Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 4**

MonaLisa

mrslee said:
Hey Gang!
I have been pretty busy this past month!
For about 4 weeks straight, I had been going to the salon for rollersets. I think it paid off very well. I washed my hair last night and it was just lovely. The texture felt different, it was easy to comb and straighten.
I have gone from washing my hair twice a week to just once a week. I think this is working better for me.

I am still taking my vitamins, drinking plenty of water and using my Indian oils. Vatika oil will be a part of my regimen as long as they carry it!

I received my last relaxer on April 22. I switched to the Affirm lye mild. I LOVE it!!

Last night I did a pre treat with my Indian oils concoction. Washed with Cream of nature and a deep conditioning with Biolage Ultra Hydrating conditoner. Afterwards, I applied a little of Rusk and Chi serum.

I believe I am about an inch away from my goal. Had another trip sometime in April as well.

HAPPY GROWING!!! I think I will be well at my goal by my B-day! :yay:

Hey Girl! Congratulations on the progress!!!:yay:
I've cut down greatly on the pj'ism...but I may have to try this Biolage Ultra Hydrating, been hearing too much about it from reliable heads of hair.

Happy Growing Chica!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
angelbaby said:
I am doing quite well. I have re-gained the length that I had to cut off due to uneven layers. I really haven't been paying that much attention to my hair other than washing, conditioning and putting it in a bun. I finally did a touch up yesterday and I was quite pleased. My ends were basically in tact and thick except for the growth which always makes it a bit uneven. I only had to dust and clip less than 1" in places to even it up.

My regimen continues to be KISS. Keep it Sweet and Simple. I use the Elucence Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. Daily conditioning washes, 2x's weekly shampooing, once a month deep conditioner. Salerm 21 rinsed out lightly. Liquid oil or Elucence Silk Elixir on dripping wet hair. Elucence Moisture Barrier balm on the ends. Super-absorbent towel dry and put in a protective bun.
Wonderful!!! :)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
NewYorkgyrl said:
I 'm ok. Nothing to really be extremely happy about. I have been staying consistent. However, I just purchased MTG so I should be able to start using this by Friday. I haven't had any new length experience, in fact I think I am in need for a really good trim. The last time a pair of scissors touched my hair was in November. That was when I thought I was getting a trim and left the shop with a CUT! I am soooo paranoid now that I feel like never getting a trim but I really need it.
My setbacks have been somewhat major. I don't think I can do the baggie method as a way of protecting my ends. It does not work with me (cry cry). All that oil sitting on the top of my head in a bag caused so much breakage. I tried it on wet hair as well as dry hair. I think I will just try to oil my ends at night (lightly) on dry hair and wear my hair in a bun to protect the ends.
I am so sorry to hear about the setbacks. I too have experience so breakage so I understand. If the baggie is causing so much damage to your hair it's best to leave it alone. Do what you know is best for your hair. Hang in there lady!

Have you tried trimming your hair yourself?? I do it with great results!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
mrslee said:
Hey Gang!
I have been pretty busy this past month!
For about 4 weeks straight, I had been going to the salon for rollersets. I think it paid off very well. I washed my hair last night and it was just lovely. The texture felt different, it was easy to comb and straighten.
I have gone from washing my hair twice a week to just once a week. I think this is working better for me.

I am still taking my vitamins, drinking plenty of water and using my Indian oils. Vatika oil will be a part of my regimen as long as they carry it!

I received my last relaxer on April 22. I switched to the Affirm lye mild. I LOVE it!!

Last night I did a pre treat with my Indian oils concoction. Washed with Cream of nature and a deep conditioning with Biolage Ultra Hydrating conditoner. Afterwards, I applied a little of Rusk and Chi serum.

I believe I am about an inch away from my goal. Had another trip sometime in April as well.

HAPPY GROWING!!! I think I will be well at my goal by my B-day! :yay:
I love to hear good news!! Keep up the good work!

mrslee

Love yourself first!
MonaLisa said:
Hey Girl! Congratulations on the progress!!!:yay:
I've cut down greatly on the pj'ism...but I may have to try this Biolage Ultra Hydrating, been hearing too much about it from reliable heads of hair.

Happy Growing Chica!

Hey Girl!!! I miss you!! I miss SG too!!

Give it a try. The Biolage is a staple for me as well! I have cut down on the PJ'ism as well. I think my hair is thanking me for it! LOL!

:yay:
I am going to try and update my pics this month!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
AudraChanell said:
I've done quite a bit to my hair :spank: Added a little brown color tot he front and cut bangs.

I also trimmed 1 1/2 to 2 inches last night. Otherwise, I am fine :)
I am sure that your hair is just as beautiful as ever!!

mrslee

Love yourself first!
dontspeakdefeat said:
I love to hear good news!! Keep up the good work!

I forgot to mention I also received some highlights in the front of my hair. They are copper reddish. Nothing too drastic!

MonaLisa

mrslee said:
I forgot to mention I also received some highlights in the front of my hair. They are copper reddish. Nothing too drastic!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Shucky Ducky....Quack...Quack.....

NewYorkgyrl

Have you tried trimming your hair yourself?? I do it with great results![/QUOTE]

LOL I can';t even imagine myself with a pair of scissors right now. I am too scared to try it myself but the thought has crossed my mind. How did you learn to do it yourself and how did it come out your first time. Did you trim too much, too little or unevenly?

skegeesmb

Doing good. Still doing the same thing, and still transitioning! I cut a little bit last month, so I'm at 25".

Chin

How is everyone doing?
not so good

Are you staying consistent with your routines? No, trying to find out what works for my hair.

Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I started using Frenchee but I hate the smell. So right now I going to start mixing Glovers and Sulfur 8 together.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length?
My hair is pretty much the same from the last time I posted my pictures. I cut about 1 inch overall.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
NewYorkgyrl said:
Have you tried trimming your hair yourself?? I do it with great results!

LOL I can';t even imagine myself with a pair of scissors right now. I am too scared to try it myself but the thought has crossed my mind. How did you learn to do it yourself and how did it come out your first time. Did you trim too much, too little or unevenly?[/QUOTE]

This is what helped me:

http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=32536&highlight=trim

I usually don't trim too much. I start small and snip more if I need to. As long as everything is centered it shouldn't come out uneven.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Princess_Teearra said:
How is everyone doing?
not so good

Are you staying consistent with your routines? No, trying to find out what works for my hair.

Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I started using Frenchee but I hate the smell. So right now I going to start mixing Glovers and Sulfur 8 together.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length?
My hair is pretty much the same from the last time I posted my pictures. I cut about 1 inch overall.
I am sorry to hear that you are not doing so well.

Sometimes it's best if we just keep our routines simple. That way we won't get discouraged from taking care of our hair regularly.

Just know that once you find the products you are searching for and remain consistent your hair will thank you and respond by thriving and growing long healthy and strong.

MomofThreeBoys

How is everyone doing? I would say good not great. I'm still experiencing a little breakage from that surge fiasco.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I'm still learning and trying to find products that work for me but I will say I have found the bomb deep conditioner in Salerm Wheat Germ Mask.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I have gained about an inch in the last 10 weeks and will be cutting 1/4 -1/2 inch in the next week.

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? No setbacks so far. Though I am at 11 weeks post and feel that my hair is starting to shed and break a little more.

Hair2day

How is everyone doing? I am doing well.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I have been staying consistent with my routine. I did discover keracare humecto & vo5 blueberries & milk conditioners, both which I love.
Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? Yes I am gaining length, approx. 1/2 inch per month:).

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? I have had no significant setbacks so far, even so I am ALWAYS IN NEED OF ENCOURAGEMENT

I am just taking things one day at a time. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

MJ

I'm doing pretty good. I'm in week 16 week my personal 21-week "Super Stretch" challenge. (My apologies for not following up on the thread I'd created folks, it's hard, don't know how to you do it DSD).

I just redid my braids after six weeks. I did them myself and I've gotten so much better at attatching them without them slipping. Buying Robin's braid video was on of the BEST investments I've ever made.

I had some serious build ups though -- hard as rock, etc. -- so I'm changing my braid routine and and will follow the Crown and Glory method for the next 5 weeks and see how that works. My scalp is becoming very sensitive (irritated almost), especially around the crown are, and I hope that doesn't turn into anything nasty.

My hair is growing, about an 1" of new growth (I think I get about 1/4" each month). With the braids I've been retaining my growth, so I'm happy.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
natalied said:
How is everyone doing? I would say good not great. I'm still experiencing a little breakage from that surge fiasco.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I'm still learning and trying to find products that work for me but I will say I have found the bomb deep conditioner in Salerm Wheat Germ Mask.

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I have gained about an inch in the last 10 weeks and will be cutting 1/4 -1/2 inch in the next week.

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? No setbacks so far. Though I am at 11 weeks post and feel that my hair is starting to shed and break a little more.
I am glad you like the Salerm Wheat Germ Mask!. Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing breakage. I can sympathize with you because for the first time since I joined the boards I am experiencing breakage too! Just give your hair plenty of moisture and be gentle with it.

You may need to go ahead and relax your hair if your are experiencing shedding. You have done well by stretching your relaxer this long.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hair2day said:
How is everyone doing? I am doing well.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine. I have been staying consistent with my routine. I did discover keracare humecto & vo5 blueberries & milk conditioners, both which I love.
Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? Yes I am gaining length, approx. 1/2 inch per month:).

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? I have had no significant setbacks so far, even so I am ALWAYS IN NEED OF ENCOURAGEMENT

I am just taking things one day at a time. Good luck to everyone.
See how your consistency is paying off! Keep up the good work. Your hair will reward you for it!! HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
mzjones said:
I'm doing pretty good. I'm in week 16 week my personal 21-week "Super Stretch" challenge. (My apologies for not following up on the thread I'd created folks, it's hard, don't know how to you do it DSD).

I just redid my braids after six weeks. I did them myself and I've gotten so much better at attatching them without them slipping. Buying Robin's braid video was on of the BEST investments I've ever made.

I had some serious build ups though -- hard as rock, etc. -- so I'm changing my braid routine and and will follow the Crown and Glory method for the next 5 weeks and see how that works. My scalp is becoming very sensitive (irritated almost), especially around the crown are, and I hope that doesn't turn into anything nasty.

My hair is growing, about an 1" of new growth (I think I get about 1/4" each month). With the braids I've been retaining my growth, so I'm happy.
:) :) It's great to hear that you are retaining all that growth. I hope your scalp is not sentive because the weight of the braids. Isn't the braid video great. Especially for people who don't know anything about braiding. I used her video to do my first set of braids.

Nenah

I have been doing good and have not had any breakage. I used Breakfree and coconut oil and place in a bun after air drying. I dont't think I'm going to make it for my next touch up in June so I may give myself a touch up in 2 weeks.

hottopic

How is everyone doing?
I am doing great.

Are you staying consistent with your routines?
Somewhat..I stopped taking my GNC Hair and Nails. However, I still try to avoid direct heat, I condtion wash 2-3 times a week, with a shampoo and deep condition once a week. Also, I am texturizing with lye..I just started since my last relaxer, 5/02/05.

Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine? MTG

Are you gaining length? Have you cut any length? I had about 3" of growth since I started the challege. I did not cut on my last relaxer on Monday. DARE TO COMPARE GROWTH !!

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? I stretched for 3 months and started having some major breakage. To the point where I was scared to comb even in the shower. I am pushing for 4 months next time. Hopefully I could make it.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Still using the same routine. I am trying to go 12 months with protected ends and no trim so I don't wear my hair out. I wear a bun and baggie consistently.

If I could just increase my water intake...Still hanging in there. I haven't cut anything but can't tell about growth because my hair is natural and I have not applied any heat. I think that it's growing. I pulled a strand out and it was about 2 inches from my belly button. Trying to retain between 4-6 inches of healthy hair in 2005. Don't plan to put any heat or press out hair until December 2005. My hair is shiny and strong and low maintenance. I'm holding steady and happy with my hair. :)

angellazette

I'm still going, with my usual products. I still haven't relaxed so I'm a little over 3 months post. I've tried comparing my growth to last year when I went 5 months without a relaxer, and I *THINK* that I have achieved the same amount of growth, but in less time :grin: My hair shrinks up like crazy too now with the new growth so I'm not too sure of my real length.

msincognito

I had to cut a couple of inches off due to breakage, so I ended up layering my hair in a short flip style.

My regime has been consistent, but on the advice of stylist I have incorporated a few Dudley products.

LadyZ

I am staying consistent....
I am going to start doing more cw's to see if I can get some growth going.... My pictures in signature are from Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. ... Seems as though it is filling in...

Happy Healthy Hair Growing:woot:

Last edited:

shelli4018

How is everyone doing? Things are fine. My post partum shedding seems to have stopped. However I'm not sure if my hairline is filling in again. I suppose I'll need more time to tell. In the meantime, I'm wearing my texturized hair in a low puff with very little manipulation.

Are you staying consistent with your routines? Well, I wanted to employ the baggie method. But I'm just not the type who can deal with a phonytail. It just irritates me.

Have you found any new products that you like and are going to add to your routine? Yep! Aussie Moist Conditioner and Aveda Elixir. They make my hair so soft and easy to comb. I'm still looking for a product that imparts shine.

Are you gaining length? Yes. My hair grows nicely. But I tend to clip it alot. Mostly because I rush through the detangling process. Eventually my ends look ragged and I have to cut them. Patience and a good detangler fits the bill.
Have you cut any length? Yes. I trimmed the back. My hair grows faster in the back. It was begining to look like a mullet!

Anyone have setbacks and need encouragement? I suppose the post partum shedding is a setback. But a temporary one. My son was/is sooo worth it.