Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 4**

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hi Ladies! :wave:

It's time to update for the Super Grow Out Challenge.

How is everyone doing?

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length?

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement?

Post your updates here! I want to know how you are doing!

I will no longer add the list of names to the beginning of the challenge. It's too hard to keep up with. I will however be here to encourage everyone on to whatever goal they are trying to reach.

Good Luck to everyone and Happy Hair Growing!!

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I recently cut off almost 4 inches of hair. I am happy to report that it is growing back quite nicely. I have however had problems with minor breakage that I am trying to solve. I may have to go back to daily co washes to help combat the problem. My hair has been so dry lately and I get a lot of hair break off when I comb or blowdry. Anyone have any suggestion? I am willing to accept any advice and try whatever it takes to get my hair back on track!!

I hope everyone else is doing well! HHG

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
How is everyone doing? Great! And relieved! :grin:

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine? I'm no longer transitioning... I'm 100% natural! :yay: So my routine has definitely changed.
Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I did the big chop yesterday (May 1st). So my hair is now about 3 inches long.

The only setback is the length of my hair, but I'm still happy because I've reached my ultimate goal to have natural hair that's healthier.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Poohbear said:
How is everyone doing? Great! And relieved! :grin:

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine? I'm no longer transitioning... I'm 100% natural! :yay: So my routine has definitely changed.
Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I did the big chop yesterday (May 1st). So my hair is now about 3 inches long.

The only setback is the length of my hair, but I'm still happy because I've reached my ultimate goal to have natural hair that's healthier.
Poohbear I am so proud of you! I also love the way you look with your all natural hair.

You go girl!

hopeful

Hi DSD and all the other ladies.:wave:

How is everyone doing? Doing good.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Pretty much.
Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine? Finally broke down and got WGO and I love it so much!

Are you gaining length? Yes. At first I wasn't so sure but last week I braided my hair and it seemed to take forever. I thought it was just because I was so tired. Well anyway, I usually put rollers on the braids in the front and crown area but before I knew it I had almost rolled my entire head except for like the last row of braids in the back. Then I knew it had grown because when I first bc'd I could barely braid, not to mention braid and roll my hair.

Have you cut any length? Plan to do 1/8th to 1/4th inch trim this week.

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? Really working on being more gentle with my hair. Adjusting to working with natural hair. On occasion I have tried to quickly pick my hair out when I was in a hurry and then I will have all this pretty natural hair in the comb/pick. Whenever it happens I feel really sad because if I had been more patient and careful that hair would probably still be on my head.:( So just really working on being patient and gentle.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I've been doing pretty good. I have started using pure, unrefined shea butter as my daily moisturizer on my dry hair. I love the results I get from this, especially on my ends. I also purchased some WGO to use on my damp hair. I'm also getting good results from this too.

As of today I'm 10 weeks post touch up. I haven't decided if I'm going to touch up or wear braids for a month. I'll decide at week 12. I'm sticking to my regemin but I broke the bun challenge for a week to wear a rod set. All in all I had a good month. I have about an inch of new growth.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
hopeful said:
Hi DSD and all the other ladies.:wave:

How is everyone doing? Doing good.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Pretty much.
Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine? Finally broke down and got WGO and I love it so much!

Are you gaining length? Yes. At first I wasn't so sure but last week I braided my hair and it seemed to take forever. I thought it was just because I was so tired. Well anyway, I usually put rollers on the braids in the front and crown area but before I knew it I had almost rolled my entire head except for like the last row of braids in the back. Then I knew it had grown because when I first bc'd I could barely braid, not to mention braid and roll my hair.

Have you cut any length? Plan to do 1/8th to 1/4th inch trim this week.

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? Really working on being more gentle with my hair. Adjusting to working with natural hair. On occasion I have tried to quickly pick my hair out when I was in a hurry and then I will have all this pretty natural hair in the comb/pick. Whenever it happens I feel really sad because if I had been more patient and careful that hair would probably still be on my head.:( So just really working on being patient and gentle.
Hi Hopeful! :wave:

I am glad that your hair is doing so well. Patience it a hard thing to come by. Try find styles that require lo of no manipulation and only detangle on wash days. This helps me tremendously. I try not to do my hair in a rush because it comes out looking good but you loose way more hair than you would if you slowed your roll.

Make sure to also handle your hair in sections. It's tough but worth it! HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
simplycee said:
I've been doing pretty good. I have started using pure, unrefined shea butter as my daily moisturizer on my dry hair. I love the results I get from this, especially on my ends. I also purchased some WGO to use on my damp hair. I'm also getting good results from this too.

As of today I'm 10 weeks post touch up. I haven't decided if I'm going to touch up or wear braids for a month. I'll decide at week 12. I'm sticking to my regemin but I broke the bun challenge for a week to wear a rod set. All in all I had a good month. I have about an inch of new growth.
Wonderful to hear! Sometimes we need a break from the same ole boring styles. As long as you get back on track you will be ok!

I think braiding is a great idea. How long will you keep them in?

DatJerseyDyme

Doing well. I blowdried and flat ironed my hair the other day for a wedding and updated pics in my album (link's in siggy). I'm now 6-7 weeks post relaxer. I'm going to do it again at 12 weeks post relaxer for ANOTHER wedding. Using so much heat has made my hair lose some elasticity so I may break down and deep condition for a few weeks (I *hate* deep conditioning) and do some heavy moisturizing to help get it back. I'm planning to use the summer to let my scalp rest, hopefully won't be getting another relaxer until August at 20 or 21 weeks. Wish me luck cause BOY am I gonna need it! :)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
DSD: Last year I wore braids from April to August. I'm tempted to do this again. I got lots of new growth and retained all of it. I may get cornrows and wear them for a month and then touch up. I'll make a decision in the next week or two.

DangerouslyShy

How is everyone doing?

Doing well here, I have a lot of new growth started the MTG challenge on Friday, I see more newgrowth already.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine.

MTG original is my newest product. Im sticking to my routine. It seems like my sides are growing faster this time of year, which is good because i need them to catch up they are so close!!

Havent cut any length. I have a sew-in so Im not sure how mcuh length I have grown since my last check in.

No setbacks, Im doing well!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
DatJerseyDyme said:
Doing well. I blowdried and flat ironed my hair the other day for a wedding and updated pics in my album (link's in siggy). I'm now 6-7 weeks post relaxer. I'm going to do it again at 12 weeks post relaxer for ANOTHER wedding. Using so much heat has made my hair lose some elasticity so I may break down and deep condition for a few weeks (I *hate* deep conditioning) and do some heavy moisturizing to help get it back. I'm planning to use the summer to let my scalp rest, hopefully won't be getting another relaxer until August at 20 or 21 weeks. Wish me luck cause BOY am I gonna need it! :)
Good Luck getting your hair back! I took a look at your pics. Congrats on making it past brastrap. Your hair is gorgeous!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
simplycee said:
DSD: Last year I wore braids from April to August. I'm tempted to do this again. I got lots of new growth and retained all of it. I may get cornrows and wear them for a month and then touch up. I'll make a decision in the next week or two.
Wow! You should retain a lot of length that way!! Good Luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
DangerouslyShy said:
How is everyone doing?

Doing well here, I have a lot of new growth started the MTG challenge on Friday, I see more newgrowth already.

MTG original is my newest product. Im sticking to my routine. It seems like my sides are growing faster this time of year, which is good because i need them to catch up they are so close!!

Havent cut any length. I have a sew-in so Im not sure how mcuh length I have grown since my last check in.

No setbacks, Im doing well!!
Absolutley wonderful to hear!!!! Congrats on your side growing faster. I hope they catch up soon.

hopeful

dontspeakdefeat said:
Hi Hopeful! :wave:

I am glad that your hair is doing so well. Patience it a hard thing to come by. Try find styles that require lo of no manipulation and only detangle on wash days. This helps me tremendously. I try not to do my hair in a rush because it comes out looking good but you loose way more hair than you would if you slowed your roll.

Make sure to also handle your hair in sections. It's tough but worth it! HHG

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.:)

sharee

dontspeakdefeat said:

How is everyone doing?

Sooo much better.

I have been consistent with my new routine. I have actually found that less products have been working better for me.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I have been cutting 1/2-1 1/2 inches a month to get rid of damaged ends.

I was having a lot of shedding and breakage but it slows after a trim so, so far so good..

PaperDoll

~the original~
Let's see:

• Consistency: Yes, for the most part I am sticking to my routine. However, it doesn't seem to be working as well as I would like so I think I am going to be changing some things (i.e. products) soon.....

• I have not seen any significant growth. To be honest, I haven't seen any growth and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

• I am experiencing some minor breakage/major dryness and I am completely freaked out about it. I did an Emergencee treatment but I don't think it helped. So my next step is an Aphoghee treatment in 2 weeks.

• I'm having a hard time stretching my relaxer this time (and I really don't understand that since I have hardly any new growth). It will be 12 weeks this Friday - I wanted to go to 16 weeks but I don't know that I will make it.

• I have a hair appointment this Friday and will decide if I relax or not by then. I do know that due to the breakage, I will be getting yet another cut this weekend to even out my ends (the third in approximatey 12 weeks):crying3:

• My upcoming plans are to: have a cut to even out the breakage (this will take me back above shoulder length in the back and I don't even want to talk about the sides and crown...:(), relax, and have micros done either at the beginning of June or July. I want to try to strengthen my hair some before I do that.

melodee

Hey:)

I'm doing well. My hair appears to be growing back nicely following my big trim(or small haircut)! Like DSD, I had to remove my ends, due to overprocessing that was done two years ago. But I am sure I'll be comfortably back to brastrap by June. I may be there, but I am not measuring. instead I am doing daily CO washes and wet styling my hair, so there is alot of shrinkage. I did a small update to my album last month and I will try to do another soon.

Congratulations on your chop, Pooh! It looks great.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
sharee said:
dontspeakdefeat said:

How is everyone doing?

Sooo much better.

I have been consistent with my new routine. I have actually found that less products have been working better for me.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I have been cutting 1/2-1 1/2 inches a month to get rid of damaged ends.

I was having a lot of shedding and breakage but it slows after a trim so, so far so good..
Wow! You are doing a lot of cutting. You will feel great once you get rid of all the damage. I am glad that things are going better for you!! Keep up the good work!

jaded_faerie

How is everyone doing? alright

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine?
My routine has basically stayed the same, i just did not continue the stinky challenge last month, but plan to pick it back up this month while adding MTG to the mix...I am also going to do my 1st self-relaxer on the 13th!!...I am super excited about that, still choosing between Mizani or Affirm though. I also will stop wearing my hair up in a bun, because my edges were doing better, but i think the high bun is causing tension on them. I just bought a lacefront from D.Shy and plan on rocking that this summer, and washing every 3 days.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I think ive gained some length, not sure how much but i also had a lot of breakage when i washed my hair yesterday, i think it is time for a relaxer...especially since i have three different textures going on.

Happy hair growing ladies!! :)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
PaperDoll said:
Let's see:
  • Consistency: Yes, for the most part I am sticking to my routine. However, it doesn't seem to be working as well as I would like so I think I am going to be changing some things (i.e. products) soon.....
  • I have not seen any significant growth. To be honest, I haven't seen any growth and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
  • I am experiencing some minor breakage/major dryness and I am completely freaked out about it. I did an Emergencee treatment but I don't think it helped. So my next step is an Aphoghee treatment in 2 weeks.
  • I'm having a hard time stretching my relaxer this time (and I really don't understand that since I have hardly any new growth). It will be 12 weeks this Friday - I wanted to go to 16 weeks but I don't know that I will make it.
  • I have a hair appointment this Friday and will decide if I relax or not by then. I do know that due to the breakage, I will be getting yet another cut this weekend to even out my ends (the third in approximatey 12 weeks):crying3:
  • My upcoming plans are to: have a cut to even out the breakage (this will take me back above shoulder length in the back and I don't even want to talk about the sides and crown...:(), relax, and have micros done either at the beginning of June or July. I want to try to strengthen my hair some before I do that.
I am hoping that when you go in to get your cut that you don't need as much cut as you think!

I was thinking that lack of newgrowth may be because of products you are using that soften it so it won't be as noticeable.

You say the emergencee didn't work for you. I plan on using that real soon. I think all and all both of us probably need way more moisture than we think. Good Luck getting that breakage under control. I am having a similar problem!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
melodee said:
Hey:)

I'm doing well. My hair appears to be growing back nicely following my big trim(or small haircut)! Like DSD, I had to remove my ends, due to overprocessing that was done two years ago. But I am sure I'll be comfortably back to brastrap by June. I may be there, but I am not measuring. instead I am doing daily CO washes and wet styling my hair, so there is alot of shrinkage. I did a small update to my album last month and I will try to do another soon.

Congratulations on your chop, Pooh! It looks great.
Good for you!! I can't wait until your hair reaches brastrap again. Good Luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
jaded_faerie said:
How is everyone doing? alright

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine?
My routine has basically stayed the same, i just did not continue the stinky challenge last month, but plan to pick it back up this month while adding MTG to the mix...I am also going to do my 1st self-relaxer on the 13th!!...I am super excited about that, still choosing between Mizani or Affirm though. I also will stop wearing my hair up in a bun, because my edges were doing better, but i think the high bun is causing tension on them. I just bought a lacefront from D.Shy and plan on rocking that this summer, and washing every 3 days.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I think ive gained some length, not sure how much but i also had a lot of breakage when i washed my hair yesterday, i think it is time for a relaxer...especially since i have three different textures going on.

Happy hair growing ladies!! :)
Wow! You are going to be wearing a lace front. I am sure it will look nice.

I see you are going to try to self relaxer. Make sure you have your timer and materials right in front on you and also a second mirror. Let us know how it turns out! Good Luck!

PaperDoll

~the original~
dontspeakdefeat said:
I am hoping that when you go in to get your cut that you don't need as much cut as you think!

I was thinking that lack of newgrowth may be because of products you are using that soften it so it won't be as noticeable.

You say the emergencee didn't work for you. I plan on using that real soon. I think all and all both of us probably need way more moisture than we think. Good Luck getting that breakage under control. I am having a similar problem!!

Yeah, you're right hopefully it won't be as much I think! *crosses fingers*

That's an interesting idea about the products softening new growth, I was thinking about it and I think that it may also be the blowouts I get at the salon, she blows my roots super straight and I'm pretty good at wrapping at night to keep it that way so that may be another reason I havent't seen any growth, hunh?

I've been looking at some past threads about Emergencee and I see alot of people have said they leave it on for longer than suggested and/or sit under a dryer with it and I think maybe that's why I didn't see any improvement. I only left it on for the recommended 10 minutes or so while I was in the shower. I may try it again... Let me know how it works for you!

I'm sorry to hear about your breakage! But I know you'll find a solution and be right back where you started soon! I'll be sure to keep you in mind if I find anything new that helps with my breakage!

:)

Miz_Complexity

I am doing great. I have finally had time to display my album, the link is in my siggy. I still have my braids in. I will be taken them out either May 7 or after finals on the 13th of May.

I have like of new growth from the braids. I had to do a mid month touch up in April because the new growth in the front was lookin a hot mess.

I plan to do a deep condition and let my hair rest a week and them put in the kinky two strand twist the week of May 20- July 20. I hope that this plan will work.

I had a run in with hives from taken my vitamins at the end of March the beginning of April. So I have cut down on the number of vitamins I take and when I take them. I also had to increase my water intake. I believe this was one of the reasons I got the hives not drinking enough water.

Tene

My hair is doing great and it's really growing. I still need to get my ends clipped but I'm not sure how much. I haven't clipped my ends in 6 or 7 months. I just started using Shapley's Original M-T-G and I'm noticing growth already. My hair seems like it's getting thicker. I just bought some hydrolyzed collagen by Twinlab. It has all the amino acids in it along with protein and b vitamins. I'm still being consistent with everything. I just bought some Aubrey Organics GPB, so I'm going to try that out tomorrow.

hairlover

dontspeakdefeat said:

How is everyone doing? i need some encouraging still.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I am pretty much consistent with my routine, i may skip a day of washing my hair or a day of taking vitamins, other than that, i'm on point.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I've gained about 1/2 and inch. i was getting an inch a month, but now i'm not. i don't know why, my routine has not changed.

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement?yes.

Post your updates here! I want to know how you are doing!
Good Luck to everyone and Happy Hair Growing!!
my updated pics are in my siggy.

Sapphire

kinks n curls girl
Wow, its the fourth month into the challenge?! Man time flies. :ohwell:

Nothing really new to report here. I recently did a touch-up and dusted my ends a bit. I've gained hardly any length since January. :( I'm hoping to see more growth now that I've added MTG to my regimen. I apply it to my scalp twice weekly on wash day. My hair is pretty healthy overall so I guess I can't complain. :)

chicamorena

How is everyone doing? I’m doing good. I’ve been getting kind of lazy with my hair.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I’ve been lazy so my hair is usually in a bun, but I’ve been washing and deep conditioning it faithfully. I haven’t been taking my vitamins which I need to start back doing.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I’ve gained a good amount of length. I got a touchup about 2 weeks ago and am now about 2 inches past my bra, which is really bringing me close to my goal. I cut about ¼ inch off when I got my touchup, just for maintenance.