Super Grow Out Challenge **Update Month 5**

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Growingitlong said:
I am still keeping the faith. I am now about 11 weeks post relaxer and trying to get to six months this time around. Going to try braiding through out summer and then do a touch up somewhere about mid Septemeber. That will be six months. New growth so far looks like slightly more than an inch when stretched. So wish me luck. Maybe I might just get that 3 inches by September. Plan to do a trim then, meantime I am holding out on the tims but I am itching to do it. The b raids should help with that.
Sounds like a plan! You grow girl!!

hopeful

Hi everybody:wave:

My hair is doing fine. I've been natural for four months now. Last month I put myself on a personal challenge to be more gentle with my hair. I comb it a lot less and keep it in braids for like a week, wear it out for a day or two and put it back in braids after pooing with CON and deep conditioning with evoo added to conditioner. So my hair is happy and healthy and growing, but I am bored. I know if I keep it in braids it will continue to grow and thrive, I know once it's long enough for a pony I will be happy but until then I guess I will have to be patient. I think I will try to find a healthy way to wear it out more because I always feel happier and prettier when it's out. Hopefully by July's update I'll have figured something out.

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Yes

Have you lost or gained any length? Gained

Post your progress here no matter how much or how little!! I don't really measure but I focus on new things I can do. I recently blew out my fro and it was kinda big and fluffy. I see a nice difference month to month.

tasha

bocagirl said:
I'm doing good so far.

Have not been consistent with my regime at all, I don't even have one so I need to develop one I guess, for now I'm going with what my hair feels like it needs and I think it's working.

I have both gained and lost. My nape area on the left side is constantly breaking but the rest of my hair is growing. I'm going to see the doc because I had cut it all off and it's still not growing back, just breaking, breaking, breaking.

Post your progress here no matter how much or how little!!

Last edited:

sweetpeadst

dontspeakdefeat said:
I will pm it too you if you really wanna know!!

I wanna know the recipe as well!!

By the way my hair is doing well!! I have finally found some staples!! I am to wash every three days! I retained some growth from not trimming!! I also am trying not to trim until December hopefully! I do have a little shedding though.

jodydreams

This is my 6th month without a relaxer. I have been stretching with braids and weaves. I'm not really sticking to my regimine because I havent really developed one yet :look: I'm just going with the flow. After I take this weave out Im going to relax (with a mild perm) beause I fear breakage due to going 6 months without a perm.

LadyZ

Hi DSD,

I am doing OK...
getting and retaining a little length...
My biggest trouble is at 3 weeks before touch-up time... when the breakage and shedding starts:mad: .... I know now that I have to CW every other day to stop this...
A year later and I am still learning about my hair:perplexed ...

I'm retainging so that's the good part

beloved1

How is everyone doing?

Great, great, great. My hair is getting healthy for the first time, and growing even though I'm wearing it out everyday.

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Pretty much. I have continued to improve on it though as a newcomer. I'm still on a high protein diet, taking vitamins, drinking lots of water and exercising. I deep condition weekly or bi-weekly (light protein) and moisturize 2x a day. I've reduced the heat and only use maxi-glide -low temp.

Have you lost or gained any length? I have gotten 3.5 inches in 4 months since joining the board. I trimmed 1/2 inch after relaxing. My signature originally read "chin-length bob" when I came in Feb. I changed it to "almost collar bone length" this month:) Unfortunately, the back bottom quarter of my hair needs a lot more help so I will baby it and hopefully will reach shoulder by the end of the year.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
hopeful said:
Hi everybody:wave:

My hair is doing fine. I've been natural for four months now. Last month I put myself on a personal challenge to be more gentle with my hair. I comb it a lot less and keep it in braids for like a week, wear it out for a day or two and put it back in braids after pooing with CON and deep conditioning with evoo added to conditioner. So my hair is happy and healthy and growing, but I am bored. I know if I keep it in braids it will continue to grow and thrive, I know once it's long enough for a pony I will be happy but until then I guess I will have to be patient. I think I will try to find a healthy way to wear it out more because I always feel happier and prettier when it's out. Hopefully by July's update I'll have figured something out.

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Yes

Have you lost or gained any length? Gained

Post your progress here no matter how much or how little!! I don't really measure but I focus on new things I can do. I recently blew out my fro and it was kinda big and fluffy. I see a nice difference month to month.
Wonderful to hear. Hang it there all of the tlc and consistency will pay off!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
jodydreams said:
This is my 6th month without a relaxer. I have been stretching with braids and weaves. I'm not really sticking to my regimine because I havent really developed one yet :look: I'm just going with the flow. After I take this weave out Im going to relax (with a mild perm) beause I fear breakage due to going 6 months without a perm.
Six months?? Wow!! You grow girl. You are going to have mega length once you relax again. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
LadyZ said:
Hi DSD,

I am doing OK...
getting and retaining a little length...
My biggest trouble is at 3 weeks before touch-up time... when the breakage and shedding starts:mad: .... I know now that I have to CW every other day to stop this...
A year later and I am still learning about my hair:perplexed ...

I'm retainging so that's the good part
Do we ever stop learning about our hair?? I am glad to hear that you are retaining length.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
beloved1 said:
How is everyone doing?

Great, great, great. My hair is getting healthy for the first time, and growing even though I'm wearing it out everyday.

Are you remaining consistent with you routines? Pretty much. I have continued to improve on it though as a newcomer. I'm still on a high protein diet, taking vitamins, drinking lots of water and exercising. I deep condition weekly or bi-weekly (light protein) and moisturize 2x a day. I've reduced the heat and only use maxi-glide -low temp.

Have you lost or gained any length? I have gotten 3.5 inches in 4 months since joining the board. I trimmed 1/2 inch after relaxing. My signature originally read "chin-length bob" when I came in Feb. I changed it to "almost collar bone length" this month:) Unfortunately, the back bottom quarter of my hair needs a lot more help so I will baby it and hopefully will reach shoulder by the end of the year.
What a wonderful success story!! Keep up the good work.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
dontspeakdefeat said:
Girl, you are doing a great job staying consistent. Your hair will ...love you for it!! HHG

thank you DSD!!:D I was kinda sad for awhile there because I thought that you had missed my update because I hadn't recieved yor inspiring words of encouragement for this challenge! I updated my fokti and have my new touch up pics is you want to take a peek.:D :)

http://public.fotki.com/Vicky1685/june_2005/

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Doing good. Tried once again to self relax with Affirm and came out underprocessed, so I think that I am going to leave self relaxing alone. I don't know if I'm not putting enought relaxer on my head or what. Got a trim also, just a 1/2 inch and my ends thanked me for it :D

Beside that I'm doing good. I have been wearing a 3/4 wear which I really love and cornrowing my hair under it. My regimine for the month has been:

Once a week - pre-shampoo, shampoo, deep condition, moisturze, air dry and cornrow. I braid it so that the front row I can take out in the morning to bend with the fall.
Each evening, I use surge and spray moisturezer and braid the front row and leave alone.

Every three days - Take down cornrow and CO and follow the above.

I am seeing some growth when I take down the braids and the easier it gets for me to braid my hair I know that it is growing and not breaking. This regimine has been working very well for me. I may wear my hair out a little but this is going to be my main summer style

Sapphire

kinks n curls girl
I'm doin pretty good here. I have managed to stick to my regimen and I think I'm seeing some growth. :) I'm trying to see how long I can go without a touch-up. I usually go about 3 months, I'm shootin for 5-6.

Congrats DSD our FOTM! :D

BronzedGoddess

Checking in. I'm doing ok. I'm just now getting a routine together and sticking with it. I've just added GNC hair, skin and nails vitamins this month. I trimmed about an inch off, because I wasn't happy with my ends. Here are my progress pictures: http://public.fotki.com/BronzedGoddess/ password is 5683 . My goal is to be arm pit length by 1 September.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
LadyR said:
Doing good. Tried once again to self relax with Affirm and came out underprocessed, so I think that I am going to leave self relaxing alone. I don't know if I'm not putting enought relaxer on my head or what. Got a trim also, just a 1/2 inch and my ends thanked me for it :D

Beside that I'm doing good. I have been wearing a 3/4 wear which I really love and cornrowing my hair under it. My regimine for the month has been:

Once a week - pre-shampoo, shampoo, deep condition, moisturze, air dry and cornrow. I braid it so that the front row I can take out in the morning to bend with the fall.
Each evening, I use surge and spray moisturezer and braid the front row and leave alone.

Every three days - Take down cornrow and CO and follow the above.

I am seeing some growth when I take down the braids and the easier it gets for me to braid my hair I know that it is growing and not breaking. This regimine has been working very well for me. I may wear my hair out a little but this is going to be my main summer style
Sorry about the underprocessing. Maybe you should get a friend to due your relaxer if you have one you can trust.

I bet that you will have gained so much length with your summer routine. Congrats on the growth. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Sapphire said:
I'm doin pretty good here. I have managed to stick to my regimen and I think I'm seeing some growth. :) I'm trying to see how long I can go without a touch-up. I usually go about 3 months, I'm shootin for 5-6.

Congrats DSD our FOTM! :D
Thank you! :grin:
Congrats on the growth and sticking to your regimen. I wish you luck stretching your relaxer to 6 months. You can do it!!:weird:

PaperDoll said:
Just checking in..no updates.
I am glad you did!! :wave:

BronzedGoddess said:
Checking in. I'm doing ok. I'm just now getting a routine together and sticking with it. I've just added GNC hair, skin and nails vitamins this month. I trimmed about an inch off, because I wasn't happy with my ends. Here are my progress pictures: http://public.fotki.com/BronzedGoddess/ password is 5683 . My goal is to be arm pit length by 1 September.
I think you are well on your way to armpit. Your hair looks great and the vits should help you along the way! Good Luck.

angellazette

dontspeakdefeat said:
Great job being 17 weeks post. Shrinkage makes it really hard to tell if we gained length between relaxers. Sometimes it makes our hair look shorter. Girl, I wouldn't even worry about whether you have gained length because I know you have!! Just wait and see.

It is so crazy, it doesn't even seem like 17 weeks (now 18). I have no complaints, except for the itchies! :look: