Summer Growth Spurt...For YOU "Fact or Fiction?"

Yes, I get a Growth Spurt in the Summer because........

• I up my Moisturizing Deep Conditioners, I Co-Wash, I Spritz etc....

Votes: 27 28.7%
  • I Eat Better, Exercise More, Drink More Water, Concentrate more on Physical Activity

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I Get My Growth Spurt in the Fall/Winter Months

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I Don't Believe in a Summer (Fall/Winter) Growth Spurts

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Other Opinion on the Summer Growth Spurt

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Ahhh....The "Coveted Summer Growth Spurt" Do you get it? If so, what are you doing to help it along?

I started this Thread because I want YOUR Opinion on the Summer Growth Spurt. I want mine.....Do You?

I am hoping my PS this summer and moisturizing, eating right, drinking more water and all that "Good Stuff" will help me right along

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i think for me it's just the extra humidity in the air or something like that. i exercise outside more in the summer, but my regimen for exercise and my hair is generally the same all year. YET from april to august i grow a bit more hair.

after three years of tracking my growth and shedding patterns, i now try to take advantage of this by protective styling more.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I can't really tell but I HOPE it's true. I try to walk around outside alot so my body can fight to stay cool and hopefully send some circulation up there and grow lol But I really can't tell since I'm transitioning. It appears to be the same length as it was 3 months ago....but my theory is as long as you exercise frequently year round, your growth rate will be pretty consistent.

tri3nity

my hair has grown alot since April actually and nothing has changed in my reggie. I always get growth during the summer.

SignatureBeauty

I too always get good growth in the summer, my hair has grown so much in one Month, I do everything the same all year, in the fall/winter my hair growth slows alot.

Ltown

Greyland
I've only measure my hair as part of growth challenges. I never measure my hair in the summer so I can't say it will be a growth spurt. I hope too get a growth spurt. I will be washing more because I sweat more as most anyone when temp are 100 degrees.

sensi sweetie

IMO hair flourishes in warm weather! I'm sure there has to be some science behind it. In cold North European countries like Germany I noticed that woman have very thin and usually short hair (and not only the white people. Turks,Asians,Africans.. they are actually fairly diverse over there)

But in places like India where it is hot and humid woman have braids that are literally the size of my arm!

Anyways. I'll be praying for my summer GS :D:D:D

rosalindb

I'm not sure if I get them but I will be tracking closely this summer as I trimmed my hair a couple of weeks ago. It was my first trim in over a year so I had to take off about an inch off as the ends were really bad. I want to see how long it takes for me to get back to where I was.

*CherryPie*

Although I exercise more in the warm months, I kinda think it's the warm weather, humidity, or SOMETHING similar to that, because there were years where I didn't exercise all year and STILL got a growth spurt.

But, on the other hand, Just like the growth phase (grow, rest, shed) is just what our hair does at a certain time, maybe we just AUTOMATICALLY get a growth spurt at a certain time every year....

Some folks get their growth spurt in Winter or Fall....we can't attribute it to humidity or warm weather then.

charmtreese

Now that I'm paying attention I feel like I got one this summer, however I won't know for sure until after I get my touch up (in a week or so)! But my NG is ridiculous, I mean this stuff is ferocious if it wasn't for mane and tail detangler my poor relaxed hair wouldn't have a chance!

I sweat a lot in my head during the summer months and I think the increased circulation aids in my hair growth during these HOT 100+ degree months!!!

KurlyNinja

I have no idea if I get increase growth in the summer because I just started really looking at growth this past summer. I just hope that I continue to get 1/2-3/4" a month like I have.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i have no idea, because i've never tracked my growth consistently enough to say. but i'll let you know in a few months when i take some comparison shots.

NikkiGirl

My hair doesn't grow faster in the summer. I got more growth in the fall/winter last year. I don't know why. But I measure so I know it to be true. Oh well.

ms.blue

Last summer my hair grew a lot but I didn't realize is it was a spurt. All I did was wash my hair underneath my weave & sprayed elasta eq H-Two leave in or water mixed w/ conditioner & glycerin. I attributed the growth to myself exercising & eating better.

Americka

Cool thread! I got one last summer- actually closer to fall. I think for many people it is fact - the summer creates a more conducive hair growing environment.

LushLox

I don't think it's consistently hot enough here, to consider the summer season a growth spurt, well not for me personally, but I'm going to monitor it more closely this year to see whether there's any difference between the seasons. I do feel the need to get more water on my scalp during the hotter months so I think this helps.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Good Thread T! I've never really paid attention before, but I must admit that my hair is growing like crazy right now. I do cowash everyday and I did start baggying again, so I'm sure that's helping also. We'll see what the end of summer brings:yep:

ParagonTresses

This is my first summer actually tracking my hair growth but I have definitely noticed alot of growth in the last few months. Maybe it is a "growth spurt" (I know my nails definitely grow faster in the summer) but I equate it to daily cowashing and increased humidity in the air. Whatever the reason I'm excited about it!

drappedup

I'm living in Arizona. It's pretty damn hot over here for the last few weeks. I haven't noticed any kind of difference in growth, and I have been drinking tons of water. I have also been regularly exercising, wet bunning, and eating more fruits and veggies than usual, and I haven't noticed a difference at all. So, yeah, that's killed any belief I once had in a summer growth spurt, lol. Maybe it's one of those things like weight loss, where you suddenly wake up one day and notice a blatant difference, but right now, I'm doubting it!

drappedup

I've been waiting on my spurt for the past 2 summers, so I think it's fiction for me.

Darn....:ohwell:

This is my first LHCF summer, and I was really hoping for it!

Why do I always gotta be different, lol??! Everybody in that other thread is talking about breakouts from Biotin (....and I'm like.....Biotin works fabulously for me and I take it by itself everyday! :grin:), and I'm the odd one out, then now everybody is promoting summer growth spurts and looks like I'm the odd one out here, too! DAMN. I wanted a growth spurt!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Darn....:ohwell:

This is my first LHCF summer, and I was really hoping for it!

Why do I always gotta be different, lol??! Everybody in that other thread is talking about breakouts from Biotin (....and I'm like.....Biotin works fabulously for me and I take it by itself everyday! :grin:), and I'm the odd one out, then now everybody is promoting summer growth spurts and looks like I'm the odd one out here, too! DAMN. I wanted a growth spurt!

Me Too!:yep:

BEAUTYU2U

I do not get a summer growth spurt... I always wondered why that was a popular belief. Instead, my hair grows most in the fall/winter months. I really don't count on spurts though, I try to be patient and consistent.

katblack

I live in Florida where for the most part it always feel like summer so that really doesn't make much of a difference over here.

Minty

I can't really say as this is the first year I am documenting my progress. This month I got almost a full inch of growth. I am using my own msm/glycerin mix but that is inconsistent. I also use lenzi's request - again, inconsistently.

Will pay closer attention for the rest of the summer.

How do you ladies measure growth? I find even with a relaxer I can not get an accurate gauge. I take growth pics.

chebaby

i think the summer growth sourt is true. i think i already see something but that could be all in my mind lol. but i do think it comes from the extra exercise people do in the summer, sweating, drinking more water and the humidity in the air.
im counting on it becaus yes, i do want it.