly poofing :lol:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
pinkness27 I've recently removed puffy twist and I tried using a protein spray and a mousturizing spray but I had no way of knowing how much protein my hair needed. My roots turned extra crunchy when I sprayed my protein spray at night. faithVA told me to not mess with the protein spray while in a long term protective style. Stick with the moisturizing spray then do a protein treatment the week after removing ur cornrows. This is what I did and my hair did well with minimum breakage.

Last edited:

ronie

ronie I absolutely love this DC! I've also tried Roux PC conditioner, ACV rinses, & other stuff as well but this is the only thing that has worked. How long should I use it weekly? So far I've been using it weekly but I'm too scared to try another dc cuz I'm scared my hair won't act right :look:. My hair is now only gradually poofing rather than instantly poofing :lol:.
I did it weekly for about 4-6 weeks. Then my hair started getting a little crunchy, as if I just did a protein treatment. So I switch to using it as a prepoo on top of my evco, wash, then dc again with a moisturizing product. I continue to have great results, so I started skipping the prepoo. My hair did fine, when I stopped using. So for good measure, i use it monthly or if my hair feels porous, starts to break for no reason, or just does not act right. My point is your hair will tell you when to stop the weekly treatment.
One other sign was that, my hair was taking a little longer to get saturated with water on wash days. I don't want to become lopo, lol. I just want to be normal. I have not done a treatment since September after my flat iron. I will do one tomorrow though, cause my breakage has been gradually increasing.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I did it weekly for about 4-6 weeks. Then my hair started getting a little crunchy, as if I just did a protein treatment. So I switch to using it as a prepoo on top of my evco, wash, then dc again with a moisturizing product. I continue to have great results, so I started skipping the prepoo. My hair did fine, when I stopped using. So for good measure, i use it monthly or if my hair feels porous, starts to break for no reason, or just does not act right. My point is your hair will tell you when to stop the weekly treatment.
One other sign was that, my hair was taking a little longer to get saturated with water on wash days. I don't want to become lopo, lol. I just want to be normal. I have not done a treatment since September after my flat iron. I will do one tomorrow though, cause my breakage has been gradually increasing.
ronie Thanks for the good advice. I will listen to my hair, but so far so good. I will use it for 4 weeks then move on to one of my moisturizing dc's. I will definitely keep the normalizing conditioner in my stash :yep:.

loulou82

TamaraShaniece

I use a lot of natural products for my hi po hair.

ACV rinses
Naturelle Grow Marshmallow Root Slippery Elm... Conditioner
Aubrey's GPB
Silk Dreams Shea What Deux
Silk Dreams Wheatgerm Butter Conditioner *as leave in*
Purabody Naturaks MMMM
Purabody Naturals Cupuacu Butte
Komaza Protein Strengthener
Hemp butter
Avocado butter and oil

Shampoo (diluted)
Keracare Hydrating Detangling
Design Essentials Moisture Rrntention
Elucence Moisture Balancing

My hair doesn't do well with glycerin or aloe vera. Shea butter and coconut oil have to be mixed well with other ingredients or low on the ingredients list.

pinkness27

Washed my hair with roux shampoo. DC'ed with Claudine's for 30 mins and then Aubrey Organic's honey suckle. Hair is still dry lol. Whyyy.

mshoneyfly

My henna gloss mix twice a month and products containing hydrolyzed keratin are the two things that keep my cuticles in check.

pinkness27
A good moisture balancing remedy is an Australian pink clay masque. I get the powder from butters n bars and add warm water, oils, Tresemme Naturals and anything else I want to add like AVJ or raw honey. Its really wonderful! I know my hair is at the optimum moisture level when my NG curls pop like crazy. This happens everytime I do the masque. I will do another one as soon as I take down my braids. I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Washed my hair with roux shampoo. DC'ed with Claudine's for 30 mins and then Aubrey Organic's honey suckle. Hair is still dry lol. Whyyy.

pinkness27

I have the same issue w/ NaturelleGrow. It gives me tremendous slip in the shower to detangle... But once my hair air dries, I have 0 moisture. For HP hair, you reap the benefits quick...but as your moisture leaves and your hair dries... It's no bueno.

However, I would have thought those products would have worked. Try t-shirt/towel drying your hair (for 10 mins) before DCing and use the HSR as a leave-in. Test to make sure you the roux and Claudies do not have humectant ingredients.

mshoneyfly

I wanna try this Claudies...

Froreal3
I tried the Claudie's normalizing DC sunday and I gotta say I like the results but the smell...thats another story. It has ACV, all kinds if herbs and all types of protein. It left my hair strong but workable. I did not opt to add a moisture DC after bc it says its pH balanced so I wanted Claudie's to be my final product before rinsing. Its kind of runny so I poured it out of the jar into my hand. It spreads well too but it STINKS!!

I LOVE this HHJ!!