Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 5**

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
dontspeakdefeat said:
Hi Ladies!

It time to check in for the Super Grow Out Challenge.

How is everyone doing?

Are you remaining consistent with you routines?

Have you lost or gained any length?

Post your progress here no matter how much or how little!!
I'm doing fine. As you already know, I have loss length due to my BC. Since I've gone natural, I have been very consistent with my regime. I wash daily, shampoo and condition once a week, Surge 2X daily, and apply jojoba oil to my hair. I just wear my TWA out with confidence! :antlers: I'm hoping to get a good 4 inches by the end of this year. Wish me luck!!! :D

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hi Ladies!

Month five (5)? Where has the time gone? I am still doing the baggie/vaseline method. I have gone from washing 1x a week to washing as little as 1x every three (3) weeks and then back again. I have not put any heat in my hair so I don't know if I gained or lost any length "officially". Still using the same routine. I am just glad that I am still on/in the challenge. :) That in itself is an accomplishment for me.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Ashee said:
How is everyone doing? Doing pretty well... Hair is holding up...

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Right now I am twisted up & am sprsying with Surge & braid spray... I also use Sulfer 8 & Scurl Sprays. I have washed my hair twice since getting the twists April 30th...

Have you lost or gained any length? I am seeing a lot of quick growth but won't know of any loss until I remove the twists this month...:look:

Great!! I am sure once you take out your twists you will have gained plenty of length!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
sillygurl18 said:
I'm doing well. I have decided to keep my hair in protective styles for a while. It will be good for me. I've never kept my hair in one style for a week.

I am starting a new routine since I"m doing protective styles. I'll wash and redo my hair every two weeks.
Great to hear you are doing well. Protective styles are wonderful for helping retain length. Good Luck bein consistent with them.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
monister said:
hmm my hair is doing fine... i dunno if i mentioned this before but i trimmed off about an inch in march. now ive got my hair in two strand twists and it's ~4" long. I've slacked off on my vitamins but i've been pretty regular with the rest of my regimen and i never miss my daily condioner wash...

monister
Ok, that's good to hear. Those conditioner washes are wonderful.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
19sweetie said:
I'm doing okay. My hair had a little setback in March due to my untangling issues w/ my weave, but it's okay now. It's currently in a sewn-in weave to accumulate more growth during the summer.
Girl, your hair will bounce right back in no time just as long as you remain consistent with you routine. The weave is a great way to give your hair a break from daily styling. Good Luck getting the summer growth spurt!

shawniegee said:
I'm doing pretty well. No setback(knock on wood). I'm currently sportin' braids and I'm about 10 weeks post relaxer. I'm trying to stretch it unitl weeks 12 at least. I won't order my phyto until week 12.
Girl, you are doing a great job. I know you can make it to 12 weeks post! You will have gained so much length by then.

Dion said:
Things are going pretty good. I'm 15 weeks post relaxer with a small amount of breakage/shedding. I've been doing air dried rollersets, which is helping me to stretch this long.

In March I trimmed about 1*2 inches and began using Glover's and Sulfer 8 and my scalp.
I am glad things are going well. Don't stretch too long though since you are getting a little breakage and shedding. Fifteen weeks is pretty good IMO!

Melaninme

How is everyone doing? So far so good. I haven't picked up the scissors for any major cuts since February (keeping fingers crossed). Summer months are the hardest for me because it gets so hot here. I am due for a trim in about 2 - 3 weeks. When I perform the trim this time, I will make sure that my DH is present to keep me from becoming scissor happy! LOL!!!

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Yes! Right now I'm wearing my hair in twists and spritzing with my homemade scalp serum at night.

Have you lost or gained any length? From February to April I gained a a lil' somthin' somthin' :cool:

Ive decided to transition to natural so I'm looking for a new regimen....Ive been doing my research but I still have no idea what to do with my hair. I know I want to do a long transition. For now I have just been doing bantu knots, braidouts and wearing it in a pony tail with my ends tucked under

I think I have gained a little length from my april trim but I really cant tell.

lshevonne

I've been missing in action but I'm back now.
I've been sticking to my routine most of the time. I only use my hooded dryer on wash day and try to do pin curls at night when I want a little body. I will post a picture this weekend after I wash. I have gained some length but think it's time for a little trim. This week I was bad-my hair has been out/down about 3 times.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
natalied said:
How is everyone doing? Overall, pretty good.

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? I've mode some modifications, but have been pretty consistent.

Have you lost or gained any length? 2.5 inches in 3 months

Overall I think I making good progress but I have some areas of weakness:
1) being gentle when detangling
2) I have not been taking my vitamins
3) I am very lax on doing co washes mid week
4) inconsistent w/my MTG/Surge mix
Hey Natalie you just reminded me of part of my old routine I used before I joined the hair boards. I would part my hair in eight sections and pin each section up in knots. I would then detangle one section at a time. After each section was detangled I would pin the sections back up in knots. This proved to be ver effective and forced me to be more gentle with my hair. I think this is how I will detangle from now on.

I am glad you are gaining a good deal of length. Your hair is coming along very well! Keep up the good work!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
simplycee said:
I'm still hanging in there. I was trying to stretch my relaxer to 16 weeks. I'm 14 weeks as of last Friday and I'm done. I have an appointment to get my touch up this Saturday. My last touch up was a disaster so I'm pretty anxious about this one.

I wore buns, updos and flexi rod set to get me through the stretch. I really liked the flexi rod sets. They were easy to do and easy to maintain.

I hope I have made some progress. I was hoping to make bra strap by June but looks like it might not happen until fall (maybe). I have not decided if I'm going to trim this touch up or not. Not becaue my ends look thin or split. Mostly just to even up the length. Braids are in my plans for the summer but that may not happen until July.

I'll post pics after my touch up. I've been slacking up on the pics but I'll catch up after my touch up.
I am sure that after your 16 week stretch you will be closer to brastrap than you think. Sounds like you are doing a great job with your hair. Maybe you should see how you like your hair after your touch and then decide if you still need to trim. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Shawnee66 said:
My hair is doing really well. I finally found a shampoo and conditioner that my hair likes. I'm going back to airdrying and protective styles for the summer.
Wonderful!!

MonaLisa said:
Now this is me at the end of April/early May....my hair is slow growing...

I'm approaching 6 weeks post touch up...I think I see 1/4 inch of new growth...

Still keeping hair moisturized, leaving it alone as much as possible seeing a lil bit more hair breakage than usual as of last poo...so it may be time for a heavier protein treatment, then I should be good.

I want to give the horsey oil a try....using very moderately, maybe I'll get a slight boost to my armpit goal for the year. A sister still needs a good 4 solid inches.
Girl, you know you are gonna get those 4 inches in no time!! I hope that you get that breakage under control. If not I have a recipe for you!! I am trying to catch up with you girl!! HHG

sweetcakes14 said:
Things are going well. My hair is growing in very nicely. I am washing my hair 3 times a week now that I'm working out more. I've been pretty consistent with my regimen. No new products - sticking with what's been working. I'd say that my hair's grown about 2-2.5 inches since January.

ONE YEAR SINCE THE BIG CHOP!!!!
Wonderful to hear!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
melodee said:
I am okay, but not making big strides.

I had about an inch and a half cut about two and a half months ago and I am just getting back to where I was in the beginning of the year.

The prob is overprocessed, fragile ends( about 4-5 inches of bone straight perm that was too strong for my medium-soft texured hair)) that break no matter how hard I nourish them. So I have to steadily trim them until they are no more. I guess there will be no super growing out looking legnth this year. I mean it's growing, but I'm also trimming constantly instead of BCing it. I am prepping my locks for next year's super grow out.
That's alright because you are doing what is best for your hair. It's better to go ahead and get rid of the overprocessed ends now before you reach your goal than having to do it later and only be able to stay at your goal for a while.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
hairlover said:
1. doing well.
2. yes, remaining consistent.
3. i trimmed 1.5" last week and gained it all back within 1 week. the only thing different i'm doing is exercising. i never realized what a difference exercise made on my hair. ;)
Girl, that is a lot of growth for one week. Job well done!

MJ

How is everyone doing?
I'm doing well, considering...

I've been doing a A-/B+ job with my moisturizing and vitamin regimes. I fell of the baggie wagon due to funkie braids and I stopped drinking carrot juice because of laziness (and I won't drink the processed versions). So my goals for the summer: to remain consistent with vitamins and moisturizing regimes and to complete a 30-day baggie and a 60-day carrot juice personal challenges.

I lost some of my edges due to build up in braids, but I am getting excited to see (on June 14, hopefully) the length I gained everywhere else after stretching for 21 weeks (go me!)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
LiLi said:
I'm doing very well on the challenge. It's been 16 months since my last relaxer (I'm not transitioning). I doing the crown n' glori method (but my own version) so I'm not sure how much growth I have. However, when I take my braids down to comb them out and re-braid, the back of my hair is getting very close to my waist. It will be interesting to see my hair when I relax it.

I still wash/condition daily. My crown area isn't doing well (since I don't keep this section braided) so I am going to relax the crown in a couple of weeks (it's badly underprocessed - dry and frizzy).
I am sorry to hear about your crown area but it sounds like overall you are doing well. Congrats on approaching waist!!

Alli77 said:
I'm doing good. I've gained about an inch or so, I'm 8 weeks post relaxer and all is going well, doing a lot of style experiments to help camaflouge the different textures, doing my deep treatments to avoid breakage
Wonderful to hear!!

chicamorena said:
My hair has been doing great. I've start doing conditioner washes twice a week and have been experiencing some major growth. I cut off about 2 inches my last relaxer to even my hair up a bit, so I'm hoping to gain it back.
Great to hear. I am sure you will gain that length back in no time at all!!

bocagirl

I'm doing good so far.

Have not been consistent with my regime at all, I don't even have one so I need to develop one I guess, for now I'm going with what my hair feels like it needs and I think it's working.

I have both gained and lost. My nape area on the left side is constantly breaking but the rest of my hair is growing. I'm going to see the doc because I had cut it all off and it's still not growing back, just breaking, breaking, breaking.

lshevonne

Ok,
I've added 2 pictures. I decided to trim the back to even it up a little.
I can tell it's been growing even after the trim.

L

LaNecia

lshevone!! You're hair is growing very nicely! Great progress!

kammie

Hi. I haven't checked in in several months, but here it goes:

How is everyone doing?

Doing great. I had a minor setback with a failed corrective relaxer attempt in Feb. The Elasta QP regular lye both over and under processed my hair--lost a patch of hair down to the barely relaxed new growth to the left of the crown. But it was hardly noticeable. Lately, my hair has really bounced back.

After several unsatisfying attempts at lye (didn't even texturize really), I've gone back to the box--Profective no lye. I've been very satisified, with no shedding, and my hair isn't any more dry that it was with lye. My hair is just too resistant for lye.

Yes. I wash with CON or Generic Therappe every 3 days. CO wash in between when needed. Deep condition once a week with Lekair and Aphogee 2 min. I wear buns, braid outs, bantu knots, french rolls, or roller sets. Little to no heat: hooded dryer heat only, although I will bust out the blowdryer to finish a roller set since my soft bonnet takes forever to dry.

Yes--I am officially shoulder length, meaning it is resting on my shoulders rather than just touching. After setting my hair yesterday, I actually had to flip my hair from under my shirt when I put it on. A definite milestone! Updates are posted in my album.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
vikkisecret said:
Everything is smooth sailing with a few minor bumps along the way. I am currently 10 weeks post relaxer and should be relaxing maybe sometime this weekend or next week. I want to put colourshines (Ginger) in my hair but I am not really sure about it.

I am still keeping up with my vitamin regimne and making sure that I do my deep conditioning treatments/ light protein treatments once weekly to prevent breakage and retain moisture.:yep:

I have been doing more CO washes more frequently b/c my hair is nappy and ready for a touchup along with the fact that I have been working out more.:D
Girl, you are doing a great job staying consistent. Your hair will love you for it!! HHG

MonaLisa

dontspeakdefeat said:
Girl, you know you are gonna get those 4 inches in no time!! I hope that you get that breakage under control. If not I have a recipe for you!! I am trying to catch up with you girl!! HHG

All curious and what not....
*whispers into DSD's ear....*
"What is the recipe?"
:look:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
sugaplum said:
I'm doing good here. :wave:

I'm keeping my ends moisturized even more now. The COW method is really working for me. My regrowth is smoother and stronger. My only problem I'm trying ot avoid is not using the brush. :lol:
Great to hear. Keep up the good work!

babyblue said:
How is everyone doing?
-Everything is going great

Are you remaining consistent with your routines?
-I switched up my routine a little bit. I've started shampooing my hair 2x a week now instead of just weekly. My is really responding well to this. I think I may even start increasing my shampoo's to 3x a week. I have no shedding or breakage and my hair is as strong as cable wire :lol:.

-My hair did grow a bit
That is so wonderful hair!! Moisture is truley our friend.

desperategirlie34 said:
My hair is holding up.

I've modified my routine a bit. I have my hair braided underneath my wigs

I'm not going to get a retouch until the end of July. I'm just going to continue to get my hair rebraided every 2 weeks.

I'm still using Surge and S-Curl. I'm taking Biotin.

I don't know whether i've lost or gained until i get a retouch in July. My hair did stop shedding once I started ot braid my hair.
Well, I am sure you will have tons of newgrowth once you relax in July! Good Luck!

reformatio said:
I did the bid chop at the beginning of May [hooray for me!]. I have been doing finger coils since that time. I wash my hair every week and redo the coils. Well, today I look my hair down so that I could "wash & redo." I swear I noticed that my hair had growth a half an inch or so! This is quite a shock to me as my never seemed as if it was retaining length when I was relaxed. I am so happy; I cannot wait to see what the future brings!
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! You grow girl!

LABETT said:
I just relaxed my hair today and I gain about 2 inches Viviscal is really working great for me.
I was able to stretch relaxer longer because of BBD Stretch Creme because I had a lot of newgrowth I love this stuff.
I will try to stay consistent with my vitamin regimen and increase water intake.
I am so glad the Viviscal is working well for you. Keep up the good work!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
angellazette said:
babyblue, love your hair!

My hair is doing lol. I'm now 17 weeks post and really didn't see any growth. So I attempted to blow dry and flat iron to see the length and it looks as if it's growing back from the cut in March. I would still like to boost my growth though. I've been consistent with my products and no daily styling. :grin:
Great job being 17 weeks post. Shrinkage makes it really hard to tell if we gained length between relaxers. Sometimes it makes our hair look shorter. Girl, I wouldn't even worry about whether you have gained length because I know you have!! Just wait and see.

Growingitlong

I am still keeping the faith. I am now about 11 weeks post relaxer and trying to get to six months this time around. Going to try braiding through out summer and then do a touch up somewhere about mid Septemeber. That will be six months. New growth so far looks like slightly more than an inch when stretched. So wish me luck. Maybe I might just get that 3 inches by September. Plan to do a trim then, meantime I am holding out on the tims but I am itching to do it. The b raids should help with that.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
lovelymissyoli said:
I’m a little discouraged! :( I’ve been taking care of my hair for over a year now and it hasn’t shown any signs of significant growth. I understand that last year’s color damage set me back 3 inches, however, once it grew back my hair growth has since then taken a vacation. :( I posted in my signature a picture my growth since I’ve been a member of this board and it doesn’t resemble where I should be! And to top things off, I scheduled an appointment with my stylist to get my hair cut in layers again next week. It seems as though my layers ALWAYS grow out, however, once they do, they don’t want to grow any further. I think I’m going to be a shoulder-length sista for life! :(

Have I been consistent with my routine? Sure have, except now I’m not braiding anymore. I want a style to keep me through the summer months but I don’t want to stress my hairline with braids (individuals). I was interested in getting a weave but $150 for a partial sew-in is too much money and I’m honestly having mixed feelings about it because I don’t feel too comfortable wearing hair that isn’t mine…unless it’s a ponytail that I wrap into a bun. Oh well...

Signing off...

-discouraged hair grower
First of all I would like to say that your hair is gorgeous!! The hair growing journey can be quite discouraging at times. Especially during those times when our hair seems to be not growing at all or remaining a dormant state for months on end. I do believe that our hair grows at different rates depending on the weather(warm or cold). My hair grows way slower in the cooler months than it does in the warmer months. Maybe that is the case with your hair.
Please don't be discouraged about your hair. Stressing and watching the length is not making matters any better. You may need to just concentrate on something besides hair for a while and in a few months of just letting your hair 'be' you will be suprised at the length you have gained. I don't think you should get it cut again because you will probably feel like you are even longer away from your goals.
I also think having a positive attitude toward your journey is key to keeping yourself motivated and stress free. Where are you supposed to be a year later? I seems to me since your cut you have gained quite a few inches. That's wonderful!! Don't keep cutting away your progress. It will take you to long to get there.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
DatJerseyDyme said:
Everything is going well over here. I can't believe I'm already 11 weeks post relaxer! Last relaxer around this time, I was going crazy, but I'm handling everything pretty well. I'm stretching for about 20 weeks, so I'm more than half way done. I hate to deep condition, but I've committed myself to doing so for the next 6 weeks, so we shall see how that experiment holds up and if I'm even able to do it! I could use a trim now, but that's not unusual as I usually get one every 12 weeks with my relaxer anyway. I'll be doing a lot of braidouts so having perfect ends isn't going to be much of an issue! I've been okay with my regimine, been using heat too much and don't have as much new growth as I usually would around this time and IDK what's up with that! :)
Remember deep conditioning helps keeps our hair strong and healthy! Congrats on making it to 11 weeks post without much hassle. Stay away from the heat and you will be fine. HHG

MizAvalon said:
I'm doing well. I am in my 18th(yes, it's true) week post relaxer. I thought I'd be going crazy by now, but my hair is surprisingly not that difficult to manage. Still, I'll be getting a touch-up in 2 weeks because I need to be cute for a graduation.

Since the challenge began I haven't really altered my routine much except now I use shea butter after every wash and I absolutely love it. My new growth is SO soft and I really believe it's helped me to stretch to almost 20 weeks with minimal effort.

I also have been doing the baggie method for about 5 months and my ends couldn't be better.

My hair is growing at the same rate it always does, so no change there.
Keep up the wonderful work!! HHG

Poohbear said:
I'm doing fine. As you already know, I have loss length due to my BC. Since I've gone natural, I have been very consistent with my regime. I wash daily, shampoo and condition once a week, Surge 2X daily, and apply jojoba oil to my hair. I just wear my TWA out with confidence! :antlers: I'm hoping to get a good 4 inches by the end of this year. Wish me luck!!! :D
Congrats n the big cop! I have no doubt that you can get 4 inches by the end of the year!

Chicoro said:
Hi Ladies!

Month five (5)? Where has the time gone? I am still doing the baggie/vaseline method. I have gone from washing 1x a week to washing as little as 1x every three (3) weeks and then back again. I have not put any heat in my hair so I don't know if I gained or lost any length "officially". Still using the same routine. I am just glad that I am still on/in the challenge. :) That in itself is an accomplishment for me.
Yep, month five! My has the time flown by. Girl, just keep doing watch you are doing because it sounds like you have a great handle on things!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Asha97 said:
How is everyone doing? So far so good. I haven't picked up the scissors for any major cuts since February (keeping fingers crossed). Summer months are the hardest for me because it gets so hot here. I am due for a trim in about 2 - 3 weeks. When I perform the trim this time, I will make sure that my DH is present to keep me from becoming scissor happy! LOL!!!

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Yes! Right now I'm wearing my hair in twists and spritzing with my homemade scalp serum at night.

Have you lost or gained any length? From February to April I gained a a lil' somthin' somthin' :cool:
Wonderful to hear!! Don't cut too much when you do your trim!

Covagirlm said:

Ive decided to transition to natural so I'm looking for a new regimen....Ive been doing my research but I still have no idea what to do with my hair. I know I want to do a long transition. For now I have just been doing bantu knots, braidouts and wearing it in a pony tail with my ends tucked under

I think I have gained a little length from my april trim but I really cant tell.
Congrats on your transistioning. I hope that you find the routine and products that are right for your hair. Good Luck!

lshevonne said:
I've been missing in action but I'm back now.
I've been sticking to my routine most of the time. I only use my hooded dryer on wash day and try to do pin curls at night when I want a little body. I will post a picture this weekend after I wash. I have gained some length but think it's time for a little trim. This week I was bad-my hair has been out/down about 3 times.
Glad to have you back :yep: Make sure to not vut too much when you trim. Also, it's ok to enjoy our hair sometimes!! :grin:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
mzjones said:
How is everyone doing?
I'm doing well, considering...

I've been doing a A-/B+ job with my moisturizing and vitamin regimes. I fell of the baggie wagon due to funkie braids and I stopped drinking carrot juice because of laziness (and I won't drink the processed versions). So my goals for the summer: to remain consistent with vitamins and moisturizing regimes and to complete a 30-day baggie and a 60-day carrot juice personal challenges.

I lost some of my edges due to build up in braids, but I am getting excited to see (on June 14, hopefully) the length I gained everywhere else after stretching for 21 weeks (go me!)
I am glad to hear you are doing well. I don't see how you do the carrot juice, You go girl!!

I have accepted if I wear braids I am going to lose some thickness of my hairline. However, I do a great job of babying it back to life once the braids are out.

I am sure that your hair growth will be tremendous once you take down the braids!! HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
bocagirl said:
I'm doing good so far.

Have not been consistent with my regime at all, I don't even have one so I need to develop one I guess, for now I'm going with what my hair feels like it needs and I think it's working.

I have both gained and lost. My nape area on the left side is constantly breaking but the rest of my hair is growing. I'm going to see the doc because I had cut it all off and it's still not growing back, just breaking, breaking, breaking.

I am glad to hear that your no routine routine is working! Do what your hair likes!!

lshevonne said:
Ok,
I've added 2 pictures. I decided to trim the back to even it up a little.
I can tell it's been growing even after the trim.
Great! I am going to peep the pics after I finish responding to the rest of the replies!!

kammie said:
Hi. I haven't checked in in several months, but here it goes:

How is everyone doing?

Doing great. I had a minor setback with a failed corrective relaxer attempt in Feb. The Elasta QP regular lye both over and under processed my hair--lost a patch of hair down to the barely relaxed new growth to the left of the crown. But it was hardly noticeable. Lately, my hair has really bounced back.

After several unsatisfying attempts at lye (didn't even texturize really), I've gone back to the box--Profective no lye. I've been very satisified, with no shedding, and my hair isn't any more dry that it was with lye. My hair is just too resistant for lye.

Yes. I wash with CON or Generic Therappe every 3 days. CO wash in between when needed. Deep condition once a week with Lekair and Aphogee 2 min. I wear buns, braid outs, bantu knots, french rolls, or roller sets. Little to no heat: hooded dryer heat only, although I will bust out the blowdryer to finish a roller set since my soft bonnet takes forever to dry.

Yes--I am officially shoulder length, meaning it is resting on my shoulders rather than just touching. After setting my hair yesterday, I actually had to flip my hair from under my shirt when I put it on. A definite milestone! Updates are posted in my album.
Forget about the setbacks!! You hair is doing great!! Keep up the good work and congrats on being officially shoulder length!! :yep: