STEAM TREATMENT Challenge!!! COME ON IN!!!!

4mia

i tired the protein condish on dry hair steam tx and it worked really well. my hair felt strong and its not shedding as much.

tomorrow i will do another regular steam tx

**WonderWoman**

I know y'all say steaming every week will cause mushy, over-moisturized hair. But don't you think that a constantly dry 3c/4a, transitioning to texlaxed hair like mine would love weekly steams??? :grin:

I've been doing weekly steams for the past 3 weeks or so. My hair is loving it! It's helping me battle my 14 week NG and I won't be relaxing for another month since I am out of the country. But as long as I have steam, I DON'T MIND AT ALL! :yep:

ETA: don't worry. I'll be watching my hair closely to see if it's fighting back.

missnurselady

Can I still join? I just joined the gym at my community center and they have a sauna and I plan on taking advantage of it every chance I get:grin:

missnurselady

1. Name Missnurselady
  2. Natural or relaxed? Relaxed
  3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? Bi-weekly
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! I will upload pics on thursday after my first treatment

4mia

i do my steam tx every week, but i alternate from a dc steam tx or a protein steam pretx( i do this one before i wash my hair) no bad results hair is doing so much better. I put some pics in my fotki.

AfroKink

I'm off to the gym now (yes, this is how I spend my Friday nights, lol). After my workout I'm going to put on some condish and go in the steam room!

Lys

Aggie

Could you believe it, my hair wrap turbans have not yet arrived and I'm eager to start this challenge officially because my hair is strong and hard from my henna treatments. The dc-ing is holding okay, but I want to do my steam treatments like yesterday.

ETA:

My name is Aggie
I am relaxed
I will commit to steaming bi-monthly for the first 6 weeks and then once a month after that.
MY PICS ARE IN MY SIGGY
!!!!!

Last edited:

25Nona

Well I did my steam treatment for the month (I may do another one next week, I'm trying to stretch my relaxer until 5/31 and I'm currently 9 weeks post so this will help to soften up my NG).

Tonight I did a protein treatment with Jheri Redding and afterwords I used the steam treatment with my DC. I used my Nacidit Olive Oil Concoction and Neem oil on my scalp, my hair is really lovin this stuff. :drunk: :drunk: . I'm sitting under the dryer now and will see how things are in the morning.

HairQueen

I wish I could join in this challenge but I just can't afford a steamer. Its very hard to get them cheap in the UK. They cost around £200, which equates to around $400 - so very expensive! Have been looking for a nice table-top one on the internet sold in the UK but alas I cannot find one *sigh*:ohwell:

hotlusciousl

I went to a stylist after I had taken out my braids and she washed and conditioned me and told me my hair was really dry even when it was wet. So she went into the back and heated a hand towel in the microwave and wrapped the towel around my hair with the conditioner in my hair. She then took a platic cap and put it on my head and sat me under the dryer for about 30 min. When she rinsed it out she used very lukewarm water and then a final cool rinse. My hair look amazing once she finished styling. Full of body and very dark and healthy looking. Everyone noticed how great it looked.

C

cieramichele

I hope one towel and one cap is as effective as a steamer. :sad:

Aggie

I went to a stylist after I had taken out my braids and she washed and conditioned me and told me my hair was really dry even when it was wet. So she went into the back and heated a hand towel in the microwave and wrapped the towel around my hair with the conditioner in my hair. She then took a platic cap and put it on my head and sat me under the dryer for about 30 min. When she rinsed it out she used very lukewarm water and then a final cool rinse. My hair look amazing once she finished styling. Full of body and very dark and healthy looking. Everyone noticed how great it looked.

I just did this on my sister's hair about an hour ago and she loves it. It really does look a lot silkier than before. Anyway, my 2 wrap turbans finally arrived and I already dc-ed for the day so I will save my steam treatment for Wednesday afternoon after work.

Last edited:

hotlusciousl

I am assume it's just as good. I got the same results everyone else are saying that they are getting and she only used one soaked hand towel heated in the microwave and one plastic cap. She specifically said she was putting the moisture back into my hair. She told me I must have just taken out braids. I was like, yeah.

Last edited:
C

cieramichele

I am assume it's just as good. I got the same results everyone else are saying that they are getting and she only used one soaked hand towel heated in the microwave and one plastic cap. She specifically said she was putting the moisture back into my hair. She told me I must have just taken out braids. I was like, yeah.

Groovy :wacky:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!

I'm not in the challenge but I just did a steam treatment to my head yesterday after taking my cornrows out. I used 1. turbie twist and a plastic cap. I boiled my water and put the towel in the boiled water, I don't own a microwave by choice (think they're unhealthy) anyway, conditioned, put hot turbie on, plastic cap, set under the dryer for 25 minutes, when I rinsed my hair, I though hmmm no big deal, but detangling was a breeze, then I airdried and flatironed using the Sedu, and I'm telling you my hair came out perfect. I cant keep my hands out of my head. I will most definitely be doing the steam treatment every two week from now on.

Last edited:

Aggie

Time to update again, today I felt like my hair had a little build up in it from all the co-washing and decided to clarify my hair with Mizani Puriphyl shampoo mixed with a little Mega Tek Premier poo and creme rinse, washed out, then pooed lightly with some diluted garlic poo.

I washed that out and now I am Steam DC-ing with Pantene R/N hair conditioning mask, mixed ith some Biolage cera-repair fortetherapie treatment and virgin organic unrefined coconut oil:lick:. I will Steam DC tonight for about 30 minutes with heat under my hooded dryer. I'll update on the results later.

ETA: I Steam DC-ed for 1 hour instead of 30 minutes and my hair is finally done. I must say that my hair really was steaming hot and some of the steamy hot water from the turbies was starting to come from under my cap and down my back. Next time I'll wring it out a little more. I love it a lot. My hair really is very soft, thank you SJ for this at-home steam treatment. This is the perfect DC for an after henna treatment. Now I'm air drying with cool air from my hooded dryer before going to bed.

My next steam treatment will be due a month from today.

mohair

I am not sure how I missed this. I want in...:yep:

Name - mohair
Natural or relaxed? - relaxed 14wks post
Bi-Weekly or monthly??? - bi-weekly
CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! I am so lazy about this. I will upload some pics by the weeks end.
How my hair feels: Soft and fluffy (last time used HE HH April 25, 2008 - sadly no pics were taken Now that there's a challenge, I will do better)
Next Treatment - June 8, 2008

Lucky's Mom

Time to update again, today I felt like my hair had a little build up in it from all the co-washing and decided to clarify my hair with Mizani Puriphyl shampoo mixed with a little Mega Tek Premier poo and creme rinse, washed out, then pooed lightly with some diluted garlic poo.

I washed that out and now I am Steam DC-ing with Pantene R/N hair conditioning mask, mixed ith some Biolage cera-repair fortetherapie treatment and virgin organic unrefined coconut oil:lick:. I will Steam DC tonight for about 30 minutes with heat under my hooded dryer. I'll update on the results later.

ETA: I Steam DC-ed for 1 hour instead of 30 minutes and my hair is finally done. I must say that my hair really was steaming hot and some of the steamy hot water from the turbies was starting to come from under my cap and down my back. Next time I'll wring it out a little more. I love it a lot. My hair really is very soft, thank you SJ for this at-home steam treatment. This is the perfect DC for an after henna treatment. Now I'm air drying with cool air from my hooded dryer before going to bed.

My next steam treatment will be due a month from today.

YOU are welcome my dear.
:yep:

donewit-it

I'm sitting under my hooded dryer now. I just finished dyeing my hair the color of my avi. I figured that would be as good as time as any to do a special steam treatment. Boy is it hot up under hurr! I'll probably detangle after my 30 mins and go to sleep with the conditioner in my hair. I can't risk any damage done to my hair:lachen:

AtlantaJJ

Did we determine how often it is safe for naturals to do the steam treatments? I just love the way my hair feels after I do them. I just can't see them causing damage if done once per week....

Any thoughts on this ... I have been holding off to like once per month but it sees like I'm missing out on a really good DC when I don't steam...

JustKiya

Did we determine how often it is safe for naturals to do the steam treatments? I just love the way my hair feels after I do them. I just can't see them causing damage if done once per week....

Any thoughts on this ... I have been holding off to like once per month but it sees like I'm missing out on a really good DC when I don't steam...

I haven't even done any yet (going to do my first, today) but I know what my hair feels like when it's overmoisturized, and since I'm using MT, I've got an easy (and fabulous) way to instantly infuse more protein in my hair. :look: I fully intend on doing them at least twice a month, and possibly weekly, depending on how fabulous my hair feels until my hair complains.....

AtlantaJJ

Howz it going ladies??????
I'm miss gadget guru but I don't think I need to get a steamer. I just heated two hand towles in the microwave, rang them out with gloves, put them on my head and the a plastic cap. I sat uner my moon bonnet dryer and those towles stayed steaming hot the entire time. I can't see how a steamer would work any better... I would like to have a treatment in a salon to find out if it's worth the money before I invest. The towels really worked great for me.